Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

MrMoo posted:

Why is this still a thing:

Microsoft doesn't do multiuser platforms, ok?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

MrMoo posted:

Why is this still a thing:

Is that OWA 2010?

BOOTY-ADE
Aug 30, 2006

BIG KOOL TELLIN' Y'ALL TO KEEP IT TIGHT

Bob Morales posted:

70 year old controller is 'not getting' the new ERP system that we are training people on and taking the smaller companies live with.

"Maybe we need to re-think this" -> Boss Dude

Maybe we need to tell her to loving retire. If she doesn't want to LEARN FANCY NEW COMPUTERS maybe we should re-think who our controller is. She drives to the bank at lunch and writes journal entries in by hand into a binder like it's 1962

I hate people like this with a burning passion - if only because "not getting" means "I could use the new system but choose not to because <reason>" wherein <reason> usually means either:

- Quicker processing, making the idiot fear they'll lose their job when someone sees how little they do;
- Something takes maybe an extra 30-60 seconds or 2-3 more steps than before; or
- (in Bob's case) Someone doesn't actually want to learn how to do something new because they're stubborn and set in their ways

In any case, some old tech-illiterate grandma needs to either do her job or get punted to the curb. I'm sure you could hire some early 20s person to come in and do the old gray-hair's job for less money on top of getting someone willing to learn and grow.

Sheep
Jul 24, 2003

Ozz81 posted:

"not getting" means "I could use the new system but choose not to because <reason>" wherein <reason> usually means either:
- Something takes maybe an extra 30-60 seconds or 2-3 more steps than before; or

I suggested a workaround solution to a dumb problem we were having with email a couple of weeks ago that involved exactly one extra drag-and-drop step when attaching files to email, and you'd have thought I told everyone we were making it company policy that all staff members' firstborn children be sacrificed on a pyre of dildos from the responses I received.

Sheep fucked around with this message at 22:36 on Mar 21, 2016

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.
I don't know why people get away with this learned helplessness poo poo when it comes to computers. If you're refusing to do your job using the equipment provided because you don't want to/can't learn, why do you have that job at all?

Judge Schnoopy
Nov 2, 2005

dont even TRY it, pal

skooma512 posted:

I don't know why people get away with this learned helplessness poo poo when it comes to computers. If you're refusing to do your job using the equipment provided because you don't want to/can't learn, why do you have that job at all?

Legacy. Turns out it's really hard to fire a 20 year employee because IT wanted to install new software that proved 'difficult to learn', regardless of how easy it actually is.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

skooma512 posted:

Not just that, but have you ever brought this up with somebody who doesn't work in IT? They'll defend it.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Judge Schnoopy posted:

Legacy. Turns out it's really hard to fire a 20 year employee because IT wanted to install new software that proved 'difficult to learn', regardless of how easy it actually is.

Plus ageism is a thing these days, and if some angry boss is all "we gotta fire him because can't/won't learn anything new" well then mr. old fart has ammunition for a lawsuit.

It works both ways too, there's a lot of "this wet behind the ears kid keeps loving up because he's learning as he goes, punt him to the kerb" out there.

Basically they gotta be cautious and follow some procedure (presumably cleared by the legal department) to avoid problems down the line.. build a paper trail to document that they can't perform their assigned duties, violation of office rules, stuff like that.

Arsten
Feb 18, 2003

skooma512 posted:

That's not the half of it. I constantly hear that someone performing their duties shouldn't be using a computer, because using a computer is "Wasting Time." Once, someone told me, no joke, that taking "14 clicks" to create a CRM document is "outrageous" and "impossible for our sales people to learn."

And then the same person complains in the next meeting that the hourly people don't have their time in the next day when they are 300 miles from an office and faxing dailies in via some roach motel's 1952 land line. "Why can't we get our payroll in instantly?" If you advise that we could give them a smart phone that they could then use to go to a website where they could login and fill out their time card online, it's immediately refused on the grounds that "Our people need to be working! I don't want them playing angry birds when they should be <job function here>ing."

Technology is like 1980's sitcom crack. Give someone a taste and they will abandon their livelihoods, pay checks, and even their families for it.

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

All ice cream is now for all beings, no matter how many legs.

Arsten posted:

"Our people need to be working! I don't want them playing angry birds when they should be <job function here>ing."

They can do that on their own phones! If you provide the phones you can actually lock them down and keep track of what they are doing.

Arsten
Feb 18, 2003

pixaal posted:

They can do that on their own phones! If you provide the phones you can actually lock them down and keep track of what they are doing.

Psh. Logic. There's no place for that in business. Next you'll tell me leadership is useful and not just a Japanese prank to screw American businesses. :downs:

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

AS/400 guy was on the phone with our current ERP vendor trying to figure out why it allows people to enter duplicate PO #'s until you restart it...

Anyway, he got all quiet and you could hear him giving the other person on the phone his personal email address (AOL, baby) and then he said "thank you for the opportunity".

I'm guess he's either A) applying for a job with them (they are an 8 hour drive away and he would never leave his home), even though I don't think they'd actually hire him, or B) they are letting him come to their user conference for free this year. He's gone for the last like 10 years and he's buddy-buddy with them.

