Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

Entropic posted:

The red angel seems kind of bad to me. 4 power haste with evasion for 4 mana is very good, but the downside is huge.

Would you pay 2RR and 6 to 10 life or so for a 4/5 flying haste? Some decks definitely would, but it seems mighty risky.

it doesn't have a downside if the opponent's dead

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MiddleEastBeast
Jan 19, 2003

Forum Bully
A cool sequence will be playing Castigator and serving, followed by your opponent playing their copy on the next turn and bashing your head in.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks
It lets decks that normally couldn't race you race you though. If you're playing a burn deck and at 12 life from fetching shocks and whatever incidental damaged they've pushed through, normally you'd feel pretty safe, but you slam this to try to finish them off and suddenly their bolt-snapcaster-bolt is lethal for you.

Hell, if you have no blockers that's lethal from 16 life.

Double damage on everything adds up way quicker than you might think.

Eela6
May 25, 2007
Shredded Hen
It seems incredibly meta dependent. If you're facing ramp, control, or slower mid-range, this could be an incredible finisher for a fast red deck. In a red mirror it's possibly the worst thing you could play.

Rip_Van_Winkle
Jul 21, 2011

"When life gives you ghosts, you make ghost-robots"

I think this is a philosophy we can all aspire to.

The answer, as always, is fog

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

Entropic posted:

The red angel seems kind of bad to me. 4 power haste with evasion for 4 mana is very good, but the downside is huge.

Would you pay 2RR and 6 to 10 life or so for a 4/5 flying haste? Some decks definitely would, but it seems mighty risky.

It is red as gently caress though, I'll give it that much.

The downside is only bad vs a very narrow band of decks.

Bread Set Jettison
Jan 8, 2009

4 Power with flying is very strong for 4 mana without considering anything else. It has haste and a downside that an aggressive deck doesnt care about, and is relatively difficult to block despite its downside. Its bad against fog but who cares.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks
Do we even have a good Fog with Winds of Qal Sisma gone? Maybe we'll get a Moonmist reprint. :woof:

mcmagic posted:

The downside is only bad vs a very narrow band of decks.

Ones that can deal damage from multiple sources in a turn?

StrugglingHoneybun
Jan 2, 2005

Aint no thing like me, 'cept me.

I love SaffronOlive, but lmao

Network42
Oct 23, 2002
Red angel seems dangerously bad in modern.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

Entropic posted:

It lets decks that normally couldn't race you race you though. If you're playing a burn deck and at 12 life from fetching shocks and whatever incidental damaged they've pushed through, normally you'd feel pretty safe, but you slam this to try to finish them off and suddenly their bolt-snapcaster-bolt is lethal for you.

Hell, if you have no blockers that's lethal from 16 life.

Double damage on everything adds up way quicker than you might think.

that won't happen in standard or draft, the formats it will be played in

Salvor_Hardin
Sep 13, 2005

I want to go protest.
Nap Ghost
Pretty sure a 4/X flying haste for RR2 without any downsides would be fringe playable at best in Modern.

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer
I like negator-like cards but I feel like midrange creatures are too good for suicide aggro cards to thrive any more.

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Dang so this is like looking over his shoulder in real-time
Grimey Drawer
I'm hell of excited because Jeff Menges, the artist behind the original Swords to Plowshares, Moat, Bazaar of Baghdad, Aspect of Wolf, and Sea Serpent (among others) painted a Wolf token for my Cat Draft. The Cat Draft is a charity event benefiting the cat adoption center where I volunteer. Last year we raised almost a thousand dollars, and all of that money went towards supplies and medical check-ups for the cats. PM me if you want details on the event; it's in Long Island, New York and I don't know how many Magic-playing goons are in that general area. I can't wait to get these things printed.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

BJPaskoff posted:

I'm hell of excited because Jeff Menges, the artist behind the original Swords to Plowshares, Moat, Bazaar of Baghdad, Aspect of Wolf, and Sea Serpent (among others) painted a Wolf token for my Cat Draft. The Cat Draft is a charity event benefiting the cat adoption center where I volunteer. Last year we raised almost a thousand dollars, and all of that money went towards supplies and medical check-ups for the cats. PM me if you want details on the event; it's in Long Island, New York and I don't know how many Magic-playing goons are in that general area. I can't wait to get these things printed.

Where on Long Island are you?

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

Entropic posted:

Do we even have a good Fog with Winds of Qal Sisma gone? Maybe we'll get a Moonmist reprint. :woof:

That white one with Awaken is the best we have.

That's not a praise of Encircling Fissure.

RIP Thing In The TurboFog.

MiddleEastBeast
Jan 19, 2003

Forum Bully

mandatory lesbian posted:

that won't happen in standard or draft, the formats it will be played in

That exact scenario won't happen in limited, but its downside is going to be pretty big draft/sealed where you're likely to be facing a gummed up board, outside of some very specific and well-honed deck configurations.

edit: its also a mythic so i guess who cares

Bread Set Jettison
Jan 8, 2009

Elyv posted:

here's the clue tokens and emblems btw

That symbol is pretty tentacley, know who else has tentacles??? :can:

netcat
Apr 29, 2008

Bread Set Jettison posted:

That symbol is pretty tentacley, know who else has tentacles??? :can:

:getin:

Serperoth
Feb 21, 2013

BJPaskoff posted:

You should contact Ms. Longmore about that, I think she'd be interested :v:

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

Salvor_Hardin posted:

Pretty sure a 4/X flying haste for RR2 without any downsides would be fringe playable at best in Modern.

