Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold
Amy had a dog?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Asiina
Apr 26, 2011

No going back
Grimey Drawer

Raskolnikov38 posted:

Amy had a dog?

Henry!

brylcreem
Oct 29, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
The Portland Trip, S02E07.

The President has a meeting with somebody about subways. CJ enters, and at around 19.06 (I'm streaming, so it might be different from the DVD) she locks eyes with the guys aide and the aide looks really uncomfortable.

Why?! I have no idea who he is, he isn't in any previous scene, and the actor, Michael Cunio only has that one credit on The West Wing. It's driving me crazy every time I get to that episode.

Victor Vermis
Dec 21, 2004

WOKE UP IN THE DESERT AGAIN

brylcreem posted:

The Portland Trip, S02E07.

The President has a meeting with somebody about subways. CJ enters, and at around 19.06 (I'm streaming, so it might be different from the DVD) she locks eyes with the guys aide and the aide looks really uncomfortable.

Why?! I have no idea who he is, he isn't in any previous scene, and the actor, Michael Cunio only has that one credit on The West Wing. It's driving me crazy every time I get to that episode.

It's just a funny little detail.

CJ has to wear a goofy hat because she dissed Notre Dame or something.

She's probably gotten a lot of poo poo from the press about it is now just eye-loving anyone before they can look at her funny. The aide sheepishly looks down at his own feet.

Joe the Strummer
Jun 14, 2012

I just finished watching season 2 for the first time, and I was wondering, was there some kind of push to make season 2 sexier?

I'm just saying in season 2, Donna loses her panties and gets them mailed back to her, CJ falls into a pool, does an interview on TV with no pants (???) and I think Ainsley sits on a bench with wet paint and takes off her clothes I think? I took a couple months to watch this season so I don't remember too well, but I remember thinking these scenes were... jarring.

Still a good show though!

Caufman
May 7, 2007
Are we going to talk about the Bartlett daughters and not mention Liz, the tall drink of eminence grise?

TheBigBad
Feb 28, 2004

Madness is rare in individuals, but in groups, parties, nations and ages it is the rule.
She married a douche, wasted her life.

Caufman
May 7, 2007
She has two beautiful kids and is a caring mother :colbert:

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
richie aprile being a rabbi always freaks me out.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

LordPants posted:

richie aprile being a rabbi always freaks me out.

Seeing any Sopranos main actor in a non bad goal role is always freaky.

bubblegumbo0
Apr 24, 2008

我的機動戰士是個ヤンデレ!
It''s nostalgic seeing Charlie and Toby both in the same show again, even if it's a trashy show like Ballers.

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

I'm just saying, there's a nonzero chance Trump has a really toad penis.

Caufman posted:

Are we going to talk about the Bartlett daughters and not mention Liz, the tall drink of eminence grise?

Introduced in Season 5, which didn't actually happen

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

That elephant ate my entire platoon.

TheScott2K posted:

Introduced in Season 5, which didn't actually happen

I also retcon The Supremes and Shutdown into season four! :hf:

MisterDuck
Feb 27, 2013
Is there a reason Josh isn't given his NSC 'what to do when the nukes start falling' card until the second year of Bartlet's first term(I think that is when season one takes place)?

NorgLyle
Sep 20, 2002

Do you think I posted to this forum because I value your companionship?

MisterDuck posted:

Is there a reason Josh isn't given his NSC 'what to do when the nukes start falling' card until the second year of Bartlet's first term(I think that is when season one takes place)?
I always tell myself that's secretly a flashback episode and they accidentally cut off the bookend scenes where Josh is giving a similar card to a different staffer. Larry but not Ed, or something.

Asiina
Apr 26, 2011

No going back
Grimey Drawer
Season one takes place around 8 months in, since it pseudo happens in real time. So presumably he would have been sworn in in January and it's September of his first year.

Maybe they just took a while to get around to giving out the cards? That's bureaucracy for you.

TheBigBad
Feb 28, 2004

Madness is rare in individuals, but in groups, parties, nations and ages it is the rule.
I don't think he was deemed valuable enough to occupy the seat in the bunker until then. Leo is exceptionally pragmatic.

Heid the Ball
Nov 2, 2005
Gordon's ALIVE?!?!?
"Somebody's Going To Emergency, Someone's Going To Jail" is still my favourite episode of the whole series.

As a mostly self-contained episode, it is a masterpiece of TV writing.

The set-up of Sam being in a complete tailspin because of his father's long-term infidelity is achieved in a handful of lines at the start of the episode.

The meandering plot of his uncovering the truth about the Cold War spy, with great work from Nancy McNally & Mike Casper, culminates in the great scene with Donna on the stairwell. Sam's faith in people has been shaken, both on a personal level, and in how he views the wider world.

