Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
style / art gimmick combo you want to see next
This poll is closed.
Commodore 64 hi fi 16 colors Drawing goons drooling over anime (or muscle men) 35 20.71%
Everything in MSPaint Black and White and Undertale Characters 22 13.02%
CGA in CYMK tones and rising stars of gaming like Hololens and Star Citizen 36 21.30%
Only Purple and Waluigi and Kirby ship fiction 76 44.97%
Total: 169 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

Lady Naga posted:

Downpour is what a nu-metal fan thinks Silent Hill should be.

i thought the thing with lady cop having her own silent hill journey was clever

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord

corn in the bible posted:

nobody in the world liked homecoming though
Homecoming had its moments and I don't regret playing it, but yeah I wouldn't recommend it at all; and I'm someone who liked Origins and thinks Shattered Memories was a worthy successor to the original trilogy in its own way.

I still need to play through Downpour.

Lady Naga
Apr 25, 2008

Voyons Donc!

Snak posted:

That sounds really loving terrible.

The opening theme was literally performed by Korn and one of the original enemy concepts were a bunch of twisted clowns in prisoner uniforms.

i thought the thing with lady cop having her own silent hill journey was clever

In a different series or in a different context maybe but having to deal with people who seem to think Silent Hill is everyone's personal evil therapist for years made it incredibly stupid.

Lady Naga
Apr 25, 2008

Voyons Donc!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1PVEd0DR6DE
This is real. This was made for a Silent Hill game, approved, and then released.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

Lady Naga posted:

The opening theme was literally performed by Korn and one of the original enemy concepts were a bunch of twisted clowns in prisoner uniforms.

Wow.

Accordion Man posted:

I still need to play through Downpour.

Are you reading this thread? I don't think you do...

Lady Naga
Apr 25, 2008

Voyons Donc!
Also even the enemies that the game released with loving suck they're all weird MMA enthusiast monsters. That's not scary.

this guy? big kickboxing fan.

The game's own Pyramid Head (uggghghghhhh) is the 999 villain with a sledgehammer and he's literally named "boogeyman".

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

there are many stupid ideas in downpour but yeah the korn theme is a good way of telling the player that their experience is going to be retarded before it even begins. i think it has a few cool setpieces though which like i said is more than i can credit homecoming with

the orphanage stageplay is cool for example

Lady Naga
Apr 25, 2008

Voyons Donc!
Okay yeah wow talking about Homecoming's level design is just not fair that game was designed by people who think a cemetery should take up like 30% of a town.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

i also liked the weird carpentry minecart ride and some other things.

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

real talk tho the scariest game is system shock 2

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Lady Naga posted:

Okay yeah wow talking about Homecoming's level design is just not fair that game was designed by people who think a cemetery should take up like 30% of a town.

the funniest thing about homecoming to me is that the devs thought people would see the trucker from origins in the opening and be super happy to see him and psyched up that they remembered SILENT HILL LORE

also that they pull the IT WAS ALL A DREAM twist like twice but if you pause the game it lists your location as NIGHTMARE so, uh, good job

Lady Naga
Apr 25, 2008

Voyons Donc!

i also liked the weird carpentry minecart ride and some other things.

this is the goofiest and dumbest part of the game and also was stolen completely from Condemned

Downpour's minecart ride ends with a big spooky face yelling at you its a loving haunted house ride.

also that they pull the IT WAS ALL A DREAM twist like twice but if you pause the game it lists your location as NIGHTMARE so, uh, good job
This is technically incorrect, you find out the hospital at the beginning is a dream when you save the game and it lists your location as nightmare.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Lady Naga posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1PVEd0DR6DE
This is real. This was made for a Silent Hill game, approved, and then released.

The rest of the soundtrack by Daniel Licht was really good though

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003

Stux posted:

real talk tho the scariest game is system shock 2

And truth again. Good lord.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Lady Naga posted:

]
This is technically incorrect, you find out the hospital at the beginning is a dream when you save the game and it lists your location as nightmare.

but then they spring it on you later like it's some big twist. it is so dumb

Lady Naga
Apr 25, 2008

Voyons Donc!

Sakurazuka posted:

The rest of the soundtrack by Daniel Licht was really good though

Daniel Licht is a good composer and his score was pretty darn good. The game also has more than a few licensed tracks though and they're the most on the nose loving choices in the world.

