Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Harminoff
Oct 24, 2005

👽
I've been listening to Tiger Belly since it started and enjoy it a lot. It's Bobby Lee from mad tv (who I never really liked until hearing him on David Choe's podcast DVDASA) with no filter telling stories about his life. His life was pretty messed up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kings Of Calabria
Sep 10, 2013

Lampsacus posted:

Stone Ape
http://www.nobleape.com/stone/
Two old friends have phone conversations about their interests. AI, consciousness, psychedelics, the model train community. They tend to repeat themselves and often speak nonsense but there is something warm and honest about their conversations. I found this podcast through trawling 90s AI webrings. I think its the most obscure podcast I listen to ever.

lol these guys are cool. Really have no idea what these guys are supposed to be talking about, but what they land on is really funny. For a pair that probably didn't put in too much time to learning ~the craft of podcasting~ beyond hitting "record", they naturally have a really nice flow and they contrast each other nicely. Really have no reason to subscribe but I did anyway. The American guy is just the right amount of grumpy haha.

Lampsacus
Oct 21, 2008

Kings Of Calabria posted:

lol these guys are cool. Really have no idea what these guys are supposed to be talking about, but what they land on is really funny. For a pair that probably didn't put in too much time to learning ~the craft of podcasting~ beyond hitting "record", they naturally have a really nice flow and they contrast each other nicely. Really have no reason to subscribe but I did anyway. The American guy is just the right amount of grumpy haha.
I echo these sentiments. I listened to a recent episode where one guy was trying to convince the other to read some academic work on AI and they spent like half an hour arguing over I don't know something about whether he'd appriciate the author's voice/intent? And then they drifted into chatting about sex cam sites. One of them, the old dude, has apparently tried to run a cam show so he can have somebody to talk to while he does his research on philosophy.

Last year they had a series of episodes bitching about the model train podcast community and it's flaws.

Anyway, they are a nice contrast to the 'gotta be funny' of comedian pocasters. They really are just a couple of dudes living in 90s internet trying to handle their friendship. Or something. I don't know.

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

Not sure if this has been talked about in this thread, but does anyone know of a any podcast (or radio show) with hosts that have pleasant-sounding voices? The content of the podcast really doesn't matter, I'll listen to anything really. I'm a big fan of NPR, and all their hosts have voices that are very soothing to listen to. By contrast I've never listened to any internet podcast that I could turn on and listen to just for the sounds of the voices of the hosts.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 7 days!

SciFiDownBeat posted:

Not sure if this has been talked about in this thread, but does anyone know of a any podcast (or radio show) with hosts that have pleasant-sounding voices? The content of the podcast really doesn't matter, I'll listen to anything really. I'm a big fan of NPR, and all their hosts have voices that are very soothing to listen to. By contrast I've never listened to any internet podcast that I could turn on and listen to just for the sounds of the voices of the hosts.

Welcome to Nightvale, Lore, Whistlestop, You Must Remember This, Criminal, and Amicus all have hosts with nice, calm, soothing voices.

I'm looking for a few more tabletop real play podcasts. I am currently listening to Glass Cannon, Adventure Zone, and started Sneak Attack. Used to listen to Drunks & Dragons (everything is self referencing now), Critical Hit (Rodrigo is the worst monotone DM), and Crit Juice (it was funny but the last few episodes have sucked).

zachol
Feb 13, 2009

Once per turn, you can Tribute 1 WATER monster you control (except this card) to Special Summon 1 WATER monster from your hand. The monster Special Summoned by this effect is destroyed if "Raging Eria" is removed from your side of the field.
RPPR has had a pretty wide variety of games and most of the players/GMs are alright to listen to, and they've rotated the group around over the years.
Friends at the Table is alright, although I think Austin can be a little too frenetic and awkward sometimes. Skip past the Dungeon World campaign, maybe?

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

If it wasn't for disappointment
I wouldn't have any appointment

Grimey Drawer

SciFiDownBeat posted:

The New Yorker Fiction
Urban Dharma Podcast
Lore (if you aren't easily scared or disturbed)

If you have Spotify, they have a ton of lectures by Joseph Campbell in a single playlist, and it's incredibly insightful while charming and relaxing.

