Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

I really want to post goatse. Instead I only have these🍄.

Viperix posted:

Don't ask me, I've found that an S&C old fashioned is all I've ever needed.

For my own question: I've got a bottle of Rhum Clement VSOP, What should I do with it? Ti Punch is an obvious start, but what else?

You can try making an ultra-authentic Mai Tai, since it called for aged Martinique rhum originally.

CodfishCartographer posted:

So, I finally found a bottle of S&C, at the very last place i thought to look - a little local mom & pop supermarket right up the street. :doh: I can't believe I never checked there, I just assumed such a small place wouldn't carry it. I've taken a few sips of it and holy poo poo is it great, can't wait to have an Old Fashioned with it. Any other good suggestions for it, now that I've finally snagged a bottle?

Kenning posted:

Probably my favorite use of Smith and Cross is in an Old Fashioned – 1.5 oz Smith and Cross, 1 tsp 2:1 turbinado syrup, 2 dashes bitters. I let it sit on the ice for a while to dilute and get very cold. I'd also recommend trying a Clyde River Punch.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Viperix
Apr 21, 2006
So my friends parents are going to Jaimaca. Is there anything exclusively local I should tell them to pick up?

Edit: Side note, that Clement Vieux is loving fantastic. Neat, Ti punch, both excellent. Next I'll try the Old Fashioned treatment because that's what I do with everything.

Viperix fucked around with this message at 05:12 on Feb 20, 2016

Mahler
Oct 30, 2008

Splurged today. Tonight is dedicated to a vertical tasting of El Dorado, with the 21 year old being the newest member of the family.

The knowledgeable guy at the cash register recommended I try Zacapa 23 next.

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

I really want to post goatse. Instead I only have these🍄.

Holy poo poo that looks good as gently caress.

My rum collection is much fallen off lately since I've not been making as much money as I was but maaaaaan I want to have some rum now.

Mahler
Oct 30, 2008

The 21 year old is really fantastic. Layers and layers of mouth-coating flavour. Something to savour over the course of a half hour or longer. Considering the price point at LCBO (it costs as much as 3 bottles of El Dorado 12, which goes on sale fairly often for $35 CAD), I'll be indulging less often than the others in the range. So, if I've already gotten those 3 bottles, would you say that it's worth it to also check out the 5 and 8 year olds? I'm asking this as someone who mostly sips Scotch and Rum, with very occasional ventures into Old Fashioneds (holy poo poo smith and cross).

Rum Collection so far:
El Dorado 21, 15, 12
Barbancourt 5 star (fascinating stuff, would literally kill a man for a bottle of the Estate Reserve 15 year old)
Pusser's Navy Rum
Smith and Cross
Flor de Cana 4 year old (kinda gross)
Plantation Grande Reserve (custardy sweet but no depth)
Goslings Dark Seal (it's fine I guess, got it for dark and stormies but apparently I don't really like that kind of mixed drink :shrug: )

Possible next bottles: I want to try something from Diplomatica, but unfortunately this province is out of Exclusiva, which someone on here was raving about earlier; Zacapa 23

Fart Car '97
Jul 23, 2003

Zacapa 23 is fine but it doesn't have a ton of character imo. Smooth and sweet but not a lot else going on.

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Here's a pic of my current rum collection:

left to right:
Zacapa 23 (Guatemala)
Zacapa XO (Guatemala)
Millonario XO (Peru)
Dictador 12yo (Colombia)
La Hechicera (Colombia)
Rum Nation Panama 18yo (Panama)
Diplomatico Exclusiva (Venezuela)
Rum Nation Demerara n.14 (Guyana)
El Dorado 15yo (Guyana)
Smith & Cross (Jamaica)
Pusser's Navy strength (Barbados, West Indies)
Flor de Caña 12yo (Nicaragua)

The two Colombian rums are the most recent additions, my current favorite is tied between Millonario and Pusser's, both VERY different. My least favorite is the Caña, it's very varnishy and solventy and doesn't smell or taste it's age.

spankmeister fucked around with this message at 12:59 on Feb 27, 2016

Ralith
Jan 12, 2011

I see a ship in the harbor
I can and shall obey
But if it wasn't for your misfortune
I'd be a heavenly person today
Can confirm, old Flor de Caña is seriously underwhelming. The mid range stuff mixes nicely, though.

