Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Derek Barona
Dec 8, 2009

WHO'S YOUR FRIEND?!
According to the old DKC3 manual, K. Rool's more or less fallen off the map at this point. The Northern Kremisphere was discovered, DK and Diddy either took off to explore it and went MIA or just disappeared without any good explanation but it's clear where they went, and KAOS has risen as the new leader of the Kremlings. Dixie finally loses her poo poo and decides to go off after them.

Blaze Dragon posted:

Yeah. Dixie is his cousin and babysitter.

Incorrect! He's Dixie's cousin, yes, but you may recall where we first picked him up. That's right, the game and manual both clearly stated that Funky was supposed to be babysitting, the lazy sack of poo poo. The little story blurb in the manual even stated the first time Dixie laid eyes on him, he was sitting in a corner in a pile of spare tires, chewing on one of them. Funky basically just tossed him at the first Kong to walk in to get him out of his fur.

dscruffy1 posted:

I thought Kiddy Kong was introduced in this game as Funky's nephew. Either way, THE INTERNET tells me Kiddy is Chunky's younger brother. Nevermind that Chunky didn't exist at the time.

Yeah, the DK64 manual clearly introduces Chunky as Kiddy's older brother and Tiny as Dixie's younger sister. Because reusing Dixie or Kiddy was... not... a thing they could do, I guess?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
I am so confused. There was a level I could never beat (the one with Squitter being targeted by fireballs) and I coulda sworn it was in Mekanos. Now I have no idea how much of this game I played.

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

Rarity posted:

I am so confused. There was a level I could never beat (the one with Squitter being targeted by fireballs) and I coulda sworn it was in Mekanos. Now I have no idea how much of this game I played.
That's in the next world, K3.

Anyhew, I love the factory music. Probably is my favorite track in the game. That said, I do agree that Quawks getting introduced in a level where the gimmick is low gravity is bizarre, let alone having both flying animal buddies in the level. It almost feels like they didn't want to limit him to one level and couldn't find anywhere else to put him aside from the later level Artix alluded to. And yes, I do applaud Rare for trying to salvage Quawks from being a single level gimmick. The problem is that as a result, they made him probably the second most gimmicky animal buddy in the game (Ellie, naturally, is the most gimmicky due to how much stuff is attached to her).

Cartheon
Jun 1, 2014

Help me, Oppan. You're my only hope.
The factory music in DKC3 is by far my favorite music from the series, and Rispaw Rampage is my favorite level and it's in my favorite world in the game.

As for Kaos, the manual says that he kidnapped Donkey and Dixie, so you're led to believe he is the big big bad of the whole thing. I love the line about pot and pans that comes up after he is defeated at the end.

GenderSelectScreen
Mar 7, 2010

I DON'T KNOW EITHER DON'T ASK ME
College Slice

Derek Barona posted:

Yeah, the DK64 manual clearly introduces Chunky as Kiddy's older brother and Tiny as Dixie's younger sister. Because reusing Dixie or Kiddy was... not... a thing they could do, I guess?

Yeah, that always confused me. Where was Diddy, Dixie, and Kiddy and why do I have to care about these other nobodies in their place?

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

im stupider then dog shit, i dont give a shit, and i dont give a fuck, and i will never shut the fuck up, and i'll always Respect my enemys.
- ernest hemingway
Diddy was in DK64

Tiny and Chunky had new size changing powers, so I guess they didn't want to just say Dixie and Kiddy had those powers now because whatever

Derek Barona
Dec 8, 2009

WHO'S YOUR FRIEND?!

Acne Rain posted:

Diddy was in DK64

Tiny and Chunky had new size changing powers, so I guess they didn't want to just say Dixie and Kiddy had those powers now because whatever

Nevermind that neither of them had size changing powers until Cranky got them to drink concentrated Chemical X either, so what the gently caress.

Hitlers Gay Secret posted:

Yeah, that always confused me. Where was Diddy, Dixie, and Kiddy and why do I have to care about these other nobodies in their place?

Hey now. Tiny and Chunky are nobodies. Lanky was the heart and soul of the team.

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

Chunky could belch and make a shockwave, he's not a nobody.

FPzero
Oct 20, 2008

Game Over
Return of Mido

Only the first half of world 3 today. It has too much content to put out all in one update.

Derek Barona
Dec 8, 2009

WHO'S YOUR FRIEND?!
Update padding! I want more horrible murder, dammit! :argh:

Artix
Apr 26, 2010

He's finally back,
to kick some tail!
And this time,
he's goin' to jail!
:siren: K3 :siren:

K3's boss is loving dreadful, and somehow isn't the worst boss. You could definitely make a strong case for it though. Also of note, GBA Rockface is really good and probably one of (if not the) best song on the GBA soundtrack.

Artix fucked around with this message at 22:15 on Mar 16, 2016

Derek Barona
Dec 8, 2009

WHO'S YOUR FRIEND?!
Noticing some audio de-sync. The video's a second or so behind you guys.

