Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Raygereio
Nov 12, 2012

victrix posted:

And then when I launch the faces look the same as usual
What "No game data on top level" means is that MO has trouble with how the mod was packaged.
Mod Organizer sorts its mods like so:
\MO mods folder\Individual mod\<All the stuff that would normally go in the Data folder>

XCE (and plenty of other mods that were made before MO got big) placed its stuff in a folder called "Data" before packaging it. And after installing it with MO it will look like this:
\MO mods folder\Individual mod\data\<All the stuff that would normally go in the Data folder>
MO looks at this and goes "I only see this Data folder, where's the plugin and BSA or the Meshes & Texture folders I'm expecting?" and shrugs at you.

Zore on the previous page gave you good advice that will work in most cases. But in cases like this one where the mod author packaged extra optional stuff you may want to install it manually so you can check what that optional stuff is and if you want to use it.

Raygereio fucked around with this message at 18:42 on Mar 22, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Police Automaton
Mar 17, 2009
"You are standing in a thread. Someone has made an insightful post."
LOOK AT insightful post
"It's a pretty good post."
HATE post
"I don't understand"
SHIT ON post
"You shit on the post. Why."
I have the habit of limiting my framerate to 30 FPS and I also made the experience that this has adverse effects on script latency, because skyrims game logic is completely tied to how many frames your card can crap out for some absolutely ungodly reason. Carefully tweaking the Papyrus ini setting fUpdateBudgetMS to give the script more time to execute has fixed that issue for me. (1.2 is original, I set it to 1.5 - lowered the latency by about 100 ms to an acceptable ~63 ms on average) Don't set that to insane numbers because it'll affect your framerate badly if your game is too loaded down with scripts. I'd also skip out on mods (or only install very, very few) which check and apply things to NPCs on the regular as I've not only found them to cause stuttering sometimes but also occasionally make the game CTD if there are too many NPCs around. Mind you, it's not because the mods are badly written or technically unsound, it's just because the engine at the end of the day is not really made for that.

Also seconding the Mator Smash thing, it's very good. Learn about bash tags and that program and how mods you install actually interact with TES5Edit. I lost the nerve to mod this game any further but I guess I'll see to it again in a few months. :shepface:

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

ETPC posted:

This is all great advice. I removed OBIS, Nausccia and DSR/Dual Wield Parry (i mostly play with axes and hammers anyway :dota101: ) and then looked at CCO's instructions more and deleted some plugins that way. Also ditched Armournizer/Weaponizer under your advice. Gonna try merging plugins (any idea which ones I should merge?) and doing a Mator Smash! And yeah, I'm running the SKSE Memory patch as well as ENBoost.

Also, as to weird plugins: most of them were grabbed via STEP, GEMS or the OP in this very thread!

Generally, merging mods that just add one armor or weapon is a good idea. Merging mods that have quests is generally a bad idea. Like, don't merge the Aetherium Weapons and Armor mod, but if it just adds a standard recipe or drops the armor or whatever somewhere, it's generally okay to merge.

Also I didn't see The Wheels of Lull in there, and if you like awesome quest mods, you should grab that.

I didn't see Wyrmstooth in your list, and that's a pretty good quest mod, better than Moonpath (which is still okay, it just feels like a Bioware game rather than a Bethesda game) or Falskaar (which is technically competent, but boring, IMHO.)

Also, if you plan on doing any casting, I'd recommend grabbing Apocalypse spells, even if you're not primarily a spell caster it adds some nice utility alteration and restoration spells.

In the same vein, you might like Dwemertech and Spectraverse. They're spell/quest mods, spell mods that have neat lore friendly quests to acquire.

Finally, grab Thunderchild to make shouting awesome, although I think you may have already gotten that one.

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

Thanks, pretty faces ahoy.

It's been a long time since I played, is it normal for 1-2 power attacks to completely drain your stamina and then for it to take forever for stamina to regen?

Man there are so drat many mods to check out. I'm just going down the op and installing anything that looks remotely interesting. Any of the magic mods a lot of fun to play with SPERG? And is complete crafting overhaul still the one to use?

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

Apocalypse, Dwemertech , Spectraverse, and Thunderchild all work great with SPERG.

Maera Sior
Jan 5, 2012

Playing a game with SPERG right now and even though I have the perk for making elven and dwarven items (Worldly, apprentice level), nothing shows up at the forge. What's causing this?