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Ralfy reviewed some rums:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9a1aotM4ym0

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vniLxmPMAg0

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8Eoh3OSyUM0

I have to say ralfy never steered me wrong so I bought the Foursquare and am very happy with it.
I'm on the lookout for the Fair 10yo and the Penny Blue.

mfcrocker
Jan 31, 2004

Hot Rope Guy

Ralith posted:

Can confirm, old Flor de Caña is seriously underwhelming. The mid range stuff mixes nicely, though.

The 4yr is a hell of a mixer

Landrobot
Jul 14, 2001

The Land of the Robots will rise again
Current list of fave Rums:

1. El Dorado 12 year
2. Diplomatico Exclusiva
3. Kirk and Sweeney 23 year

No one has mentioned the Kirk and Sweeney rum brand yet here. They have a few different ones, including a 12 year, which is also great. The 23 year is only $10 more and is well worth the extra cost for its full bold flavors. While not as sweet as the El Dorado style Guyana distilled types, it has an insanely complex flavor that will please any of you all here. Lots of woodsy flavors, deep, and mouthful. I'm not a fan of the Ron Zacapa 23 year, since I believe it falls flat without much going on. The Kirk and Sweeney is quite amazing and worth trying out.

Lost Spritis Distillery has a royal Navy proof rum that's also a delight. It's pretty strong on the alcohol (68%), so it's only for the hardcore here. Super complex and sweet, besides its high ABV%.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
When can I start buying rum from Cuba.

Do I want to buy rum from Cuba?

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

I've been here the whole time, and you're not my real Dad! :emo:

Steve Yun posted:

When can I start buying rum from Cuba.

Do I want to buy rum from Cuba?

As a Canadian yeah. It's decent.

So I ran out of red vermouth. Give me a good use for a 2/3 full bottle of aperol

Shbobdb
Dec 16, 2010

by Reene

bunnyofdoom posted:

As a Canadian yeah. It's decent.

So I ran out of red vermouth. Give me a good use for a 2/3 full bottle of aperol

Not Rum, but I love aperol spritzers. Put some ice in a glass, fill it 90-95% of the way with aperol, top off with bubbly of your choice (that dry prosecco you have left over from brunch is a good call) and throw in a lemon or orange peel.

It's a wonderfully easy drink in the afternoon.

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

I've been here the whole time, and you're not my real Dad! :emo:
Gah. Thought this was the cocktail thread. My bad.

Klenath
Aug 12, 2005

Shigata ga nai.
I'm a big fan of El Dorado 15 year and Plantation 20th Anniversary for rums that are more molasses-like in flavor to me than sugary. Ron Zacapa Centenario 23 is good and more molasses-like in flavor, but not as good as Plantation 20th Anniversary which cost me less at the time. I like Pyrat when I'm in the mood for effectively drinking simple syrup it's so drat sweet and I'm told it's good to mix with a ginger beer. For general mixing, I usually get Cruzan's standard golden because it's inexpensive and won't make you go blind. Been a while since I've had Mt. Gay Eclipse, but I remember liking it a lot.

There's a small rum distillery in Pittsburgh, PA called Maggie's Farm which does some really good stuff. They've been operating for fewer than 5 years, but make some really good stuff. I don't think the owner/operator distributes very far yet simply due to a lack of stock and space. His Queen's Share rum finished in bourbon barrels is amazing. I hope he can expand and stay afloat because he makes good stuff. If you go to the distillery you can taste a lot of their products - except maybe the Queen's Share line because it's fancy-pants.

