Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CaligulaKangaroo
Jul 26, 2012

MAY YOUR HALLOWEEN BE AS STUPID AS MY LIFE IS
My TiVo cut off the last five minutes, so I need to know.... Did Philip freak out after Final Jeopardy like he did after that Daily Double? Because that poo poo warmed my heart.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GhostStalker
Mar 26, 2010

Guys, find a woman who looks at you the way GhostStalker looks at every bald, obese, single 58 year old accountant from Tulsa who managed to win $4,000 by not wagering on a Final Jeopardy triple stumper.

CaligulaKangaroo posted:

My TiVo cut off the last five minutes, so I need to know.... Did Philip freak out after Final Jeopardy like he did after that Daily Double? Because that poo poo warmed my heart.

I don't think so, but I missed his immediate reaction since I was telling my aunt (who was with me in the audience when I taped my show and now has a rudimentary idea of how Jeopardy is supposed to go because of it) what had happened on the episode as she was making dinner.

And did I tell you that was a game or what? Sean was posting over in our "secret" Facebook Jeopardy contestant group and telling everyone to watch, and not just because it was his episode airing. Kristen was into as well on the group. No sign of Phillip there yet, though. Lot of encouragement amongst former contestants, since we've pretty much all been there. Apparently, Vaughn Winchell was sitting at the edge of his seat for the end of this game, and I don't blame him.

Anyway, Sean mentioned the expression he had at the end of the game towards Phillip in his comments in our group, and in one of the Jeopardy Facebook page comment threads, and it was pretty understandable his look of disappointment toward Phillip, not allowing him to be able to make a move afterwards. 7 clues left on the board, but after Phillip hit that DD, there was no way he'd be able to come back.

I don't think that he was stalling the DD, like some social media commentators and assholes on the Jeopardy Facebook comments page have been saying (he got like 12 seconds to answer, Alex prompted him at 10 or so, I think they pretty much call it time over at 15 if you don't give an answer or say "I don't know"), but if he was, he's the best Jeopardy DD staller and actor since Alex Jacob did it in his games. I almost overthought the clue as well, but Vancouver seemed like the right response to me and my brain would not go anywhere else once it settled on it. Really seemed like Phillip was struggling with it as he might've overthought it as well, but I guess not, I dunno. Really would've liked to see those last couple of clues though.

Apparently, according to Sean explaining it in our contestant page on FB, there was an error with the set during the taping, as the Final Jeopardy category showed up immediately after Phillip hit the DD and answered it. The awkward end of round buzzer sounding over Alex talking was an attempted edit to make the end of the round look a little better, but I guess it didn't go over too well with what the hoi-polloi are saying on the J Facebook page...

Phillip seems to be taking his time choosing the next clue, but he does seem like he still has some difficulty with English going off of his accent, so I guess a little slack has to be given. Again, would've loved to see a complete board, but this penultimate DD close to all-in wager and him hitting it made it all worth it. Want to see more boards complete though.

He could've gone for the one-day record ($77,000 from Roger Craig after hitting two DDs in a row in Double Jeopardy and doubling up every time, plus a great bet on Final), but I guess he played it safe. I guess Ken Jennings or Brad Rutter could've gone even higher if they bet all of it on some of their Finals too, but decided not to, so as not to pull off a Cliff Clavin. Volkswagen was an insta-get for me once I saw the clue, and it seemed that way for Phillip and Sean as well.

Still, just under $50k for a half hour's work is really nice chunk of change, and now a little over $71k for an hour's worth of game show and a chance to win more is great. Wonder where that is on Jeopardy's all time one day winnings list? Could Phillip be the first 5 day champ of this period after the last TOC? Getting tired of all the one and dones, or the two or three episode winners we've had so far this season...

Also, Phillip is starting to get some Arthur Chu-like pushback from the casual watchers, who accuse him of stalling or jamming the buzzer too hard. I wish we would've moved on from this, but I'm guessing I expect too much of the American syndicated game show viewing public that they would stop with the poo poo-talking and just be happy for good contestants. Alas, assholes will always find something to nitpick and complain about.

Number Ten Cocks
Feb 25, 2016

by zen death robot
Yes, Arthur Chu's post Jeopardy acts show that he's clearly not an rear end in a top hat. An apology from those people is no doubt deserved and forthcoming.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

why should they apologize he came off like an rear end in a top hat when he was on the show (like that tweet about being too busy having sex with his wife to know sports stuff when a bunch of us have sex on the regular and know all the nerd stuff he knows and know all that sports trivia)

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

Associate Justice Lena "Kegels" Dunham: An uncool thought to have: 'is that guy walking in the dark behind me a rapist? Never mind, he's Asian.

