Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DJ Dizzy
Feb 11, 2009

Real men don't use bolters.

BULBASAUR posted:

Yup. That's how I plan to run mine. Pod and either a melta lance for murdering armour or the grav bombard for killing infantry and rapiers. You want at least one melee arm. Snippy crab claw if you expect 2+ wound models or the siege claw if you plan to crump armour. Phosphex if you have extra points. I'd probably stick with the heavy flamers as well.

The dread drop pod is open topped, shrouded, and has 2 or 3HP (can't remember). Think of it as extra hullpoints with a 5++ save, 4++ if it's night fighting. It's what makes the leviathan work.

2++ if you are BA and its night. :getin:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hencoe
Sep 4, 2012

MY LIFE GOAL IS TO STICK A FLESHLIGHT INTO THE END OF A HOWITZER AND FUCK THE SHIT OUT OF IT
I've done mine as a paired talon. grav flux, phosphex, AC, and a claw is the poo poo. Even though he's on foot he's (usually) shooting turn 1 or two depending on if I went first or not if my opponent is slightly aggressive.
Siegenoughts are loving awesome.

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Stanyer89 posted:

Red guns for sure

TTerrible posted:

Seconding the red guns. Those chequered shoulder pads are awesome.

BULBASAUR posted:

The red one looks the best, agreed. Another color that would work imo would be an olive green with a sepia wash.
Red guns it is. After seeing the red bolter on a model I was heading that way, myself. Black weapons would blend too much with the rest of the scheme and red complements the legion icon well. Black armor also doesn't have the "Christmas marine" issue like 40k green DA would. Like I said, I'll take some better lit pictures once these are done. Probably in a day or two. I've already basecoated them, but I've got other poo poo to do this weekend. Thanks for the input.

Stanyer89 posted:

maybe some thicker highlights? I'm a bigger fan of zenith style dry brushing myself but that comes at the cost of having less crisp clean looking models...
I'm really not a fan of chunky highlights; they make models look too sloppy for my tastes. The thin highlights I've done show up better in person, I definitely acknowledge they're not as apparent in those pictures. The lighting was off (big storm) when I took those pictures so hopefully they'll be more visible when I take some updated and better lit ones. As for drybrushing, I used it a lot in the past and I've been trying to move away from that method. The only thing I drybrushed was the dumb censer I stuck on one of the models. Drybrushing is fantastic for more organic models like Tyranids, but I try to avoid it on marines. I'm almost considering some weathering, but I kind of like the clean look.

Additionally, any thoughts on stone color for those ruined temple bases I'm planning on using? Maybe I'll just paint up some of the blank, standard bases and see what primary color would work best.

Hixson
Mar 27, 2009

Any indication when Thousand Sons legion rules will be released? I've been completely out of the loop

OhDearGodNo
Jan 3, 2014

Hixson posted:

Any indication when Thousand Sons legion rules will be released? I've been completely out of the loop

End of 2016 with Space Wolves

Ville Valo
Sep 17, 2004

I'm waiting for your call
and I'm ready to take
your six six six
in my heart
Pretty happy with how these are going, so I'm going to start the "assembly line" process now.

Got my Suzerains today, but haven't assembled yet. I'm not sure if I'll play them or Terminators in my 750 ZM game, for which I need everything fully painted. That'll determine what's up next.

Stanyer89
Aug 4, 2012

DJ Dizzy posted:

2++ if you are BA and its night. :getin:

Legion rules and RoWs do not benefit the Leviathan. It's says it on the data sheet.

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Stanyer89 posted:

Legion rules and RoWs do not benefit the Leviathan. It's says it on the data sheet.
Pretty sure that's just for the 40k version. The 30k version is like any other dreadnought in the list.

DJ Dizzy
Feb 11, 2009

Stanyer89 posted:

They benefit the drop pod.

Mango Polo
Aug 4, 2007

Hixson posted:

Late Autumn/Early Winter 2016. Russ' sculpt is being worked on and Magnus will follow him on the release schedule. Expect to have robbits and sick psychic poo poo.

Sulecrist
Apr 5, 2007

Better tear off this bar association logo.

Safety Factor posted:

Additionally, any thoughts on stone color for those ruined temple bases I'm planning on using? Maybe I'll just paint up some of the blank, standard bases and see what primary color would work best.

Pinkish brown Southwestern US Mesa colored, like mine! We've been over this.

Mango Polo
Aug 4, 2007
Neat, FW seems to be stepping up their QA. Won't do anything for fundamental flaws in the molds and/or casting process, but at least someone is looking for those bubbles and gun barrels doing pirouettes.

TTerrible
Jul 15, 2005
I've had those inserts in the last two vehicles I picked up at WW and they were still awful. :v:

Stanyer89
Aug 4, 2012

Mango Polo posted:

Late Autumn/Early Winter 2016. Russ' sculpt is being worked on and Magnus will follow him on the release schedule. Expect to have robbits and sick psychic poo poo.