Here Be Monsters posted:

Fell in the well
Church rang a bell
Priests they just tried to help but he went straight to hell
Lost in the flames, such a shame
Here be monsters again
Here be monsters again

but then they spring it on you later like it's some big twist. it is so dumb

Oh yeah for sure I just wanted to point out it was a slightly different dumb.

Instant Sunrise
Apr 12, 2007

The manger babies don't have feelings. You said it yourself.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Hey, it's that dog

Lady Naga
Apr 25, 2008

Voyons Donc!
WOOOOO-HOOOOOOOOOOOOOOA
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mALkd3DG6HA&t=1592s

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
Alien Isolation is loving terrifying.

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
I had a crazy, classic life
Exciting Lemon

Needs a bone that comes down for him to grab with his mouth and pull

Lady Naga
Apr 25, 2008

Voyons Donc!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d1nDafqdH9o

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

VideoGames posted:

And truth again. Good lord.

respawning enemies ramps the overall fear up so high for me. you lose any prospect of being safe at any time, because that area you just went through has been repopulated and also one of them is coming towards you from behind.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

bloodychill posted:

Needs a bone that comes down for him to grab with his mouth and pull

mira is a girl dog, bitch

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003

Stux posted:

respawning enemies ramps the overall fear up so high for me. you lose any prospect of being safe at any time, because that area you just went through has been repopulated and also one of them is coming towards you from behind.

Exactly. My best friend and I played it back in the day instead of HL and we were huddled around the old 15inch CRT with his awesome Altec Lansing speakers growing more and more terrified everytime we could hear the zombies calling "join us".

Good lord I still shudder when I see Xerxes face or "Remember citadel"!

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

it is both a monkey and a boombox

8-Bit Scholar posted:

Alien Isolation is loving terrifying.

It seems spooky but I've been very put off by the fact that it's apparently like a million hours long. I like my horror games short and sweet.

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
Exciting Lemon

mira is a girl dog, bitch

that dog does not have time to talk about its gender, it is trying to save the world using spaceship controls not designed for its species

Lady Naga
Apr 25, 2008

Voyons Donc!

bloodychill posted:

that dog does not have time to talk about its gender, it is trying to save the world using spaceship controls not designed for its species

uh

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer

bloodychill posted:

I know Silent Hill is supposed to be different for everyone that goes through it but this is ridiculous

Lady Naga
Apr 25, 2008

Voyons Donc!
nvm, Silent Hill got me kneejerkin' again

Remember the awful comic books!?

Lady Naga fucked around with this message at 21:31 on Mar 22, 2016

Ravane
Oct 23, 2010

by LadyAmbien

PantsBandit posted:

It seems spooky but I've been very put off by the fact that it's apparently like a million hours long. I like my horror games short and sweet.

It's about 20-40 hours I think. It's pretty great because there's definitely a risk reward system and the character crawls pretty fast for it not to be grueling. But any time you want to run, you know that's going to trigger the alien, so you better be sure you have something to counter the alien or a way to close the door before it gets you.

Golden Goat
Aug 2, 2012

Lady Naga posted:

nvm, Silent Hill got me kneejerkin' again

Remember the awful comic books!?

Barely cause the awful movie eclipsed them in general badness.

Lady Naga
Apr 25, 2008

Voyons Donc!

Golden Goat posted:

Barely cause the awful movie eclipsed them in general badness.

Ughhhh I really don't want to get into a debate about which is worse because they're both so bad and I can't figure out which I hate more.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

I didn't hate the movie, though Sean Bean was utterly pointless. The second one though :laugh:

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer
The movie is still the best video game movie, which says more about how bad video game movies are than anything else.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer
The second Silent Hill movie is probably the worst video game movie. Just complete loving garbage on every level.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

axleblaze posted:

The movie is still the best video game movie, which says more about how bad video game movies are than anything else.

That's actually Mortal Kombat

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
Exciting Lemon
The key to making a good video game movie is to not make it about an actual real video game, for example Edge of Tomorrow and Scott Pilgrim

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Unless we're counting anime in which case it's Street Fighter II the Movie, where Chun Li gets her tits out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lady Naga
Apr 25, 2008

Voyons Donc!
http://crossfade.io/#!/vogg516mgt

• Locked thread