Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Kro-Bar
Jul 24, 2004
USPOL May
https://twitter.com/alexcampbell/status/711877315194712065

Separated at birth?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Molybdenum
Jun 25, 2007
Melting Point ~2622C
Doh

Molybdenum fucked around with this message at 16:49 on Mar 21, 2016

bondetamp
Aug 8, 2011

Could you have been born, Richardson? And not egg-hatched as I've always assumed? Did your mother hover over you, snaggle-toothed and doting as you now hover over me?

Don't be a racist.

https://youtu.be/rywVlfTtlMY

Kro-Bar
Jul 24, 2004
USPOL May

Amazing Mitchell & Webb clip; A+ post.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Lucy Heartfilia
May 31, 2012

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

Popular Thug Drink posted:

its not that ridiculous - from the soviet cold war perspective, the shuttle makes a lot more rational sense as a stealth spaceplane bomber because what it was actually used for - a complicated, risky, not very efficient method of delivering small payloads at great cost into space - is pretty fuckin dumb. it clearly had some military applications just looking at it, and since you want to plan for the worst, like a sudden stealth strike on moscow, it gets incorporated into america's nuclear arsenal (also justifies building one of the things yourself)

http://idlewords.com/2005/08/a_rocket_to_nowhere.htm

don't miss this hilarious footnote

to be fair, NASA had genuinely deluded itself into believing that they could eventually get the shuttle to the point where it was a cheap means of delivering poo poo to orbit. even as late as ~1980 they were talking about launching more than 20 times per year by 1990.

the Russian design was actually even more useless than the American design. nearly the entire reason for those huge wings and elaborate sheath of delicate thermal tiles was to bring back the main liquid engines intact so that they could be reused again and again. but if you're sticking those engines on expendable rocket boosters that are just going to crash into the Russian steppe, then what the gently caress is the point of building that fuckoff-huge 70 ton orbiter? the Russians proved you can do space station assembly without a giant 70-ton spacecraft with a robot arm attachment, they already had working spacecraft, and if you don't lug those huge wings and payload bay around you can get even more poo poo into orbit in a single launch.

some of the listed "safety features" are also counterproductive. the jet engines are just going to eat hard into your maximum payload to orbit, and as the space shuttle program proved anyway, they were totally unnecessary. the ejection seats are probably useless during launch, since you'd probably wind up ejecting into the superhot rocket exhaust anyway, and also you wouldn't be able to have individual ejection seats for a crew of seven anyway.

that said, liquid boosters would have been nice, but even with the air force backing it the shuttle nearly didn't get funded. congress and OMB were extremely hostile to NASA in the 70s; a deputy director of OMB was quoted on at least one occasion as arguing that they should set NASA's budget to a fixed dollar amount forever and let inflation strangle the agency. the Viking and Voyager probes nearly didn't happen because Congress was paranoid it would somehow get the nation wanting a (funded) commitment to a manned Mars expedition.

same with unmanned capability. the 70s-era computers designed into the American space shuttle did not have enough memory to run an entire mission; the astronauts had to change program loads at least once during a mission. in fact, the computers couldn't even hold flight profiles for every abort mode at once; if mission control had called a trans-atlanding landing abort, the astronauts would literally have had to change programs mid-flight during whatever crisis had caused the abort in the first place.

anyway. the "satellite snatch" mission's been bandied about as a possible use for the Air Force's requirement that the Shuttle be able to do a single orbit and then return to the launch site, but it's not very practical for various reasons. my opinion is that what they were really hoping to do was to load up the payload bay with a big-rear end telescupe and the highest-resolution film they could get, do a low orbital pass over some Soviet installation with the telescupe pointed out the bay, then pull it back in and land and rush the film off for processing. in the era before digital photography, this would have made the space shuttle the ultimate spy plane.

the other, much more terrifying possibility, is that someone in the air force thought it would be nice to have the Shuttle usable as a platform for a fractional orbital bombardment system, which is basically a sneak nuclear attack by coming in from an unexpected direction.

speaking of spy satellites:

mission patch for National Reconnaissance Office satellite launch. always reminds me of this:

Jokerpilled Drudge
Jan 27, 2010

by Pragmatica
trollbama

strange times we are livin in

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

At least someone is having fun with racist shitheads on youtube:

quiggy
Aug 7, 2010

[in Russian] Oof.

double nine posted:

At least someone is having fun with racist shitheads on youtube:

Reminds me of a good friend of mine who used to wonder when her Jewish cabal perks were gonna start kicking in.