I don't get their Primarchs order. Why would Russ and Magnus come out before Sanguinius?

DJ Dizzy
Feb 11, 2009

We are still missing Dorn, so v0v.

Hencoe
Sep 4, 2012

MY LIFE GOAL IS TO STICK A FLESHLIGHT INTO THE END OF A HOWITZER AND FUCK THE SHIT OUT OF IT

Stanyer89 posted:

I don't get their Primarchs order. Why would Russ and Magnus come out before Sanguinius?

Probably because they will get special characters and legion units before the blood angels. How do they determine who does what, when anyways?

Mango Polo
Aug 4, 2007

DJ Dizzy posted:

And Alpharius. But maybe that's the idea for that one.

Stanyer89 posted:

Current BA/DA/WS rules are a "beta test" of sorts, I don't think FW would release anything for them until they get their proper army rules, characters, units, etc.
I'd expect to see their Contemptors way, waaaaay before any Primarchs.

DJ Dizzy
Feb 11, 2009

Mango Polo posted:

Im having trouble seeing how they can do justice to Alpharius, when he isnt any bigger than other marines.

Mango Polo
Aug 4, 2007

DJ Dizzy posted:

Im having trouble seeing how they can do justice to Alpharius, when he isnt any bigger than other marines.

DJ Dizzy
Feb 11, 2009

krursk
Sep 11, 2001

Your anguish sustains me.

DJ Dizzy posted:

Poor old Dorn. They are having difficulty making him look any different to Guilliman. At least they slightly de-derp'ed his combat special rules.

Edit news: Shares didn't do as well as expected. Retail therapy is the only solution. Zone Mortalis board ordered!

krursk fucked around with this message at 08:07 on Mar 21, 2016

Stanyer89
Aug 4, 2012

Mango Polo posted:

Current BA/DA/WS rules are a "beta test" of sorts, I don't think FW would release anything for them until they get their proper army rules, characters, units, etc.
I'd expect to see their Contemptors way, waaaaay before any Primarchs.

I guess that is true about the Contemptors. I just figured since BA got their "beta" rules while 1k sons and space furries have nothing that we'd see something for us first. My mistake in daring to make sense of anything related to Games Workshop...

Mango Polo
Aug 4, 2007

Stanyer89 posted:

pace furries

Right on cue!

But yeah, Alpharius and Dorn are still missing in action. And they've spoken about Dorn's model before ("you'll understand why his weapon is unwieldy when you see his model!!1"). I'm hoping that the model is actually done by now and they're just looking for a good time to release it, e.g. at Warhamme Fest in May or whenever that is.

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Mango Polo posted:

Right on cue!

After working with the MkIV Dark Angels shoulder pads, I've noticed that FW has been really inconsistent with the rim thickness on almost every legion so far. It only comes up on the MkIV pads, but it's kind of annoying. These Space Wolf ones actually look right, but I know they're not going to revisit everything else. I realize caring about the exact thickness of shoulder pad rims is :spergin: as all hell, but I wouldn't be here if I didn't at least slightly care about things like that.

Sulecrist posted:

Pinkish brown Southwestern US Mesa colored, like mine! We've been over this.
If I knew how to pull off an Enchanted Rock-esque pink granite, I would. I just have no idea how to capture something like this:

That and I thought we were at least half-joking. :v:

richyp
Dec 2, 2004

Grumpy old man

Safety Factor posted:

If I knew how to pull off an Enchanted Rock-esque pink granite, I would. I just have no idea how to capture something like this:

The pink can probably be pulled off with Light Grey + Flesh about 3:1 with a tiny amount of orange/red to flavour, then lots of light stippling with various greys. If it becomes to grey add some medium to the pink and glaze over it.

richyp fucked around with this message at 16:48 on Mar 21, 2016

Sulecrist
Apr 5, 2007

Better tear off this bar association logo.

Safety Factor posted:

After working with the MkIV Dark Angels shoulder pads, I've noticed that FW has been really inconsistent with the rim thickness on almost every legion so far. It only comes up on the MkIV pads, but it's kind of annoying. These Space Wolf ones actually look right, but I know they're not going to revisit everything else. I realize caring about the exact thickness of shoulder pad rims is :spergin: as all hell, but I wouldn't be here if I didn't at least slightly care about things like that.

Agreed re the rims, it bugs the hell out of me.

My pinkish granite is one part VGC magenta ("Warlord Purple, iirc"), four parts white, two parts khaki. I do multiple thin layers over zenithal highlighting and sometimes I swap some white for yellow or pallid flesh on subsequent passes. Then it gets the same brown wash as the rest of my models. If it doesn't have enough texture at that point I sponge or drybrush on a pale flesh tone.

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat

Mango Polo posted:

I'm hoping that the model is actually done by now and they're just looking for a good time to release it, e.g. at Warhamme Fest in May or whenever that is.

