Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
The first is to be born in Joseon.
I wasn't really talking about superheavies- if you're neglecting yours in an obvious spot long for enough for an ATACMS to line up the shot and soar 20,000+ meters through the air to thwack you then that's your own problem. The micro intensive part is having to constantly move AA, mortars, supply helos, recon choppers. And that part of the game isn't defined by the ATACMS.

And SALH missiles don't need active sight at all, what. They fire position just fine.

e: I agree ATACMS is overly forgiving relative to other stuff, but it isn't bullshitly game-defining for zero effort like the buratino is.

e2: actually i don't even think the buratino is that big a deal, it's low availability high supply cost short ranged. it's frustrating sometimes (like the atacms) but it's the hyper cost effective mid-tier soviet bullshit that's actually game defining in a bad way right now.

Koramei fucked around with this message at 01:56 on Mar 11, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OctaMurk
Jun 21, 2013

Koramei posted:

I wasn't really talking about superheavies- if you're neglecting yours in an obvious spot long for enough for an ATACMS to line up the shot and soar 20,000+ meters through the air to thwack you then that's your own problem.

The aim time on an ATACMS isn't very long, and on many maps there's only so many tree lines where you're going to take cover; a lot of the time you can pretty much guess where the tanks are going to be. It's easy to avoid the ATACMS if you play with awareness of it... but it's uniquely frustrating because you can't actually fight back against the ATACMS and it can kill your most expensive units with no risk at all; your only defense is literally shuffling your poo poo around in cover and out of sight after every tank battle.

I'm not saying its impossible to deal with, I'm saying it's a bullshit unit that encourages frustrating gameplay.

quote:

And SALH missiles don't need active sight at all, what. They fire position just fine.

Yes they do, but you need to know the exact position of a tank in order to kill it with SALH bombers if you don't have active sight. With the ATACMS, you've got a lot of leeway.

DPM
Feb 23, 2015

TAKE ME HOME
I'LL CHECK YA BUM FOR GRUBS
After noobing around a bit with the ATACMS last night, I'd say I'd still be more likely to take a high vet Nighthawk. And I don't tend to use the Nighthawk that much anymore. It's loving cool but the supply cost, rearm time and minimum range dicked me over a bunch. I still think it's a cool unit though.

Dave47
Oct 3, 2012

Shut up and take my money!
The ATACMS is in this weird place where it's broken against bad players / low micro players, and kind of underwhelming against good REDFOR players, who wouldn't keep heavies in predictable spots even if the ATACMS was removed from the game. (Like those good REDFOR players who rolled us recently: ATACMS would have been a terrible use of 150 points in any of those games save perhaps sniping one CV tank during out defeat in the last match.)

I ran 0 for a lone time, then 1, then 2. I'm back to 1, but am considering dropping it. As mentioned, it eats a ton of supply compared to any other artillery choice and doesn't always pay out compared to other cool stuff.

Also, going back a ways for deck chat:

gfanikf posted:

Thanks I appreciate the detailed breakdown.

Created a new deck

The best way to get good at Wargame is to play in your comfort zone, and slowly expand out in building new skills. That said:

-Any helicopter-based play will need to account for enemy helicopters. REDFOR has a bunch of good AA helicopters, including the KA-52 scout / SEAD platform. The USA also has good AA helicopters. Take a card of DAPs and a card of Super Cobras. Both are awesome.

Oh and speaking of SEAD: You don't have any Prowlers, and you're almost certainly going to see KA-52s. So having 100% radar-based AA is going to lead to "Trouble!" Also: US HE 3 Mortars are dubious.

Anyway, good luck! :)

EDIT: Heer98, a Good Player, likes the LAV Mortar because they're cheap and fast and 30 points, so it's ok that they're only HE 3 and West German HE 5 mortars are the same price. So you might be brilliant!

Dave47 fucked around with this message at 05:35 on Mar 12, 2016

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fYOJSz1WOEg

T-90 takes a TOW hit in the turret face IRL. American tankers must love the CIA video program. Short video.