Edmond Dantes
Sep 12, 2007

Reactor: Online
Sensors: Online
Weapons: Online

ALL SYSTEMS NOMINAL

Maera Sior posted:

Playing a game with SPERG right now and even though I have the perk for making elven and dwarven items (Worldly, apprentice level), nothing shows up at the forge. What's causing this?

You got anything else that would be impacting smithing? I think Morrowloot made it so you couldn't craft certain stuff and you could only find it around the world, maybe it's something like this?

rio
Mar 20, 2008

Last night I installed a slew of mods for RealVision ENB (will edit the name in in a few minutes when I am at the computer) and first it didn't run and then when it did it looked lovely. So I went back to try Purity again and I do like it for both the visuals and simplicity of use, but again the darks are way too dark for me. Is there something that will dynamically increase brightness or something similar so I can see better in the dark without needing to adjust brightness constantly (which is way too often to even be a possibility for me). Like, in FF XIV there is an option called HDR which will adjust brightness based on what you are looking at, that sort of thing?

E: also, I have mod now that lets me have as many followers as I want but I can't deal with the amount since I have a spectral beast and spectral weapon from mastering illusion, as well as mans best friend. With Arissa and Mirai, including myself, we have six units running around which is just nuts :getin: Pathing is kind of an issue as well as the fact that the game isn't balanced for that many things fighting at once really. Any mods that introduce a party system or anything like that?

rio fucked around with this message at 20:32 on Mar 22, 2016

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things
So what are the stability options you should put in your load order?

After my most recent installation started crashing on fast-travel/intermittently with no error message I decided to nuke the install and start from scratch again.

My saves tend to go crazy after about 15 hours and I really want to just do a good playthrough.

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Do you think this is funny?
Anybody ever use one of the mods that lets you do shouts by actually saying the shouts into a mic? Do they work or are they gimmicky poo poo? (Sorry if I've already asked this and forgotten, feels like I have.)

Maera Sior
Jan 5, 2012

Edmond Dantes posted:

You got anything else that would be impacting smithing? I think Morrowloot made it so you couldn't craft certain stuff and you could only find it around the world, maybe it's something like this?

Argh. I'm using Morrowloot 4E. It says this:

quote:

1) Elven, Glass, Ebony, and Orcish equipment recipes are craftable again, however there will be a race and smithing skill requirements for them:
-- Altmers can craft Elven and Glass equipment as soon as they obtain the appropriate smithing perk.
-- Orcs can craft Orcish equipment as soon as they obtain the appropriate smithing perk.
-- Nords can craft Nordic equipment as soon as they obtain the appropriate smithing perk.
-- Dunmers can craft Bonemold and Chitin equipment as soon as they obtain the appropriate smithing perk.
-- Any other race will need more levels in smithing in order to craft those equipment. To be exact, you will need an extra 20 points in your Smithing skill level to be able to craft them.
-- Ebony can be crafted by anyone, but has to be done on the Skyforge. Lore-wise you need the best forges in order to craft ebony. The Skyforge is one of them.

Is my crafting level not high enough? For what it's worth, I'm playing a high elf, so I should be able to make elven armor since I have the perk for it.

Edmond Dantes
Sep 12, 2007

ALL SYSTEMS NOMINAL

Maera Sior posted:

Argh. I'm using Morrowloot 4E. It says this:

Is my crafting level not high enough? For what it's worth, I'm playing a high elf, so I should be able to make elven armor since I have the perk for it.

Huh. Yeah, it sounds like you should. Try consoling in an extra 20 points to Smithing and see if it lets you? Maybe it's not registering your race properly for some god forsaken reason.

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007
That's not what gaslighting means you hyperbolic dipshit.

GunnerJ posted:

Anybody ever use one of the mods that lets you do shouts by actually saying the shouts into a mic? Do they work or are they gimmicky poo poo? (Sorry if I've already asked this and forgotten, feels like I have.)

The question isn't "does the mod work?" but rather "am I so much of an eternal virgin shut-in hypernerd that shouting nonsensical arbitrary video game spells into a mic at my computer wouldn't make me die from embarrassment on the spot?"

Fleve
Nov 5, 2011

Maera Sior posted:

Are you using the Complete Crafting Overhaul? It automatically hides recipes if you don't have the required crafting ingredients in your inventory. Switch that off and you should be able to see everything.

