Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Avenging Dentist
Oct 1, 2005

oh my god is that a circular saw that does not go in my mouth aaaaagh
Yeah I mean maybe I'm just the wrong audience for Bones, but getting models for ~50% off isn't that appealing to me when the result is a huge pain in the rear end to work with. It's not like I buy that many models (especially not from Reaper). I could see it being useful for (unpainted) D&D one-offs, but frankly, my time is more valuable than $4 or so a model.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slimnoid
Sep 6, 2012

Does that mean I don't get the job?

Frobbe posted:

Just paint them with Vallejo black acrylic surface primer. Works a treat!

Or, if you HAVE to use a rattlecan primer, just use Krylon. I've never had it go sticky on Bonesium.

Cat Face Joe
Feb 20, 2005

goth vegan crossfit mom who vapes

Avenging Dentist posted:

Yeah I mean maybe I'm just the wrong audience for Bones, but getting models for ~50% off isn't that appealing to me when the result is a huge pain in the rear end to work with. It's not like I buy that many models (especially not from Reaper). I could see it being useful for (unpainted) D&D one-offs, but frankly, my time is more valuable than $4 or so a model.

Probably and that's fine. Depending on the model though it's way more than 50% off. Plus it's allowed Reaper to create models that would be prohibitively expensive and/or not castable if they were cast in metal.

El Estrago Bonito
Dec 17, 2010

Scout Finch Bitch

Avenging Dentist posted:

The savings get really noticeable when you get to big minis. The Reaper purple worm is like ~$30 and the Bones version is, IIRC, $3.

JoshTheStampede
Sep 8, 2004

come at me bro

El Estrago Bonito posted:

The savings get really noticeable when you get to big minis. The Reaper purple worm is like ~$30 and the Bones version is, IIRC, $3.

The larger Bones models are also WAY nicer looking than the smaller ones.

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat

Yeast posted:

Cross Post from the 40k thread.

What I've been working on for the last 3 months.

These are awesome and I'm jealous at the speed you got them done!

richyp
Dec 2, 2004

Grumpy old man

richyp posted:

This guy was an awkward bastard to paint and looking at the picture now, I realise I forgot to glaze over the grey's on the "black" cloth like I did with the rest of the blacks.

Umbra Legate from the 3rd Edition Combined Army Starter Set

I'll probably go back and fix him up after I've painted the other guys.

Next one in the box and the last one for today

Zark the Damned
Mar 9, 2013

signalnoise posted:

I have found exactly one spraypaint which dries on bonesium. I don't know why this poo poo is aimed at newbies

Army Painter Black works on Bonesium, from experience. Not tried their other colours on it.

Avenging Dentist
Oct 1, 2005

El Estrago Bonito posted:

Big minis (kinda a contradiction really) are less of an issue to me because at least they usually don't have lots of bits that are too thin to be cast in Bonesium. I hate dealing with bending everyone's spears back into shape. Still, given the choice, I'd rather they use restic or something since that's easier to work with (which isn't saying much) and does not, to my knowledge, have issues with primer. I get that cost is one of the main goals for Bonesium, but I'd rather not sacrifice "pleasantness to work with" too much, especially not if it includes the possibility of royally loving up your mini at the end of the process.

Speaking of which, I suppose I should figure out if my Blood Rage guys are touchy about the primer they take, since they're a similar material.

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

Zark the Damned posted:

Army Painter Black works on Bonesium, from experience. Not tried their other colours on it.

Brown and bone are fine too. Pretty sure all the Army Painter sprays work with Bones.

theroachman
Sep 1, 2006

You're never fully dressed without a smile...

Avenging Dentist posted:

Speaking of which, I suppose I should figure out if my Blood Rage guys are touchy about the primer they take, since they're a similar material.

Report your findings, there's painting of Blood Rage minis somewhere in my future.

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

I'm away from my sweet Basius pads, don't have the money for pre-made bases, and can't waste greenstuff on trivial poo poo.

So has anyone tried making basing flagstones out of small squares of cardboard?

Avenging Dentist
Oct 1, 2005

theroachman posted:

Report your findings, there's painting of Blood Rage minis somewhere in my future.

