Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mygna
Sep 12, 2011

Serious Frolicking posted:

Their primary business was in providing bodies to order, with higher cultivation bodies costing more. There was never any mention of cultivators serving as zombie puppets, even temporarily. They would kill people to use their corpses as puppets, yeah. But those corpses that gained sentience were essentially copies of their master, and had nothing to do with the original owner of the body. People in that setting could just inhabit any dead body without any special efforts. Even the mc did so, though he spent some time as a death cloud first.

Rereading the chapters in question, I'm not too sure any more. Though, the sect is literally called a meat farm for a specific high-rank devil sect, and there is mention of souls of deceased cultivators from said sect secretly being fused with corpse puppets, some of which we later witness being allowed to rip apart and absorb their nominal controllers to restore themselves.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cynic Jester
Apr 11, 2009

Let's put a simile on that face
A dazzling simile
Twinkling like the night sky
I was durdling around on Royal Road reading awful VR stories because I don't have anything better to do, and while some are decent reads, others are just awful in so many ways. Todays highlight is a story written in English butchering Japanese honorifics. Principal-sensei and Teacher-sensei all up ins. It is amazing in its badness.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
Goddamn, Meng Hao is going to use tribulation lightning to form a seventh nascent soul. He has progressed to stealing from the heavens to make himself stronger.

Pharohman777
Jan 14, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
Hey, what was that light novel about a guy having to exploit tons of glitches to survive after he is trapped in an mmo or something?

organism
Sep 30, 2005
organism

Pharohman777 posted:

Hey, what was that light novel about a guy having to exploit tons of glitches to survive after he is trapped in an mmo or something?

Sekai Game

Deadly Ham Sandwich
Aug 19, 2009
Smellrose
I don't understand the fascination with being stuck in a video game like world. You can just play a video game. There are dozens of them. Dozens!

Let's just change this into the ISSTH and MDDYA appreciation thread. Say it together with me, Have Faith in ISSTH and MDDYA, and gain eternal life! When Meng Hoa and stupid disciple show up, who dares cause strife?

I can't really think of many other stories that were entertaining and not absurdly creepy. Need to keep goons away from these terrible stories, to prevent them from getting dumb ideas.

I wish HiveCommander would change the stories listed in the OP to better ones.
Stories in the OP now:
  • Mushoku Tensei : weird loser protagonist manipulates little girls to form a harem and somehow becomes OP protagonist
  • Overlord : translation will probably never be finished. An ok story from a villains perspective.
  • Arifureta Shokugyou de Sekai Saikyou : see Mushoku Tensei
  • Tate no Yuusha no Nariagari : see Mushoku Tensei + slavery + video game mechanics for magic
  • Knights and Magic : translation will probably never be finished
  • There was a cute girl in the Hero Party, so I tried confessing : a cute story but translation will probably never be finished

What are some better stories that are not creepy and are likely to be completed? I can immediately think of the following:
  • I Shall Seal the Heavens
  • My Disciple Died Yet Again
  • Kumo Desu ga, Nani ka? (I'm a spider, so what?)
  • Worm (this is actually a western web novel, but it is online and decent)

Deadly Ham Sandwich fucked around with this message at 19:51 on Mar 22, 2016

brainwrinkle
Oct 18, 2009

What's going on in here?
Buglord
Seconding the above. I just read part of Mushoku Tensei on the recommendation of a friend, and surprise! It's trash garbage. The main character's primary internal conflict is restraining his urge to grope underage girls. The plot twists were cool, but everything around them was irredeemably gross.

Also the translation was stilted and deliberately transliterated Japanese expressions with single-word footnote explanations. Just translate the goddamn text!!!

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Deadly Ham Sandwich posted:

I don't understand the fascination with being stuck in a video game like world. You can just play a video game. There are dozens of them. Dozens!

Let's just change this into the ISSTH and MDDYA appreciation thread. Say it together with me, Have Faith in ISSTH and MDDYA, and gain eternal strife. When Meng Hoa and stupid disciple show up, who dares cause strife.

