Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
youknowthatoneguy
Mar 27, 2004
Mmm, boooofies!

CROWS EVERYWHERE posted:

Oh boy! Another "I accidentally messaged a black person and they were wacky and we learnt the magic of friendship!" stdh.jpg!

I don't really see any egregious black stereotypes with this one though, just seems like people being nice and they happen to be black.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Noyemi K
Dec 9, 2012

youll always be so sleepy when youre this tiny *plompf*

Boofchicken posted:

I don't really see any egregious black stereotypes with this one though, just seems like people being nice and they happen to be black.

Black people aren't usually this nice! <--- The stereotype

Samfucius
Sep 8, 2010

And if you gaze long enough into a nest, the nest will gaze back into you.

Boofchicken posted:

You mean besides the terrible AAVE bullshit?

black people text like everyone else!

algorithmkiller
Oct 24, 2010

Samfucius posted:

Out of curiosity, what about that struck you as AAVE?
That looks how a good portion of people I know, black and white, text.
I am from the south, maybe that's it?

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

Perhaps the people seeing racism are actually racist themselves and doth protest too loudly

Ferrovanadium
Mar 22, 2013

APEX PREDATOR

-MOST AMMUNITION EXPENDED ON CIVILIANS 2015-PRESENT
-WORST KDR VS CIVILIANS 2015-PRESENT

algorithmkiller posted:

Yeah that texting style looks like anyone I know from the south, black or white, myself included.

Khazar-khum
Oct 22, 2008

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
2nd Battalion
Calm

quote:

Troper recalls the accident involving a shovel sliding forward into his face. (Digging a snow fort, long story.) Immediately after the accident, I was the only one who new the number for an ambulance. It was not 911 at the time, and I was the YOUNGEST of all the people involved. Everyone else was marveling that I had gotten into another ambulance worthy accident or going EWW! when I showed them the gash. Before I got into the ambulance I had to calmly tell the police officer that yes, it was an accident and not deliberate.
Another example, from me, no ambulance this time. In an odd set of circumstances, I ended up hanging off the side of one horse while getting kicked by a second horse before falling to the ground. I hit the ground and stop to do an "injury check" (AKA: Saying to myself "What hurts" and mentally mapping injuries.) while everybody else went "Oh Crap" I pop back up and tell them they don't need to call an ambulance, because I know I'm not that badly hurt.
For the record, the above horse related incident left me with bruises on my left hip, bruises up the whole of my back, and a nice hoof shaped bruise on my left forearm. And in all fairness to the people who panicked while watching, had my left arm not been where it had been; the horse's hoof would have hit my face. And yes, I go "Oh Crap" after the fact because a hoof to the face is one of the easiest ways to get killed by a horse.
Still, both times, I'm calm and conversational.

Trainer

quote:

Wow, horses are a theme here. This troper is a pro horse trainer/rider. 14 years in the business means plenty of falls and other accidents. On one occasion, a hunter I was riding slipped on a wet patch in the ring and fell. The resulting fall left me with a broken knee and mild concussion. I had time for one deadpan line as the horse went down. "I think we're falling." Yep. On another occasion, I got tossed into a fence that a jumper refused, dislocated by shoulder, and fractured my skull. Another concussion, needless to say. Apparently I was holding my dislocated arm and the EMT asked me if I was in a lot of pain. "Not particularly," I replied. "Are those banana milkshakes?" Well, in my defense, I was concussed and I'm always a fan of banana. Last example: I fractured a rib falling off a horse in the schooling ring. I still had a medal class to do, so I rode it anyway, fractured ribs and all (my mother was none too proud of this, but my trainer thought I was gutsy). I finished the round but had a rail down, keeping me out of the ribbons. As I walk out of the ring, my trainer asks me how I'm feeling. "Well, I would be a lot better if the fence stayed up." Hm, for some reason a clear round wasn't the highest priority for everyone else around me...

