Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

This game needs a Rock type that uses stealth rock traps and bolsters its defense as its strategy as a Technical character. Probopass would be perfect for this, and has the benefit of being really cool.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

boy are my arms tired
May 10, 2012

Ham Wrangler
I'll be recording and putting together some videos based on friendly games if anyone wants to assist with that later today (probably in 4ish hours?), come to the discord

also i'm gonna be honest, i forgot all about stances, so that shofu video is really, really cool and explains why a lot of my more recent games went south (eg trying to low counter an overhead from Emalde's stupid dumb smelly weavile)

SilverSupernova
Feb 1, 2013

mabels big day posted:

Probopass... has the benefit of being really cool.

You and I seem to have wildly different definitions of the word "cool."

Also I don't care about anything else, I just want to see Smeargle added as a fighter throwing out some wildly improbably abilities.

dorkasaurus_rex
Jun 10, 2005

gawrsh do you think any women will be there

Is there any kind of a sense of a tier list in this game yet? I'm working through story mode after settling on Machamp , who i seem to jive with, but I wonder if he gets walled out really hard against zoning characters played by real people.

That being said, gently caress, Machamp can push poo poo in up close

boy are my arms tired
May 10, 2012

Ham Wrangler

dorkasaurus_rex posted:

Is there any kind of a sense of a tier list in this game yet? I'm working through story mode after settling on Machamp , who i seem to jive with, but I wonder if he gets walled out really hard against zoning characters played by real people.

That being said, gently caress, Machamp can push poo poo in up close

It's somewhat balanced; arguably the best characters include Chandelure, Lucario and Pikachu (Chandelure is king of the fireballs and has excellent punishes at range, i.e. hex / Lucario is an all-around duelist with good poke and excellent combos including an extremely punish-heavy game / Pikachu is strong at all ranges in all phases; he doesn't excel at any of them but he's solid, basically the "ryu" of the game)

Machamp is strong for different reasons; he does get zoned pretty heavy, but if the zoner makes a single mistake and Machamp gets in, Bulk-up anything destroys them; I think BU Cross Chop does 200+ damage? It comes out incredibly quick, the start-up for Bulk Up is very short and Cross Chop is almost immediate as well.

A good support mon to take with Machamp is Whimsicott, because you get immunity to ranged attacks allowing you to rush in.

e: Electrode is good too, its more general purpose but it does affect ranged attacks; you just need to be closer to the opponent then you think, because Explosion only travels so far

boy are my arms tired fucked around with this message at 15:02 on Mar 22, 2016

Calihan
Jan 6, 2008
One thing I am seeing a lot and cannot figure out is when I am going to grab an enemy then having a red shield effect come up around them and shrugging it off somehow. It isn't the Attack Triangle (they are not attacking) and it isn't a stance thing either (I've seen enemies like Pikachu and Weavile do it). I don't get hit for it but they shrug off the grab and the fight continues. It's like there is some sort of grab counter not covered in the tutorial or something.

Can anyone explain it? I haven't found an answer myself and enemies in Iron League seem to be able to pull it off annoyingly often.

Nierbo
Dec 5, 2010

sup brah?

Gaffle posted:

Character-wise, just mewtwo and shadow mewtwo, but you can earn coins by playing and spend them on a bunch of stuff to customize your player avatar too

lol
sounds amaaaaaazing

boy are my arms tired
May 10, 2012

Ham Wrangler

Calihan posted:

One thing I am seeing a lot and cannot figure out is when I am going to grab an enemy then having a red shield effect come up around them and shrugging it off somehow. It isn't the Attack Triangle (they are not attacking) and it isn't a stance thing either (I've seen enemies like Pikachu and Weavile do it). I don't get hit for it but they shrug off the grab and the fight continues. It's like there is some sort of grab counter not covered in the tutorial or something.

Can anyone explain it? I haven't found an answer myself and enemies in Iron League seem to be able to pull it off annoyingly often.

i...think thats when you two are grabbing each other; it cancels each other out. its not exactly like tech throws in other games, but i've had it happen repeatedly as well, it might be frame-perfect or near it

e: i could be wrong though, idunno, i have grabbed someone grabbing me and either won or lost the grab because i was either early or late

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

Having a true flying type Bird Pokemon like Pidgeot or Braviary would be awesome too.

Oxygen Deficiency
May 19, 2008

just a heads up to other new people: do the character-specific training mode and combo-dojo asap

i had no idea that pikachu libre had an air dodge AND a follow-up from said air dodge

i have yet to face a Braixen player in any form, not in single player or online. weird. she looks fun.

boy are my arms tired
May 10, 2012

Ham Wrangler

Oxygen Deficiency posted:

i have yet to face a Braixen player in any form, not in single player or online. weird. she looks fun.

theres a ton in ranked, at least for me

psyfirecracker is a very, very deceptive and annoying move because it looks like its not gonna reach and then it does

Inflammatory
Apr 22, 2014

once you do, you'll wish you hadn't. she's a huge pain in the rear end to fight.

