Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?

Mr Executive posted:

What's the best free app for backing up everything before performing a factory reset?

Helium, but it's hit or miss because it's just a nice interface for the ADB commands, and developers can block those commands if they choose.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nimper
Jun 19, 2003

livin' in a hopium den

Doctor Butts posted:

The latest versions of Maps are incredible. I love how Google keeps making this app even more awesome.

Just silly little additions like putting the street name in a bubble on the map makes a big difference.

The timeline thing is :tinfoil: as gently caress but it's neat to go back through and look/remember where you were on a certain day.

grimcreaper
Jan 7, 2012

nimper posted:

The timeline thing is :tinfoil: as gently caress but it's neat to go back through and look/remember where you were on a certain day.

"Look officer, i know Google Maps says i was at their house during the EXACT time they were robbed, but im telling you i was there! ... I would have gotten away with it if it wasnt for you Google Maps and your Timeline technology."

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS

bull3964 posted:

There actually are quite a few differences between QC 3.0 and QC 2.0. I don't know if the increase in charging time is something to worry about, but the QC 3.0 implementation is superior to QC 2.0.

Maybe they're just playing it conservative this time with Quick Charge 3.0 and USB-C because they felt ridiculous jumping on the Micro USB 3.0 wagon early and finding out no one came with them.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Harik posted:

It needs to be: "Ok google" "Add a feed from paul krugman" then expand from there. When they add that, I'll engage with it. Until then, stop trying to sell me on it.

That's been there for a while now. If you don't like Now that's fine, I think you'd generate less pushback though if your criticisms weren't completely incorrect.

Harik
Sep 9, 2001

From the hard streets of Moscow
First dog to touch the stars

Plaster Town Cop

LastInLine posted:

That's been there for a while now. If you don't like Now that's fine, I think you'd generate less pushback though if your criticisms weren't completely incorrect.

Where? If it's there, it's completely hidden. I've gone through all the settings and there's nothing in there anywhere about adding your own feed (or google voice integration)

Doctor Butts
May 21, 2002

Harik posted:

Ahh yes. Big Data - apparently, over a year ago, I swiped away weather once. That meant I never ever wanted to see it again, and I had to find it buried 3 menus deep in "other cards", where everything was "yes, I want to see weather updates" but that was all overruled by "no, I didn't want to see it this one time."

When you swiped it away the first time it either asked if you ever wanted to see it again or it said something like 'ok, we will never bug you about it again'. In fact the first few times you wanted to try to use Now it would have told you how to get back to things you swiped away.

quote:

Scrolling down it's nothing but clickbait headlines.

If you don't want Google Now to show you clickbait articles all the time, then stop looking up and reading clickbait articles.

I mean, sure I get poo poo on the feed every now and then from a detestable website, but it is few and far between.

Being able to prioritize Google Now cards would be incredible but sadly they don't allow that yet.

Doctor Butts fucked around with this message at 23:20 on Mar 21, 2016

Harik
Sep 9, 2001

Plaster Town Cop

Doctor Butts posted:

When you swiped it away the first time it either asked if you ever wanted to see it again or it said something like 'ok, we will never bug you about it again'. In fact the first few times you wanted to try to use Now it would have told you how to get back to things you swiped away.

I'm sure I did, but it didn't turn off the main setting under "show me weather", it instead turned off something that wasn't obviously related 3 submenus deep. Again, it means it's a bad product made badly, stop telling me I'm using it wrong. If "Show me weather" is turned on, and it doesn't show up, that's broken - full stop.

Doctor Butts posted:

If you don't want Google Now to show you clickbait articles all the time, then stop looking up and reading clickbait articles.

I mean, sure I get poo poo on the feed every now and then from a detestable website, but it is few and far between.
That's the problem - I don't want to read anything it currently gives me so it just picks clickbait from my google searches. I was researching phones so a good 2/3 of my feed right now is "Oh, you're interested in android?", and it's all clickbait like "7 reasons you need to buy the new S7!!!" It's chicken & egg - it needs to give me something interesting so I can tell it to give me more like that.

It's back to the original problem:

Harik posted:

There's not even a way to seed it with content I want aside from repeatedly google searching for things on the desktop site and clicking through. Edit: searching on mobile works too

It needs to be: "Ok google" "Add a feed from paul krugman" then expand from there. When they add that, I'll engage with it. Until then, stop trying to sell me on it.

