Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

It's just an iPad Pro in the smaller form factor. Wasn't that complicated.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Mandals posted:

I'm biased because I'm waiting on a rMBP refresh, but that keynote was...underwhelming. Just minor iterations to existing products delivered via stilted presentations. It managed to feel both rushed and plodding at the same time. I love Tim and Phil, but they lack Steve's natural sense of timing and showmanship. Craig is better, but they didn't use him today.

Just disappointing overall. I love Apple, but I'm starting to get confused by the product lines (seriously wtf is going on with the # of SKUs in the iPad line).

Not every keynote can be a brand new groundbreaking product.

Biodome
Nov 21, 2006

Gerry

Mandals posted:

I'm biased because I'm waiting on a rMBP refresh, but that keynote was...underwhelming. Just minor iterations to existing products delivered via stilted presentations. It managed to feel both rushed and plodding at the same time. I love Tim and Phil, but they lack Steve's natural sense of timing and showmanship. Craig is better, but they didn't use him today.

Just disappointing overall. I love Apple, but I'm starting to get confused by the product lines (seriously wtf is going on with the # of SKUs in the iPad line).

You want them to introduce something new but also think there are too many products?

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Norris'es are back baby. It's good again. Awoouu (fox Howl)
I've waited this long, I can wait longer for Skylake unless I see an insane deal.

Mandals
Aug 31, 2004

Isn't it pretty to think so.

Biodome posted:

You want them to introduce something new but also think there are too many products?

Can't it be both? Pare back the product lines AND release new professional models.

EDIT - Sweet, sweet vindication - http://www.theverge.com/2016/3/21/11278554/apple-ipad-pro-iphone-se-confusing-product-names

Mandals fucked around with this message at 06:16 on Mar 22, 2016

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

If you want a MacBook, wait. If you need one, buy one.

Personally, if they change the form factor you're not going to want the first version anyway. And if they don't, it'll be a minor update so if you get a 2015 you'll be fine. Hell I'm slumming it with a 2013 rMBP :cry:

Mu Zeta posted:

They don't really do events to announce updates to laptops anymore.

No poo poo. If they do do they just say oh hey we put new chips in that one thing. lol faster kthxbye

Pryor on Fire
May 14, 2013

they don't know all alien abduction experiences can be explained by people thinking saving private ryan was a documentary

I'm trying to come up with a word or phrase that conveys how Apple seems to be just aimlessly filling time at these events instead of actually conveying info now, any suggestions? Maybe just "rose gold" used as an adjective, they are certainly in their rose gold phase as a company.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP
Lot of people here expecting something that doesn't normally get announced until June.

numtini
Feb 7, 2010
It does make me wonder why Best Buy just liquidated their entire stock of rMBs.

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Trolling Link for a decade

I Am Crake posted:

:smith::hf::smith:

Buying the 2015 version tomorrow I guess.

Edit - who am I kidding, I'm loving stoked to get my first Mac and it's going to be an amazing thing.

Please do maintain that attitude and ignore us jaded douchebags; we're only kvetching because we want the latest and greatest, every goddamn event.

Oh, and just to toss this in from the OP:

cheese eats mouse
Jul 6, 2007

A real Portlander now

numtini posted:

I think that reflects the poor decisions of Best Buy

Snowmankilla
Dec 6, 2000

True, true

numtini posted:

And makes me feel dumb as hell I missed it.

Jealous Cow
Apr 4, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

numtini posted:

cheese eats mouse posted:

I think that reflects the poor decisions of Best Buy

But everyone was selling them on clearance and suddenly stopped. It wasn't just Best Buy.

I'm rocking a launch day 15" rMBP. It's more than enough for me but I want a MacBook because I could actually use it in economy where I currently can't even get the 15" open more than a few inches.

So, I don't need one, but drat it in irritated.

Weedle
May 31, 2006

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

numtini posted:

Best Buy is circling the drain.

Pivo
Aug 20, 2004

But didn't you guys hear? No one needs laptops anymore. iPad Pro is the future. It's going to replace hundreds of millions of PCs! Now, check out this video with this VFX about how awesome our pencil is.

Oh, laptops really are better? Wacom's been doing that for ages? Any pro work on an iPad still sucks? But oh poo poo you can edit a whole TWO video files at once? Don't tell Tim, guys.