Unrelated, found this on Amazon and kind of can't believe it's real:

Volcott
Mar 30, 2010

People paying American dollars to let other people know they didn't agree with someone's position on something is the lifeblood of these forums.
Global two child policy with an incentive for sterilization after you have your second one, with scaling financial penalties for every child after that if you refuse. Exemptions for countries with sharply declining birth rates/members of threatened ethnic minorities within specific countries.

Yes, the planet can support more people if we all start living in hive cities and only consume a carefully calculated amount of resources per day, but I think most people would find that even more unpleasant than the restrictions on reproduction.

(Don't tell that rear end in a top hat who wrote Ender's Game I think he had a good idea.)

odiv
Jan 12, 2003

Given our track record with sterilization, you'll understand if I'm sceptical those in power will use it ethically even when they're ostensibly focused on "the greater good".

odiv fucked around with this message at 23:55 on Mar 21, 2016

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
That's why it has to be done by social change, not by top-down or punitive fiscal means. That's not to say that the governments can't encourage people, just that they probably shouldn't be coercing them.

Trivia
Feb 8, 2006

I'm an obtuse man,
so I'll try to be oblique.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Charge your phone.

Crowsbeak
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth
Lipstick Apathy
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cMgaqhTZBlg

Look at 2:20. Ted Cruz really was a big spaz.

Cool Bear
Sep 2, 2012

Armyman25 posted:

John Pilger made some pretty documentaries about the Vietnam war and its aftermath.

Thanks for teaching me about John Pilger. I imagine he is not famous today because watching just half of one of those movies has caused emotional harm to me. It wassn't even violent at all, the one I watched anyway, and it was a good movie that I recommend. But now I feel bad. No just kidding it didnt cause emotional harm but wow serious stuff yikes.

It doesn't have to be this way, all we have to do is not be a conservative. It really is that easy, we can end all wars forever. Just no more conservatives. Hate your ancestors and everything that made them proud. End all pride.

Cool Bear fucked around with this message at 06:41 on Mar 22, 2016

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

I was under direct orders not to die
🐵❌💀

double nine posted:

Also GOD drat SOMEONE DO SOME CABLE MANAGEMENT PLZ

Clearly you've never been to Thailand.

The Sausages
Sep 30, 2012

What do you want to do? Who do you want to be?

Guavanaut posted:

Sub-replacement birth rates are a good thing. I'd hope that if we can work together to improve the developing world (or at least not constantly dick them over) then they will also get sub-replacement birth rates, so I don't see it as being mutually exclusive with feeding the world.

Trying to reduce population by war or famine is a pretty terrible idea though, I think we can agree on that. It's not only terrible and inhumane, it plain doesn't work in the long term.

"... if every women were to bear only one natural child the population of the Earth would fall by fifty percent in about forty years without war, epidemic disease or forced migration..."

"A woman on the Upper East Side of New York, or in Malibu who has a child, that child will have between eight hundred and a thousand times more negative impact on the environment of the Earth, than a child born to a woman in Bangladesh. Where do we preach birth control? Bangladesh." - Terence McKenna

:catdrugs: for all! On the other hand,

TenementFunster
Feb 20, 2003

The Cooler King
comparativeratesofchildmortalityandfoodinsecurityinmalibuandbangladesh.jpg

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

shrike82
Jun 11, 2005

The Sausages posted:

"A woman on the Upper East Side of New York, or in Malibu who has a child, that child will have between eight hundred and a thousand times more negative impact on the environment of the Earth, than a child born to a woman in Bangladesh. Where do we preach birth control? Bangladesh." - Terence McKenna

lmbo

quote:

- Now, to Terence McKenna. Terence McKenna has become legendary for his investigations into psychedelic mushrooms, virtual reality, U.F.O.s, evolution, the rebirth of the goddess and the end of history. His numerous books include the recent Archaic Revival and Food of the Gods: The Search for the Original Tree of Knowledge and trialougues with Rupert Sheldrake and Ralph Abraham. Terence McKenna is a scholar and brilliant inter-dimensional adventurer with an understanding of nature from the depths of the Amazon to the most current scientific breakthroughs. He is a shamanologist who traverses the worlds of the psyche and the spirit, bringing back startling visions of the revelatory nature of existence. Simply put, he takes enormous chances, breaks all the rules and brings back pearls. Please welcome Terence McKenna: Imagination in the Light of Nature. [applause]

DXH
Dec 8, 2003

Ne Cede Malis

Interestingly enough, when I worked at Disney World most of the "real" Minnies and Mickeys were also performed by petite Asian women.