Mukip
Jan 27, 2011

by Reene
Imagine you're a Syrian rebel who get easily frustrated by people making repetitive comments. That's probably the worst thing about the whole situation.

Enjoy
Apr 18, 2009
Why'd the crewman bail out like that?

e: cool vid btw

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Because ~twenty pounds of high explosive just went off a foot from his head, and the hatch was open. Who knows what he was thinking.

Enjoy
Apr 18, 2009
Probably "should have closed the drat hatch"

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Mukip posted:

Imagine you're a Syrian rebel who get easily frustrated by people making repetitive comments. That's probably the worst thing about the whole situation.

That's such short range and the 12.7 millimeter turret was already shooting in their Direction you would be losing your f****** mind too. Seriously check out the flight time they're almost within RPG range. Killing a tank at that range that has its turrets trained at you has got to be a huge adrenaline rush. Even if they didn't kill it, they made the Gunner bail out. Morale damage IRL.

DPM
Feb 23, 2015

TAKE ME HOME

Arglebargle III posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fYOJSz1WOEg

T-90 takes a TOW hit in the turret face IRL. American tankers must love the CIA video program. Short video.

Enjoy posted:

For reference, here's what happens when your tank isn't covered in Kontakt-5 reactive armour

:nws: :nms:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QwQmO1YoR1M

E: This is why the replacements for the T-90 (T-14) and BMP-2/MT-LB ( T-15 ) are covered with the poo poo.

DPM fucked around with this message at 03:56 on Mar 14, 2016

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

And what should one do to be remembered?

Enjoy posted:

It's been a constant of armored warfare that crews tend to bail the gently caress out of their vehicle as soon as they are hit unless they are really, really well trained and even then. :v:

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

DumbparameciuM posted:

For reference, here's what happens when your tank isn't covered in Kontakt-5 reactive armour

:nws: :nms:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QwQmO1YoR1M

E: This is why the replacements for the T-90 (T-14) and BMP-2/MT-LB ( T-15 ) are covered with the poo poo.

Pretty sure the T-90 in the video was carrying those big Kontakt-5 triangular plates on the turret. Do you ever see one without those?

Flipswitch
Mar 30, 2010

Those T-14/15s look like something out of a 90s cartoon, something I'd watch as a kid. The emblem doesn't help.

DPM
Feb 23, 2015

TAKE ME HOME

Arglebargle III posted:

Pretty sure the T-90 in the video was carrying those big Kontakt-5 triangular plates on the turret. Do you ever see one without those?

Yeah, sorry, I mean the T-90 in the original vid has Kontakt, which is why Tankbro is able to walk away at all. The tank in the video I linked doesn't have any ERA which is why it's poo poo gets pushed in super hard.

Mazz
Dec 12, 2012

Orion, this is Sperglord Actual.
Come on home.
It also hits the side almost exactly in line with the carousel, instead of the most heavily armored part of the tank.

Warbadger
Jun 17, 2006

DumbparameciuM posted:

Yeah, sorry, I mean the T-90 in the original vid has Kontakt, which is why Tankbro is able to walk away at all. The tank in the video I linked doesn't have any ERA which is why it's poo poo gets pushed in super hard.

It doesn't hit the K-5 in that video. The hit is just to the side of the gun, where the (mostly worthless) Shtora pods are mounted. That is the thickest armor on the tank, though, and it probably did not penetrate the armor.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Aren't we just the worst?

Heer98
Apr 10, 2009
We just won a 3v3 vs that Lastbreath guy's team, and it was really fun!

They always double up in one zone and roll it, so when 6 T-80U's stormed the Hotel side of paddy Field in the opening, we knew to attack elsewhere. We ended up winning quite handily because we knew when and where to counter attack, and also because the RNG was so amazingly in our favor.