If you ever go to Jamaica you can buy some Royal Jamaican for a wilder style of rum. Even the 10-year aged stuff is still wild - but quite good. It's generally not far off Appleton's style to give you an idea. I've not seen Royal Jamaican in the US anywhere, sadly.

In Seattle, WA there is a rum bar on Pike Street called Rumba with a good vibe and something like 300 rums on their shelves (and good tacos). I strongly suggest checking it out if for nothing more than to peruse the rum list. They had rum from places you wouldn't think would produce it - like Thailand (SangSom) and India (Old Monk). The bartender I talked to said that just because they have a rum doesn't mean it's good - it's mostly so they can claim they have it and increase their count.

In San Francisco, CA is another rum bar called Smuggler's Cove that has 400+ rums. The location was about 3 blocks from a place I stayed at when I visited the city a few years ago ... but it wasn't open yet. :(

Klenath fucked around with this message at 19:02 on Mar 25, 2016

Fart Car '97
Jul 23, 2003

I like Pyrat XO because it has a distinct orange flavor that I find really tasty

pgroce
Oct 24, 2002
Maggie's Farm is indeed the poo poo, and the barrel-aged Queen's Share is the pick of the litter. The white is the tastiest daiquiri rum I've ever had, too.

Also awesome: their Airline Overproof, which is white rum in the maximum quantity and highest proof permitted in US airline carry-ons by the TSA. Screw paying $9/ea for a tiny bottle of Bacardi.

Fart Car '97
Jul 23, 2003

Where the heck do I get that in DC

Klenath
Aug 12, 2005

Shigata ga nai.
Forgot to mention another treasure from Jamaica I've not seen or seen a lot of in the US: Rum Cream. I think the closest I've seen is RumChata, but I'm pretty sure it's not quite the same thing.

The two labels in Jamaica that I saw are Wray & Nephew and Sangster's with the latter being better as it is a bit smoother. If you're not going to sip it straight / on ice it won't matter and Sangster's is a couple dollars more.

It's great in hot chocolate, in coffee with rum for a Jamaican Coffee (instead of an Irish Coffee), or just on ice.

Fart Car '97 posted:

Where the heck do I get that in DC

Pretty sure Maggie's Farm stuff doesn't leave PA, if that's what you meant. Queen's Share definitely wouldn't if they're just getting around to entertaining a push into other states. They'd start with their main lines - which are still quite good.

Nicol Bolas
Feb 13, 2009

Klenath posted:

There's a small rum distillery in Pittsburgh, PA called Maggie's Farm which does some really good stuff. They've been operating for fewer than 5 years, but make some really good stuff. I don't think the owner/operator distributes very far yet simply due to a lack of stock and space. His Queen's Share rum finished in bourbon barrels is amazing. I hope he can expand and stay afloat because he makes good stuff. If you go to the distillery you can taste a lot of their products - except maybe the Queen's Share line because it's fancy-pants.

DUDE. I'm going home to PGH for my brother's wedding in two weeks and we are gonna be hard up for stuff to do during the day. I'm so pumped to go here & taste this stuff! It sounds awesome!

Nicol Bolas fucked around with this message at 23:32 on Mar 25, 2016

Landrobot
Jul 14, 2001

The Land of the Robots will rise again
We have some stuff made here in Georgia called Richland Rum that's insanely tasty. I'm not sure if it's available outside the state. Comparable to El Dorado 15 year but with some more complexity and less sweetness. Retails around $50-60/bottle. http://www.richlandrum.com/home.html

If anyone ever wants to do some rum swaps via mail, I'm game! I can also get Smith and Cross and a ton of other stuff here.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
Any opinions on Doorly's in general? I picked up a bottle because, well, actually my wife grabbed it, because there was a macaw on the bottle.

Klenath
Aug 12, 2005

Shigata ga nai.

Nicol Bolas posted:

DUDE. I'm going home to PGH for my brother's wedding in two weeks and we are gonna be hard up for stuff to do during the day. I'm so pumped to go here & taste this stuff! It sounds awesome!

