Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
I haven't read the terms and conditions closely myself, but from Ken Hite and Robin Laws' discussion of it, they were saying that WOTC has left themselves an out as far as pulling the plug on any material that might end up making D&D and its settings look bad by association.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Scyther
Dec 29, 2010

:stat: I hear WOTC can pull the plug on third party material that might end up making D&D and its settings look bad by association.

:wal: Too bad they can't pull the plug on all the indie games that make D&D look bad by comparison.

:stat: :wal: DOO HO HO

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

Scyther posted:

:stat: I hear WOTC can pull the plug on third party material that might end up making D&D and its settings look bad by association.

:wal: Too bad they can't pull the plug on all the indie games that make D&D look bad by comparison.

:stat: :wal: DOO HO HO

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

I wanna be a saikyo HERO!

gradenko_2000 posted:

I haven't read the terms and conditions closely myself, but from Ken Hite and Robin Laws' discussion of it, they were saying that WOTC has left themselves an out as far as pulling the plug on any material that might end up making D&D and its settings look bad by association.

There's the usual clause to nix offensive material, whatever that may be, and they have the ability to pull down whatever they like (and since it's exclusive, you can't put it up anywhere else). They can't take ownership of material you write for them, IIRC, but they basically can give you a "like or lump it" offer as far as I can tell due to exclusivity.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.

gradenko_2000 posted:

Not directly related to the tabletoplibrary discussion, but it sure would be nice if WOTC allowed PODs of their officially released PDFs.

They aren't doing that, but I remember seeing anniversary copies of some of their older games popping up in my FLGs shortly before it closed down. They definitely looked official. Probably should have bought those then.

occamsnailfile
Nov 4, 2007

zamtrios so lonely
Grimey Drawer

Alien Rope Burn posted:

There's the usual clause to nix offensive material, whatever that may be, and they have the ability to pull down whatever they like (and since it's exclusive, you can't put it up anywhere else). They can't take ownership of material you write for them, IIRC, but they basically can give you a "like or lump it" offer as far as I can tell due to exclusivity.

Wait, does this mean once it's submitted to them, you can't submit it elsewhere if it's rejected? I mean if one scrubbed it of infringing material, assuming that were possible for the piece.

inklesspen
Oct 17, 2007

Here I am coming, with the good news of me, and you hate it. You can think only of the bell and how much I have it, and you are never the goose. I will run around with my bell as much as I want and you will make despair.
Buglord
Nope. The exclusive license to your work begins when you submit it, not when they accept it. See section 5b.

MalcolmSheppard
Jun 24, 2012
MATTHEW 7:20

Covok posted:

They aren't doing that, but I remember seeing anniversary copies of some of their older games popping up in my FLGs shortly before it closed down. They definitely looked official. Probably should have bought those then.

Yes. They released anniversary editions of OD&D, 1e (including UA and a few module series) and 2e. I would have loved a Rules Cyclopedia re-release.

MalcolmSheppard
Jun 24, 2012

Libertad! posted:

Over on Tenkar's Tavern, one of the points raised by Matt Finch (Swords & Wizardry creator) was that retaining control of intellectual property played a large role in some publishers shying away from DM's Guild:

I find it hilarious that Matt Finch is concerned about retaining control over the rights to his D&D clone series. Like S&W Complete has a Baalrog, which is totally not a Balrog, but a demon bull because Baal is like a demon, and Rog is somehow short for aurochs, right? Right?

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord
So um...

http://www.enworld.org/forum/content.php?3300-D-D-comes-to-Middle-Earth-%28from-Cubicle-7%29

5e Middle Earth...

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

It's going to be bad, but hopefully it's going to make C7 a lot of money that they can instead spend on their good games, such as TOR.

RiotGearEpsilon
Jun 26, 2005
SHAVE ME FROM MY SHELF
You could make a really solid Middle Earth game on the 5e core rules, they just, y'know, won't.

Slimnoid
Sep 6, 2012

Does that mean I don't get the job?

MalcolmSheppard posted:

Yes. They released anniversary editions of OD&D, 1e (including UA and a few module series) and 2e. I would have loved a Rules Cyclopedia re-release.

