Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

derp
Jan 21, 2010

when i get up all i want to do is go to bed again

Lipstick Apathy
there is a difference between having a skill, and taking instructions from someone who has that skill. this is pretty basic level thinking, im really confused why you cant grasp it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stunt_enby
Feb 6, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

AdorableStar posted:

What's pgreat timing? I need to know this first.
A pgreat (perfect great) is usually used to refer to the highest scoring note in rhythm games. It stems from the flashing "GREAT" score in beatmania.

AdorableStar
Jul 13, 2013

:patriot:

totino boy posted:

so using google translate means i have the ability to speak all languages? gosh, i never knew i should be putting 'polyglot' on my resumes

Except with google translate you won't be able to converse well with the other person but with a pro go playing robot you'd pretty much beat everyone! Nice comeback!

Stuntman posted:

A pgreat (perfect great) is usually used to refer to the highest scoring note in rhythm games. It stems from the flashing "GREAT" score in beatmania.

Osu standard doesn't come with perfect great, so talking about it in the context of the OD doesn't mean much. At any rate, the windows are generally larger as you move from (nomod) easies to insanes and then tend to all be either od8 or od9 from there on. Adding the HR mod basically means you have to be good at acc to get a good score since it forces od10 on all of these maps.

I don't see a problem with a map being either od8 or od9; it doesn't affect how good I am at accuracy objectively.

Stunt_enby
Feb 6, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

AdorableStar posted:

Except with google translate you won't be able to converse well with the other person but with a pro go playing robot you'd pretty much beat everyone! Nice comeback!

Osu standard doesn't come with perfect great, so talking about it in the context of the OD doesn't mean much.
I was just using it to refer to the highest-scoring judgement in the game as a general term.

AdorableStar
Jul 13, 2013

Stuntman posted:

I was just using it to refer to the highest-scoring judgement in the game as a general term.

At any rate, the timing differences in what is relevant doesn't affect how well you can learn to accuracy as much as you think. (I'm assuming you have sub 1000pp and casual experience with osu) I prefer the system we have right now because I can play maps where at my acc level (Which is bad but if I effort I can get there) can 98% od8 and move on to od9+ when I want to increase the level of difficulty.

Actually DT makes every map I play pretty much od9-9.6 so there's that.

Safety Biscuits
Oct 21, 2010

KGS is currently displaying my rank as ?2d, about 15 stones higher than it should be. :iiam:

derp
Jan 21, 2010

Lipstick Apathy

House Louse posted:

KGS is currently displaying my rank as ?2d, about 15 stones higher than it should be. :iiam:

have you only played one or two games and won by a huge margin? dont worry, you'll get paired up with a dan next and lose and it will drop you back down

Overwined
Sep 22, 2008

Wine can of their wits the wise beguile,
Make the sage frolic, and the serious smile.
Do iiiit. Play a dan and brag the whole way through, even when you're down by like 100 points. Don't even think of resigning.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum

Booyah- posted:

If you do wind up getting the 9x9 let me know how you like it.

Got my GoGameGuru order today. For reference, I got the Mini Me Set (which is this 9x9/13x13 Shin Kaya board shipped along with The Go Bento Box) as well as the Cheap Go Board.

You asked specifically about the 9x9 board, so I'll start there. It looks and feels amazing. A half-inch plank of spruce is quite solid without feeling dense or unwieldy; its got a great grain to it, and the printed grid is perfectly centered. My only complaint is that on the 9x9 side the only star point marked out is the center. I guess this is traditional? But OGS has 5, so it just looks odd to me. I also have a small knot in the wood off to one side...but that's what you get for working with an all natural material and it adds character. Highly recommended.

The stones and bowls with the Bento Box are absolutely fantastic. Unlike the picture, which indicated the black bowl would be brownish translucent, my set is completely opaque black and white. The stones feel nice; obviously not slate and shell, but a very nice glassy/ceramic material. The foldup 19x19 board that came with it is hilariously cheap...but its turbo portable, so I guess that's what I paid for. You can pretty much see through it to the tabletop beneath in the right light.