About a year ago, my wife and I stayed a few nights in Pittsburgh on the way to visit my grandma. We hit up a number of local places and Maggie's Farm was on the top of my list. I really liked their spiced rum.

Not far from Maggie's Farm is Church Brew Works if you're into beer. Their pierogi pizza was strange (in a good way) and quite delicious.

If you like gin and/or rye, hit up Wigle Whiskey over in the strip district. They're a bit pricey, but really good. I don't really like gin, but I like their gin. They do gin/rye flights.

For more rum, Kaya in the strip district has good Caribbean style food and some good rums to try as well - like Kirk & Sweeney 12 year.

Klenath fucked around with this message at 03:08 on Mar 26, 2016

Nicol Bolas
Feb 13, 2009
I'm a native and go back to the Burgh at least once every two years, so this is super valuable--my sister took us to Church Brew Works and the pierogies were excellence and the venue was delightfully blasphemous. Thanks for the other recommendations! I also want to look into hitting up Cure, I've heard about them a couple of times.

pgroce
Oct 24, 2002
For a rum bar, you should definitely hit Hidden Harbor. It's a new tiki bar with very knowledgeable staff and a small (so far) but well-curated selection of rums. They're also into Dave Arnold-style craziness. They have a cotton candy machine that they sometimes spin Campari in, for instance. (Their sister beer bar is quite good too.)

Pittsburgh is a pretty good place to drink. Ironically, given how especially hosed up its liquor laws are.

Fart Car '97
Jul 23, 2003

Campari cotton candy :vince:

Nicol Bolas
Feb 13, 2009

pgroce posted:

For a rum bar, you should definitely hit Hidden Harbor. It's a new tiki bar with very knowledgeable staff and a small (so far) but well-curated selection of rums. They're also into Dave Arnold-style craziness. They have a cotton candy machine that they sometimes spin Campari in, for instance. (Their sister beer bar is quite good too.)

Pittsburgh is a pretty good place to drink. Ironically, given how especially hosed up its liquor laws are.

I was gonna say, I've definitely spent like $25 on a six-pack that cost me $15 back in Boston with its horrible blue laws, probably costs $10 out here in Colorado where things are sane and not based on Puritan or Quaker bullshit. I DEFINITELY want that campari cotton candy though.

Is there a "places to eat and drink in Pittsburgh" thread kicking around anywhere? Seems like a thing that should exist, though I'm definitely not the person to start it, since I haven't lived there in over 10 years and I was never of legal drinking age (or funding to go to the really cool spots) when I was there.

Fart Car '97
Jul 23, 2003

I tried Clement Select Barrel last night, it was good. Not amazing, but good. Sweet at first, grassy and a little funk on the mid, really light finish with a kinda sea-air linger? Could make a great cocktail.

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas of infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage far.

Grimey Drawer
I like to cycle through all my rums when I drink, which is good for variety but has the downside of making me run out of everything at the same time. I've developed a stable of go-to brands now that I can count on to be a good balance between cost and quality, something I feel rum does a lot better than most other liquors.

So we've got Black Seal for my Dark n Stormys, Capt Morgan 100 for my rums n diet coke, Blackheart, Kraken and Sailor Jerry for the same as well as some Old Monk which is still my favorite rum for straight sippin'. I had a few extra bucks so I decided to splurge a little, that last Barbancourt 4yr bottle is empty, I upgraded to the 8yr Reserve Especiale next to it, and you guys won't shut up about El Dorado so I got a bottle of 12yr just to see how it is. I think the only other brand I can recommend is Mt. Gay Eclipse, just didn't have room for it this time.

My one regret is that I didn't take the opportunity to stock up on Lemon Hart 151 when they were just about to stop distribution in the US, if any non-Amerigoons ever see a bottle grab it immediately, it's lots of fun and you only need a little bit at a time :)

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Got myself a bottle of Rum Nation Barbados 10yo. It's delightfully fruity. From the same stills as malibu, goes to show what you get if you allow a spirit to reach maturity and not drown it in sugar and artificial coconut flavour.

