Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Forbidden Donut
Mar 19, 2006
mmm....
Thinking about picking this up, I'm really digging the way the fights seem to play out.

Anyone pick up the pro pad too? If so how are you liking it? I know it's not REALLY needed but it looks slick, unfortunately most places are out of stock right now. Does it light up? (please tell me the bottom lights up)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Medium Cool
Dec 27, 2006

Yr sister is a beauty when she's naked
Grimey Drawer
I'm glad Gengar, the Best Pokemon, is in this good fighting game.

Oxygen Deficiency
May 19, 2008

Medium Cool posted:

I'm glad Gengar, the Best Pokemon, is in this good fighting game.

fake edit: just so this isn't entirely an emptyquote, I really really wish the matches lasted longer cos just when I start getting in to it the other guy is dead. and it also sucks cos i love ending matches using a burst move but they always ko during the initial setup hits. Seems like an easy fix for this would be to double (or triple???) pokes hp since hp is an actual thing in this game.

boy are my arms tired
May 10, 2012

Ham Wrangler

Forbidden Donut posted:

Thinking about picking this up, I'm really digging the way the fights seem to play out.

Anyone pick up the pro pad too? If so how are you liking it? I know it's not REALLY needed but it looks slick, unfortunately most places are out of stock right now. Does it light up? (please tell me the bottom lights up)

The bottom lights up to show what player you are, but otherwise no.

The pro controller is really nice, its a lot easier to land combos with it, and perhaps the best part is you can rebind your grab/counter to the triggers if you don't want to do the x+a or y+b combinations. i think you can do this with the classic controller too

also its got a good weight to it, doesn't feel too light like classic and doesn't feel to awkward/heavy like the wiiu controller

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

I thought that I'd finally try out another fighter but then I got a perfect round ended with Libre's burst and decided nah I'm good.

The Gorp
Jan 7, 2013

My style is impetuous,
My defenses are impregnable
My arms are tired
While completely indifferent to the pokemon itself, Garchomp is amazing.
Dig and its cancels are what I want in a gappler, not big damage. With garchomp i dont see the point to Machamp.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

A machamp just beat the hell out of me if it makes him seem more appealing :v:

Was close as hell too but eh

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

Is Garchomp a grappler though? He has a lot of big slashing kind of hits and I don't know if he has any kind of special grabs like Machamp does.

The Gorp
Jan 7, 2013

My style is impetuous,
My arms are tired
He has a command grab in down A, and frankly regular grabs do just fine.
The problem I have with machamp is that he has a command grab but has very little in his toolkit to make somone fall for it under pressure.

After a kockdown he plays a guessing game, not mild pressure into grab mixups.

The Gorp fucked around with this message at 00:06 on Mar 22, 2016

Bass Bottles
Jan 14, 2006

BOSS BATTLES DID NOTHING WRONG
I rarely win online, but sometimes I can get in a few good hits or even take a round and it feels so good, especially when I achieve that through strategy and not just button mashing :)

Maple Leaf
Aug 24, 2010

Let'en my post flyen true
I've used Suicune exclusively so far. Maybe I don't really understand the game as well as I could, but she feels pretty sluggish when it comes to fisticuffs. Her distance game is on point, though.

During Field Phase, Ice Wall (down+Y) is an amazing defensive option. You can only press it for a little wall, or hold it for a big one that last a long time. It absorbs most projectiles; it's a hitbox that slowly advances; you can spam them pretty reliably; if they try to run around it, you usually have enough time to get up a counter or even retaliate, and if you're not fond of either option, you can just run straight through your own wall and they can't follow you. If it's spaced correctly, Garchomp can't dig under it. If you get a knockdown next to a wall, you can back up a little bit, put down a wall, and then grab or attack them because they'll either get hit by the wall or they'll be too busy blocking it. It's obnoxious how good it is, and its bad cooldown can be mitigated just by using the smaller version.

She isn't quite as strong in Duel Phase, especially since you can't use Ice Wall, but the whips on her tail have pretty disgusting range. Her strong down attack can cause knockdown from a full body-length away and it has decent cooldown. Aurora Beam is already really good and you can angle it up. Her strong up attack last forever and, being an anti-air, has enough disjoint to beat just about anything. Also, her high stance by itself is top-tier.