I don't want to curate it's poo poo away and hope something I want shows up so I can say 'yes' to it. As is, I have to repeatedly search for a topic in the hopes that the ~~~algorithm~~~ will decide I'm interested in it, then I find the card it thinks is related and ask for more like it. Look at how Pandora works: give it some artists and tracks you like, and it starts down that path. Google Now doesn't have a way for you to directly influence it's seeds, only yes/no to what it randomly picks.

As an example: the account I'm logged into is my main account. I search the poo poo out of news on graphics and VR tech. Not a single Now card I have reflects that.

LastInLine posted:

You were saying?

Harik fucked around with this message at 23:49 on Mar 21, 2016

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Harik posted:

Where? If it's there, it's completely hidden. I've gone through all the settings and there's nothing in there anywhere about adding your own feed (or google voice integration)

If you use Feedly your RSS feeds and preferences are fed into Google Now.

I have to say at least as far as I can tell, Now does a good job with showing me things I'd want to see when I want to see them. I really like the new-ish weather notification when the next day has a large temperature difference from today.

Daily Forecast
Dec 25, 2008

by R. Guyovich

hooah posted:

Helium, but it's hit or miss because it's just a nice interface for the ADB commands, and developers can block those commands if they choose.

I used Helium to move my wife's Neko Atsume cats from her old phone to her new one, so that was cool.

Harik
Sep 9, 2001

Plaster Town Cop

LastInLine posted:

If you use Feedly your RSS feeds and preferences are fed into Google Now.

In other words, you were completely wrong when you told me that it's been able to do that for a while. Telling me "I'm using it wrong" because it requires undocumented interactions in a completely separate program is the kind of bullshit we mock companies for doing. Now is extremely user-hostile when it comes to configuring it. Visible settings overruled by deeply hidden ones, undocumented interactions with separate apps/websites. Do you know how you find out that Feedly works with google now? You have to already be using Feedly. If you're not, it's not mentioned anywhere unless you specifically search for "google now" and "feedly" at the same time.

Edit: what you're actually saying is that I should use Feedly, not Google Now. You should have said that from the beginning, I was looking for a decent mobile reader.

Harik fucked around with this message at 00:02 on Mar 22, 2016

Daily Forecast
Dec 25, 2008

by R. Guyovich

Harik posted:

is the kind of bullshit we mock companies for doing.

Oh but you see, if Google is doing it, it's totally cool and correct. :rolleyes:

"Don't be evil", remember?

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

Daily Forecast posted:

"Don't be evil", remember?

I'm not sure how this subject is evil, but anyway...

Yes, Now isn't very good at letting you customize it, but, for me, it gives me nonsense news articles maybe 5% of the time. In other words, Google knows all about me and I'm glad for it.

I'm not sure how Google knows what to give me and why it would others wrong stuff constantly. However, I'm not really sure granular customization is the solution. If you want specific articles from specific sources there are better solutions than a machine-learning-backed thing like Now.

What Now should do is give you better feedback about why it's showing you what it's showing you, better tools for sending in positive or negative signals, and better feedback about the effects of sending such signals.

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

whoa, what just happened here?

College Slice
Now's now letting people opt out of entire sources, but much like Gamer ID, the slow rollout hasn't hit me yet.

maltesh
May 20, 2004

Uncle Ben: Still Dead.
It's been months since I've gotten any Stories to Read except new item notifications from the Revolutions Podcast. I wish I knew what I'd done to break things.

Desk Lamp
Jun 30, 2014
The ratio of crap to interesting articles is sometimes off for me too, but as I understand it the end goal of Now is to be an independent AI that assists you without the need to be managed. I get being annoyed at a bunch of lovely articles cluttering up your feed and cards you actually want to see getting buried, but assuming Google doesn't forget the project exists like they usually do the end result should be a pretty impressive AI that replaces many of the apps we use today.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Desk Lamp posted:

The ratio of crap to interesting articles is sometimes off for me too, but as I understand it the end goal of Now is to be an independent AI that assists you without the need to be managed. I get being annoyed at a bunch of lovely articles cluttering up your feed and cards you actually want to see getting buried, but assuming Google doesn't forget the project exists like they usually do the end result should be a pretty impressive AI that replaces many of the apps we use today.