The Cheap Go Board is exactly what it says on the tin; cheap. Less than a quarter inch thick of pressed fiber board. That said, it is solid, it is not see-through, and its a full 19x19. And it has a Chinese chess board on the back if I ever decide to play that game. If I do stick with playing Go, I'll definitely be upgrading to the 1/2 inch shin kaya 19x19 at some point...but for $10 I can't complain too much about the quality of the board.

Overwined
Sep 22, 2008

I feel dirty. I just won a game where I had to force seki to win. Doesn't feel good, man. Of course, if I hadn't made two large very obvious blunders earlier it wouldn't have been necessary. I really need to work on my focus in the endgame when I'm obviously ahead by a large margin.

Also, I got the Go Bento Box in the mail yesterday and it lives up to its reviews. The stones are actually great and the "board" is the very smallest step up from paper while technically being notpaper. I think it might actually be tyvek or tyvek-related so perhaps more durable than it seems. Either way, the stones alone are well worth the $27 for the kit. They are glass or ceramic, cool to the touch, and have good weight to them.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

Overwined posted:

Also, I got the Go Bento Box in the mail yesterday and it lives up to its reviews. The stones are actually great and the "board" is the very smallest step up from paper while technically being notpaper. I think it might actually be tyvek or tyvek-related so perhaps more durable than it seems. Either way, the stones alone are well worth the $27 for the kit. They are glass or ceramic, cool to the touch, and have good weight to them.

I'm reminded of those reusable shopping bags. I've never seen one of those rip without being deliberately cut (seams break, but the actual panels of material are solid as hell)

Overwined
Sep 22, 2008

So in 3 of the last 4 game I've played, my opponent, as black, has done the usual hoshi x2 opening, then for move number 5 they play the dot on the side that's between the two corners they already have. Is this some sort of fuseki I don't know about? Seems super passive.

derp
Jan 21, 2010

Lipstick Apathy
this? http://senseis.xmp.net/?SanrenseiFuseki

Overwined
Sep 22, 2008

Basically yes, though I would never think to respond with white 6.

derp
Jan 21, 2010

Lipstick Apathy
dwyrin has some videos on how to play against that opening https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jK68jrk-veM

Safety Biscuits
Oct 21, 2010

totino boy posted:

have you only played one or two games and won by a huge margin? dont worry, you'll get paired up with a dan next and lose and it will drop you back down

No, yesterday it was ?10k which is a reasonable guess. It changed overnight, maybe because I logged in for once?

WorldIndustries
Dec 21, 2004

jivjov posted:

Got my GoGameGuru order today. For reference, I got the Mini Me Set (which is this 9x9/13x13 Shin Kaya board shipped along with The Go Bento Box) as well as the Cheap Go Board.

You asked specifically about the 9x9 board, so I'll start there. It looks and feels amazing. A half-inch plank of spruce is quite solid without feeling dense or unwieldy; its got a great grain to it, and the printed grid is perfectly centered. My only complaint is that on the 9x9 side the only star point marked out is the center. I guess this is traditional? But OGS has 5, so it just looks odd to me. I also have a small knot in the wood off to one side...but that's what you get for working with an all natural material and it adds character. Highly recommended.

The stones and bowls with the Bento Box are absolutely fantastic. Unlike the picture, which indicated the black bowl would be brownish translucent, my set is completely opaque black and white. The stones feel nice; obviously not slate and shell, but a very nice glassy/ceramic material. The foldup 19x19 board that came with it is hilariously cheap...but its turbo portable, so I guess that's what I paid for. You can pretty much see through it to the tabletop beneath in the right light.

The Cheap Go Board is exactly what it says on the tin; cheap. Less than a quarter inch thick of pressed fiber board. That said, it is solid, it is not see-through, and its a full 19x19. And it has a Chinese chess board on the back if I ever decide to play that game. If I do stick with playing Go, I'll definitely be upgrading to the 1/2 inch shin kaya 19x19 at some point...but for $10 I can't complain too much about the quality of the board.

Cool, thanks for the review.

AdorableStar
Jul 13, 2013

House Louse posted:

If you don't play games for a while your rank dissapears and defaults to 2d? . This is a bug.

doug fuckey
Jun 7, 2007

hella greenbacks

Xom posted:

I just added http://senseis.xmp.net/?SmallGaps to https://tinyurl.com/xomsguide
user "zestym" not found on KGS

whoops, fixed

Xom
Sep 2, 2008

文化英雄
Fan of Britches
Added you.