That'd actually be awesome if they took him off our hands or he got smart and just wanted to consult part time for their customers. We get rid of him guilt-free and it'd be rough for a few weeks but we just accelerate the move to the new ERP system!

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009
poo poo that pisses me off: People who don't understand marginal tax brackets.

FFS, you passed 6th grade right? HOW ARE PERCENTAGES LOST ON YOU? YOU ARE OVER 40! AGGGGHHHHHH.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

ratbert90 posted:

poo poo that pisses me off: People who don't understand marginal tax brackets.

FFS, you passed 6th grade right? HOW ARE PERCENTAGES LOST ON YOU? YOU ARE OVER 40! AGGGGHHHHHH.

In fairness, they probably grok percentages but don't get the "only my income above X is taxed at Y% rate" concept. That's where the myth of "oh I can't get a raise because I'll make less money!" proliferates from.

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

Kyrosiris posted:

In fairness, they probably grok percentages but don't get the "only my income above X is taxed at Y% rate" concept. That's where the myth of "oh I can't get a raise because I'll make less money!" proliferates from.

That and lovely employers who don't want to give raises. "Oh, you don't want me to give you a raise! You will make less if I do!"

And it may reflect in smaller paychecks, since quite a few companies apply the highest tax rate to the whole check when they do payroll, and no one realizes you can reclaim that money at tax time.

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009
To be fair, public schools really should teach taxes way WAY better. It's sad they dont.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Public schools should teach everything WAY better.

Everyone's all for it, until it comes time to pay the bill.

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.

ratbert90 posted:

To be fair, public schools really should teach taxes way WAY better. It's sad they dont.

My "Life Skills" class in high school was mostly about drugs (wasn't that what health was for?). We did watch "Don't Be A Menace To South Central" in it though :eng99:.

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

ratbert90 posted:

When I was in high school, we had to learn how to put together and manage stock portfolios, understand and debate some pretty high level governmental concepts, and read some of the great classics of literature(and we watched the Moonlighting version of The Taming of the Shrew :kimchi:)

We never did learn how to do our taxes tho.

IAmKale
Jun 7, 2007

やらないか

Fun Shoe

Kyrosiris posted:

So I get the whole "above X taxed at Y rate" thing, but what about raises in your social security and medicare obligations? Are they also taxed in tiers like income tax? No one ever seems to cover that stuff when it comes to paying additional taxes on a higher income, so I'm not really sure how it would play out :shobon:

Khisanth Magus
Mar 31, 2011

Vae Victus

IAmKale posted:

So I get the whole "above X taxed at Y rate" thing, but what about raises in your social security and medicare obligations? Are they also taxed in tiers like income tax? No one ever seems to cover that stuff when it comes to paying additional taxes on a higher income, so I'm not really sure how it would play out :shobon:

Social security and medicaire withholdings are not marginal, social security withholdings is 12.4%(6.2% from employee, 6.2% from employer), and medicare is 2.9%(again evenly split).

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

Since we're on tax chat, apparently my employer failed to do some tax payments when the company went through restructuring last year so now I owe €1200 in unpaid taxes instead of getting a €1000 tax return as I was expecting. :argh:

Gounads
Mar 13, 2013

Where am I?
How did I get here?
In fact at a point, Social Security taxes are reverse-marginal (reverse progressive?) since there's a cap on the amount you have to pay. I don't know exactly what it is, but it's something like after $115k SS tax goes away.

Khisanth Magus
Mar 31, 2011

Vae Victus

Collateral Damage posted:

Since we're on tax chat, apparently my employer failed to do some tax payments when the company went through restructuring last year so now I owe €1200 in unpaid taxes instead of getting a €1000 tax return as I was expecting. :argh:

Yeah, I got hit last year with the whole "Someone didn't pay the taxes they were supposed to, now I owe the government a couple grand" thing. It is really bullshit.

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

If your employer fucks you on taxes, you can fight it and force them to pay it all. A friend of mine got screwed to the tune of 5 grand or something, since he was W2 but his employer NEVER did tax withholdings. When the IRS came looking for him, he showed his W2 paperwork, and his paystubs showing no withholdings, and IRS just made the employer pay all of the taxes.

I don't think he even got to the point of lawyering up, he just let the IRS know what was happening and they went after the company for their moneys.

Arsten
Feb 18, 2003

Collateral Damage posted:

Khisanth Magus posted:

Yeah, I got hit last year with the whole "Someone didn't pay the taxes they were supposed to, now I owe the government a couple grand" thing. It is really bullshit.

You only have to pay if it wasn't withheld from your check. If it was your company's share of taxes, or if they withheld the proper amount but did not pay that withholding to the government, it is on your company and not you. I cannot stress enough how important it is to look at what was actually withheld from your paychecks and what your W2 reports when the government comes after you for taxes due in these situations.

The government just wants its' money and, like those ethically-challenged bill collectors that attempt to collect on the deceased via their grieving relatives, they don't care who they get the money from. Do not quietly pay unless you actually owe those taxes, even if the government says you do.