Expletives

quote:

This troper has a love of uncommon expletives. In middle school he often cried "Sweet Jesus!" in surprise or exasperation. Now he's moved on to more multilingual curses such as "aiyaaaaa..." for annoyed sighs, "scheisse..." and "oiy..." for beleaguered sighs or expressions of empathy, "ay mis dios!" for whining or resentment, and "Yeshua!" in place of the regular Anglican version for astonishment. This troper and his friends also use a great many lines from Futurama, Family Guy, Dave Chappelle and Eddie Izzard in common conversations.
"I was on the moon....with Steve" to explain absence or whereabouts.
"Goodbyyyyyye......I love youuuuuu..." when parting company.
"Hey, [person], how's [activity or job]?" "It's alright." "Poor, [person]..."
Any mocking "awwww" is replaced with Zoidberg's "uuuuuuugggggh"
"That just raises further questions!" when explanations do not address the issue.
"...and-it's-a-great-way-to-stay-in-shape" when going through adjectives that describe an activity.
"Dave...I'm gonna race 'im." At. Any. Stop.
Having seen Hot Fuzz more than once, any absent-minded "mmmm" thrown out in conversation is echoed by a recreation of the line delivered by Nick Frost. ("Ever do crack like in Training Day?" "Yeah, sure." "Mmmm!")
Web-series, The Legend of Neil, has also seen great use recently.
"OLD man...you're not- you're not saying it right."
"You deserve it for committing murder."
"These might be your favorite parts, but this is important too." Emphasis on TOO.

venus de lmao
Apr 30, 2007

Call me "pixeltits"

poo poo that didn't happen: that insufferable dork having friends.

Zelder
Jan 4, 2012

YellerBill posted:

Yeah that texting style looks like anyone I know from the south, black or white, myself included.

Yeah that story ain't bad. If you want to see a "I only know black people from movies" stdh, check out this bad boy

http://m.imgur.com/gallery/V4FEN

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

quote:

Any mocking "awwww" is replaced with Zoidberg's "uuuuuuugggggh"

I have seen every episode of Futurama a bunch of times and have no idea what this is supposed to be.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

oldpainless posted:

Perhaps the people seeing racism are actually racist themselves and doth protest too loudly

Yeah, I'm just not seeing it here. Maybe if someone were to point it out to me, but usually these things tend be written in "slang-as-filtered-through-white-middle-class", or calling attention to how they "totally weren't thugs". This just seems like a sweet story.

Verisimilidude
Dec 20, 2006

Strike quick and hurry at him,
not caring to hit or miss.
So that you dishonor him before the judges

Verisimilidude has a new favorite as of 00:19 on Mar 22, 2016

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

That doesn't even make sense.

Bunni-kat
May 25, 2010

Service Desk B-b-bunny...
How can-ca-caaaaan I
help-p-p-p you?

NESguerilla posted:

That doesn't even make sense.

And how about : can you give "it" to me

Palisader
Mar 14, 2012

DESPAIR MORTALS, FOR I WISH TO PLAY PATTY-CAKE
It makes sense, it's just dumb as hell.

That's probably the 3rd version of the "girl accidentally treats a good samaritan like someone trying to hit on her, and is taught the error of her ways!" that I've seen recently. Someone tell these assholes to get creative.

Samfucius
Sep 8, 2010

And if you gaze long enough into a nest, the nest will gaze back into you.

algorithmkiller posted:

I mean, I'm from Oregon so that might very well be it, but I've never seen "well me and the boys will be thru to take picture with the baby"

It seems stilted

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

So let me tell you about the shittiest parent on the motherfucking planet.

I work at a grocery store and this man comes in with his 11 year old son. He buys a pack a cigarettes and a two cases of beer. The son was holding a two dollar drawing pad and placed it on the belt and I guess the dad didn’t notice it at first but when I was about to scan the pad he asked where’d it have come from and turned towards the kid and asked “Did you put that poo poo up there?”. He told me to put it back and then told his 11 year old child that he “ain’t paying for that gay rear end notebook.”. So I looked at the kid, who was close to tears and saying how he ran out of paper at home and my heart broke. So I gave the pad to him, for free, and told the dad I would take care of it. I gave the kid some tokens for a game outside and said I would look forward to buying some of his drawings and paintings when he’s all famous. He kids face was so priceless and I thought everything was good. But then, about 10 ten minutes after giving the kid his notebook, I walked outside and saw this. The drawing pad all ripped up and tossed on the pavement. I could only imagine what happened in the parking lot, but I know that that poor kid heart is loving ripped apart, just like this pad.

I’m loving horrified that there are parents like this, who, just because it’s not masculine or gender specificthey won’t let their children follow their true passions or explore interests that lead to their happiness. Even more so, I’m horrified that parents don’t care about the fine arts anymore because it doesn’t have job security. Since when did it ever matter to a child if their passion makes them money or not? Parenting is about supporting whatever makes your child happy. Have some loving consideration for your child’s wants not your homophobic and anti-art ideals.