The worst is that there are no sprues to test spray primer on. :negative:

Luckily they have expansions so I'll just test stuff out on some guys from whatever the cheapest expansion is (after consulting the internet at large, of course).

Avenging Dentist
Oct 1, 2005

Double posting for a good reason. I thought folks would want to see John Motherfucking Blanche's weird space Skaven dudes (and other abominations): http://gothicpunk.tumblr.com/post/127549277520/some-of-blanches-latest-miniature-works

Chance II
Aug 6, 2009

Would you like a
second chance?

theroachman posted:

I painted one of the trolls as a test model and just base coated it in some reaper pure black instead of priming. Painted up fine but I made sure to clear coat it immediately to keep the paint from rubbing off. My janky camera isn't much help but here are some pics.

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat
Dude is clearly inspired by Hieronymus Bosch, which is one of the many reasons Blanche is awesome

richyp
Dec 2, 2004

Grumpy old man

3 down 3 to go, noticed one of the Batroids is missing its head so time to test CB's customer service.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

Avenging Dentist posted:

The worst is that there are no sprues to test spray primer on. :negative:

Luckily they have expansions so I'll just test stuff out on some guys from whatever the cheapest expansion is (after consulting the internet at large, of course).

They should be fine, they're the same material as The CMON game with the squid men. I always confuse the name with Kings of War by Mantic.

Speaking of, most of the Deadzone 2 minis will be the same material so if you can wait a week or two they'll be plenty of testimonials from backers.

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

i was told my old av was distracting
I don't have a problem testing sprays on stuff. I should have my DZ2 stuff soon. Anyone know what the appropriate spray pattern should be for priming? I am assuming I should want a thin spray.

Vulich the Subtle
Nov 25, 2012

Paul is unimpressed by the glories of the Host.

richyp posted:

3 down 3 to go, noticed one of the Batroids is missing its head so time to test CB's customer service.
as long as you kept your mispack tags you're golden.

they're rather strict with mispacks but very quick about fixing them.

richyp
Dec 2, 2004

Grumpy old man

Vulich the Subtle posted:

as long as you kept your mispack tags you're golden.

they're rather strict with mispacks but very quick about fixing them.

Yeah I took a picture of the complaint code tag and the bits of the model that weren't missing in front of the box. So my bases are covered which is more than can be said for the actual models because I'm lazy and too eager to move on to the next model half way through the current one.

jadebullet
Mar 25, 2011

MY LIFE FOR YOU!
I have finished my Blood Slaughterer. I have to say, it was a really fun kit to put together and paint. i really like how the machinery and tubing has skulls and skeletal arms intertwined in it. Overall I am really happy with how it turned out. My intention is to run it as a Maulerfiend.

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~
Now for some Grot Tanks! I painted these up quick, as I'm using them in a game in about 12 hours.

Avenging Dentist
Oct 1, 2005

This is a question I already know an answer to, but more answers would be good. For smoothing significant divots in flat surfaces, what do people use? I'm using ProCreate to fill in the bulk of it, and then Mr. Dissolved Putty over top to create an easily-sandable surface that I can get really smooth. Is there a better way?

e: To elaborate, I find that ProCreate is sandable, but when you get down to a thin enough layer, it shreds itself just like Green Stuff. Hence the Mr. Dissolved Putty layer, which has no such limitation.

Avenging Dentist fucked around with this message at 07:57 on Mar 23, 2016

spectralent
Oct 1, 2014

Me and the boys poppin' down to the shops

jadebullet posted:

I have finished my Blood Slaughterer. I have to say, it was a really fun kit to put together and paint. i really like how the machinery and tubing has skulls and skeletal arms intertwined in it. Overall I am really happy with how it turned out. My intention is to run it as a Maulerfiend.

Oooh; what model and scale is this?

jadebullet
Mar 25, 2011

MY LIFE FOR YOU!
It is the Forgeworld Blood Slaughterer of Khorne. It is about the size of a Maulerfiend, maybe a little smaller.