CSB: I was assessed an underpayment three years ago because a company I worked for did not file their accounts correctly. The assessment was over $2,500. Using a tax-specializing accountant(~$400 for her time) I got out from under that by writing a letter and providing my last paycheck and the W2 paperwork within the letter.

Arsten fucked around with this message at 16:59 on Mar 22, 2016

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

skooma512 posted:

My "Life Skills" class in high school was mostly about drugs (wasn't that what health was for?). We did watch "Don't Be A Menace To South Central" in it though :eng99:.

Life skills isn't a thing any more. It was gone well before I graduated in 06. That is the job of the parents not the school, they can't afford valuable teaching time on that stuff! My health class was actually pretty reasonable on the drug / sex thing but I don't think most states are up to Massachusetts standards in that regard. Really think my classmates could have benefited from life skills. I've seen a few working poo poo jobs and barely afford to be able to pay for anything close to going broke because credit cards are hard.

If the problem is not enough is taught teach critical thinking and general computer skills in the class too. Maybe co-worker interaction recommendations as well. You know make them valuable office employees.

pixaal fucked around with this message at 17:36 on Mar 22, 2016

Judge Schnoopy
Nov 2, 2005

dont even TRY it, pal
Pissing me off is my system admin. We got a replacement NAS backup device will plenty of spinning disks. Him and I were racking it today.

It starts sliding in, everything is great, but then one side gets stuck. I start taking a look to see what's catching, but admin had a better idea; he backs it out a little bit, then tries slamming it through. Doesn't work! So he does it again. And again. And again. And each time he does he looks at the side, like he's using sonar from the clanking noise to determine where it's getting stuck.

:ohdear: "We have extra rails right here, we should just use the new rails instead of reusing the old rails!"

clank, clank, clank

:ohdear: "Lets back it out of there and take a look at the rails to make sure nothing is bent or broken!"

clank, clank, clank

:ohdear: "I really don't think slamming this thing in is a good idea because of the disks, we should try literally anything else!"

clank - :argh: "There's something wrong here. Get me a flathead screwdriver so I can try to bend the rails out and see if that helps"

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

To be fair, I've racked a few thousand machines in my day and sometimes a good bang and a shove is what works. It's very rare to get rails mounted perfectly level and machines tend to rub against each other a lot.

Though I tend to be aware of the signs that something's wrong.. if it's a hard stop or you feel something flexing, that's a good sign you done hosed up.

It doesn't help that rails are always complete poo poo. They change the design with the seasons so the chances of getting the same type between purchases is super small, so you're always re-learning how to rack stuff.

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

Judge Schnoopy posted:

:ohdear: "I really don't think slamming this thing in is a good idea because of the disks, we should try literally anything else!"

Partly due to weight, but I've always been told to take all disks out before mounting something with more than 4 drives.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

pixaal posted:

Partly due to weight, but I've always been told to take all disks out before mounting something with more then 4 drives.

Yes, it's a pretty good idea once you get over 10 drives. That weight adds up fast.

Though I have moved 24 bay servers with a buddy, it's not fun. Once you get into the 40+ bay territory you have to take the drives out to avoid the rails failing. :v:

Judge Schnoopy
Nov 2, 2005

dont even TRY it, pal

pixaal posted:

Partly due to weight, but I've always been told to take all disks out before mounting something with more than 4 drives.

Probably a good idea, but this thing was already configured and was holding our current backups previous to the installation. Mix one drive up and we would have broken the array.

If I was racking alone I 100% agree but with two people there weight isn't really an issue.

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

Judge Schnoopy posted:

Probably a good idea, but this thing was already configured and was holding our current backups previous to the installation. Mix one drive up and we would have broken the array.

If I was racking alone I 100% agree but with two people there weight isn't really an issue.

So... Mark the drives?

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

Judge Schnoopy posted:

That's what labels are for. Slap a number on them, might as well date it too. Every server room should have either a label maker or some labels you can hand write on to quickly add a note to a piece of equipment.

Also label if the bays if they aren't. So you don't have to remember if you when left to right top to bottom or top to bottom left to right.

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD
Labels can be removed, better to stamp the numbers directly into the drives!

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

I've always just seen postit notes used, and numbers the same way the bays are numbered :shrug:

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

RFC2324 posted:

I've always just seen postit notes used, and numbers the same way the bays are numbered :shrug:

Even if you are doing it on the spot the postits are going to fall off. I've seen too many "place this down here" and suddenly nothing is labeled.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

As long as all the drives in the unit are on the same controller, which bay they get inserted to isn't relevant. Well, as long as the controller saves unit information on the drives and can rebuild the config from that.

Though I still try to keep the ordering the same, mostly to appease the IT gods and prove that I am detail oriented.

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

A coworker just threw a paper airplane out of the window. :cripes:

Fake edit: He's now discussing how to build a better one with another coworker. kill me

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Naramyth
Jan 22, 2009

Australia cares about cunts. Including this one.

HardDisk posted:

A coworker just threw a paper airplane out of the window. :cripes:

Fake edit: He's now discussing how to build a better one with another coworker. kill me

My new office doesn't have windows that open or a in office coworker to talk paper airplane optimization with. :(