AdorableStar
Jul 13, 2013

AdorableStar posted:

If you don't play games for a while your rank dissapears and defaults to 2d? . This is a bug.

Actually I mean to say it drifts upwards until a point, suddenly becomes 2d? for a few months, then becomes ?

derp
Jan 21, 2010

Lipstick Apathy
seattle go center is looking for volunteer teachers cause so many people are showing up trying to learn :D

Overwined
Sep 22, 2008

totino boy posted:

seattle go center is looking for volunteer teachers cause so many people are showing up trying to learn :D

Pshh, losers. Might as well throw yourself into a pit. Go is OVER.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YlGqN3AKOsA

Safety Biscuits
Oct 21, 2010

AdorableStar posted:

Actually I mean to say it drifts upwards until a point, suddenly becomes 2d? for a few months, then becomes ?

:ms: Boring!

derp
Jan 21, 2010

Lipstick Apathy
never in my loving life did i think i'd see a bit on the daily show about go

http://www.cc.com/video-clips/y32p1l/the-daily-show-with-trevor-noah-today-s-future-now---artificial-intelligence

so surreal right now

Ninjew
Aug 3, 2004

How would you guys feel about a Discord server for us to chat in? KGS is somewhat frustrating because there is no chat history if you're not logged on. And NOBODY chats on OGS, although that has persistent history.

I think it would be nice if the currently active KGS community could span Go servers, especially now that we're getting a few new and returning players (myself included).

I went ahead and created a server, so, if this is something you'd be interested in, join up. https://discord.gg/0u4xNK5cYwzkmxCG

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

Holy god the daily show has gotten so bad.

derp
Jan 21, 2010

Lipstick Apathy
could just hang out in ogs main english chat room, that one is pretty active. always have it open in a tab usually. just a pain to hop between chat rooms the way they have it formatted

sunaurus
Feb 13, 2012

Oh great, another bookah.
Discord is a great idea, I really like OGS more than KGS these days, but I miss the ITGO chat sometimes.

Overwined
Sep 22, 2008

sunaurus posted:

Discord is a great idea, I really like OGS more than KGS these days, but I miss the ITGO chat sometimes.

100% agree with this. Correspondence games are so cool and I'm shocked no other major Go Server has done them this well to this point. I do miss ITGO chat when I'm not on KGS though.

AdorableStar
Jul 13, 2013

Asleep Style
Oct 20, 2010

Can I get an invite to ITGO? I'm NuclearT on kgs. I followed along during the Lee Sedol - AlphaGo match, now I'm working on losing 100 games.

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

Could I also snag an invite? Truant27 is my username on KGS.

Coffee and learning to play Go on a Sunday is a good day.

nrook
Jun 25, 2009

Just let yourself become a worthless person!
The hardest part of playing Go online as a new player:

Staring at a mass of stones after the game is over, and trying to correctly identify dead groups that you knew were dead a minute ago.

mikeycp
Nov 24, 2010

I've changed a lot since I started hanging with Sonic, but I can't depend on him forever. I know I can do this by myself! Okay, Eggman! Bring it on!
Don't forget the discord room, you all!

https://discord.gg/0u4xNK5cYwzbLXdh

WuChou
Aug 28, 2002

Cosmic.

Added you guys

mycophobia
May 7, 2008
tfw you lose four games in a row -_-

WorldIndustries
Dec 21, 2004

mikeycp posted:

Don't forget the discord room, you all!

https://discord.gg/0u4xNK5cYwzbLXdh

The invitation expired, can you create or send it again?

mikeycp
Nov 24, 2010

I've changed a lot since I started hanging with Sonic, but I can't depend on him forever. I know I can do this by myself! Okay, Eggman! Bring it on!

Booyah- posted:

The invitation expired, can you create or send it again?

Here's another one. Whoever it is that actually owns the room should make a permanent one.

https://discord.gg/0u4xNK5cYx1QuCqC

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
Played my first 13x13 game today...not including komi I won 33-29 (it was sorta a teaching game; we chatted through a bunch of possibilities several times without committing) I feel pretty good about it.