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

keyboard ⌨️​ :clint: cowboy

bulk prices for this trend towards $3, it's Highly Unlikely it'd be sold for $2.

so there's the STDH.

stringless has a new favorite as of 08:20 on Mar 22, 2016

MonoAus
Nov 5, 2012
Maybe the kid was an arsehole and only wanted the notepad to rip it up.

Thrifting Day!
Nov 25, 2006

Boofchicken posted:

The black guys stole the phone.

Puppy Galaxy
Aug 1, 2004

Samfucius posted:

Samfucius posted:

I mean, I'm from Oregon so that might very well be it, but I've never seen "well me and the boys will be thru to take picture with the baby"

It seems stilted

I'm from New England and that struck me as a completely natural way to text for some people, regardless of race.

You're really reaching here.

Puppy Galaxy
Aug 1, 2004

"Me and the boys will be thru" could also be texted by a white mom referring to her and her sons

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

No somebody has to be racist here, not only did the poo poo not happen but it was also racist

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad
Guy makes a tribute to a video game patch by leaving a backpack in Manhattan:
https://imgur.com/gallery/nHVwR

Verisimilidude
Dec 20, 2006

Strike quick and hurry at him,
not caring to hit or miss.
So that you dishonor him before the judges

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

*hic* Gotta finish thish . . .
Doctor Rope

Khazar-khum posted:

"ay mis dios!" for whining or resentment

This grammar hurts my brain. :doh:

Decrepus
May 21, 2008

In the end, his dominion did not touch a single poster.

That sucks making up a story and then getting overshadowed by another even faker story in the comments. All stdh stories should have this happen to them.

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

I know the ending of Bioshock Infinite and haven't played it.
The writer lady is legit, though it's strange to see a person in their sixties on tumblr.

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Always playing with my meat
Grimey Drawer

Paladinus posted:

The writer lady is legit, though it's strange to see a person in their sixties on tumblr.

I believe that she wrote the game, what I don't believe is that anyone knows what it is.

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

Paladinus posted:

When one's writing credits include an episode of Transformers, an episode of My Little Pony, two Scrappy Doo episodes, one each of Star Trek TNG and Spider-Man Unlimited, a mid-nineties FMV adventure game, Laverne & Shirley, and a Barbie movie, one can just shitpost on tumblr knowing they've lived a full life.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Orange Fluffy Sheep posted:

When one's writing credits include an episode of Transformers, an episode of My Little Pony, two Scrappy Doo episodes, one each of Star Trek TNG and Spider-Man Unlimited, a mid-nineties FMV adventure game, Laverne & Shirley, and a Barbie movie, one can just shitpost on tumblr knowing they've lived a full life.

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

Joey Freshwater posted:

I believe that she wrote the game, what I don't believe is that anyone knows what it is.

It's a game by the creator of the best game of all time, Star Citizen.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Telling someone all the spoilery ending bits to Bioshock Infinite is gonna take a really long time though. I can think of three separate aspects off-hand that don't even make any sense out of context.

ElGroucho
Nov 1, 2005

We already - What about sticking our middle fingers up... That was insane
Fun Shoe

My Lovely Horse posted:

Telling someone all the spoilery ending bits to Bioshock Infinite is gonna take a really long time though. I can think of three separate aspects off-hand that don't even make any sense out of context.

People who talk about video games with strangers deserve every imaginary lovely interaction they get

RNG
Jul 9, 2009

poo poo that did happen: went to Gamestop to pick up my preorder of Dark Souls, girl behind the counter mentions that the bosses are crazy, and I tell her that I like hard enemies and Shadow of the Colossus is my favorite game. She says, "oh, cool! Wait here!" and goes to the break room to get her SotC t-shirt out of her bag. I compliment her on it, pay for the game, and walk out. I'm gay. :smuggo:

e: no i'm actually gay

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

I played Bioshock Infinite and forgot the ending :geno:

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

NESguerilla posted:

I played Bioshock Infinite and forgot the ending :geno:

The ending never existed.

LITERALLY A BIRD
Sep 27, 2008

I knew you were trouble
when you flew in

This is 100% STDH, who WOULDN'T adopt a loving Dracula cat

Stroop There It Is
Mar 11, 2012

:gengar::gengar::gengar::gengar::gengar:
:stroop: :gaysper: :stroop:
:gengar::gengar::gengar::gengar::gengar:

LITERALLY A BIRD posted:

I prefer the term Nosferpawtu

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sweeperbravo
May 18, 2012

AUNT GWEN'S COLD SHAPE (!)

LITERALLY A BIRD posted:

People are stupid idiots and many don't want to adopt a black cat because they are more difficult to photograph. I wish that was stdh.

• Locked thread