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

They should be fine, they're the same material as The CMON game with the squid men. I always confuse the name with Kings of War by Mantic.
Wrath of Kings. I play the game and make the same mistake all the time.

grassy gnoll
Aug 27, 2006

The pawsting business is tough work.

richyp posted:

Yeah I took a picture of the complaint code tag and the bits of the model that weren't missing in front of the box. So my bases are covered which is more than can be said for the actual models because I'm lazy and too eager to move on to the next model half way through the current one.

I was missing the little horns on one of my Bolts. They got back to me the next day, and a package from Spain arrived at my door about a week later. The stamp probably weighed more than the actual part they sent me.

The real sticking point with CB is they're really intensely anal about you following the rules regarding missing components. Apart from that, no complaints, even despite the language barrier created by me being a dumb American.

JoshTheStampede
Sep 8, 2004

come at me bro

Avenging Dentist posted:

This is a question I already know an answer to, but more answers would be good. For smoothing significant divots in flat surfaces, what do people use? I'm using ProCreate to fill in the bulk of it, and then Mr. Dissolved Putty over top to create an easily-sandable surface that I can get really smooth. Is there a better way?

e: To elaborate, I find that ProCreate is sandable, but when you get down to a thin enough layer, it shreds itself just like Green Stuff. Hence the Mr. Dissolved Putty layer, which has no such limitation.

Milliput is my go to for this kind of thing. You can use it like clay or water it down to a slurry to fill smaller pits/cracks.

with a rebel yell she QQd
Jan 18, 2007

Villain

JoshTheStampede posted:

Milliput is my go to for this kind of thing. You can use it like clay or water it down to a slurry to fill smaller pits/cracks.

Can you advise which colour Milliput you use?

richyp
Dec 2, 2004

Grumpy old man
Not sure if Josh uses the same but for all model related stuff in the past I've found the Standard Yellow / Grey Milliput to be the go to modelling clay.

JoshTheStampede
Sep 8, 2004

come at me bro
Yep, standard yellow/grey. I've never tried the superfine.

Avenging Dentist
Oct 1, 2005

I might try some of that. I have a crapload of putties already, but there's no harm in too much variety. (So far, I have green stuff, brown stuff, ProCreate, Apoxie Sculpt, and Mr. Dissolved Putty.)

richyp
Dec 2, 2004

Grumpy old man

Avenging Dentist posted:

I might try some of that. I have a crapload of putties already, but there's no harm in too much variety. (So far, I have green stuff, brown stuff, ProCreate, Apoxie Sculpt, and Mr. Dissolved Putty.)

I've found it behaves more like a standard clay than greenstuff does and for fine details a mix of the two is probably best but for 99% of otherwork e.g. filling, basing and general putty-ness it's really useful. It's also a lot cheaper than GS too and works great as a filler/fixer-upper for non-miniature related activities too as it can be sanded.

A Shitty Reporter
Oct 29, 2012
Dinosaur Gum
Trying to get some clean straight cuts though some Gundam kit parts. What's a good type of wire/whatever saw to get?

TouchToneDialing
Jul 21, 2006

An Angry Bug posted:

Trying to get some clean straight cuts though some Gundam kit parts. What's a good type of wire/whatever saw to get?

I have an xacto razor saw that I got from amazon that was under $10 that works pretty well. You will need files or sandpaper through as the edges always need to be cleaned up.

SteelMentor
Oct 15, 2012

TOXIC
Would anyone know where I could get my hands on some wooden barrel scenery pieces? Decided to build myself a goal-token for my Brewers team, but can't really see any that'll be the right scale for Guild Ball.

BlackIronHeart
Aug 2, 2004

The Oath Breaker's about to hit warphead nine Kaptain!
What's Guild Ball's scale and what country/continent do you live in?

Zark the Damned
Mar 9, 2013

These any good? http://shop.microartstudio.com/large-wooden-barrels-2-p-796.html

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SteelMentor
Oct 15, 2012

TOXIC

BlackIronHeart posted:

What's Guild Ball's scale and what country/continent do you live in?

I'm pretty sure they're Heroic Scale, but don't hold me that.

These look around the right scale. Cheers.