But her definite strength is in her keepaway game. Even without Ice Wall, she still has Blizzard, which is absurdly powerful; Aurora Beam and Hydro Pump; and her aerial Y attack goes the whole stage at a low angle. If you try to camp her back, she has Mirror Coat, which counters itself into Hydro Pump. She's really good at fighting you when you can't fight her back.

That said, she gets bodied pretty badly by smaller characters. I'm pretty sure I haven't beaten a single Weavile and that the match-up might be close to unwinnable for her. Pikachu Libre is crazy difficult too.

It's a fun game! Suicune is nearly level 100 so I'll be looking into someone else soon. Thinking of either Lucario (mostly because he looks easy to use) or Gardevoir (she, like Suicune, has very little representation).

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh

it's hosed up that both the school uniform and a pompadour exist in this game, yet this is the closest I can get. where's my bodytype/pose options namco :(

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Please watch this video

Apparently Weaviles High stance and Pikachu's Low stance repair their block shield thing.

Drowning Rabbit
Oct 28, 2003

YAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY!

Evil Canadian posted:

I do have a pro controller, however I do not have a second wii U. Playing with 1 wii U and someone playing with the frame rate cut in half at a lower resolution while looking at the tablet isn't too appealing. A drat shame because this seems like a fun little casual fighter I could actually get a lot of people interested in locally.

Don't blow it out of proportion, if you haven't tried it yourself don't pa dear to the minority that is screaming over bullet points. I just played it on one wii u doing local battles all day yesterday with 0 issues.

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

Please watch this video

Apparently Weaviles High stance and Pikachu's Low stance repair their block shield thing.

:staredog:

Orange Crush Rush
May 7, 2009

You don't need thumbs for revenge
I just noticed that in Telltur Town, the small village stage, there's a trainer on a Bike doing laps around the arena with a Volcarona flying behind him. There's also a nearby Daycare Center with a Ditto, Gabite and a bunch of Gibles running around.

This game knows it's audience pretty well.

Rich Uncle Chet
Jan 20, 2005

The Law? Law is a Human Institution.

If they ever do any DLC for this game, they should include Ditto, and each one of it's moves should have it turning into a different Pokemon (ala Double From Skullgirls), and it's burst attack would have it turning into many pokemon in rapid succession.

That being said, I'm sad mirror matches don't give your opponent's pokemon the Ditto face.

Hip-Hoptimus Rhyme
Mar 19, 2009

Gods don't make mistakes

Rich Uncle Chet posted:

That being said, I'm sad mirror matches don't give your opponent's pokemon the Ditto face.

Until you said this, I didn't realize how much I wanted it.

Xad
Jul 2, 2009

"Either Sonic is God, or could kill God, and I do not care if there is a difference!"

College Slice

Rich Uncle Chet posted:

If they ever do any DLC for this game, they should include Ditto, and each one of it's moves should have it turning into a different Pokemon (ala Double From Skullgirls), and it's burst attack would have it turning into many pokemon in rapid succession.

I was thinking something like Mokujin from Tekken i.e. has a random other Pokemon's moveset that changes every round, but I think a more Double-y moveset like you suggested would be way cooler. Or maybe that would be something for a Smeargle?

Either way they'd have to decide to even do DLC first. There are just so many cool unused Pokemon to choose from :allears:

Ometeotl
Feb 13, 2012

It's MISSEL! Or SISSLE!
I confused myself...

I have done nothing but play as Gengar since I opened this game this afternoon. After working halfway through the Red League, I decided to summon the courage and take a dip in the Ranked Online pool and went 4 for 5, so I'm feeling pretty good for now.

MechaSeinfeld
Jan 2, 2008

Whats the difference between the classes? Like, what makes Gengar 'technical' and Suicune 'standard'? Does it even matter?

Game's rad though. Good level of complexity and simplicity, considering that the last fighter I got into was Smash Bros and I'm shithouse at SF.

Sceptile is kinda my boy right now. I can't quite get the hang of the dash cancels though. I think my inputs are just a hell messy.

Dosvidanya
May 28, 2004

I don't advertise for free ;-*
it was covered in the tutorial but in general technical characters have low hp, low synergy gain rate, long burst modes iirc and generally have good zoning/tools

speed has low hp, fast synergy gain rate, short burst mode

standard has normal hp/etc

power has high hp, low synergy gain, long burst mode

Theta Zero
Dec 22, 2014

I've seen it.