Sam: "It was high treason, and it mattered a great deal! This country is an idea, and one that's lit the world for two centuries and treason against that idea is not just a crime against the living! This ground holds the graves of people who died for it, who gave what Lincoln called the last full measure of devotion, of fidelity."

The B & C plot of Big Block of Cheese day is a great bit of light relief (as always), with Josh & CJ being a great double act meeting with the map geeks. I adore the sly nod that CJ gives Josh when the mapmakers say that people associate size with power and importance.

Toby has a great day too, with him able to be the curmudgeon who also happens to be sympathetic and right. His interplay with the cop bodyguard is hilarious.

Toby: "Fire your gun"
Cop: "I can't fire a warning shot indoors"
Toby: "No, fire at them"

The narrative threads tie up perfectly at the end of the episode, Sam realises he has to speak to his father, CJ has (another) epiphany after BBoC Day, and Toby reconnects with his activist past while still remaining a realist.

The storytelling is enhanced further by the fact that it's not forced drama or an inspiring speech by the President that completes the narrative arc for each of the main characters. Donna Moss, some sincere map nerds & an honest beat cop are responsible for bringing the characters back down to earth after a day where their beliefs or attitudes have been thrown into disarray.

While the episode is relatively self-contained, it's interesting that the characters are challenged like this, just ahead of the MS storyline that shakes everything up for the season finale.

GaussianCopula
Jun 5, 2011
Jews fleeing the Holocaust are not in any way comparable to North Africans, who don't flee genocide but want to enjoy the social welfare systems of Northern Europe.
Not like one needs a reason to rewatch The West Wing, but here is one anyway. New episodes will be online every Wednesday

https://twitter.com/JoshMalina/status/709865028753575937

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

GaussianCopula posted:

Not like one needs a reason to rewatch The West Wing, but here is one anyway. New episodes will be online every Wednesday

Yesssssssssss. Subscribed.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

X-O posted:

Every time this thread is bumped I'm hopeful for a blu-ray release. Every time I'm sad.

Sigh.

GaussianCopula posted:

OK, a little less sad now.

Hoops
Aug 19, 2005

A Black Mark For Retarded Posting
The first and second seasons would insanely poo poo on Blu-Ray. Late 90s set lighting is only bareable with a fuzzier picture.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Hoops posted:

The first and second seasons would insanely poo poo on Blu-Ray. Late 90s set lighting is only bareable with a fuzzier picture.

Eh, they looked just fine on Amazon back they had them on Prime. Way better than the DVDs.

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

You are being watched. :allears:
Wait, someone please explain. New episodes? Is the gang getting back together?

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

WarLocke posted:

What? No. Josh Malina is doing a podcast about the show.

GaussianCopula
Jun 5, 2011
Jews fleeing the Holocaust are not in any way comparable to North Africans, who don't flee genocide but want to enjoy the social welfare systems of Northern Europe.

WarLocke posted:

No, Joshua Malina is hosting a West Wing episode discussion podcast that will talk about one episode per week, starting tomorrow.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

There's a mini episode (1 min long) called Cold Open out. In it, he says he'll be getting guest stars, like cast members and writers for the show, to talk about the show as well.

I wonder how the tone of the podcast will change for the late season 4 episodes, or the season 5 episodes. Either way, I can't wait. This is so my thing.

GaussianCopula
Jun 5, 2011

thrawn527 posted:

There's a mini episode (1 min long) called Cold Open out. In it, he says he'll be getting guest stars, like cast members and writers for the show, to talk about the show as well.

I wonder how the tone of the podcast will change for the late season 4 episodes, or the season 5 episodes. Either way, I can't wait. This is so my thing.

Only ~2 years to find out.

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

You are being watched. :allears:

X-O posted:

What? No. Josh Malina is doing a podcast about the show.

Oh. :negative:

Still gonna listen to it.

thexerox123
Aug 17, 2007

When I first heard about the podcast, my first thought was that I hoped Kevin T. Porter from the Gilmore Guys podcast was hosting it, because he's a huge West Wing fan and has talked about seriously considering starting a West Wing podcast multiple times.... but as soon as I saw that it's Joshua Malina and Hrishikesh Hirway, I found it hard to be too upset about him not being involved. At least Kevin will undoubtedly be a guest on it sometime, since Hrishikesh has been a guest on Gilmore Guys a couple of times.

Asiina
Apr 26, 2011

No going back
Grimey Drawer
I'm so excited for this and hope it will be like the commentary tracks we never got because seriously I'm still angry over how terrible those were.

ninjahedgehog
Feb 17, 2011

It's time to kick the tires and light the fires, Big Bird.

Asiina posted:

I'm so excited for this and hope it will be like the commentary tracks we never got because seriously I'm still angry over how terrible those were.

Care to elaborate? I've always thought about listening to those, but then I decide I'd rather just watch the episodes proper.