NoUU
Mar 8, 2013

e:wrong thread

grate deceiver
Jul 10, 2009

Just a funny av. Not a redtext or an own ok.
Hey guys, I'm trying to remember the name of a podcast I listened to a while ago. It was either a neurology, general science, or maybe just general interesting stuff podcast. It was specifically an episode about neurofeedback, an interview with some dudes from a company that does neurofeedback training for athletes, performers and the like. They talked about how they connect EEG electrodes to a video player, and based on your concentration level it either pauses or lets you watch a movie, which trains your brain to stay within certain brainwave range. At the end of the interview, the hosts tested the method on themselves.

Anyone knows what I'm talking about? It might have been a podcast recommended in this thread.

Lacedaemonius
Jan 18, 2015

Rub a dub dub

SciFiDownBeat posted:

The host of the History Of Philosophy podcast has a really smooth and relaxed voice which is perfect for the subject, and it seems like all his guests do as well. It's uncanny really, I just imagine the whole philosophy department at Cambridge smoking blunts and listening to Bob Marley while discussing the finer points of Hegel. The only thing I don't really like is how he has a habit of smacking his lips, but to his credit it took me about a dozen episodes to notice.

Kamakaze9
Jun 11, 2005
Hey you guys!!

Mr Hootington posted:

Welcome to Nightvale, Lore, Whistlestop, You Must Remember This, Criminal, and Amicus all have hosts with nice, calm, soothing voices.

I'm looking for a few more tabletop real play podcasts. I am currently listening to Glass Cannon, Adventure Zone, and started Sneak Attack. Used to listen to Drunks & Dragons (everything is self referencing now), Critical Hit (Rodrigo is the worst monotone DM), and Crit Juice (it was funny but the last few episodes have sucked).

I completely agree with your critical hit comment. The first one I really enjoyed was Nerd Poker. It's Brian Posehn and some of his friends (comedians/tv writers) playing 4th ed. They sometimes devolve into jokes and stuff but it's generally good and their dm is the best I've heard.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 7 days!

zachol posted:

RPPR has had a pretty wide variety of games and most of the players/GMs are alright to listen to, and they've rotated the group around over the years.
Friends at the Table is alright, although I think Austin can be a little too frenetic and awkward sometimes. Skip past the Dungeon World campaign, maybe?

I'll try the RPPR. Friends at the table dungeon world was boring. Nothing happened. I'll try the mechnoir/whatever other game but it sounds needlessly complicated.

Kamakaze9 posted:

I completely agree with your critical hit comment. The first one I really enjoyed was Nerd Poker. It's Brian Posehn and some of his friends (comedians/tv writers) playing 4th ed. They sometimes devolve into jokes and stuff but it's generally good and their dm is the best I've heard.

I forgot I had listened to this and gave up on it. Thought it just dragged on and on and on and wasn't too funny without Duggan. Posehn literally sleeps during the play and podcast.

I'm trying D&D is for James and it isn't good so far. The first episode is basically one guy dragging the group so he can chubby chase.

Tried Godsfall and that one just crawled up its butt so fast. Plus I couldn't hear the hosts half the time because of the music and sound effects.

Jolyne Cujoh
Dec 7, 2012

It's not like I've got no worries...
But I'll be fine.
Hello, this is the time when I plug six feats under! They have a very long running 13th Age game which is rapidly approaching conclusion, plus a bunch of Bonus Feats where they bring in guests to play a whole bunch of RPG'S (mostly cool indie stuff) which are pretty much all great! Not all of the bonus feats are on their website, but you can find them all at https://feats.podbean.com

Another good one for weird indie games and short, digestible stories is One Shot. One Shot is run by two people who are big into the Chicago Improv scene and they get guests from there (or from other podcasts), so basically every episode or series has fun characters who are role played well and entertaining to listen to.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.
They also do CAMPAIGN which is really good.

down1nit
Jan 10, 2004

outlive your enemies
Can I jump on the roll call list too?!