Highlights include a combined Eurocorps/UK tank push, an F2 1v1ing a PU at start and winning, Dave's F-18C killing a company of heavy tanks and a team with 2700 games players per player complaining about the RNG and demanding a re!

http://alb-replays.info/rdbeta/php/api.php?download=2306

DeliciousPatriotism
May 26, 2008
So I'm curious

1) Is this game still played frequently online? Curious but dont want to get stomped for hours on end, which I fear might happen if I try to compete with this games veteran community
2) Is the single player satisfying? I'm coming from the world of Total War games. I own EE but find the single player to be weirdly rigid and somehow unsatisfying to play.
3) Is it worth $45?

OctaMurk
Jun 21, 2013

DeliciousPatriotism posted:

So I'm curious

1) Is this game still played frequently online? Curious but dont want to get stomped for hours on end, which I fear might happen if I try to compete with this games veteran community
2) Is the single player satisfying? I'm coming from the world of Total War games. I own EE but find the single player to be weirdly rigid and somehow unsatisfying to play.
3) Is it worth $45?

1) It's still played frequently online but if you want to avoid getting stomped, you must] play with goons in Mumble.

2) I think so, especially if you downloaded Dandywalken's Revised Campaign Mod. It's worth a run through anyways but it's primarily a multiplayer game.

3) Yes, I think most goons have at minimum a couple hundred hours into this game

SirDrinksAlot
Aug 6, 2006

The wicked flee when none pursueth
lol $45? Jesus wait till its on sale for $10

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
The first is to be born in Joseon.
If you wait for a sale there'll be lots of other new players too so you might manage to get into some slightly less stacked games.

DPM
Feb 23, 2015

TAKE ME HOME

OctaMurk posted:

Dandywalken's Revised Campaign Mod

I googled this but didn't find anything, have you got a link handy? I have been trying repeatedly to get into the campaign but it does some bizarre stuff which makes it really hard to engage with. I'm very interested in anything which could potentially fix some of those niggles.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

http://www.liveleak.com/view?i=65a_1441555027

Abrams hit by a Kornet and brews up in Yemen.

reagan
Apr 29, 2008

by Lowtax

So I'm curious

3) Is it worth $45?

If you are the kind of person who spent their childhood reading Jane's books and checked Soviet Military Power out from the library countless times, this game is worth $45. I primarily play single player skirmish, but I prefer the EE single player. The single player in the last two establishments have been disappointing in my opinion.

reagan
Apr 29, 2008

by Lowtax
My Wargame themed music playlist:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IOAHOhuachk

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3ynTsskKL8g

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RodrZ2we_hQ

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i8K0sW8GX-4

reagan fucked around with this message at 02:00 on Mar 22, 2016

DeliciousPatriotism
May 26, 2008

reagan posted:

If you are the kind of person who spent their childhood reading Jane's books and checked Soviet Military Power out from the library countless times, this game is worth $45. I primarily play single player skirmish, but I prefer the EE single player. The single player in the last two establishments have been disappointing in my opinion.

My childhood was a transition from green army men to military micro machines to a literal library of cold war history/equipment catalogs to Tom Clancy games and a degree in political geography. I bought it the other night and love it already.

When do goons play? I'd like to try multi with some tutoring.

reagan
Apr 29, 2008

by Lowtax

My childhood was a transition from green army men to military micro machines to a literal library of cold war history/equipment catalogs to Tom Clancy games...

Sounds familiar.

OctaMurk
Jun 21, 2013

My childhood was a transition from green army men to military micro machines to a literal library of cold war history/equipment catalogs to Tom Clancy games and a degree in political geography. I bought it the other night and love it already.

When do goons play? I'd like to try multi with some tutoring.

6-12 PM EST there is usually some goons on. Then pretty much throughout the day goons pop in on the weekend.

Bob Wins
Oct 25, 2010

Your missing THE BEST ONE!!! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a4lYAPO81y8

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

And what should one do to be remembered?
Wrong link, buddy.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0rAHrHd2lcw

reagan
Apr 29, 2008

by Lowtax
Both go without saying.