Edit: And by off, I mean, switch it so it just shows all crafting recipes at the stations. The option was meant to reduce clutter, but with the SkyUI I always just either search for a specific item or sort by damage/armor anyway, so it's not as if the clutter is any bother.

Fleve fucked around with this message at 21:35 on Mar 22, 2016

Zeron
Oct 23, 2010

GunnerJ posted:

I tried both of the big ones a fair while back, and while they do work they're kind of annoying to set up from what I remember. There are two of them, the first(Thuumic) uses ScriptDragon(lol) but is otherwise pretty easy to install and use, the other one(Skyvoice) only requires SKSE but requires you to install a microsoft speech recognition thing, it works a little better overall I think(and has Thunderchild support). If you can get past the ridiculous install instructions(installing separate programs etc) and the ridiculousness of saying stuff into your mic, it's a good way to encourage shouting more often.

ETPC
Jul 10, 2008

Wheel with it.

So would it be safe to merge all my weapon mods together unless they add quests? Also, Wyrmstooth should be in there. Weird.

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Zeron posted:

I tried both of the big ones a fair while back, and while they do work they're kind of annoying to set up from what I remember. There are two of them, the first(Thuumic) uses ScriptDragon(lol) but is otherwise pretty easy to install and use, the other one(Skyvoice) only requires SKSE but requires you to install a microsoft speech recognition thing, it works a little better overall I think(and has Thunderchild support). If you can get past the ridiculous install instructions(installing separate programs etc) and the ridiculousness of saying stuff into your mic, it's a good way to encourage shouting more often.

That's my main interest in it. I pretty much forget to shout because I never can remember to juggle all the active abilities and shouts. But this is all theoretical because lol actually playing skyrim

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X
Unrelenting Force and Whirlwind Sprint are the only shouts I ever use with any regularity so it's pretty easy to just keep them in favorites and switch as needed.

Also I just discovered the Alteration perk in SPERG that allows you to walk/run on water with a waterbreathing enchant and :iia:

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

ETPC posted:

So would it be safe to merge all my weapon mods together unless they add quests? Also, Wyrmstooth should be in there. Weird.

Just do the esps that were adding one or two armors or weapons.

Maera Sior
Jan 5, 2012

Edmond Dantes posted:

Huh. Yeah, it sounds like you should. Try consoling in an extra 20 points to Smithing and see if it lets you? Maybe it's not registering your race properly for some god forsaken reason.

Smithing was at 46, 21 points over the apprentice level, and it didn't work. It did work once I brought it up to 50, so maybe that's a typo and it needs to be 25 points higher.
Showracemenu displays the correct race. Is there any other way to check what the computer thinks I am?

ETPC
Jul 10, 2008

Wheel with it.

Agents are GO! posted:

Just do the esps that were adding one or two armors or weapons.

Are mods that add weapons to leveled lists ok? Also, apologies for asking so many dang questions, modding gamebyro games is NERVE-WRACKING as well as anxiety inducing and I get terrified I will break everything.

Well, break it more.

ETPC fucked around with this message at 03:13 on Mar 23, 2016

Edmond Dantes
Sep 12, 2007

ALL SYSTEMS NOMINAL

Maera Sior posted:

Smithing was at 46, 21 points over the apprentice level, and it didn't work. It did work once I brought it up to 50, so maybe that's a typo and it needs to be 25 points higher.
Showracemenu displays the correct race. Is there any other way to check what the computer thinks I am?

Ah, no idea. Maybe it's not playing nice with SPERG's perks, god knows what the hell is going on under the hood when mods start hitting the same areas.

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022

Eric the Mauve posted:

Also I just discovered the Alteration perk in SPERG that allows you to walk/run on water with a waterbreathing enchant and :iia:

This is one of my favorite things.

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

ETPC posted:

Are mods that add weapons to leveled lists ok? Also, apologies for asking so many dang questions, modding gamebyro games is NERVE-WRACKING as well as anxiety inducing and I get terrified I will break everything.

Well, break it more.

Yeah, the only thing you want to avoid are heavily scripted mods and mods with quests - including hidden quests, like those used to do utility stuff in the background.

Open the mod in tes5edit, make sure it doesn't have any quests in it, and it should be fine.

And breaking stuff is half the fun; remember: you're not modding a game, modding is the game.