Sawbones has got to be one of the most consistently informative and entertaining podcasts out there. I had heard about MBMBAM before, but had no idea Justin had a loving podcast empire until they started running ads for the other shows. I mostly listen to it for his wife Sidnee/Sydney? who is a legit good doctor, tell listeners (and Justin) about all the horrible things we did to treat our symptoms and maladies. Pliny is like a god drat guest host with how often he makes an appearance with his well-meaning but ultimately incorrect advice. If you're into making good life choices, just do anything Mrs. McElroy tells you to do. She's no nonsense and to the point.

99 Percent Invisible of loving course. There's simply nothing like Mr. Roman Mars' smooth and friendly voice going deep yet understandable about the history and consequences of good design. He's the type of host who really has an ear for a well told story with juuuuuust the right amount of detail to keep a narrative from going dry. Podcast nerds love this show, and no one has yet to make anything as well as Mars and his team do. I live in beautiful, sunny, downtown Oakland CA and walk by the ArcSine office building every day, but have yet to bump into the man :( (the stalker deep inside me wishes I could :q: ).

Under the Influence I had a $50 iTunes gift card and gave it to CBC for Mr. O'Reilly's lovely delve into the art of marketing. This show has everything: A friendly Canadian being polite and considerate, generic elevator music when the licensed songs couldn't be used, simple but obvious tricks that ad agencies pull to get your money, Beatles references, amazingly clever but subtle tricks that ad agencies pull to get your money, cute and memorable asides from the nicest marketer ever to put his voice on a podcast, as well as spectacularly devious and just rage inducing (but still brilliant) tricks that ad agencies do to get your money! There is currently 4 full seasons of content and I can't recommend it enough if you're starting or currently own a business that needs to make more money. What a loving show this is. Mr. O'Reilly is marketing's Andy Rooney WRT his voice and demeanor. I always smile hearing him talk about his passion.

Reply All is a "new" show from Gimlet with a pretty great format. Sometimes the content is lighthearted, sometimes it's depressing, and sometimes it's simply a journey of oddness. I don't think I've ever "tuned out" when listening to it, like sometimes happens with 2+ hours of the Bombcast or with 15 minutes of Planet Money (love that poo poo too though). So far, each episode has been great in it's own way. The mysterious Brake Master Cylinder who does the intro song is truly mysterious and one of the best episodes of the show. Check it out and see if it's up your alley!

The Skeptic's Guide to the Universe has a newish addition with Cara Santa Maria. If you stopped listening after Rebecca left (like i did), Cara brings the on cast together again like the SGU of old and arguably has better understanding of her craft than anyone except Steven (sorry Bob, Evan, Jay, you know it's true). She's like a pretty lady Bill Nye/NDT/Sagan when it comes to science communication. Steven still owns like he always does of course. The man is a god drat genius of logic and science, and sometimes it's just a Steven/Cara show with noises made by the other 3 hosts when they get a chance.

Under the vegetable
Nov 2, 2004

by Smythe

sparksbloom posted:

I've really been enjoying Gilmore Guys for a while, and it's made me want to find more podcasts with the same enthusiastic, goofy sincerity. I think the two that come closest are Doughboys and The X-Files Files. Just anything with people who are willing to make jokes as they chat about stuff they really like. Anyone got any recommendations?

Uhh Yeah Dude. It's a podcast about America, hosted by two American-Americans.

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

I'm sure Gilbert Gottfried's Amazing Colossal Podcast has been recommended here at some point, but it's one of my favorites. It started out as a podcast talking to people who were involved in old Universal horror movies, but it evolved to encompass old, nearly-forgotten movies, TV shows, and actors as well as the occasional stand-up comic. If the thought of Gilbert laughing many times an episode scares you, then suck it up. It's funny, entertaining, and you learn a lot of stories about old actors. My favorite moment was when Gilbert and Dick Van Dyke (still alive and kicking at 91 years old) sang "Supercalafragalisticexpialadocious" together.