WotC is hell-bent on pretending BECMI never existed.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.

Slimnoid posted:

I can't fathom why. Hell, BECMI tends to be what all the old timers tend to fondly remember.

Comrade Koba
Jul 2, 2007

It'll be fun to see how they'll make D&D-style magic work in Middle-Earth.

ProfessorCirno
Feb 17, 2011

The strongest! The smartest!
The rightest!

Covok posted:

I can't fathom why. Hell, BECMI tends to be what all the old timers tend to fondly remember.

Because Basic vs Advanced was the first "edition war" and sales numbers don't actually determine who wins those. The Advanced fans were the ones who went on to work at TSR and get moved over to WotC, and they mostly hired other Advanced fans.

You gotta remember, the average age of D&D employees is in their late 30's / early 40's. They hasn't been new blood entering D&D for some time.

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

Is this, like, one of those phil-o-so-phy things where it's a hard question and you have to think? Like, "What happens when a game with baked-in wizard supremacy is put in a setting where the only wizard casts three spells?"

ProfessorCirno
Feb 17, 2011

The rightest!

homullus posted:

Is this, like, one of those phil-o-so-phy things where it's a hard question and you have to think? Like, "What happens when a game with baked-in wizard supremacy is put in a setting where the only wizard casts three spells?"

Naw, it's mostly going to be a question of "will this be even worse for actually playing LotR/Hobbit then MERPS was?"

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009
The one other positive is it might result in 5e getting some classes that weren't designed by incompetent idiots.

MalcolmSheppard
Jun 24, 2012

Slimnoid posted:

Not sure about that. Mostly I need a new copy because I sold my old one to Mearls in 2003.

RiotGearEpsilon
Jun 26, 2005
SHAVE ME FROM MY SHELF
You could totally just make a bunch of custom new classes and put them on the same rules base. Wouldn't be hard.

Really, each class could have its own playbook, like Apocalypse World.

Covok
May 27, 2013

If they're smart, cubicle 7 makes spellcasting a class feature with limited effects instead of a subsystem. Also, race classes wouldn't be a bad thing to return.

potatocubed
Jul 26, 2012

*rathian noises*

RiotGearEpsilon posted:

Really, each class could have its own playbook, like Apocalypse World.

A bit like Fellowship has kind of already done?

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

inklesspen posted:

Nope. The exclusive license to your work begins when you submit it, not when they accept it. See section 5b.

Which works out amazingly well for one person who is primed to make extraordinary good use out of the DM's Guild: Ed Greenwood. He has already started the wheels rolling to get his own stuff up in the DM's Guild, since basically all the core design team of the Forgotten Realms has wanted for decades is the ability to print more stuff as much as possible and to do it without editorial interference.

They're doing Volo's Guides and actual Mirt the Moneylender stories, and all that matters is that license to publish their own stuff for the Realms. It's going to be AMAZING.

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

potatocubed posted:

A bit Exactly like Fellowship has kind of already done?

There, I hope you don't mind me clarifying that.

Emrikol
Oct 1, 2015

Slimnoid posted:

I've gotten a strong impression that the really hardcore grogs have walked the cutoff point for Real D&D™ back to the Basic and Expert sets, the point just before fighters started getting nice things.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Pretty much. Most BECMI fans tend to stick to B/X because after that the math starts getting wonky.

Of course, like you said, that also means they missed out on the cool fighter stuff.

Elector_Nerdlingen
Sep 27, 2004

Evil Mastermind posted:

Pretty much. Most BECMI fans tend to stick to B/X because after that the math starts getting wonky.

Of course, like you said, that also means they missed out on the cool fighter stuff.

Yeah, I don't think "we're going to play BECMI basic and expert rules" is a reaction to (specifically) fighters getting to do things, and for a lot of people it's probably not got much to do with math, either. It's just the next box on from there is where all kinds of extra stuff starts getting added, and the game continues with the shift away from the "you go in places and fight monsters" vibe that you're starting to see towards the end of the Expert rules.

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

Yosuke will now die for you.

Arivia posted:

Which works out amazingly well for one person who is primed to make extraordinary good use out of the DM's Guild: Ed Greenwood. He has already started the wheels rolling to get his own stuff up in the DM's Guild, since basically all the core design team of the Forgotten Realms has wanted for decades is the ability to print more stuff as much as possible and to do it without editorial interference.