GhostStalker posted:

Also, Phillip is starting to get some Arthur Chu-like pushback from the casual watchers, who accuse him of stalling or jamming the buzzer too hard. I wish we would've moved on from this, but I'm guessing I expect too much of the American syndicated game show viewing public that they would stop with the poo poo-talking and just be happy for good contestants. Alas, assholes will always find something to nitpick and complain about.
lmao ghost stalker goes on jeopardy and thinks he's better than us

jojoinnit
Dec 13, 2010

Strength and speed, that's why you're a special agent.
Seriously you two? Anyways I take umbrage with the term "casual watcher". I'm a casual watcher and I define that as I watch jeopardy for the spectacle and I'm not trying to keep score at home. Casual watchers wouldn't nitpick on stuff like buzzer technique because we don't care enough to notice it.

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005
As a casual watcher I've noticed that he mashes the buzzer a lot but don't give a poo poo at all. Why would I, the dude's trying to win.

zakharov
Nov 30, 2002

:kimchi: Tater Love :kimchi:
Jeopardy viewers get wound up about the weirdest stuff. I've come to dislike Chu since he's made an rear end of himself during this election but I have no quarrel about anyone's Jeopardy game. There's huge amounts of money at stake, do what you gotta do.

Cpt. Mahatma Gandhi
Mar 26, 2005

it is kinda funny how wound up/nasty people can get over contestants on a game show. Most of them are only on for a day or two anyway, so just let it go.

That said, gently caress Matt Jackson, he was the worst--

Wikipedia posted:

Jackson said that he repeated, "I am not throwin' away my shot", a line from the musical Hamilton, for inspiration while preparing for the show.

jk Matt's alright

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

It's human nature to root for certain contestants and deem certain contestants villans when watching game shows. I make fun of people on there all the time (but just with my friends and sometimes in this thread, not on twitter or facebook or somewhere where they would read it).

Arther was cool, Julia was cool, Alex was cool, but gently caress Matt Jackson :argh:

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

Associate Justice Lena "Kegels" Dunham: An uncool thought to have: 'is that guy walking in the dark behind me a rapist? Never mind, he's Asian.

Cpt. Mahatma Gandhi posted:

it is kinda funny how wound up/nasty people can get over contestants on a game show. Most of them are only on for a day or two anyway, so just let it go.

That said, gently caress Matt Jackson, he was the worst--

jk Matt's alright

Matt won me over when he ran a category and informed the audience that he had done so because they neglected to clap for him

also if you took "hating random contestants for no real reason" and "swearing violently at Alex Trebek" out of the equation I'm pretty sure Jeopardy viewership would fall by 40%

zakharov
Nov 30, 2002

wa27 posted:

It's human nature to root for certain contestants and deem certain contestants villans when watching game shows. I make fun of people on there all the time (but just with my friends and sometimes in this thread, not on twitter or facebook or somewhere where they would read it).

Arther was cool, Julia was cool, Alex was cool, but gently caress Matt Jackson :argh:

Yeah this is fine but of course people take it too far and forget that these are humans, probably making their first appearance ever on TV, and playing for large amounts of cash money. It goes without saying that women on the show get a remarkable amount of stupidity directed their way. I'm awkward to begin with and I'm sure I won't be my best self if I ever get the call. I'll probably just avoid Twitter for 48 hours.

CaligulaKangaroo
Jul 26, 2012

Cpt. Mahatma Gandhi posted:

jk Matt's alright

Every time I started hating Matt Jackson--

Wikipedia posted:

Jackson said that he repeated, "I am not throwin' away my shot", a line from the musical Hamilton, for inspiration while preparing for the show.

--he always won me back.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

zakharov posted:

Jeopardy viewers get wound up about the weirdest stuff. I've come to dislike Chu since he's made an rear end of himself during this election but I have no quarrel about anyone's Jeopardy game. There's huge amounts of money at stake, do what you gotta do.

feed my chu hate. what has he done.

Reince Penis
Nov 15, 2007

by R. Guyovich
Geoff is pretty... intense.

Boomer The Cannon
Oct 27, 2011

Gotta see it live!

Canadian geography is Philip's kryptonite.

The Piper
Feb 18, 2007

Step right up and greet the Mets
Philip owns. Haters vacate.

zakharov
Nov 30, 2002

Groovelord Neato posted:

feed my chu hate. what has he done.

Lots of concern trolling about Hillary on Twitter.

I like Phillip and respect his DD game. I just wish he'd pick up the pace a bit!

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

zakharov posted:

Lots of concern trolling about Hillary on Twitter.

lol how did i know this would be it.

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005
Oh man Phillip just looks so happy whenever he gets questions right :3:

Boomer The Cannon posted:

Canadian geography is Philip's kryptonite.
He did get it right both times.

jojoinnit
Dec 13, 2010

Was worried for Philip there for a bit. He's a regular second round wonder. Loved the sweater even.

HookShot posted:

He did get it right both times.
Tense as hell though before he pulls it out of nowhere.

CaligulaKangaroo
Jul 26, 2012

So, question... can you really consider Wuthering Heights a bodice ripper?