It's this.

User control isn't the goal at all, the goal is for it be useful without your input. Like Thermopyle, for me it is most of the time.

Harik posted:

In other words, you were completely wrong when you told me that it's been able to do that for a while. Telling me "I'm using it wrong" because it requires undocumented interactions in a completely separate program is the kind of bullshit we mock companies for doing. Now is extremely user-hostile when it comes to configuring it. Visible settings overruled by deeply hidden ones, undocumented interactions with separate apps/websites. Do you know how you find out that Feedly works with google now? You have to already be using Feedly. If you're not, it's not mentioned anywhere unless you specifically search for "google now" and "feedly" at the same time.

Edit: what you're actually saying is that I should use Feedly, not Google Now. You should have said that from the beginning, I was looking for a decent mobile reader.

Like I said, we get it, you don't like Now. I'm just saying that the things you don't like about it are its raison d'etre. This is probably irreconcilable.

And yes, if you want an RSS reader you should be using an RSS reader. I feel like that kind of thing shouldn't need to be mentioned.

Valicious
Aug 16, 2010
any suggestions for cases for the Nexus 5X? Screen protector?

How much am I going to regret going with the 16GB over the 32GB?

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Sharkytm doot doo do doot do doo

Fallen Rib

Valicious posted:

any suggestions for cases for the Nexus 5X? Screen protector?

How much am I going to regret going with the 16GB over the 32GB?

Diztronic. Orzly TGSP.
Lots.

Harik
Sep 9, 2001

Plaster Town Cop

LastInLine posted:

It's this.

User control isn't the goal at all, the goal is for it be useful without your input. Like Thermopyle, for me it is most of the time.

Like I said, we get it, you don't like Now. I'm just saying that the things you don't like about it are its raison d'etre. This is probably irreconcilable.

And yes, if you want an RSS reader you should be using an RSS reader. I feel like that kind of thing shouldn't need to be mentioned.

Except you deliberately left out that you're using your RSS reader to feed Now. You're manually configuring it as a seed. Now wouldn't work for you without Feedly.

Let's compare Pandora to the hypothetical Google Now Music. We all know how pandora works - give it a few seed tracks, it uses big data of all users to come up with things you'll probably like, and you may do some minor maintanence of it from there. How does Google Now Music work? Well it knows the kinds of music you've heard due to Youtube, so start with that - oops, that's random poo poo that people set as soundtracks to their videos, not anything you actually want. Now it's completely random crap, may not have anything you're actually interested in, and it's a constant "No, I really don't want that" battle to try to curate it into something worth using.

Right now I'm getting all Country. How much do I have to wade through before it picks some 80s synthpop for me to approve?

I'll see how it does with Feedly. I bet it'll magically work much better - once I've completely undone it's "raison d'etre".

Harik fucked around with this message at 05:19 on Mar 22, 2016

Wayne Knight
May 11, 2006

I don't really think about it. Now is usually great and useful. You're probably trying to micromanage things. Stop that.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Harik posted:

Except you deliberately left out that you're using your RSS reader to feed Now. You're manually configuring it as a seed. Now wouldn't work for you without Feedly.

Nope, I'm not manually configuring anything. Certain apps, not just Feedly, can contribute their data to Now. This doesn't really help Now in use at all (because, duh, my RSS reader is already informing me of RSS feed updates) but it does help seed Now with more relevant data about my interests so it can inform me about other things that are related to my feed topics.

Harik posted:

I'll see how it does with Feedly. I bet it'll magically work much better - once I've completely undone it's "raison d'etre".

I can already tell you how it will work once you've broken it--poorly. It will inform you that you have a new story in your feed about two days after it was posted. That's how it works for me. That's because informing you about your RSS feed isn't what it is supposed to do and (shocker coming up here) it doesn't do it well.

The fact that you want it to do something it isn't designed to do means it will never do the thing you want it to do. Let's see if someone said this better than me...

RZA Encryption posted:

I don't really think about it. Now is usually great and useful. You're probably trying to micromanage things. Stop that.

Yep, they did.

Harik
Sep 9, 2001

Plaster Town Cop

LastInLine posted:

The fact that you want it to do something it isn't designed to do means it will never do the thing you want it to do. Let's see if someone said this better than me...