I can't really think of many other stories that were entertaining and not absurdly creepy. Need to keep goons away from these terrible stories, to prevent them from getting dumb ideas.

I wish HiveCommander would change the stories listed in the OP to better ones.
Stories in the OP now:
  • Mushoku Tensei : weird loser protagonist manipulates little girls to form a harem and somehow becomes OP protagonist
  • Overlord : translation will probably never be finished. An ok story from a villains perspective.
  • Arifureta Shokugyou de Sekai Saikyou : see Mushoku Tensei
  • Tate no Yuusha no Nariagari : see Mushoku Tensei + slavery + video game mechanics for magic
  • Knights and Magic : translation will probably never be finished
  • There was a cute girl in the Hero Party, so I tried confessing : a cute story but translation will probably never be finished

What are some better stories that are not creepy and are likely to be completed? I can immediately think of the following:
  • I Shall Seal the Heavens
  • My Disciple Died Yet Again
  • Kumo Desu ga, Nani ka? (I'm a spider, so what?)
  • Worm (this is actually a western web novel, but it is online and decent)

I think the Grimgar and Rokka LNs are the only fantasy/adventure ones I've actually enjoyed without reservation and seem like Actual Books that don't have a fanfiction-y feel to them. I tried Arifureta and Tate no Yuusha and they were both terrible. I dropped Tate no Yuusha when the slave decided to continue being a slave, but it was also pretty gross even before that.

As for other genres, I've really enjoyed "Ascendance of a Bookworm" which I think is being translated by another goon in this thread. "Kenkyo, Kenjitsu o Motto ni Ikite Orimasu" from the "girl reincarnated as antagonist in a shoujo manga/VN" genre is also pretty fun, though not quite as good as the other titles I mentioned.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
Well, I still enjoy bad wn's that don't get gross and rapey. For example, I recently read volume 15 of everyone's favorite, Mahouka. Apparently Tatsuya deeply disapproves of the very idea of homosexuality, despite how tremendously gay he and every other male character is.

I just can't get enough of that kind of garbage.

Edit: Also the homosexuals were filthy gaijin tourists and not upright citizens of nippon, naturally.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy fucked around with this message at 12:38 on Mar 22, 2016

DeafAsianQT
Aug 9, 2013
I very strongly recommend Sovereign of the Three Realms

I also like Skyfire Avenue a good amount, but it's a tier or two below Sovereign of the Three Realms imo

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007

DeafAsianQT posted:

I very strongly recommend Sovereign of the Three Realms

I also like Skyfire Avenue a good amount, but it's a tier or two below Sovereign of the Three Realms imo

Really? I read like one chapter of skyfire and then dropped it because it opened with the mc raping a girl "by accident".

gwrtheyrn
Oct 21, 2010

AYYYE DEEEEE DUBBALYOO DA-NYAAAAAH!

Well, I still enjoy bad wn's that don't get gross and rapey. For example, I recently read volume 15 of everyone's favorite, Mahouka. Apparently Tatsuya deeply disapproves of the very idea of homosexuality, despite how tremendously gay he and every other male character is.

I just can't get enough of that kind of garbage.

Edit: Also the homosexuals were filthy gaijin tourists and not upright citizens of nippon, naturally.

Uh, enjoy volume 16 then.

rizzen
Apr 25, 2011

I've been enjoying Skyfire Avenue a lot recently. It's very different from the standard wuxiaworld stories. It does have that unfortunate bit at the start, though.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
So skyfire isn't rapey in general? I might give it another shot some time.

Annointed
Mar 2, 2013

This genre is severely hosed when you got to ask "how is slavery and rape handled in the novel" and "is there slavery/rape".

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
The very existence of rape in a work of fiction doesn't offend my delicate sensibilities, but its presence in a wn is usually a good indicator that it isn't worth reading. Murder is a pretty unpleasant act too, but bad writers don't seem to obsess over it like they do with rape. Likewise, after reading most of shield hero (I regret this and no one should ever read shield hero), I noticed that the presence of slavery in a wn generally means gross slavery fetishism and not just "this is a setting where slavery exists".

