Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Ancient Chinese secret, from Japan.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HIJK
Nov 25, 2012
in the room where you sleep

Max posted:

The bigger issue I think was that Matt was really cagey this season with what he was telling people and repeatedly screwed up their professional life by not showing up, taking cases and then disappearing, and generally taking Foggy for granted.

This. Foggy did the right thing by getting a different job. Matt doesn't deserve him or Karen.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

net cafe scandal posted:

I didnt get the breath thing. How can he run around on roof tops if he cant sense the geometry around him.

Living, breathing city.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

Living, breathing city.

DareDevil vs The Spirit.

Dacap
Jul 8, 2008

I've been involved in a number of cults, both as a leader and a follower.

You have more fun as a follower. But you make more money as a leader.

net cafe scandal posted:

I didnt get the breath thing. How can he run around on roof tops if he cant sense the geometry around him.

There were a lot of scenes this season where it felt like they forgot he was blind.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Honestly, the biggest dropped ball for me was that the extremely foul mouth detective investigating the Irish gang shooting was a one-off.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

zoux posted:

Honestly, the biggest dropped ball for me was that the extremely foul mouth detective investigating the Irish gang shooting was a one-off.

At least he didn't die like the other black detective who was 2 days from retirement in JJ.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

At least he didn't die like the other black detective who was 2 days from retirement in JJ.

Very good season for black MCU detectives, actually.

Gaunab
Feb 13, 2012
LUFTHANSA YOU FUCKING DICKWEASEL
Mcnulty would have made a good Bullseye.

Oasx
Oct 11, 2006

Freshly Squeezed
I have no problem with Foggy finding another place to work, but his lack of understanding of why Matt was running around as Daredevil was stupid at best. Did Foggy forget that Wilson Fisk was freed about five seconds after he had been arrested, showing that going strictly by the law actually didn't help?

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

I didn't see much discussion about it, but the Punisher was actually extremely influential on DD. After that rooftop scene, he tries to shoot a biker, is ok with killing "just this once," loses interest in the justice system, and lets Nobu fall to his (apparent) death. S1 Daredevil would have been aghast at any of that.

zoux posted:

I'm hoping he becomes a staple character in the Punisher show.

Quiet Feet
Dec 14, 2009

THE HELL IS WITH THIS ASS!?

Just two more episodes to go. Not referring to anything specific, but they've done a great job of making the Punisher horrifying, reeling you close to some sympathy towards him and then smacking you back down with another atrocity.

HIJK
Nov 25, 2012
in the room where you sleep

Oasx posted:

I have no problem with Foggy finding another place to work, but his lack of understanding of why Matt was running around as Daredevil was stupid at best. Did Foggy forget that Wilson Fisk was freed about five seconds after he had been arrested, showing that going strictly by the law actually didn't help?

It's not about Matt working outside the law, at least not anymore. It's about Matt's total disregard for his own well being and how Daredevil turns him into a person who is unreliable. You have to remember that if Foggy and Karen are dependent on Matt being cooperative and hard working in the lawfirm in order to survive. That's why Karen is so worried about being broke. Being broke is a one way trip to homelessness and poverty.

When Matt chooses Elektra and Daredevil over Foggy and Karen then he is putting their well being in significant danger and what's more he stops caring about them completely about halfway through the show.

It's not about being a vigilante. Foggy's come around to that. The problem is that Matt's selfishness puts their jobs in danger and it stings when Matt dissolves the firm, because he's showing Foggy and Karen that he doesn't care about them, that he doesn't care enough to tell them the truth, (he lied to Foggy and Karen about Elektra, we mustn't forget) and that he doesn't care what happens to them as a consequence of his actions.

It wasn't being Daredevil, it was how being Daredevil LEAD to Matt being selfish and uncaring and apathetic to their existence.