DeliciousPatriotism
May 26, 2008

tbh a Kino mix is all you need.

E: Scrap that, I go through phases of forgetting that Soviet Funk/Disco was a humongous and amazing genre that persisted long after the US moved on.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HsY2_whZF6A

DeliciousPatriotism fucked around with this message at 01:41 on Mar 23, 2016

Thunder Moose
Mar 7, 2015

S.J.C.
So US getting Tomcats in both Air and Navy seems unfair if not awesome...

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Tomcats are hot garbage.

RangerPL
Jul 23, 2014
xthetenth gave me a prod today which led me to :effortless: and release an updated Ural mod for the newest Wargame patches.

Because the mod is built on a Wargame version from last June, many vanilla changes did not make it into this version.

Changes since 2.1:
Weapons
ATGMs Time between hitrolls increased to 20s - ATGMs should now behave as they did in ALB and early RD
Cluster bombs Restored to vanilla AP values
USA SMAW Rate of fire increased to 15 to match other FIST teams

Infantry
USA SMAW Added to Motorized decks (A number of SMAWs were borrowed by the US Army during Desert Storm)
USSR Gornostrelki 90 Price increased to 30p

Planes
ANZ F/A-18A(F) Price reduced to 135p
CZ Su-25K Price increased to 135p
DPRK Su-25K Price increased to 125p
POL Su-22M3 Renamed Su-22M4
POL Su-22M3 ECM increased to 30%
POL Su-22M3 Price increased to 115p
POL Su-7BM Bombload increased to 4x FAB-500
POL Su-7BM Price increased to 70p, availability reduced to 0/3/0/0/0
ROK F-16C Peace Bridge ECM increased to 30%
UK Phantom FGR.2 Intro year set to 1982
USA A-10 Thunderbolt II Intro year set to 1986
USA F-4J Phantom II Intro year set to 1976
USA F-4J Phantom II AIM-7E replaced with AIM-7F, AIM-9E replaced with AIM-9J
USA F-4J Phantom II Availability reduced to 0/0/0/3/0, price increased to 90p
USSR MiG-29M Price increased to 185p
USSR Su-25 Price increased to 135p
USSR Su-25 4x S-24B replaced with 20x S-13, these fire in two salvoes of ten and are intended for use in multiple passes
USSR Su-27PU Loadout changed to 4x R-73, 2x R-27T, 2x R-27ER

Recon
CZ BPzV Snezka Optics reduced to "Good"
CZ BPzV Snezka Price reduced to 30p, availability increased to 12/8

Tanks
CAN Leopard C2 MEXAS Armor improved to 16/7/4/3
CAN Leopard C2 MEXAS Price increased to 85p, availability reduced to 8/6
USSR T-64BV1 Intro year set to 1986

Vehicles
REDFOR BMP-2s (early) and derivatives Autocannon accuracy increased to 20%
REDFOR BMP-2s (late) and derivatives Autocannon range increased to 1750m
USSR BMP-3 Number of missiles reduced to 4

You can find more detailed changelogs at https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1_pPqXyE2SvnVlYSijHSIUbLQBktiXaPtFNIjb2kff78/edit#gid=1749150854

Download
https://www.dropbox.com/s/5xh6wdm0bnnci6o/UralMod_2.2.zip?dl=0

DPM
Feb 23, 2015

TAKE ME HOME

Thunder Moose posted:

So US getting Tomcats in both Air and Navy seems unfair if not awesome...

They aren't as good as the AIM-54's make them look...

Thunder Moose
Mar 7, 2015

S.J.C.
I find having a single tomcat at the rear provides a decent deterrent - not the best craft but how are they garbage?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bob Wins
Oct 25, 2010
There have been a few changes to them to keep ALB's "Halos of incerceptor spam" from happening again.

• Locked thread