Ometeotl posted:

I have done nothing but play as Gengar since I opened this game this afternoon. After working halfway through the Red League, I decided to summon the courage and take a dip in the Ranked Online pool and went 4 for 5, so I'm feeling pretty good for now.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pe5XD9Hyoj0

This is how I imagine Gengar players when they land grab combos.

The Gorp
Jan 7, 2013

My style is impetuous,
My arms are tired
How do you play characters that aren't power characters?

Theta Zero
Dec 22, 2014

I've seen it.

The Gorp posted:

How do you play characters that aren't power characters?

Pick Mewtwo, have literally all options at all times because your command counter is also a normal, your normal can become a command grab, your command shield is a grab, counter, normal, or movement option, and your burst attack is a grab where the only defense option is to jump.

Shadow Ninja 64
May 21, 2007

"I stood there, wondering why the puck was getting bigger...

and then it hit me."

I stumbled on this small-ish forum for Pokken stuff via a Youtube video and learned some things for the characters I've messed with: http://pokkenarena.boards.net/forum

Here's some Garchomp stuff I learned from there or based on things I saw there:

Duel mode midscreen:

X (hold X), b+Y, release X [210 damage]
fff+X (hold X), b+Y, release X [202 damage]
midair X (hold X), b+Y, release X [194 damage, must hit the midair X low on the opponent]

Duel mode, at the wall:

They have some other combos here ending in f+YY, but for what seems to be max damage, you can just go with these:

[X or u+X or u+A or u+Y or X+A] wallsplat, delay u+X (hold X and backwards), release X [251 damage / 246 damage / 206 damage / 228 damage / 134 damage]

The key here is just to make sure you get all three hits of u+X and all the hits of release X. Holding backwards helps ensure you'll take a small step toward the opponent and hit the release X deep enough.

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

Rich Uncle Chet posted:

This isn't how ditto works anywhere except a single episode of the cartoon which apparently everyone remembers. Ditto normally makes perfect copies, that one ditto was just bad at it.

Benach
Aug 15, 2013
Combos in this game are pretty situation-based. In addition to the normal starting position, damage, knockback/down, meter gain, character sizes, character stance and wall considerations like in other games, you also have to keep track of the phase-changing system, of when it will shift and whether or not you want it to shift. Which is nebulous as hell and I'm having a hard time figuring out.
It's also unfortunate that this game's buttons are "Light", "Strong" and "Pokemon", since it makes combo listing a pain so everybody just uses the default control scheme buttons.

With that in mind,
My current Pikachu Libre duel mode bnb no-wall combo is
→X, →X, ↑→Y, air Y, jump forward Y, ↓X, ↓X - 155 Damage (with no buffs), doesn't cause phase shift but is really close

↑→Y as opposed to ↑Y is important since the latter misses on smaller characters. The timing for the two air Y are crucial, must be delayed a bit to land the end. ↓X, ↓X is deceptively early, should be done as soon as you land. Also, for some reason this combo is harder to land on Charizard than anybody else.
You can also cut it short, omitting the second jumping Y or even the first jumping Y string and hit ↓X, ↓X for phase changing considerations, or instead with ↑X, ↑X to become Enhanced for slightly less damage (though you probably can't end the full series with it since it lacks the range).
This also drags the opponent about halfway across the stage (more or less, depending on the stage size), where there's more complicated follow-ups/finishers depending on where in the combo they hit the wall. A new option of "→X, ←A" for debuff (and damage, if enhanced) is possible.

What I'm saying is, I hope somebody finds a better bnb.

Benach fucked around with this message at 10:36 on Mar 22, 2016

The GIG
Jun 28, 2011

Yeah, I say "Shit" a shit-ton of times. What of it, shithead?

Amppelix posted:

This isn't how ditto works anywhere except a single episode of the cartoon which apparently everyone remembers. Ditto normally makes perfect copies, that one ditto was just bad at it.

Everyone remembers it because it was funny and memorable and the company themselves produce plush toys and other stuff based on it.

Reiley
Dec 16, 2007

Amppelix posted:

Thanks, Neil Degrass Typeson

Cat Machine
Jun 18, 2008

Amppelix posted:

you're a fun guy to be around i bet

absolutely anything
Dec 28, 2006

~As for dreams, she has enough and more to spare~
people who don't rematch at least once after a friendly match are scum

Shadow Ninja 64
May 21, 2007

"I stood there, wondering why the puck was getting bigger...

and then it hit me."