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

Spawning Bramble's flower is kind of weird. The game expects you to have spoken to him before beating Mekanos and learning about how the machines there are polluting the surrounding area (despite it never being reflected on the world map), then talk to him again after clearning Mekanos to spawn the flower. The problem is that the game does a bad job to point you towards Bramble and explain why you should bother visiting him in the first place. What you did in this video was essentially trigger the first step; once you enter someplace else (like an already cleared world) and then immediately leave, the flower will spawn as normal. I know this because I have done exactly what Artix did, ignore Bramble until after beating Mekanos and then try and see what his deal was.

Artix
Apr 26, 2010

He's finally back,
to kick some tail!
And this time,
he's goin' to jail!
It comes and goes, honestly. Watching it back, the waterfall level is pretty bad but the others are mostly okay? It's stuck in that "I really should fix it but I'm not sure if it's worth the effort to figure out exactly what went wrong" valley. Maybe I'll poke around at it tomorrow. :shrug:

Cartheon
Jun 1, 2014

Help me, Oppan. You're my only hope.
For those unaware, K2 is the second tallest peak in the world. It has that name because it is so remote that they couldn't find a local name for it.

As for the Sky High Secret in Mekanos, it's hanging on a rope from the crane. You can see where the cave used to be in the ground, because there is a hole under it, but they yanked it up.

Cartheon fucked around with this message at 02:08 on Mar 17, 2016

Rabbi Raccoon
Mar 31, 2009

I stabbed you dude!
This next world is probably my least favorite, on the whole. And K3 has the most bullshit secret in the game.

FPzero
Oct 20, 2008

Game Over
Return of Mido

Cartheon posted:

For those unaware, K2 is the second tallest peak in the world. It has that name because it is so remote that they couldn't find a local name for it.

As for the Sky High Secret in Mekanos, it's hanging on a rope from the crane. You can see where the cave used to be in the ground, because there is a hole under it, but they yanked it up.

You know, I never noticed that rope in all my years playing the game. I just thought it was a floating platform and that didn't strike me as odd because Platformers.

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

im stupider then dog shit, i dont give a shit, and i dont give a fuck, and i will never shut the fuck up, and i'll always Respect my enemys.
- ernest hemingway
But... how does the KREMIEN war fit into continuity with the GREAT APE war???

Weeble
Feb 26, 2016
That level where you jump up the waterfalls via barrel is one of my favorites. I really like platforming the forces you to move fast, which is why I really love Tropical Freeze.

On Bleak: He is not the worst boss in the game, no; that would be the next boss. At least the world is fun.

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

Artix posted:

K3's boss is loving dreadful, and somehow isn't the worst boss. You could definitely make a strong case for it though.
No you can't. The three bosses after this one all suck far worse than Bleak. I don't even remember the last one that well, mainly because my memory of it has been blocked out by the last level of the game that's somehow 20 times the bullshit factor of that boss, but there are some horrible gimmicks in it. But in Donkey Kong Land 3, the boss of the next world is the first boss of the game, and Bleak is the second boss. Naturally, they're far easier to beat, but you fight them much differently. Arich is the third boss and is fought the same way as in DKC3.

Krack-Shot Kroc ends up returning in Donkey Kong 64. He's the guy who says "GET OUT" in that really creepy voice. And I didn't use the Nintendo Power player's guide to DKC3, but I did use the Brady Games' unofficial guide to it. As a stupid kid, I was bummed that it didn't follow the same format as the DKC1 Brady Games guide. At the time, I didn't realize that the DKC1 guide's style would be called "'90s as gently caress" 20 years later.

Edit: As bad of a pun "Snow problem!" is, the "Kremean War" pun makes up for it.

get that OUT of my face fucked around with this message at 04:37 on Mar 17, 2016

FPzero
Oct 20, 2008

Game Over
Return of Mido

Since I mentioned it in the video, I thought I'd take a few pictures of the DKC3 Player's Guide I have to show it off. It's really well done, like many Player's Guides Nintendo Power used to make themselves. It's been very well used and read over the years.

I love those full-color maps. They were so helpful to 7-year old me, especially when it came to finding the Bonus rooms.

Bellmaker
Oct 18, 2008

Chapter DOOF

That rat is horrifying :gonk:

For all that I dislike about this game, the cliff levels and Rockface Rumble are fantastic. The cliff levels are all about speed which I love (IIRC, it's been a while), and Rockface Rumble is on par with Wise's best, personally.

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

Bellmaker posted:

I said before that Sneek is the one exception to DKC3's enemies being more cartoony than DKC2's. Neek looks cuddly and its squeaks are more cute than creepy. Not so with Sneek- they look mean and their squeaks sound realistic, which makes them even more terrifying. Ellie has the right idea by being so afraid of them.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Bellmaker posted:

That EVERYTHING is horrifying :stonk:

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

FPzero posted:

Since I mentioned it in the video, I thought I'd take a few pictures of the DKC3 Player's Guide I have to show it off. It's really well done, like many Player's Guides Nintendo Power used to make themselves. It's been very well used and read over the years.