The be fair to Matt I think he does care about Foggy and Karen, more than they realize, but he didn't show it and his actions are the only currency they can judge him by since every other word out of his mouth is a filthy lie.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

It was great that he admitted that he needs to be DD in that last conversation with Elektra. I noticed when they are doing the house heist flashback, how at ease and relaxed Matt was and how much he loved showing off his powers. For his whole life he's had to pretend to be this fragile, helpless man when he's really more capable and less disabled than any "normal" person. He loves being DD, beyond his moral imperative, because it's the only time he doesn't have to hide who he is. It's another reason he loved/loves Elektra so much, he can be himself around her.

Nephthys
Mar 27, 2010

HIJK posted:

It's not about Matt working outside the law, at least not anymore. It's about Matt's total disregard for his own well being and how Daredevil turns him into a person who is unreliable. You have to remember that if Foggy and Karen are dependent on Matt being cooperative and hard working in the lawfirm in order to survive. That's why Karen is so worried about being broke. Being broke is a one way trip to homelessness and poverty.

When Matt chooses Elektra and Daredevil over Foggy and Karen then he is putting their well being in significant danger and what's more he stops caring about them completely about halfway through the show.

It's not about being a vigilante. Foggy's come around to that. The problem is that Matt's selfishness puts their jobs in danger and it stings when Matt dissolves the firm, because he's showing Foggy and Karen that he doesn't care about them, that he doesn't care enough to tell them the truth, (he lied to Foggy and Karen about Elektra, we mustn't forget) and that he doesn't care what happens to them as a consequence of his actions.

It wasn't being Daredevil, it was how being Daredevil LEAD to Matt being selfish and uncaring and apathetic to their existence.

The be fair to Matt I think he does care about Foggy and Karen, more than they realize, but he didn't show it and his actions are the only currency they can judge him by since every other word out of his mouth is a filthy lie.

Yeah, this. Foggy was pissed because Matt was straight up ruining his life. If Foggy hadn't stepped up and impressed people so much, he would have been absolutely screwed. Matt tanked their careers after forcing Foggy into that situation and didn't even give a poo poo about it.

Personally I thought the season was fantastic. I loved most of it, even the Elektra stuff, but the ending was weak. My problem wasn't that they went into ninja poo poo, its that they didn't go in hard enough. The hole was so intriguing it hooked me and then the zombie ninja's reeled me in and all they had to do with clinch it. If they'd have gone balls out and a loving demon had come out of the coffin and started clowning Matt it would have been pretty great. But instead the season just builds up to.... Nobu? Nobu is a side-villain. He WAS a side-villain last season and Matt had already beaten him. Why should I be invested in this guy who I know nothing about, have no personal stake in, who has no real personal beef with the hero and who the hero has already bested before? They needed to go bigger.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.

Nephthys posted:

Yeah, this. Foggy was pissed because Matt was straight up ruining his life. If Foggy hadn't stepped up and impressed people so much, he would have been absolutely screwed. Matt tanked their careers after forcing Foggy into that situation and didn't even give a poo poo about it.

Personally I thought the season was fantastic. I loved most of it, even the Elektra stuff, but the ending was weak. My problem wasn't that they went into ninja poo poo, its that they didn't go in hard enough. The hole was so intriguing it hooked me and then the zombie ninja's reeled me in and all they had to do with clinch it. If they'd have gone balls out and a loving demon had come out of the coffin and started clowning Matt it would have been pretty great. But instead the season just builds up to.... Nobu? Nobu is a side-villain. He WAS a side-villain last season and Matt had already beaten him. Why should I be invested in this guy who I know nothing about, have no personal stake in, who has no real personal beef with the hero and who the hero has already bested before? They needed to go bigger.