Benach posted:

With that in mind,
My current Pikachu Libre duel mode bnb no-wall combo is
→X, →X, ↑→Y, air Y, jump forward Y, ↓X, ↓X - 155 Damage (with no buffs), doesn't cause phase shift but is really close

What I'm saying is, I hope somebody finds a better bnb.

It's not more damage, but I got 145 doing f+XX, u/f+Y, falling midair Y as late as possible, walk forward YYY cancel b+A. The YYY string has to be timed to get the blue slap on the third hit to get 145 damage out of it. This character's damage seems to be really poo poo outside of her powered up mode though so maybe you should prioritize that over damage unless you're gonna get the kill.

Edit: Oh, the YYY thing doesn't even cause the enhanced state like I thought it did. What a weird character. Ending in YYXX for enhanced is like 131 damage.

Shadow Ninja 64 fucked around with this message at 11:43 on Mar 22, 2016

MechaSeinfeld
Jan 2, 2008

Dosvidanya posted:

it was covered in the tutorial but in general technical characters have low hp, low synergy gain rate, long burst modes iirc and generally have good zoning/tools

speed has low hp, fast synergy gain rate, short burst mode

standard has normal hp/etc

power has high hp, low synergy gain, long burst mode

Oh right on. I must've missed that part when my roommate played through the tutorial.

The story mode is okay, if a bit boring. If there was like, I dunno, bonus objectives like "perform a successful counter three times", "perform Combo 5" or something it could've made it more interesting. As it is now you can pretty much sleepwalk through it for hot Pokebux.

Everything about machamp owns. Dropkicking idiots is great.

Doctor Goat
Jan 22, 2005

Where does it hurt?
Is there a way to pick alt colors that I'm missing? Braixen's alt color owns.

Cat Machine
Jun 18, 2008

Doctor Goat posted:

Pretty sure it's just for mirrors because otherwise I would be rocking Pikachu's spandex 24/7

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

Rich Uncle Chet posted:

as cool as an idea this is a body morphing character on that scale is way trickier to do in 3D than a more normal character so it'd be a huge effort all just for one character

as opposed to skullgirls where hey, it's all loving sprites no matter how they're animated

Emalde
May 3, 2007

Just a cage of bones, there's nothing inside.

Doctor Goat posted:

Be the player 2 in a mirror match; in other words, no :(

Inflammatory
Apr 22, 2014

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

Please watch this video

weavile and pikachu's sounds a lot more situational than the others, i'm almost never in any danger of my shield breaking since it seems like most players aren't super aggressive.

this upsets me because weavile's my boy. :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ventana
Mar 28, 2010

*Yosh intensifies*

Brother Entropy posted:

as cool as an idea this is a body morphing character on that scale is way trickier to do in 3D than a more normal character so it'd be a huge effort all just for one character

as opposed to skullgirls where hey, it's all loving sprites no matter how they're animated

In terms of just morphing a character into another? It shouldn't be that much more difficult since I'd think that you'd just need some messy transition frames while it loads in other moves which is perfectly feasible. Outside of that, it's just the same as any character in that you start the round and the game loads the given set of animations/models for that selected character.

The real issue is if you want to do the sort of slimy/gooey stuff that Double has, like how Venom is in the Marvel versus games. That poo poo is super hard in 3d and would mess up everything because it would have to be models + behavior to be programmed, where as you could just do normal sprites to get that effect in 2D. Getting a consistent theme for a transforming character like that which wouldn't be super clashing/gross looking and still fitting is probably the most daunting task.

I'd guess that's why with 3D models, you'll see this kind of archetype be more like Seth from SF4 or Charade/Necrid in Soul Calibur where the character has 1 base model that switches between pre-selected moves in that same model (or in Charade's case, the given round's random selection), rather than actually turning into those said things.

Inflammatory posted:

weavile and pikachu's sounds a lot more situational than the others, i'm almost never in any danger of my shield breaking since it seems like most players aren't super aggressive.

this upsets me because weavile's my boy. :(

This will probably change with time as people learn how to play the game better, would make sense that most of us start out flailing but learn later how to properly apply pressure.

• Locked thread