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

some people just wanna watch the world burn
Oh man Only Sense Online's translation finally updated! :toot:

rizzen
Apr 25, 2011

So skyfire isn't rapey in general? I might give it another shot some time.

Just that once as far as I know, and even then, I can sort of see why the MC did what he did. It's still creepy, but eh.

Emmideer
Oct 20, 2011

Lovely night, no?
Grimey Drawer
The last time the OP updated was January of 2015 so maybe if you want a new LN OP you should make a new LN thread.

DeafAsianQT
Aug 9, 2013
The rapey thing only happens once, and it's basically used as a plot device for the story

Ignore that whole part and just take it as an explanation for the story setup imo

I know it's I Eat Tomatoes, but I've been enjoying Desolate Era a lot. We all know at some point the quality is gonna take a sudden dip though.

Comic
Feb 24, 2008

Mad Comic Stylings

Deadly Ham Sandwich posted:

Well there's a difference between playing a game and living in a world with arbitrary video game rules.

That said yes those are good suggestions.

Also it's not too different from most wuxia/cultivation stuff since those are highly segmented into 'levels' and items/loot anyway, generally.

Heck MDDYA is all about debugging a wuxia world.

drilldo squirt
Aug 18, 2006

a beautiful, soft meat sack
Clapping Larry
Anyone else read the new gate? It's one of those overpowered character in a video game world but the protagonist isn't a hosed up weirdo.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007

drilldo squirt posted:

Anyone else read the new gate? It's one of those overpowered character in a video game world but the protagonist isn't a hosed up weirdo.

I did for a while, but it was too boring.

drilldo squirt
Aug 18, 2006

a beautiful, soft meat sack
Clapping Larry
You got anything like that you enjoy?

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
For mmo stuff? OSO and king's avatar are good. I guess I'm not much for the overpowered mc in a mmo that is also real life stuff. It is just so lazy, you know?

Comic
Feb 24, 2008

Mad Comic Stylings

drilldo squirt posted:

I'm not current with it, but the overarching plot seems super plodding so I don't go back to it often.

rizzen
Apr 25, 2011

I don't think that it's too bad. It suffers more from translations being released once every other lunar cycle over bad plot or characters imo.

I also don't mind the VR game stuff. I'll pretty much read anything as long as it's interesting. OSO is probably the best of the bunch there. Was going to start up Shuras Wrath here sometime, since it seemed interesting.

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

The New Gate isn't bad or anything, but it's not particularly good either. It's setting being literally "MC was in SAO and then he walked into Log Horizon" kind of says it all really.

OSO has sorta spoiled me as far as VRMMO stuff goes because now I just can't take it seriously when people plan out their super grind strategies. It's even worse when crafting comes up, because in just about every other series it's just "I used a skill and then it was done" or maybe "I started crafting then cut to the final result".

As far as recommendations go, Sevens is a pretty alright long runner. I'd consider it a decent baseline for the whole RPG Mechanics + Fantasy World setting.

Desuwa
Jun 2, 2011

I'm telling my mommy. That pubbie doesn't do video games right!
I read tons of this lovely stuff though I've been procrastinating on OSO and MDDY and a few others that are actually good. I tend to read the first volume or however far I get in one sitting and then stall and forget about new series unless they're really good.

The one only one I can really think of that hasn't been mentioned by others in the thread is My Death Flags Show No Sign of Ending. Reincarnation as a video game villain but the twist is he can't stop being an abrasive rear end in a top hat.

I liked Sevens but I stopped reading a long time ago because it was way too harem. I liked the first part of the Lazy King but I didn't know the second half was translated so I'll have to go back.

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

BlitzBlast posted:

Oh man Only Sense Online's translation finally updated! :toot:

Speaking of this chapter, I can't think of anything more MMO than grinding up status resistance skills by putting on cursed equipment, chugging a few bottles of status ailment drugs, then kicking back for an unpleasant hour.