And it's a game like Dwarf Fortress, where ultimately, victory is impossible!

ETPC
Jul 10, 2008

Wheel with it.
One more thing: is it bad practice to merge ESM's *and* ESP's? Also: cell/worldspace/container records seem safe, so I'm gonna try mods with those.

Also holy heck that is a FREEING philosophy!

ETPC fucked around with this message at 06:44 on Mar 23, 2016

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

ETPC posted:

One more thing: is it bad practice to merge ESM's *and* ESP's? Also: cell/worldspace/container records seem safe, so I'm gonna try mods with those.

I honestly don't know regarding merging esps and esms, the rest should be fine.

Edit: now that I think about it, anything that modifies an existing cell or worldspace is possibly a bad idea to merge because of the flaky way the game and the tools deal with navmeshing.

Raygerio posted:

Zore on the previous page gave you good advice that will work in most cases. But in cases like this one where the mod author packaged extra optional stuff you may want to install it manually so you can check what that optional stuff is and if you want to use it.

Fun fact: you can actually drag stuff out of the optional folders into the data folder in that dialog box!

Agents are GO! fucked around with this message at 07:56 on Mar 23, 2016

Nerd Of Prey
Aug 10, 2002

ETPC posted:

Never had any problem merging esm's and esp's when it's something like merging a bunch of optional plugins for the same mod. What you never want to do is merge a patch into a master file if the patch is supposed to override a different mod.

ETPC
Jul 10, 2008

Wheel with it.
The two ESM's I want to merge with ESP's are mostly just collections of armor and weapons. Omegared99-Compliation.esm and 3rdEraWeaponsMoS.esm.

Edit: ok, I merged the one-off plugins into one massive plugin and went from 243 active plugins to 200. yay!

now, should I use TES5Edit or Mator Smash? Are there benefits over one versus the other? A modder person I know is pushing me HARD to go with TES5Edit because of the way Mator handles things, but then also says TES5Edit is super flaky when it comes to making merged patches.

ETPC fucked around with this message at 00:07 on Mar 24, 2016

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

I've been using the mator smash standalone for a while, and it's worked nicely.

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

ETPC posted:

The two ESM's I want to merge with ESP's are mostly just collections of armor and weapons. Omegared99-Compliation.esm and 3rdEraWeaponsMoS.esm.

Edit: ok, I merged the one-off plugins into one massive plugin and went from 243 active plugins to 200. yay!

now, should I use TES5Edit or Mator Smash? Are there benefits over one versus the other? A modder person I know is pushing me HARD to go with TES5Edit because of the way Mator handles things, but then also says TES5Edit is super flaky when it comes to making merged patches.

Whatever you decide to use to make your general compatibility patch, TES5Edit is a very useful tool for other purposes.

ETPC
Jul 10, 2008

Wheel with it.
TESxEdit has saved my rear end countless times over the years. I would never play a BGS game without it.

Does Mator work with Wyre Smash or should I ditch Wyre Smash in favor of Mator?

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

The latter.

ETPC
Jul 10, 2008

Wheel with it.

Got it. And, Mator Smash works the same as Merge Plugins, right? i.e. If it's black, I add it to the smashed patch. If it's red, I stay away.

And obviously I still need the original plugin files, correct?

By the way, thanks again for being SUPER patient with me and answering all these super newbie questions! Means a hell of a lot.

Emberfox
Jan 15, 2005

~rero rero rero rero rero
I keep waffling on whether I want to use SPERG+CACO, Ordinator+CACO or SPERG+Ordinator. I enjoy Ordinator, but I find myself missing some of SPERG's features, like armor leveling up by walking around, and getting a skill point from quests. I also like the option of getting a Dwarven Spider from the animal companion perk in the Speech tree in SPERG.

Also Blood of the Nord looks interesting, but it requires me completing the Civil War questline with a Stormcloak victory. The same author did New Vegas Bounties, which I liked, so I'm torn about it.

IAmTheRad
Dec 11, 2009

Goddammit this Cello is way out of tune!
This might not be the best place to ask this, but is there a good leveling overhaul for Oblivion? Like something transparent, runs in the background, that I don't need to worry about leveling "wrong". On that note, is there a good level scaling mod that doesn't just decide to throw balance out the window and make the game horrendously hard like using any components of FCOM by themselves? I am not going to use FCOM to "fix" what some people think the game should be like.