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas of infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage far.

Grimey Drawer

spankmeister posted:

Got myself a bottle of Rum Nation Barbados 10yo. It's delightfully fruity. From the same stills as malibu, goes to show what you get if you allow a spirit to reach maturity and not drown it in sugar and artificial coconut flavour.

I mainly focus on the darker spiced rums, is that a good one for a lighter flavor? I've been avoiding the mass produced fruit flavors like Malibu and Bacardi for obvious reasons so I'm pretty ignorant on that front.

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Takes No Damage posted:

I mainly focus on the darker spiced rums, is that a good one for a lighter flavor? I've been avoiding the mass produced fruit flavors like Malibu and Bacardi for obvious reasons so I'm pretty ignorant on that front.

It's definitely in the dark rum camp, it's fruity and bright but also has notes of spice and dark sugar. If you only drink the spiced rums it definitely is a good step in a somewhat lighter style of rum. It's not as light and delicate as a French style Rhum Agricole like for example Clement though.

The fruitiness comes from the spirit itself, not from flavourings like with flavoured white rums like Bacardi razz/limon/whatever or malibu.

I find it interesting that with a mass market rum like malibu, the distillate itself has lots of intrinsic quality to it and if you just leave it alone to age for a couple of years and don't mess with it too much by adding all kinds of poo poo* to it you end up with a very good aged spirit that stands well on its own.

*I do suspect it has some added sugar as many rums unfortunately do.

Another example is Jameson. Jameson itself isn't all that great but the Midleton distillery where it's produced makes some rather excellent aged spirit like for example green spot and midleton very rare. All come from the same still but have gotten more time to mature in quality casks which makes a huge difference.

Butch Cassidy
Jul 28, 2010

Picked up a bottle of Mount Gay Black Barrel for my obligatory bottle of hotel room hooch. It's promising in a quick and dirty mix with grocery store ginger beer and lime. Sipped straight, seems alright. Going to have to give the rest of the bottle proper attention when I get back home.

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

Any cocktail recommendations? The bar I'm going to probably doesn't have anything fancier than Kraken or Captain Morgan. I've usually just gone for coke and rum out in public if I'm not drinking beer.

Edit: Obviously no one had any ideas :v: I'm going to Louisville, KY next week. Does anyone know of a place that sells Smith and Cross?

Admiral Joeslop fucked around with this message at 21:53 on May 21, 2016

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

I'm hosting a rum tasting tomorrow and this is the lineup I came up with:

1. Rhum JM XO ( Martinique)
2. Neisson Extra Vieux 45 ( Martinique)
3. Foursquare Port Finish (Barbados)
4. La Hechicera (Colombia)
5. Diplomatico Reserva Exclusiva (Venezuela)
6. Pusser's Navy Proof (Guyana & Trinidad blend)
7. Smith & Cross (Jamaica)
8. Millonario XO (Peru)

Thoughts on the spread? Suggestions?

It may all be a bit much so I'm considering leaving off the JM, because I really only wanted to showcase a good agricole and one of the guests is bringing the Neisson so that''s covered. (And he was a bit adamant on putting it in there).
I also might scratch the Hechicera if I really needed to cut it down to 6.

Anyway, comments are welcome. :)

e: I'm quite enjoying this JM XO right now. Agricole is an interesting style.

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Welp, this thread is dead :rip:

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

I found a bottle of Smith and Cross but I haven't had any yet. I suppose I'll try an Old Fashioned sometime.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

spankmeister posted:

Welp, this thread is dead :rip:

Kinda is, yeah. Ask in the main cocktail thread?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

silvergoose posted:

Kinda is, yeah. Ask in the main cocktail thread?

Too late anyway, we had a great evening though!

• Locked thread