It was like I was reading The Gamer all of a sudden.

Chalupa Picada
Jan 13, 2009

hahaha oh my god meng hao the thief showing up in the latest chapter :allears:

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
I have no idea how divine clones are supposed to stack up against the real body.

Largepotato
Jan 18, 2007

Spurd.
What's this new translation I see on Novel Updates.

quote:

On the verge of getting to the the ‘Radiance of Youth’, Hayato Kinnai was transported to a ‘Different World’.

Before his eyes, there was a tender ‘Snow White Princess’ which was like a Goddess, who taught Hayato about the world……the next morning, the ‘Snow White Princess’ was kidnapped by a ‘Woman Demon King, who was in the high position of command in this different world.

Hayato made up his mind to save the princess.

Generic, but could be interesting, lets keep reading the description.

quote:

Obtained a magic book from the God which descended from the sky, he made full use of the magic to ‘Copy The Ability of the Partner whom you have sexual intrercourse with’ and ‘Big Penis’ , and then he went to the Demon King’s Capital―

:wtc:

Adelheid
Mar 29, 2010

Largepotato posted:

What's this new translation I see on Novel Updates.

I take back all the bad I've said about Web novels. They're actually perfect

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

One of the joys of Novel Updates is quirking a brow at whatever :wtc: title pops up.

quote:

Ex-Hero Candidate’s, Who Turned Out To Be A Cheat From Lv2, Laid-back Life In Another World

quote:

Banaza, who got summoned to the magic kingdom of Cryroad as a Hero candidate, due to having only the abilities of only a regular citizen, got treated as a disqualified Hero.

He, who originally was supposed to be returned to his original world, due to the magic kingdom’s mistake, became unable to return to his original world, inevitably has to live in this world.

That kind of person, the moment he became Lv2, acquired all skills and magics, and transcended into a super cheat with all ability points broken through the limit!

Even so, he, who does things in his own pace with an easygoing smile, takes Lys of the Demon race as his wife, and fully enjoys newly-married life. He changed his name to Furio and leads even more laid-back life, but to such Furio household, on top of a pet sabear and 4 freeloader female knights, even a Majin and Ex-Demon Lord join in, however even in this state, which couldn’t be more chaotic, enjoyment of a laid-back life continues. Please enjoy the story depicting the everyday life of the Furio family, which with the birth of the twins, gets ever increasingly laid-back.

Furthermore, story of the man who became the Hero instead of Furio included!

Normally a summary gives you an idea if you want to read the story, but with translations, it gives you an idea of how the story reads, and boy oh boy does this story sound like a bad read, insert a hundred more sentence fragments before the period.

Algid
Oct 10, 2007

I have no idea how divine clones are supposed to stack up against the real body.
Usually but not always weaker. Where is the translation at right now?

dipple
Oct 22, 2008

Algid posted:

Usually but not always weaker. Where is the translation at right now?

His blood dog just woke up and he went on a rampage destroying several cities and fighting a spirit severing dude's clone.

darkgray
Dec 20, 2005

My best pose facing the morning sun!
Omgggggggggggggggggggggggg, someone's translating the manga!

http://bato.to/comic/_/comics/ascendance-of-a-bookworm-r18488

I think. I can't see since I'm not logged in, but it should be there!

gwrtheyrn
Oct 21, 2010

AYYYE DEEEEE DUBBALYOO DA-NYAAAAAH!

darkgray posted:

Omgggggggggggggggggggggggg, someone's translating the manga!

http://bato.to/comic/_/comics/ascendance-of-a-bookworm-r18488

I think. I can't see since I'm not logged in, but it should be there!

There's a translation up for the first chapter :syoon:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ErrantSystems
Jul 5, 2009
Heads up, best chapter of ISSH to date, Chapter 553: Lord Fifth Lives for a Dream of Love! was posted yesterday.

• Locked thread