You'd be right.

Trading "dies to dismember" for "you yourself now die to a ton of stuff" seems like a bad deal most of the time.

Death Bot
Mar 4, 2007

Binary killing machines, turning 1 into 0 since 0011000100111001 0011011100110110
Tom Ross is going to win a game on camera by drawing and playing his single copy

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

"That must weigh heavily on your soul. Let me purge it for you."

Entropic posted:

You'd be right.

Trading "dies to dismember" for "you yourself now die to a ton of stuff" seems like a bad deal most of the time.

This set actually provides a lot of stuff for Falkenrath Aristocrat, I look forward to experimenting with them. Going to take a crack at incorporating the Militia Captain and the Abbey into a new brew in modern.

Also if Falkenrath Aristocrat dies to dismember, you've just not fed her enough.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

"Can it survive bolt" is a pretty relevant concern in modern, although Castigator may cause you to fail that test

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

The bigger problem with Castigator in Modern is that no deck exists that wants it. It'll probably get played in Standard in some kind of 24-land aggro deck like the Hellrider aggro from last Innistrad.

Dungeon Ecology
Feb 9, 2011

from Maro's twitter

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks
I want to see someone get greedy and run out of two Castigators in a row. :getin:

Cernunnos
Sep 2, 2011

ppbbbbttttthhhhh~

BJPaskoff posted:

This is cool and I'd go if I was anywhere in NY/NJ and not the southern end of the country.

For the future (if you can get an artist/artists to do another token for this). Some actual cat tokens:

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.

Dungeon Ecology posted:

from Maro's twitter

Shoulda been "Howling Anthem"

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

Cool that they gave it flash. I'm a bit confused about the wording though, why doesn't it use the normal lord templating?

gwrtheyrn
Oct 21, 2010

AYYYE DEEEEE DUBBALYOO DA-NYAAAAAH!

Entropic posted:

I want to see someone get greedy and run out of two Castigators in a row. :getin:

A shame you can't combo that with deflecting palm

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Dungeon Ecology posted:

from Maro's twitter

I like the art on this

ScarletBrother
Nov 2, 2004

Irony Be My Shield posted:

Cool that they gave it flash. I'm a bit confused about the wording though, why doesn't it use the normal lord templating?

Because it's an enchantment...

Madmarker
Jan 7, 2007

So it can boost both Wolfir and Werewolves without giving a creature that is both a wolf and a werewolf +2/+2

Rip_Van_Winkle
Jul 21, 2011

"When life gives you ghosts, you make ghost-robots"

I think this is a philosophy we can all aspire to.

Dungeon Ecology posted:

from Maro's twitter

Avacyn went crazy because her neighbor's dog won't shut the gently caress up

it's like five in the morning

goddamn

Gay Horney
Feb 10, 2013

by Reene
not sure if I should post this here or in the Brewhaus but I'm thinking BW control will be good. I haven't played standard or paid attention to Magic pretty much at all since like Theros though. What cards that aren't rotating out will be good in that shell? I like Ayli but I don't think the token gen/other creatures will be there to make her work effectively.
I'm thinking Dead Weight, Anguished Unmaking, Sinister Concotion, To the Slaughter, and Declaration in Stone are all 4 ofs, with probably a couple Expose Evil as well. That's a pretty solid removal base for a control deck, but INN seems to be really lacking in card draw. Probably Ob Nixilis/new Sorin as card draw/finishers? I'm also not sure what creatures would work. What are some playable cards from the last block that would slot into a deck like this? I'm also not convinced that I don't want to go Esper (reflector mage, thing in the ice, card draw) but that seems highly greedy with the manabases being what they are.

Barry Shitpeas
Dec 17, 2003

there is no need
to be upset

Winner POTM July 2013

That is the normal templating for lords that boost multiple creature types, to remove ambiguity for creatures that have both

OfChristandMen
Feb 14, 2006

GENERIC CANDY AVATAR #2
I think it's more of a question of:

Why it's

Each creature you control that's a Wolf or Werewolf gets +1/+1 and has trample

Vs.

Wolf and Werewolf creatures you control get +1/+1 and have trample

Madmarker
Jan 7, 2007

OfChristandMen posted:

I think it's more of a question of:

Why it's

Each creature you control that's a Wolf or Werewolf gets +1/+1 and has trample

Vs.

Wolf and Werewolf creatures you control get +1/+1 and have trample

It is clearer to the reader in version 1 that each creature is at max getting +1/+1.

Either reading should work, but i am fairly certain it is for clarity's sake.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Rip_Van_Winkle posted:

Avacyn went crazy because her neighbor's dog won't shut the gently caress up

it's like five in the morning

goddamn

They never thought about the repercussions of taking down Big Window. :ohdear:

• Locked thread