Yep, they did.

Jesus christ do you read what you type?

LastInLine posted:

but it does help seed Now with more relevant data about my interests so it can inform me about other things that are related to my feed topics.

Congratulations, you're "micromanaging" it. If you weren't manually curating your interests it would be as worthless to you as it is to me.

LastInLine posted:

I can already tell you how it will work once you've broken it--poorly. It will inform you that you have a new story in your feed about two days after it was posted. That's how it works for me. That's because informing you about your RSS feed isn't what it is supposed to do and (shocker coming up here) it doesn't do it well.
How the gently caress do you put these two paragraphs in the same post and not get why I'm mocking you? It has no loving clue what you or I are interested in, until you tell it. Since there's no built-in way of telling it your interests outside of spamming google searches, you have to find an undocumented way of doing it. That's broken-by-design.

Harik fucked around with this message at 06:20 on Mar 22, 2016

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Harik posted:

Congratulations, you're "micromanaging" it. If you weren't manually curating your interests it would be as worthless to you as it is to me.

I'm not micromanaging it at all, hell, I'm not even managing it. I've done nothing at all with the Now settings. I'm not even sure I've ever opened them apart from when it first launched back on Jelly Bean. I've never tried to game it to give me a source, I've never tried to force it to show me a topic. The only thing I've ever done is always log in to Google at home, on mobile, and at work and swiped away things that don't appeal to me when I look at my Now screen.

That's not micromanaging, that's using it as intended. Before they launched third party app integration it was uncannily good at guessing my interests and it got better when they added it but I did nothing at any point to facilitate this. I knew about it from reading Android blogs but did nothing to seek it out and despite me never having had the Feedly app installed on my phone, it picked up on my RSS feeds without me doing anything (because I use my Google+ login to log in to Feedly). One day it presented a card saying "This is in your Feedly, do you want these cards in the future?" and I said yes.

You're really overthinking this because I'll bet I'm not the only one here for whom Now is useful and who didn't bother to do any configuring whatsoever.

Edit for your edit:

Harik posted:

How the gently caress do you put these two paragraphs in the same post and not get why I'm mocking you? It has no loving clue what you or I are interested in, until you tell it. Since there's no built-in way of telling it your interests outside of spamming google searches, you have to find an undocumented way of doing it. That's broken-by-design.

It knows what I'm interested in because Google knows everything I do on the internet. It knows where I live and where I go, it knows every app I use, it knows every site I visit at home, at work, and on my phone, and it knows my engagement level with those sites. It knows every place I visit and when and for how long and it knows my shopping habits.

Why wouldn't it know what I want to see? Literally every portal into the internet is built, controlled, and monitored by Google themselves.

ClassActionFursuit fucked around with this message at 06:25 on Mar 22, 2016

Wayne Knight
May 11, 2006

Harik posted:

I think you're missing the point. You're still complaining about it. Stop that. Look at your now cards every now and then. Don't want to read that news story? Ok, that's cool. Want to read it? Click on it and read it. It's not that big a deal. Nothing worth getting angry over.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

I LOVE Musk and his pro-first-amendment ways. X is the future.

Harik posted:

Let's compare Pandora to the hypothetical Google Now Music. We all know how pandora works - give it a few seed tracks, it uses big data of all users to come up with things you'll probably like, and you may do some minor maintanence of it from there. How does Google Now Music work? Well it knows the kinds of music you've heard due to Youtube, so start with that - oops, that's random poo poo that people set as soundtracks to their videos, not anything you actually want. Now it's completely random crap, may not have anything you're actually interested in, and it's a constant "No, I really don't want that" battle to try to curate it into something worth using.

Right now I'm getting all Country. How much do I have to wade through before it picks some 80s synthpop for me to approve?

Jesus Christ just search for a couple of 80s synthpop songs and thumbs up them. You're making this entirely too difficult.

My biggest complaints with GNow are 1: the headline is usually enough if I'm looking at news articles; and 2: I've read half of them already (since the cards aren't updated live, afaik).

ilkhan fucked around with this message at 06:33 on Mar 22, 2016

Harik
Sep 9, 2001

Plaster Town Cop

RZA Encryption posted:

I think you're missing the point. You're still complaining about it. Stop that. Look at your now cards every now and then. Don't want to read that news story? Ok, that's cool. Want to read it? Click on it and read it. It's not that big a deal. Nothing worth getting angry over.