Of course if I was just going to reinstall Skyrim and play that again I'd just use SPERG and be done with it, as the Skyrim system works just fine. No bandits in Daedric Armor with Skyrim.

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

Galerion Natural Leveling, and you should give Maskars Oblivion Overhaul a shot. It a fairly new Overhaul that is all-in-one, but highly customizable through ini files. Also check out Oblivion Reloaded for an updated rendering engine.

ETPC posted:

Got it. And, Mator Smash works the same as Merge Plugins, right? i.e. If it's black, I add it to the smashed patch. If it's red, I stay away.

And obviously I still need the original plugin files, correct?

You're making a common mistake confusing a merged PLUGIN with a merged PATCH: the merged plugin just reduces the number of small esps in your load order. A merged patch combines all the conflicting changes your mods make, so that if you have one mod that changes the color of a sword, and another that changes it's stats, with a merged patch you'll get both sets of changes.

Edit: what I'm saying is that when making your merged patch, you should keep all the esps you plan to play with active and included in the patch.

Agents are GO! fucked around with this message at 07:25 on Mar 24, 2016

ETPC
Jul 10, 2008

Wheel with it.
Ah, ok! So I add every ESP I have currently loaded to the smashed patch then! And *just* ESP's or can i smash ESM's too? Then after I smash the patch, I'll redo my DynDOLOD then I can actually play the game!

ETPC fucked around with this message at 18:33 on Mar 24, 2016

Fleve
Nov 5, 2011

Goddamnit I love Apocalypse. I'm playing a melee guy so I didn't have much use for spells, but the utility spells alone are a godsend, like negating fall damage in a certain area. And then there's the destructive stuff. I thought I'd give some of the scrolls I had collected a try and see what they'd do. Mechanically, graphically, and in terms of fun, they're better than every single vanilla spell. Spheres of lightning, storms of hail, finally some actual wizardry stuff instead of all the drat zappy deathbeams that TES games always have. I feel sad I only had two scrolls of Shroudwalk, that spell makes sneaking and backstabbing way too much fun.

primaltrash
Feb 11, 2008

(Thought-ful Croak)

IAmTheRad posted:

This might not be the best place to ask this, but is there a good leveling overhaul for Oblivion? Like something transparent, runs in the background, that I don't need to worry about leveling "wrong". On that note, is there a good level scaling mod that doesn't just decide to throw balance out the window and make the game horrendously hard like using any components of FCOM by themselves? I am not going to use FCOM to "fix" what some people think the game should be like.

I wouldn't over think it.

Just use this mod:

http://www.nexusmods.com/oblivion/mods/2691/

And then adjust the in-game difficulty to your liking from there. Using this mod and maxing out the difficulty slider always felt about right to me for the level:challenge curve.

At the very least the mod makes it so you don't have to do any of that dipshit "efficient leveling" while stringently planning all 30 of your major minor and misc skill increases to get the perfect +5/+5/+5 spread.

primaltrash fucked around with this message at 21:51 on Mar 24, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

ETPC posted:

Ah, ok! So I add every ESP I have currently loaded to the smashed patch then! And *just* ESP's or can i smash ESM's too? Then after I smash the patch, I'll redo my DynDOLOD then I can actually play the game!

Every esp/esm you plan on using should be active when you make your smashed patch.

And once you do that you can play for a little while until you start adding more mods! (The thread title is not hyperbole!)

Edit: if you're using LOOT to set your load order, Mator Smash should intelligently detect the bash tags, but if it doesn't, they're (IMHO) fairly intuitive, but you should just check that your esp/ms are tagged decently. Anything you're not sure of, just leave as default, but stuff like a sound overhaul should be tagged sound, an esp/m that upgrades weapon appearances should be tagged graphics, an NPC overhaul should be tagged NPC Faces, etc. This isn't strictly necessary, it just makes sure that stuff is properly "weighted" when Mator Smash decides which changes to mix.

Edit x 2: dammit, you're making me actually want to start a new playthrough. I haven't really touched Skyrim since getting my new PC because I've been playing games that wouldn't run well before.

Which means, yes, I've been doing this from memory.

Scyantific: I'm going to offer again to update the OP for this thread, but I'm not going to start working on it unless you say ok.

Agents are GO! fucked around with this message at 01:03 on Mar 25, 2016

• Locked thread