They're doing Volo's Guides and actual Mirt the Moneylender stories, and all that matters is that license to publish their own stuff for the Realms. It's going to be AMAZING.

:aaaaa: I've been trying to figure out who the target audience for submitting to the DMG is, here it is.

Good for him!

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

Yeah, that actually sounds kind of cool. I'm not much for the Forgotten Realms, but getting to see it go back to first principles is probably as good a thing as fans of it could hope for at this point.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011
Pretty much. It's not going to be just Ed, but also the other longtime members of the unofficial Realms creative team (called the lorelords) who have always written stuff for the Realms as a labour of love. The kind of people who were always like "just give me more space to fill and I happily will with amazing, cool things."

Brian R. James is thinking about putting up all his extra work that was cut out of Menzoberranzan for 4e, George Krashos has an updated and unexpurgated version of his work on the Royal Blades of Impiltur (from Dragon) already up, just really really good stuff.

ProfessorCirno
Feb 17, 2011

The rightest!

AlphaDog posted:

Yeah, I don't think "we're going to play BECMI basic and expert rules" is a reaction to (specifically) fighters getting to do things, and for a lot of people it's probably not got much to do with math, either. It's just the next box on from there is where all kinds of extra stuff starts getting added, and the game continues with the shift away from the "you go in places and fight monsters" vibe that you're starting to see towards the end of the Expert rules.

The way I've been planning to do it, broadly, is sorta merge the standard fighter (proficiency in everything) and specialization. By uh, just giving them both. Because come on. I won't be showing them the TABLE or anything, just asking them "what weapon do you want to specialize in?"

RiotGearEpsilon
Jun 26, 2005
SHAVE ME FROM MY SHELF

potatocubed posted:

A bit like Fellowship has kind of already done?

Alien Rope Burn posted:

There, I hope you don't mind me clarifying that.
Maybe. What's Fellowship?

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

homullus posted:

Maybe they'll do what MERP did and write a long explanation about how "well, the game is actually set in this particular period of Middle-Earth as referenced in the Silmarillon where magic has not yet been greatly diminished, and that therefore serves as justification for the players swimming in OD&D-esque magic items and why the spellcaster class can shoot Fireballs and summon Walls of Ice"

clockworkjoe
May 31, 2000

Rolled a 1 on the random encounter table, didn't you?
I'm looking into the costs of manufacturing miniatures - I found this article http://www.gatekeepergaming.com/article-6-how-to-get-minis-made/ but are there any good summaries of the processes involved and costs?

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy

clockworkjoe posted:

I'm looking into the costs of manufacturing miniatures - I found this article http://www.gatekeepergaming.com/article-6-how-to-get-minis-made/ but are there any good summaries of the processes involved and costs?

I don't really know anything about it, but what kind of scale are you thinking of producing them at? I imagine that will determine how people will answer.

e: By scale, I mean number of minis, not their relative size, though that may be important, too.

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

clockworkjoe posted:

Way less than GW claims it costs.

Way more than the mini kickstarter funding goal.

That Old Tree
Jun 24, 2012

nah

RiotGearEpsilon posted:

Maybe. What's Fellowship?

A pretty nifty *World hack which isn't quite available publicly yet, but it has a forum thread.

clockworkjoe
May 31, 2000

Rolled a 1 on the random encounter table, didn't you?

Kibner posted:

I don't really know anything about it, but what kind of scale are you thinking of producing them at? I imagine that will determine how people will answer.

e: By scale, I mean number of minis, not their relative size, though that may be important, too.

This is just research at this point so I don't have a specific number of miniatures in mind. I just want to know what kind of break points are involved.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

:nws:Oh good, it's been a while since the last one of these.:nws:

Why do people always have to defend this poo poo? Why is FREE SPEECH NOW PEOPLE CAN'T BUY HIS RAPEGAEM more important than expecting people not be insensitive button-pressing assholes?

Seriously, gently caress this hobby.

Evil Mastermind fucked around with this message at 21:01 on Mar 22, 2016

• Locked thread