Nah, they should save all of that for Iron Fist. Let Iron Fist go balls to the wall crazy mysticism, Daredevil only setting a loose stage for it is fine. If Ironfist isn't fighting a dragon or some poo poo in the first season it's a failure. Especially since Strange is out before Iron Fist airs.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

A gritty, realistic dragon that says poo poo way too much.

mikeraskol
May 3, 2006

Oh yeah. I was killing you.
Kingpin knows (or at least suspects) that Matt is more than he seems, right? After Matt punched him they had a quick scene of Kingpin back in his cell, touches his lip where he got hit and then immediately asks an underlying to bring him the file on Murdock.

zoux posted:

It was great that he admitted that he needs to be DD in that last conversation with Elektra. I noticed when they are doing the house heist flashback, how at ease and relaxed Matt was and how much he loved showing off his powers. For his whole life he's had to pretend to be this fragile, helpless man when he's really more capable and less disabled than any "normal" person. He loves being DD, beyond his moral imperative, because it's the only time he doesn't have to hide who he is. It's another reason he loved/loves Elektra so much, he can be himself around her.

This is a good post. You can tell how Elektra coming back into his life made Matt realize he was missing something, because as soon as she is gone he tells Karen that he's Daredevil.

Na'at
May 5, 2003

You need chaos in your soul to give birth to a dancing star
Lipstick Apathy
Sitting down to watch Daredevil and being pissed that there are ninjas is like watching Guardians of the Galaxy and bitching that there are too many aliens.

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

Nobu was given a lot more characterisation in the season where he's Kingpin's sidekick than he is in the season where he's the main villain.

Na'at posted:

Sitting down to watch Daredevil and being pissed that there are ninjas is like watching Guardians of the Galaxy and bitching that there are too many aliens.

The problem isn't that magic ninjas exist, it's that they are boring one dimensional magic ninjas, in a series that owes a lot of its success to its strong, interesting villains.

marktheando fucked around with this message at 20:05 on Mar 22, 2016

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

marktheando posted:

Nobu was given a lot more characterisation in the season where he's Kingpin's sidekick than he is in the season where he's the main villain.

He's not the main villain at all.

Kal-L
Jan 18, 2005

Heh... Spider-man... Web searches... That's funny. I should've trademarked that one. Could've made a mint.
Just finished seeing the last episode. :golfclap:

Regarding Punisher's origin/ stuff from the last two episodes: It seems that the Castle family went to the park that day because the Colonel wanted to invite Frank to his drug dealing op. Like, he already had the three way deal set up, hears that Frank is back in NY, and figures that it'll be an easier sell by showing him how things are done. Just take Frank away from his family for half an hour, and then let him go back to drive them home and think about the sweet deal.

Of course, things went badly because Colonel got wind of the ambush/Reyes hosed up things further, and then Castle's family got caught in the crossfire. In the end it was Colonel's fault for inviting the Castle family to the park during his big drug deal, but then not warning him to leave.

It just happened that so many people wanted to cover their own asses, that it took Frank quite a while to find out who was the real culprit.

net cafe scandal
Mar 18, 2011

Kal-L posted:

In the end it was Colonel's fault for inviting the Castle family to the park during his big drug deal, but then not warning him to leave.

This is the most insane poo poo ever. Why did they put this in the plot

mikeraskol
May 3, 2006

I don't think that was what happened at all unless I missed something. I thought the Castle family just liked that merry-go-round, and it happened to be near where the drug deal was going to go down. Just bad luck.

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

net cafe scandal posted:

This is the most insane poo poo ever. Why did they put this in the plot

I don't remember anything about the kurrgan inviting Franks family.

zoux posted:

Well stopping him is the focus of most of the season. If not him then who is?

net cafe scandal
Mar 18, 2011

I bet if you asked 10 people what the circumstances of Frank's familys death were and what the COlonels role in it was, they would give you 10 different answers followed by, "I think" or "I guess"

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.

marktheando posted:

Nobu isn't the focus of the season though. It's fine to have a "final villian" that doesn't have characterization. Just like DD:S1 was essentially an origin story for the Kingpin, Matt got like very very little character development or changes throughout the season.

DD:S2 is more focused on Matt and the struggle between holding on to both Matt Murdock(Foggy) and Daredevil(Elektra). And Matt utterly failing at both.

Mostly this just appear to be further ground laying and setup for the hand in Iron Fist.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

marktheando posted:

I don't remember anything about the kurrgan inviting Franks family.

Well stopping him is the focus of most of the season. If not him then who is?