Well I have some other random things I have to fix. Setting my email The Google Way (everything in inbox) instead of sorted, because non-gmail only ever looks at inbox. Not doing email "properly" kills almost all of the personal assistant part, since it never sees confirmations, tracking numbers, etc.

I have to do that anyway to make the mail app useful, since it never sees anything important to notify me about.

I had hoped that the 6.0 mail app would let me mark another folder as important enough to watch, but alas, that's not the Google Way.

Wayne Knight
May 11, 2006

Sounds like you're swimming against the tide. Get elbow deep in Google.

Harik
Sep 9, 2001

Plaster Town Cop

RZA Encryption posted:

That's why I said I have to do it.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

RZA Encryption posted:

This is good advice but the alternative which is managing all of this yourself is also a workable solution. If you really don't like the way automates this stuff then you might be happier working at this from another angle. This is clearly frustrating for you and if you're feeling frustrated and resentful about it you're probably never going to be happy with it.

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
I have a Blu Studio Energy 2 running Android 5. It has a 64 gig SD card that I formatted in fat32. The phone recognizes the card, it can write things to the card and back, except for app updates. For those I get errors 963 and 907. One solution is to unmount and remount the SD card. When I go to settings > advanced settings > storage I'm only given the option of erasing the SD card. Has anyone heard of this problem before?

From here I can try uninstalling the apps on it and try erasing it. It's not like the apps are irreplaceable.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

RandomPauI posted:

I have a Blu Studio Energy 2 running Android 5. It has a 64 gig SD card that I formatted in fat32. The phone recognizes the card, it can write things to the card and back, except for app updates. For those I get errors 963 and 907. One solution is to unmount and remount the SD card. When I go to settings > advanced settings > storage I'm only given the option of erasing the SD card. Has anyone heard of this problem before?

From here I can try uninstalling the apps on it and try erasing it. It's not like the apps are irreplaceable.

A little Googling shows the problem is common if you have SD cards and has been for at least a year now. The only thing I could find that talks about the technical reason for it points to permissions errors involved in using external storage when copying the download file. Obviously it shouldn't do this but there isn't really a way around it other than what you're doing which is unmounting and mounting the SD card that I've come across.

One problem you might come across eventually is that the app update gets stuck in a halfway updated state where a downloaded portion is on internal storage and another made it to the SD card causing the update to never reset in the Play Store. You'll have to clear data on the app to fix that.

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
I erased the card, it unmounted the card to erase it, it remounted the card, but storage still only gives "erase" as an option.

BurritoJustice
Oct 9, 2012

RandomPauI posted:

I'd never heard of this phone before, but googling around shows that is has a 5000mAh battery (wowzer) alongside low-spec/battery efficient internals. How much screen on time do you get per charge, out of curiosity?

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
It lasts a good while, but I can't speak for how long the battery life will be once I can use it as a cell phone proper. I'm switching over to T-mobile at the end of the month, my current phone uses a different sized sim-card, so I may as well make the switch then.

Tony Montana
Aug 6, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
I just got my first Android phone and I have three expensive Apple headsets (with mic and remote controls) that I'd like to use with it. Everything works except the volume rocker, it seems. Is there an adapter or something? Can I possibly do this?

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Tony Montana posted:

I just got my first Android phone and I have three expensive Apple headsets (with mic and remote controls) that I'd like to use with it. Everything works except the volume rocker, it seems. Is there an adapter or something? Can I possibly do this?

Not that I've ever heard of.

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003
Google now works great for me and only shows me cool poo poo. You're hosed up, dude.

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
I think the problem may be with the SD card. Yeah, I can read from it and write to it but when I connected it to my laptop it didn't recognize it as having any memory at all. And when I tried to reformat it in different programs it'd cause them to crash.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

Google Now is a neat idea and I'm glad other folks find it useful but mostly it appears to be good for giving me hilariously inaccurate estimates for how long it will take me to drive home from work (I exclusively use public transit but Google refuses to believe this). So I pretty much ignore it and it pretty much stays out of my way and everyone's happy.

Weather Timeline's persistent notification is pretty nice.