Captain von Trapp
Jan 23, 2006

I don't like it, and I'm sorry I ever had anything to do with it.

CaligulaKangaroo posted:

So, question... can you really consider Wuthering Heights a bodice ripper?

A few years back, I saw Wuthering Heights in the paranormal teen romance book section of a Target, with a Twilight-style cover, on which was printed "Edward and Bella's favorite book".

curried lamb of God
Aug 31, 2001

we are all Marwinners
Philip :negative:

jojoinnit
Dec 13, 2010

Two hours before it airs for me. :mad:

GhostStalker
Mar 26, 2010

Guys, find a woman who looks at you the way GhostStalker looks at every bald, obese, single 58 year old accountant from Tulsa who managed to win $4,000 by not wagering on a Final Jeopardy triple stumper.

Welp, I guess I could've phrased that better and stuck my foot in my mouth. Not the first time I did that, even here, so i guess I should be used to it by now.

I guess when i said casual viewer, I meant the particularly nasty peanut gallery that feels like they have to criticize every decision or appearance quirk a Jeopardy contestant has, and the more successful they are, the more they have the right to criticize and be nasty about it all over social media. I guess hanging out too much on the Jeopardy Facebook page with those kinds of people has soured me a bit, especially with out Jeopardy Contestant "secret" Facebook group having regulars also on the J FB page trying to push back against it whenever it gets too bad and Jennifer Morrow doing her best to prevent any more of it, amongst some other bigger names.

Sure, they (and I, when I engage them, but not too often because the firestorm is often over by the time I take a look) get shot on as well as trying to white knight them or extend our 15 minutes of fame (guilty), but ever since I've been on the show, I've seen how nervous you get behind the podium and if you gently caress up or don't look your best, you shouldn't be raked over the coals for it, doubly so if you're gay or trans or seem like you're some sort of Jeopardy robot or whatevs. It just tends to be the latter that seem to be some of the most successful, and they attract the most hate.

Yes, Arthur has acted somewhat strongly online about the stuff he's got called on for, and he parlayed his 15 minutes Jeopardy fame into a blogging career where he goes full on social justice on social media and that turns a lot of people off, but i can still respect the dude... Matt Jackson and Alex Jacob are pretty cool dudes as well. As I've said before, I've met a ton of cool dudes through the Jeopardy Contestant Facebook group, and they've rubbed off on me a lot.

Anyway, I missed yesterday's episode (because of my bad decisions ahoy!), but I take it Phillip won again and in convincing fashion? And clues didn't get revealed again because of his methodical (I refuse to say it's stalling because we have no proof of that) pace? Or he hit a nice DD again this time around? Guess I'll try to catch tonight's episode then.

Especially after this:
Can't wait to see what happens in it!

Guess that's why our J contestant FB group recommends not discussing the day's game in the group until at least midnight when it's been aired all across the country, taking into account time zones and the vagaries of network syndication scheduling.

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

I was just kidding dude, we knew what you meant. Twitter and FB get real gross when it comes to Jeopardy contestants.

where the gently caress do you live that you see jeopardy this early

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light
It's always sad to see an empty podium in FJ.

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

Soothing Vapors posted:

Its on at 3:30pm in Chicago

curried lamb of God
Aug 31, 2001

we are all Marwinners

Soothing Vapors posted:

I was just kidding dude, we knew what you meant. Twitter and FB get real gross when it comes to Jeopardy contestants.

zVxTeflon posted:

Its on at 3:30pm in Chicago

Yeah it's on at 3:00 in Houston for some reason

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005
Geez I thought getting it at 4:30 here in Vancouver thanks to timeshift channels was awesome.

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

On todays episode of jeopardy we learn how not to loving wager in final when you cant be beaten!!

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

What a dumbass

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

i've said it a thousand times but how do these people get on.

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.
Ha ha what a boner.

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005
ugh why wtf dude

zakharov
Nov 30, 2002

Our good pal Alex Jacob posted a defense of that wager. Thoughts?

https://medium.com/@whoisalexjacob/why-i-don-t-mind-steve-s-losing-1-final-jeopardy-wager-c5a20c65ab73#.28soxxlis

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

Yeah, I think Alex is right. Sorry I doubted you, Steve. I wouldn't want to leave it to a buzz-off tiebreaker either.

When did the no-ties rule become a thing? I thought I saw a tie fairly recently, and I thought tiebreakers were only a thing in tournaments.

e: 2014 apparently

CaligulaKangaroo
Jul 26, 2012

That still seems like a long time ago. I thought there were like three within the span of a couple weeks at the start of the last season.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

I don't see any problem with betting $1 there. It really just depends on how he felt about the category compared to how he felt about his buzzer skills and a tie-breaker. There's no right or wrong way to play that.

I mean, the right way is to play for a tie because that's more exciting for me as a viewer.