HUGE PUBES A PLUS
Apr 30, 2005

https://www.etsy.com/nl/listing/266075284/new-german-stick-grenade-in-belgian-milk?ref=shop_home_active_1

Gin and Juche
Apr 3, 2008

The Highest Judge of Paradise
Shiki Eiki
YAMAXANADU

Looks like it'd be good for making some guacamole.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Volcott
Mar 30, 2010

People paying American dollars to let other people know they didn't agree with someone's position on something is the lifeblood of these forums.

Gravel Gravy posted:

Looks like it'd be good for making some guacamole.

Beelzebufo
Mar 5, 2015

Frog puns are toadally awesome

I'm fine with human extinction but only if we make sure to take the rest of the biosphere with us. The last human can kill himself after crushing the last flower. Maybe blast everything with radiation too, to kill off all the microorganisms.

ZenVulgarity
Oct 9, 2012

I made the hat by transforming my zen

Taeke
Feb 2, 2010

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Wasted :rip:

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!

Unrelated (to Rob Ford anyway)

Armyman25
Sep 6, 2005

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde

Sedge and Bee posted:

I'm fine with human extinction but only if we make sure to take the rest of the biosphere with us. The last human can kill himself after crushing the last flower. Maybe blast everything with radiation too, to kill off all the microorganisms.

there's no way china is that low

Crowsbeak
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth
Lipstick Apathy

800peepee51doodoo
Mar 1, 2001

Volute the swarth, trawl betwixt phonotic
Scoff the festune

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

there's no way china is that low

That map is almost certainly weighted more heavily toward North America and Australia simply because European colonists were actively cataloging species and noticed when they went extinct. Also, its hard to tell from the source with out digging a bit, but it looks like a lot of the species lost in the US were endemic to Hawaii. Islands are very sensitive to invasive species. Guaranteed that China has lost tons of endemic species over the last 500 years, far more than that map shows.

Volcott posted:

Global two child policy with an incentive for sterilization after you have your second one, with scaling financial penalties for every child after that if you refuse. Exemptions for countries with sharply declining birth rates/members of threatened ethnic minorities within specific countries.

Yeah this is a terrible idea. The most effective method to reduce population is to empower women with access to education, economic opportunities, and healthcare. It turns out most women in the world don't actually want to be homebound baby factories while their husbands drink away all of their money. Higher rates of education among women correlates strongly with lower birthrates. Lower birthrates correlate to lower rates of poverty as well. Dismantle patriarchy - its good for women, its good for the planet and its good for the economy!

Also, loving lol at all of the disingenuous concern trolling. Yes, environmentalists are racists who want to kill all humans, because that makes sense. I'm sure no environmental group has ever criticized the out of control consumption of the 3rd most populated country on earth, nosiree.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

800peepee51doodoo posted:

Also, loving lol at all of the disingenuous concern trolling. Yes, environmentalists are racists who want to kill all humans, because that makes sense. I'm sure no environmental group has ever criticized the out of control consumption of the 3rd most populated country on earth, nosiree.
It's doubly hilarious because while Iran and China (among others) were actually devoting academic and political effort to studying the population bomb, certain bad countries were yelling "Have one for mum, one for dad, and one for the country otherwise the fuckin lebbos ull outnumber us, White 'Straya mate!" Certain countries that don't look good on those maps about energy consumption either.

But no, people countering natalism and its associated ills are only talking about 'those people' apparently.

sugar free jazz
Mar 5, 2008

Y'see I would advocate for less consumption rather than less people but I really like ribeye and i hate walking and making changes in my own life is hard, so yea vOv

i'd eat the gently caress outa that ^^

citybeatnik
Mar 1, 2013

You Are All
WEIRDOS

Or we can stop going "wah wah no more kids wah", SCIENCE!!! the gently caress out of the crops we have now, and concentrate on getting off this dirt ball and going elsewhere.

But, you know, keep on rocking the psuedo-eugenics theory. It doesn't reek of "gently caress you got mine" in the slightest. Same thing with the push that we should be eating mealworms and crickets as opposed to steak, or that micro-apartment "trend" that totally has nothing to do with landlords trying to squeeze more out of people for less space.

MizPiz
May 29, 2013

by Athanatos
LOL at people saying there isn't enough food when we basically throw away half the global supply each year.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

MizPiz posted:

LOL at people saying there isn't enough food when we basically throw away half the global supply each year.

Natalist propaganda!

SilkyP
Jul 21, 2004

The Boo-Box

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KazigluBey
Oct 30, 2011

boner

• Locked thread