I'd say it's broadly the Hand if you need to have a person or people be the antagonist, but the conflict is initially "what is the Hand doing??" and then it's "Will Elektra join and lead the Hand??"

Marvel books and MCU movies often get flak for not having compelling villians in favor of interpersonal conflict between the heroes, really Loki, Kilgrave and Kingpin are the only good villains in the MCU. All the other villains are just there to be punched by the heroes after they get over their baggage.

Na'at
May 5, 2003

Lipstick Apathy

zoux posted:

This guy gets it.

I'm amazed at people wanting answers to all these mysteries and plot points to be answered in a single season. This isn't network TV and the traditional season structure doesn't apply. Netflix is building a multi-show multi-season story and the writers know this.

Why cry foul on a big rear end hole when we've seen an old woman with a legion of followers who blinded themselves, who also managed to knock Daredevil on his own rear end with her hand? I don't recall any answers being given here and that poo poo was way back in season 1.

Pander
Oct 9, 2007

Fear is the glue that holds society together. It's what makes people suppress their worst impulses. Fear is power.

And at the end of fear, oblivion.

Kal-L posted:

Just finished seeing the last episode. :golfclap:

Regarding Punisher's origin/ stuff from the last two episodes: It seems that the Castle family went to the park that day because the Colonel wanted to invite Frank to his drug dealing op. Like, he already had the three way deal set up, hears that Frank is back in NY, and figures that it'll be an easier sell by showing him how things are done. Just take Frank away from his family for half an hour, and then let him go back to drive them home and think about the sweet deal.

Of course, things went badly because Colonel got wind of the ambush/Reyes hosed up things further, and then Castle's family got caught in the crossfire. In the end it was Colonel's fault for inviting the Castle family to the park during his big drug deal, but then not warning him to leave.

It just happened that so many people wanted to cover their own asses, that it took Frank quite a while to find out who was the real culprit.

I got a different perspective RE: Punisher origin

Something happened in Kandahar (found tons of pure heroin, an operation, something). They take it over from Taliban or something and own it. Colonel convinces others to join him. Frank just wants to leave to go to his family. Colonel considers him a loose end to tie off sometime, and does it by setting up the operation in the park he's learned Frank frequents with his family. I don't think he ever had any intention of showing up to the meeting, and the undercover agent was a coincidence.

That explanation would justify the Kandahar secret the Blacksmith tells Frank to tell Karen, as well as the Blacksmith's speech about loyalty.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
The main villain in Daredevil S2 was Matt Murdock.

Mull over that one, nerds :colbert:

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Rarity posted:

The main villain in Daredevil S2 was Matt Murdock.

Mull over that one, nerds :colbert:

You're not far off, it's the heroes own demons and the tension between being a hero or being a regular person that are usually the biggest threats in Marvel stuff.

Na'at
May 5, 2003

Lipstick Apathy

net cafe scandal posted:

I bet if you asked 10 people what the circumstances of Frank's familys death were and what the COlonels role in it was, they would give you 10 different answers followed by, "I think" or "I guess"

You're probably right

Na'at posted:

A good barometer for how much attention someone actually pays while watching a show seems to be if they know who The Blacksmith is. A lot of people seem really confused by explicitly stated facts and clearly shown events.

Nephthys
Mar 27, 2010

Dexo posted:

Nah, they should save all of that for Iron Fist. Let Iron Fist go balls to the wall crazy mysticism, Daredevil only setting a loose stage for it is fine. If Ironfist isn't fighting a dragon or some poo poo in the first season it's a failure. Especially since Strange is out before Iron Fist airs.

Well maybe don't go full balls out, but do something interesting at least.

Though personally I think they went full mysticism with Gou tossing Matt like 10 feet, Nobu reviving or with the ninja double-autopsy. They're already there. Trying to keep your feet dry after dipping your toes in is just awkward. We already know magic is real, give us something. Have something come out of the coffin, be vaguely magic and wreck poo poo until Elekra dies to stop it or something and then end with Matt wondering what the gently caress even just happened. Without that it's like a Paranormal Activity movie where nothing happens at the end. I wanted to see the ghost is all I'm saying. Nobu opening his eyes at the end wasn't enough. Dude still isn't interesting.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Na'at posted:

This guy gets it.