Dorn stands atop a pile of eviscerated tyrant terminators, which is why he isn't released yet

Mango Polo
Aug 4, 2007

BULBASAUR posted:

Dorn stands atop a pile of eviscerated tyrant terminators, which is why he isn't released yet

Hold on to your belief that they are coming until the bitter end.

But, you see, it is more important to get those sweet legion-specific cataphractii shoulderpads out first :black101:

Hencoe
Sep 4, 2012

BULBASAUR posted:

With an eagle at least as tall as he on his armor.

Ville Valo
Sep 17, 2004

and I'm ready to take
your six six six
in my heart
Thoughts on this Zone Mortalis list? Other options I own include a Legion Dreadnought, more Tac Marines (with weapon options), more Cataphractii Terminators.

Ultramarines 750pts

HQ 60pts

Legion Centurion
Consul, Artificer Armour

Elites 525pts

Suzerain Squad
10x Suzerains

Cataphractii Terminator Squad
4x Terminators with Powerfists, Sergeant with Powerfist

Troops 165pts

Tactical Squad
9x Tactical Marines, Sergeant with Melta Bombs and Artificer Armour

DJ Dizzy
Feb 11, 2009

Switch out the suzerains for a leviathan :getin:

Ville Valo
Sep 17, 2004

and I'm ready to take
your six six six
in my heart

DJ Dizzy posted:

How would you kit it out? I'd have to get on that order real quick; Suzerains are already here. I'm all for more dreads - I traded my plastic Contemptor for more Cataphractii and probably need to order a replacement.

krursk
Sep 11, 2001

Your anguish sustains me.

Ville Valo posted:

Thoughts on this Zone Mortalis list? Other options I own include a Legion Dreadnought, more Tac Marines (with weapon options), more Cataphractii Terminators.

Ultramarines 750pts

HQ 60pts

Legion Centurion
Consul, Artificer Armour

Elites 525pts

Suzerain Squad
10x Suzerains

Cataphractii Terminator Squad
4x Terminators with Powerfists, Sergeant with Powerfist

Troops 165pts

Tactical Squad
9x Tactical Marines, Sergeant with Melta Bombs and Artificer Armour

I would try to squeeze that dread in there. Extra Suzerains are expensive, I would drop them to 5 since they are killy enough and use the points on other stuff.

Ville Valo
Sep 17, 2004

and I'm ready to take
your six six six
in my heart

krursk posted:

I would try to squeeze that dread in there. Extra Suzerains are expensive, I would drop them to 5 since they are killy enough and use the points on other stuff.

That'd break the limit on Elite choices, unfortunately. Leviathan-pattern would be a Heavy choice, but I've just got a 40K Venerable Dreadnaught model which wouldn't fit anything but the Talon or Mortis, I believe.

Hencoe
Sep 4, 2012

DJ Dizzy posted:

Doesn't ZM say models can't be on a base bigger than 60? Leviathans are on 80's.

Ville Valo
Sep 17, 2004

and I'm ready to take
your six six six
in my heart

Hencoe posted:

Doesn't ZM say models can't be on a base bigger than 60? Leviathans are on 80's.

I didn't realize they're that big! Yeah, 60mm bases are max, and even those can't fit through some doors/halls.

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat
The naked centurion is a bit of a lame duck in your list. You might as well make him useful with a consul upgrade. Chaplain for fearless or a Delegatus so you can take a ROW like the cool new zone mortalis one.

Ville Valo
Sep 17, 2004

and I'm ready to take
your six six six
in my heart

BULBASAUR posted:

The naked centurion is a bit of a lame duck in your list. You might as well make him useful with a consul upgrade. Chaplain for fearless or a Delegatus so you can take a ROW like the cool new zone mortalis one.

Good thinkin', thank you. I can cut a Suzerain (down to 9x) to get the ZM RoW and make him:

HQ 85pts

Legion Centurion
Consul Delegatus, Artificer Armour, Combi-Weapon

Edit: And that RoW means my Termies can be troops, and I could cut more to try and fit a Dread in Elites.

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat
Give him a master crafted weapon of some kind and an invuln save (the MC crafting is free btw). Otherwise he's just going to do nothing.

Deep striking terminators as toops is sweet. You can drop your tactical squad to grab a dreadnaught and give upgrades to your consul.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

muggins
Mar 3, 2008

I regard the death and mangling of a couple thousand toy soldiers as a small affair, a kind of morning dash

Mango Polo posted:

Neat, FW seems to be stepping up their QA. Won't do anything for fundamental flaws in the molds and/or casting process, but at least someone is looking for those bubbles and gun barrels doing pirouettes.

I still received two left wings in my lightning order that I was super excited about =/ accidents happen but instead of just finding the wing I need they had to cast it up and send it? So an additional 7 to 10 days on top of USA shipping. Kinda lovely. They did help my friend who flew there for hh weekend and didn't get a red book; he got the red book and like two Knights free