Ventana
Mar 28, 2010

*Yosh intensifies*

Rafza posted:

i...think thats when you two are grabbing each other; it cancels each other out. its not exactly like tech throws in other games, but i've had it happen repeatedly as well, it might be frame-perfect or near it

e: i could be wrong though, idunno, i have grabbed someone grabbing me and either won or lost the grab because i was either early or late

I tried throw teching a bunch when I played this at locals when I knew the other guy was gonna throw me, and it seemed like throw teching wasn't a thing. Or at least, the time you had was ridiculously shorter than normal Fighting Game tech times, which wouldn't make sense.

I've seen something like this before, but I always figured that maybe the opponent just did some attack that whiffed. The attack dodges the throw which is why the red barrier comes up, but because the attack whiffs you don't see anything happen. Honestly, it's hard to say since when it does happen, the red barrier almost completely covers the opponent so it's hard to see what exactly is going on.

I'm currently playing Braixen, she is pretty cool and fun, yeah.

boy are my arms tired
May 10, 2012

Ham Wrangler

Ventana posted:

I tried throw teching a bunch when I played this at locals when I knew the other guy was gonna throw me, and it seemed like throw teching wasn't a thing. Or at least, the time you had was ridiculously shorter than normal Fighting Game tech times, which wouldn't make sense.

I've seen something like this before, but I always figured that maybe the opponent just did some attack that whiffed. The attack dodges the throw which is why the red barrier comes up, but because the attack whiffs you don't see anything happen. Honestly, it's hard to say since when it does happen, the red barrier almost completely covers the opponent so it's hard to see what exactly is going on.

yeah idunno, might need to ask shofu or someone who's been following the game longer

when i get home i'll start trying to recreate it in training mode

Ventana
Mar 28, 2010

*Yosh intensifies*
Probably the weirdest thing to me about it is, if it WAS a throw tech...wouldn't it be a green aura? That would make the most sense, since the game likes to use Green for throws, Blue for Counter attacks, Red for attacks, so you'd think something related to throws would also be green.

Fix
Jul 26, 2005

NEWT THE MOON

That stances video posted earlier shows it. The red aura is from the built in resistance to a particular type of move based on stance. Charizard's high guard stance is a block of this type.

White Light
Dec 19, 2012

SilverSupernova posted:

You and I seem to have wildly different definitions of the word "cool."

No kidding. Why anyone would want to watch the Ron Jeremy of pokemon waggling around his useless stony appendages is beyond me

Rose Spirit
Nov 4, 2010

:33 < APEX PURREDATOR
I have literally never played a fighting game except some button mashing in Soul Caliber 4 and years of having no idea what I'm doing in Smash, but I picked up Pokken the other day and have been kicking the CPU's butt with Suicune (which I'm assuming is not hard at all). Shadow Mewtwo pushed my poo poo in though, and I'm kinda afraid to go online. What if my beautiful sparkledog gets hurt?? :ohdear:

boy are my arms tired
May 10, 2012

Ham Wrangler

Rose Spirit posted:

I have literally never played a fighting game except some button mashing in Soul Caliber 4 and years of having no idea what I'm doing in Smash, but I picked up Pokken the other day and have been kicking the CPU's butt with Suicune (which I'm assuming is not hard at all). Shadow Mewtwo pushed my poo poo in though, and I'm kinda afraid to go online. What if my beautiful sparkledog gets hurt?? :ohdear:

heres how to play suicune online, based on my matches against it

spam ranged garbage in field mode
spam ranged garbage in duel mode, if they get close hit them with your antiair and juggle them infinitely until it switches to field
go to step 1

congratulations you win!!!! but if you dont win, you weren't spamming ranged garbage enough

im sure there's actual suicune advice somewhere but i definitely do not play it

The Kingfish
Oct 21, 2015

mabels big day posted:

Having a true flying type Bird Pokemon like Pidgeot or Braviary would be awesome too.

Hawlucha

everythingWasBees
Jan 9, 2013

So I keep on hearing people describing S.Mewtwo as a glass cannon, but I've not really heard much about the cannon bit of that, just how he can't take a hit. What are his strengths? He looks like a really cool character so I'm rather interested.

Inflammatory
Apr 22, 2014
i haven't looked too hard at him but he's a technical type so he probably has low hp, and i could swear that when i fight him online he actually spends hp when using some of his moves.

also his burst hits the entire field or close to it.

Emalde
May 3, 2007

Just a cage of bones, there's nothing inside.

everythingWasBees posted:

So I keep on hearing people describing S.Mewtwo as a glass cannon, but I've not really heard much about the cannon bit of that, just how he can't take a hit. What are his strengths? He looks like a really cool character so I'm rather interested.