Product to press release. Nothing to see here. They'll update the laptops eventually.

walropodes
Jan 8, 2012

Mu Zeta posted:

They don't really do events to announce updates to laptops anymore.

Yeah, the latest rMBP refresh was done silently wasn't it?

Wonder if they'll do a Mac Pro refresh too - Thunderbolt 3 seems like it'd be a good fit for it. I also hope such a refresh might lead to there being more GPU drivers being made for OSX - a Thunderbolt GPU enclosure would only be useful to macbooks/macpros in a Windows partition if it weren't the case.

computer parts posted:

Lot of people here expecting something that doesn't normally get announced until June.

I think some people thought there'd be a refresh today because if the wait was until June it'd be one of the longest waits ever:

http://buyersguide.macrumors.com/#Retina_MacBook_Pro

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

walropodes posted:

I think some people thought there'd be a refresh today because if the wait was until June it'd be one of the longest waits ever:

http://buyersguide.macrumors.com/#Retina_MacBook_Pro

People were bitching and moaning that those refreshes "didn't count" at the time either because they were so minor people hardly noticed.

If anything, the Macbook Pro had unusually quick updates until recently. Look at the Macbook Air or the iMac, yearly updates is right in line with them.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Pryor on Fire posted:

I'm trying to come up with a word or phrase that conveys how Apple seems to be just aimlessly filling time at these events instead of actually conveying info now, any suggestions? Maybe just "rose gold" used as an adjective, they are certainly in their rose gold phase as a company.

WE'RE GOING TO RAISE CHICKENS ON THE ROOF OF THE SPACESHIP AND ALL EMPLOYEES GET TO TAKE THE EGGS HOME

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Let's talk about forestry

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

"The original Terminator was a gritty fucking AMAZING piece of sci-fi. Gritty fucking rock-hard MURDER!"

Pryor on Fire posted:

Gilding the rose

walropodes
Jan 8, 2012

Phillibustering?

Cingulate
Oct 23, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
Thanks for not releasing the iCar today Tim. Now we're facing another month of newspaper editorials about after Steve's death, Apple is doomed because it can't innovate anymore.

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

"The original Terminator was a gritty fucking AMAZING piece of sci-fi. Gritty fucking rock-hard MURDER!"

walropodes posted:

Phillibustering?

Ooh I like this one too

I Am Crake
Mar 31, 2010

There is so much beautiful in the world if you look around. You are only looking at the dirt under your feet, Jimmy. It's not good for you.

Binary Badger posted:

Please do maintain that attitude and ignore us jaded douchebags; we're only kvetching because we want the latest and greatest, every goddamn event.

Oh, and just to toss this in from the OP:

Ha! I can sort of see that timeline happening. I did spend a lot of time considering it though and I've worked with Macs at school and such. Shortcuts are going to take some getting used to although I've figured out all of them by myself already, don't really play games on the PC anymore and basically all the reasons I had for using Windows went out the window a couple of years ago since I've started using computers mostly for writing, image editing, web surfing and media.

I'm really digging the display so far and general look and feel of it, the aluminum feels soft to the touch somehow, which is very different coming from an ASUS. That one had the insane ability to feel colder than even after hours of use, which was kinda cool as well.

So far the only thing I'm a little bummed out the smooth scrolling doesn't happen when you use a Logitech mouse.

What extension do you guys use for ad blocking in safari? uBlock Origin isn't available.

Mandals
Aug 31, 2004

Isn't it pretty to think so.
Let's say I wanted to sell an iMac and 11" Air in order to consolidate down to one machine. Are my only options CL and eBay and random friends on FB? I'm not necessarily looking for the best possible deal--I'd prioritize easy over dealing with the hive of villainy that is Internet Buyers.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

numtini posted:

The entry level rMBP is $65 off today, in what world is that "liquidating their stock"?

Finster Dexter
Oct 20, 2014

Beyond is Finster's mad vision of Earth transformed.

FCKGW posted:

The entry level rMBP is $65 off today, in what world is that "liquidating their stock"?

That's something like a $63 loss.

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Trolling Link for a decade

I Am Crake posted:

Ha! I can sort of see that timeline happening. I did spend a lot of time considering it though and I've worked with Macs at school and such. Shortcuts are going to take some getting used to although I've figured out all of them by myself already, don't really play games on the PC anymore and basically all the reasons I had for using Windows went out the window a couple of years ago since I've started using computers mostly for writing, image editing, web surfing and media.