I'm amazed at people wanting answers to all these mysteries and plot points to be answered in a single season. This isn't network TV and the traditional season structure doesn't apply. Netflix is building a multi-show multi-season story and the writers know this.

Well, it would be very nice to know exactly what a Black Sky is so we can know what to worry about. It'd be like a Batman story where he has to stop the Joker from deploying Operation: Curtain Call and they keep saying Curtain Call over and over again without saying what the gently caress they're actually stopping.

Na'at posted:

Why cry foul on a big rear end hole when we've seen an old woman with a legion of followers who blinded themselves, who also managed to knock Daredevil on his own rear end with her hand? I don't recall any answers being given here and that poo poo was way back in season 1.

That was early lovely DareDevil though. He was just a guy in a mask back then. That might've even been before he'd managed to kick Stick's rear end too, actually.

Speaking of which, is Melvin someone in the comics too?

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

RareAcumen posted:

Speaking of which, is Melvin someone in the comics too?

He's a bad guy turned good guy called the Gladiator

Dapper Dan
Dec 16, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!
Why is everyone so confused as to the motives of the Punisher's family's deaths? Watch the last episode again. The Blacksmith invited Frank to be part of his awesomely profitable heroin trading scheme. Frank refused. The Blacksmith knew Frank was a loose end because he'd been exposed and Frank is a very real law and order type. The Blacksmith gets wind Frank is taking his family to the park, sets up a fake drug deal between three very twitchy gangs, tips off the DA to the deal and then doesn't show. The Blacksmith knows the gangs are super loving twitchy and the DA is heavy handed. Frank is there in the park and then a fire-fight occurs. It was specifically done to kill Frank. His family was inconsequential.

Frank knew The Blacksmith's identity, knew how profitable it was and had a chance to reveal it. The Blacksmith needed him eliminated. Getting him caught in the cross-fire was part of the plan. What wasn't part of it was Frank surviving.

Also, if they wanted to tie Frank to 'The Hand' storyline, they could have made the Blacksmith part of the Hand, and had everything in a neat little bow. Then he shows up with a mini-gun and just massacres some ninjas.

mikeraskol
May 3, 2006

Dapper Dan posted:

Why is everyone so confused as to the motives of the Punisher's family's deaths? Watch the last episode again. The Blacksmith invited Frank to be part of his awesomely profitable heroin trading scheme. Frank refused. The Blacksmith knew Frank was a loose end because he'd been exposed and Frank is a very real law and order type. The Blacksmith gets wind Frank is taking his family to the park, sets up a fake drug deal between three very twitchy gangs, tips off the DA to the deal and then doesn't show. The Blacksmith knows the gangs are super loving twitchy and the DA is heavy handed. Frank is there in the park and then a fire-fight occurs. It was specifically done to kill Frank. His family was inconsequential.

Frank knew The Blacksmith's identity, knew how profitable it was and had a chance to reveal it. The Blacksmith needed him eliminated. Getting him caught in the cross-fire was part of the plan. What wasn't part of it was Frank surviving.

Also, if they wanted to tie Frank to 'The Hand' storyline, they could have made the Blacksmith part of the Hand, and had everything in a neat little bow. Then he shows up with a mini-gun and just massacres some ninjas.

This doesn't make any sense. If he knew the Blacksmith's identity, as soon as he got out of prison he would have booked it upstate and shot Clancy Brown in the face. He only figured it out by following Karen.

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

Na'at posted:

This guy gets it.

I don't really want answers to the mysteries of the hand to be honest, I'd be perfectly happy if the next season just ignores them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

marktheando posted:

I don't really want answers to the mysteries of the hand to be honest, I'd be perfectly happy if the next season just ignores them.

I imagine next season will be all about Evil Elektra in charge of the Hand and Matt trying to get her back.