For sports likers, and hockey likers in particular, there is Real Good Show. It's hosted by three people with no real fame to speak of (although one of them has a sizable Twitter following) but they're funny. When two of them aren't angry about the Canucks (the third guy is a Maple Leafs fan), they're busy talking about weird and funny moments in sports.

CubeTheory
Mar 26, 2010

Cube Reversal
Several years ago I listened to a series on NPR that was discussing the development of "Publics" over history and how common people came to see themselves as a group. I can't remember if it was a series within a show, or if it was stand alone, and I can't find it for the life of me. Anyone have any idea what I'm talking about?

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Spider-Man's Amazing Construction Company

CubeTheory posted:

Several years ago I listened to a series on NPR that was discussing the development of "Publics" over history and how common people came to see themselves as a group. I can't remember if it was a series within a show, or if it was stand alone, and I can't find it for the life of me. Anyone have any idea what I'm talking about?

While I haven't heard that series, it sounds rather like something you'd hear on Backstory.

Which, by the way, is really good.

The Berzerker
Feb 24, 2006

treat me like a dog

I've started listening to Someone Knows Something which is a cold-case investigation podcast, sort of like Serial but done by the CBC so everybody sounds incredibly Canadian. This season(?) is about a cold case from 1972 where a 5 year old boy disappeared basically without a trace in NE Ontario. I hope it goes somewhere interesting but so far I like it regardless.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

I'm looking for book podcasts. Only one I currently listen to is Overdue and while I like it I could use a few more in my feed. I'm not gonna be particularly picky about which ones I'll give a chance as I have a lot of time to listen to podcasts so just tell me about whatever you like!

My only real preference is that I'd rather the hosts be unafraid to talk about spoilers if they feel it's required for the conversation instead of dancing around them.

HIJK
Nov 25, 2012
in the room where you sleep
I found a new true crime/mystery podcast! The Unresolved Podcast reminds me of Sword and Scale without the idiot editorializing about evil schizophrenics. It's still getting off the ground but the narrator is earnest and keeps his opinions to himself. The musical soundtrack is also very good.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 7 days!

HIJK posted:

I found a new true crime/mystery podcast! The Unresolved Podcast reminds me of Sword and Scale without the idiot editorializing about evil schizophrenics. It's still getting off the ground but the narrator is earnest and keeps his opinions to himself. The musical soundtrack is also very good.

Mike of sword and scale is now onto the evil victims of child abuse that become so broken they kill someone.

HIJK
Nov 25, 2012
in the room where you sleep
Glad I bailed on it when I did then. Dude whines about the State of Society way too much.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 7 days!

HIJK posted:

Glad I bailed on it when I did then. Dude whines about the State of Society way too much.

I am about ready to drop it too. I'm tired of him harping on mentally ill people, victims, and system failures that could be solved but do not. The guy needs to do an episode arc about how and why the system is failing. Why are these mentally ill not getting help? Why is DHS failing? He doesn't have the balls to do it.

Harminoff
Oct 24, 2005

👽
Just found a really really good podcast called [bold]This Won't Hurt A Bit[/bold] it's a very entertaining medical podcast but not in medical speak. The hosts are very enjoyable to listen to and tell some great stories and present things very well. Also, check this out if you like top notch production with great audio cues.

Oh and the host is an Australian ER Doctor. Who doesn't like listening to an Australian?

http://www.wonthurtabit.com/

Here's the first episode on youtube to give you a taste

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yfLDzMy78BI

Human Tornada
Mar 4, 2005

I been wantin to see a honkey dance.

HIJK posted:

I'm really liking this so far. It really is (three episodes in, at least) all the good parts of Sword and Scale and none of the bad. The soundtrack is A+.

Sort of on the opposite end of the spectrum, I'm also liking My Favorite Murderer. It's two women talking about true crime in a light and humorous way. IMO most men a have a sort of detached attitude towards this kind of stuff, because the victims are overwhelmingly women, so it's interesting to hear the perspective of two women. They have a great natural chemistry together and don't come off try-hardy at all. If you find Last Podcast on the Left insufferable give this one a try.