He is an insane projectile character, virtually filling the entire arena perpetually with bullshit (which he can remote control and redirect almost at whim for free), and has a lot of the same "gently caress off this isn't even fair" counter properties regular Mewtwo has. His burst is also completely full screen and even picks up out of the air a bit (just high enough to catch levitating chand/geng)

Inflammatory
Apr 22, 2014
speaking of bursts, can you break through gengar's burst with a normal attack, since it's considered a grab? or do you just have to start jumping around like a crazy person every time he pops synergy?

boy are my arms tired
May 10, 2012

Ham Wrangler

Inflammatory posted:

speaking of bursts, can you break through gengar's burst with a normal attack, since it's considered a grab? or do you just have to start jumping around like a crazy person every time he pops synergy?

if a burst is active already (tested with chand and blaziken, at least, not sure about others) if gengar's attempt to burst in response, they will lose the trade

i do not know if you can just punch him, i think bursts get some armor/iframes on startup...but i've been knocked out of burst a lot so idk

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

The GIG posted:

Everyone remembers it because it was funny and memorable and the company themselves produce plush toys and other stuff based on it.

Well I think it looks bad and everyone should feel bad for liking it.

Hot ditto takes.

Kantesu
Apr 21, 2010

Inflammatory posted:

I just watched a video where a dude jumped after the startup animation of the burst, and got out of it, so...

tap my mountain
Jan 1, 2009

I'm the quick and the deadly
Anybody else running into a bunch of Braixen players with lag switches in ranked mode? There will be a heavy amount of lag at the beginning of the match while they spam projectiles, then after about 30 seconds the latency will be normal, then between rounds imagine they press the switch again cause it'll be extremely laggy at the beginning of the next round.

Chandalure, Braixen, and Gardivoire all feel fair to fight as Machamp, but gently caress s
Suicunes that only spam two attacks.

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

people keep asking for this and i think hawlucha's overrated and pikachu libre turned out better than hawlucha could have with the same gimmick.

Dosvidanya
May 28, 2004

I don't advertise for free ;-*

Broseph Brostar posted:

Anybody else running into a bunch of Braixen players with lag switches in ranked mode? There will be a heavy amount of lag at the beginning of the match while they spam projectiles, then after about 30 seconds the latency will be normal, then between rounds imagine they press the switch again cause it'll be extremely laggy at the beginning of the next round.

Chandalure, Braixen, and Gardivoire all feel fair to fight as Machamp, but gently caress s
Suicunes that only spam two attacks.

I'm noticing it a lot with braixens online too. I figured it was part of their gameplan.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

So shadow Mewtwo has a infinite.

Backwards Y then enhance it with Miracle Eye repeat. If they're blocking they can't lower their shield anymore and they're just stuck eating it forever. That's literally it. It drains you to 1hp as well but due to how the game works on %'s instead of exact numbers it'll always give him the win away.

boy are my arms tired
May 10, 2012

Ham Wrangler

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

So shadow Mewtwo has a infinite.

Backwards Y then enhance it with Miracle Eye repeat. If they're blocking they can't lower their shield anymore and they're just stuck eating it forever. That's literally it. It drains you to 1hp as well but due to how the game works on %'s instead of exact numbers it'll always give him the win away.

does it not knock you out of duel phase even on shield hit?

if not that's...annoying

Dosvidanya
May 28, 2004

I don't advertise for free ;-*
The infinite is in field phase by the looks of it

boy are my arms tired
May 10, 2012

Ham Wrangler

Dosvidanya posted:

The infinite is in field phase by the looks of it

ahhhhhhhhhhhahahahahaha gently caress

net cafe scandal
Mar 18, 2011

mabels big day posted:

people keep asking for this and i think hawlucha's overrated and pikachu libre turned out better than hawlucha could have with the same gimmick.

Pikachu Libre is an insult.

SilverSupernova
Feb 1, 2013

mabels big day posted:

Of course the person who thinks Probopass is cool would say something like this.

Shadow Ninja 64
May 21, 2007

"I stood there, wondering why the puck was getting bigger...

and then it hit me."

It's funny to me that the mascot char(s) of Pikachu and Libre have some of the toughest combos in this entire game in terms of timing. Here's one I was playing with with normal Pikachu just now:

f+Y (hold Y), release Y, YX, d+Y cancel d+A [171 damage]

For the full effect, the f+Y has to be the blue version you get from pressing forward and Y on the same frame. The X press in the YX string also has to be timed properly for the powered up version, otherwise the combo drops there. Also this only does 9 more damage than the dojo combo of f+Y, f+Y, d+X, d+A, assuming you get the blue version of both f+Y in that one. It's probably worth knowing it exists though because the release Y sends the opponent over and behind you, allowing Pikachu to have an option that might lead to a wallsplat behind him.

tap my mountain
Jan 1, 2009

I'm the quick and the deadly

SilverSupernova posted:

Of course the person who thinks Probopass is cool would say something like this.

Probopass is cool tho

I used to wish we had hawlucha instead of libre, but the first time my Machamp got stone cold stunnered by a pikachu an eighth its size my heart was swayed.

If they do dlc I wanna see Golurk and Krookodile

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
can't fuckin believe the probopass hate itt. if you can say with a straight face that you don't want to see this-

-animated in 3D pulling off sick combos, you are basically No Fun

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rich Uncle Chet
Jan 20, 2005

The Law? Law is a Human Institution.

Pokemon That are cool that should be in Pokken:

Hawlucha
Marowak
Greninja
Hitmonchan
Hitmonlee