I'm really digging the display so far and general look and feel of it, the aluminum feels soft to the touch somehow, which is very different coming from an ASUS. That one had the insane ability to feel colder than even after hours of use, which was kinda cool as well.

So far the only thing I'm a little bummed out the smooth scrolling doesn't happen when you use a Logitech mouse.

What extension do you guys use for ad blocking in safari? uBlock Origin isn't available.

Did you get the Retina MBP?

I use regular uBlock, never had any issues. https://www.ublock.org

Tried installing this?

Binary Badger fucked around with this message at 22:32 on Mar 21, 2016

Neurophonic
May 2, 2009
Well, this is a bit odd.

Any ideas? PRAM etc doesn't seem to have helped.

Pivo
Aug 20, 2004

have you zapped pram and whatever edit: ignore me, i didn't see that part of your post.

it's out of warranty but you might need a new battery. did this happen suddenly?

Neurophonic
May 2, 2009

Pivo posted:

have you zapped pram and whatever edit: ignore me, i didn't see that part of your post.

it's out of warranty but you might need a new battery. did this happen suddenly?

Yep, generally been fine for the last good while. New battery would have been my first shout hence the Coconut Battery download and check, but it seems to be pretty good and nowhere near through its full cycle range.

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

FCKGW posted:

He meant the 12" MacBook. Best Buy just had a $300 off sale a week or two ago. May have been (up to) $300 off (the most expensive configuration), idk, but still a large amount to discount for no apparent reason.

Pivo
Aug 20, 2004

Neurophonic posted:

Yep, generally been fine for the last good while. New battery would have been my first shout hence the Coconut Battery download and check, but it seems to be pretty good and nowhere near through its full cycle range.

Yeah, but it is pretty old, and may be out of calibration... Have you tried fully discharging it, and then fully charging it without a load?

There's not really much you can do to troubleshoot batteries unfortunately, that I know of. I mean, back when laptop batteries were just an assortment of 18650s you could disassemble them and test each cell individually, but now that Apple's using custom molded batteries, it's not like you can just easily tear into one.

It might just be that the solution is a new battery. These things are wear items. And hey, 600 cycles in 4 years isn't bad, you got some life out of that thing.

I Am Crake
Mar 31, 2010

There is so much beautiful in the world if you look around. You are only looking at the dirt under your feet, Jimmy. It's not good for you.

Binary Badger posted:

Did you get the Retina MBP?

I use regular uBlock, never had any issues. https://www.ublock.org

Tried installing this?

Thanks, I'll try uBlock. I think the mouse scrolling is a hardware thing, supposedly the touchpad has a crazy resolution that allows for the smooth movement or something and a mouse scroll wheel doesn't have it.

I am using the rMBP, 13 inch with 256GB SSD and 8GB RAM. Didn't want to pay 200 euros for the RAM upgrade, so I hope 8GB will last me a couple of years.

numtini
Feb 7, 2010

quote:

He meant the 12" MacBook. Best Buy just had a $300 off sale a week or two ago. May have been (up to) $300 off (the most expensive configuration), idk, but still a large amount to discount for no apparent reason.

She meant, actually. And it was $300 off all the rMB models. The entry model is sold out online and searching for stock, it's sold out in every store within 250 miles. They didn't just discount it, but the let the discount ride until they were sold out. The 1.2/512GB is still available and still $300 off. Unless they're dropping the item entirely.

Jealous Cow
Apr 4, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
Looks like BBY still has the top non-BTO option $300 off. Weird that both specs are the same $ off.

Maybe I'll just get one now with the huge discount.

BobHoward
Feb 13, 2012

The only thing white people deserve is a bullet to their empty skull

Neurophonic posted:

Well, this is a bit odd.

Any ideas? PRAM etc doesn't seem to have helped.

Third party battery utilities don't always calculate battery percentage the same way Apple's display does. If your battery life is still OK just ignore the discrepancy and move on.

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

Is the AMD graphics chip on the top spec MBP a meaningful difference? Or, simply put, should I spend the extra $400ish to get it?

If it will enable me to play games, it may be worthwhile, but I'm mostly going to do photo editing, coding, and office-type software on this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!
What kind of games because there's a huge difference between Hearthstone and whatever the current top of the line fps is.

It's probably not worth it though either way and your $400 would be better spent with an additional $200 to build a PC.