Human Tornada fucked around with this message at 21:12 on Mar 20, 2016

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

Oh drat I had no idea there was a podcast subforum. I am obsessed with podcasts.

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

I know I mentioned this after first discovering this thread, but anyone aware of any good animal/zoology/nature podcasts? I realize it's not the same without the visuals but I'm just envisioning something like Attenborough going on about something spectacular.

Robo Reagan
Feb 12, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
What's out there with a general feel of Prairie Home Companion and Night Vale? I've been listening to old radio serials and stuff like that but wouldn't mind something more modern.

Something with like a D&D bent would be neat. All of the medieval stuff I've found is just some dorks rambling instead of an actual show.

Robo Reagan fucked around with this message at 21:13 on Mar 21, 2016

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 7 days!

Robo Reagan posted:

What's out there with a general feel of Prairie Home Companion and Night Vale? I've been listening to old radio serials and stuff like that but wouldn't mind something more modern.

Thrilling Adventure Hour
EOS 10
Wolf 359
Hadron Gospel Hour
Alice isn't Dead
We're Alive
Hello from the Magic Tavern
Our Fair City
Limetown
Tanis
Black Tapes Podcast
Wormwood first two seasons
The message

The closest match is Thrilling Adventure Hour. The rest are story/serialized podcasts that I've found enjoyable. Some are limited run and others are over now.

Edit:

If you want D&D:
Adventure Zone
Glass Cannon
Sneak Attack
Six Feat Under
Drunks and Dragons until the end of act 1. You can tell when this is
Pretend Wizards is ok, but I'm not far into it and they gently caress around too much.

Mr Hootington fucked around with this message at 21:34 on Mar 21, 2016

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

I have always felt that audio is just not a good medium for fiction. It's never compelled me.

Robo Reagan
Feb 12, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Mr Hootington posted:

Thrilling Adventure Hour
EOS 10
Wolf 359
Hadron Gospel Hour
Alice isn't Dead
We're Alive
Hello from the Magic Tavern
Our Fair City
Limetown
Tanis
Black Tapes Podcast
Wormwood first two seasons
The message

The closest match is Thrilling Adventure Hour. The rest are story/serialized podcasts that I've found enjoyable. Some are limited run and others are over now.

Thanks, I'll check some of them out.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
What happened to drunks and dragons to make it suck, I stopped paying attention to it after a bit and I found some other podcasts like it that worked better for me.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.
I'm looking for a podcast where funny people don't like and possibly rant about Batman v Superman.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

If it wasn't for disappointment
I wouldn't have any appointment

Grimey Drawer

Rick posted:

I'm looking for a podcast where funny people don't like and possibly rant about Batman v Superman.

We Hate Movies did a two hour episode.

Ms. Happiness
Aug 26, 2009

Does anybody know the reason why Caustic Soda isn't going to podcast anymore? It was one of my favorites and I'm pretty bummed they're doing a last episode.

Harminoff
Oct 24, 2005

👽
I found another really good true crime podcast that just started this year. Enjoying it a lot more than sword and scale.

Thin Air http://thinairpodcast.com/

Drunk Tomato
Apr 23, 2010

If God wanted us sober,
He'd knock the glass over.

blue squares posted:

I have always felt that audio is just not a good medium for fiction. It's never compelled me.

The Truth is an outstanding short-story podcast and I highly recommend it to anyone. The engineering is very well done.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Team_q
Jul 30, 2007

Ms. Happiness posted:

Does anybody know the reason why Caustic Soda isn't going to podcast anymore? It was one of my favorites and I'm pretty bummed they're doing a last episode.

I was surprised by it ending too, seeing as I think they just started a new season, I suppose someone had to move on, and they figured go out with a bang instead of trying to soldier on with a different format after 6 years.

It was easily my favourite podcast and would be a go to for me. The only podcast that kind of gives me a similar vibe, though smaller in scope is Sawbones.