I love those full-color maps. They were so helpful to 7-year old me, especially when it came to finding the Bonus rooms.
I too have this guide and it also helped me get around places.

Although I do have to laugh at the enemies page, mostly because about 30% of those pictured are found in just one level only (like Bazza, Minkey, the Lemguins and Karbine), with a good number of them being tied to a level's gimmick, if not outright THE gimmick of the level.

Looper
Mar 1, 2012
bleak's fight being a remix of an otherwise totally optional and innocuous minigame is trash garbage from a design standpoint but i'd still call him a better boss than kaos, squirt, and the boss of world 7 because at least you're not falling asleep waiting for the chance to hurt him. i'd argue kaos or squirt is the worst in the game overall, though i know a lot of people dislike the next one

also k3 and kremean war are a+ don't hate

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

Swanky's Sideshow is a good way to get Bear Coins, but they're not used nearly as much in DKC3 as Banana Coins are in DKC2, so there really isn't much of a reason to go there unless you really want to see Cranky in this game. But again, I was a dumb kid when I played this game, so I played the Sideshow a lot.

FPzero
Oct 20, 2008

Game Over
Return of Mido

A Kong's home is his castle, but that never stopped DK.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:
By the scientific definition, Chili Peppers are fruits. Same thing with Tomatos.

Technowolf
Nov 4, 2009

FPzero posted:

A Kong's home is his castle, but that never stopped DK.

17:44 is the best freeze frame in the LP so far.

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

Kurieg posted:

By the scientific definition, Chili Peppers are fruits.
Plus Anthony Keidis's style can be accurately referred to as "fruity."

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

DK just went full anime in that last fight, wow. Those air dodges, and back-throwing an enemy much bigger than himself, he only lacked shooting energy beams. I guess the moon gods really are powerful.

masam
May 27, 2010
You guys said he was the King of the Jungle. Are you sure he's not the King... of Kongs?

... i'll see myself out.

Spookyelectric
Jul 5, 2007

Who's there?
Aw man, if you guys have never had lychee fruits or star fruits, then man are you missing out! They are delicious!

I believe peppers are botanically berries. That's all kinds of peppers. Not only are peppers fruits, but so are cucumbers, olives, and tomatoes!

Culinary definitions are different than botanical ones, though.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

So, did DK return the wayward daughter of King Osric to her home. And having no further concern, he and his companions sought adventure in the West. Many wars and feuds did DK fight. Honor and fear were heaped upon his name and, in time, he became a king by his own hand. And this story shall also be told.

Digital Jello
Nov 2, 2012

Now I have a machine gun. Ho! Ho! Ho!
And with that reference, I really can see James Earl Jones voicing K. Rool.

Digamma-F-Wau
Mar 22, 2016

It is curious and wants to accept all kinds of challenges
I remember growing up with GBA version of the first game. Its version of the map screen (which lacked the weird tinging in the background) is burned into my head more than it's snes counterpart
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T2dqBWsriYc

Derek Barona
Dec 8, 2009

WHO'S YOUR FRIEND?!

I would watch the poo poo out of a DK the Kongbarian movie.

Also, a thought about the Cactus King. Perhaps he was the previous champion of the moon gods who went astray and became corrupted and twisted by the divine powers, and DK was called upon to rectify things. Unfortunate for them, they chose a champion even worse than before, because while the Cactus King was once a hero who fell from grace and hid away in seclusion within his own single realm, DK is a monster who abuses his power for conquest and will not stop fighting and killing until there is nothing left.

Derek Barona fucked around with this message at 19:43 on Mar 22, 2016

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Derek Barona posted:

I would watch the poo poo out of a DK the Kongbarian movie.

Also, a thought about the Cactus King. Perhaps he was the previous champion of the moon gods who went astray and became corrupted and twisted by the divine powers, and DK was called upon to rectify things. Unfortunate for them, they chose a champion even worse than before, because while the Cactus King was once a hero who fell from grace and hid away in seclusion within his own single realm, DK is a monster who abuses his power for conquest and will not stop fighting and killing until there is nothing left.

Paying tribute to the Moon Gods involves murdering several animals, forcing a few others under your rule, and stealing each and every banana you can find, regardless of who gets hurt or what gets destroyed.

What the hell makes you think that DK being an even worse being than their last champion isn't what they wanted?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

My disdain for you all knows no bounds.
Incidentally, the Wii version changed the "plot" from DK beating things up for the heck of it to, animals stole his bananas, get them back. Clearly historical revisionism in action.

Araxxor fucked around with this message at 23:00 on Mar 22, 2016

• Locked thread