Asiina
Apr 26, 2011

No going back
Grimey Drawer

ninjahedgehog posted:

Care to elaborate? I've always thought about listening to those, but then I decide I'd rather just watch the episodes proper.

There's only 4 or 5 per season (and none for the last season) and they are just not interesting. It's all Aaron Sorkin, Tommy Schlamme, and maybe one other random person congratulating each other on how good the show is, how funny the dialogue is, how well that shot worked. There's no real stories or interesting tidbits about production or the cast or the writing like you expect with a commentary track. It's just incredibly dull like they have nothing to say.

TheBigBad
Feb 28, 2004

Asiina posted:

There's only 4 or 5 per season (and none for the last season) and they are just not interesting. It's all Aaron Sorkin, Tommy Schlamme, and maybe one other random person congratulating each other on how good the show is, how funny the dialogue is, how well that shot worked. There's no real stories or interesting tidbits about production or the cast or the writing like you expect with a commentary track. It's just incredibly dull like they have nothing to say.

That's because it's all on the screen already.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
I guess not every show can have as good and in depth commentary tracks as the Simpsons.

Asiina
Apr 26, 2011

No going back
Grimey Drawer

LordPants posted:

I guess not every show can have as good and in depth commentary tracks as the Simpsons.

I've been spoiled by their amazing commentaries. I always thought the idea of commentaries was dumb until I listened to a few Simpsons ones and they tell the greatest stories about what it's like the make the show and the development of characters and jokes, how their ideas evolved over time. It really feels like they are proud of their work and want to talk about everything that went into it, and that enthusiasm is very appealing.

Then you get 2-3 people talking over a random assortment of episodes going "oh yeah that was a great bit of dialogue there." "I really liked the way the camera moved here." It's all very self-congratulatory and not about sharing the experience with those who weren't there. The mot interesting thing I remember them talking about was that it wasn't a big set, but many little sets so you'd have doors that'd lead to nowhere and so mid-speech you'd have them go in a door and then come out somewhere entirely unrelated to finish their sentence. That was the only really interesting fact, and even that is not all that surprising if you know literally anything about how things are usually filmed.

ninjahedgehog
Feb 17, 2011

It's time to kick the tires and light the fires, Big Bird.

I remember the LOTR expanded box set had a really weird cast commentary. Only the hobbits and Orlando Bloom (I think) were actually in the room together watching the film, but everyone else had anecdotes pulled from interviews they did. The sound quality is such that you don't realize that's actually happening until someone points it out, and the stories honestly aren't bad, except for when Ian McKellan or John Rhys-Davies or Christopher Lee begin to pipe up and it's some intensely boring drawl about the "brotherhood of acting" or some poo poo and you're begging the audio guy to cut back to the hobbits, who are actually having fun and telling good stories and funny jokes.

EDIT: The worst commentary I've ever seen was The Rock, which was just Michael Bay, and he comes across as the smuggest douche on the planet. You know those people who only ever share stories where they're the hero? Yeah, Michael Bay is one of those assholes.

EDIT 2: Holy crap, I forgot how hilarious the LOTR commentary can be:

[As Aragorn sings during his coronation]
BILLY: What's he singing about here?
DOM: This was his Christmas #1 when he was about 19. It's a slowed down version of Dirty by Christina Aguilera done in old language speech.

ninjahedgehog fucked around with this message at 04:49 on Mar 23, 2016

NorgLyle
Sep 20, 2002

Do you think I posted to this forum because I value your companionship?

Asiina posted:

I've been spoiled by their amazing commentaries. I always thought the idea of commentaries was dumb until I listened to a few Simpsons ones and they tell the greatest stories about what it's like the make the show and the development of characters and jokes, how their ideas evolved over time. It really feels like they are proud of their work and want to talk about everything that went into it, and that enthusiasm is very appealing.
My favorite bit of (non-West Wing) commentary synchronicity comes from The Simpsons and Seinfeld; both shows featured the late Lawrence Tierney as a guest star for an episode (playing Elaine's father and store security guard Don Brodka) and he apparently independently terrified the people behind the camera on both shows.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Simpsons is my favourite, but I have a special love for the Sum of All Fears commentary which is Tom Clancy and the Director of film, and it's just Tom making GBS threads on the film and being more and more of a dick to the Director as it goes on.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

ninjahedgehog posted:

I remember the LOTR expanded box set had a really weird cast commentary. Only the hobbits and Orlando Bloom (I think) were actually in the room together watching the film, but everyone else had anecdotes pulled from interviews they did. The sound quality is such that you don't realize that's actually happening until someone points it out, and the stories honestly aren't bad, except for when Ian McKellan or John Rhys-Davies or Christopher Lee begin to pipe up and it's some intensely boring drawl about the "brotherhood of acting" or some poo poo and you're begging the audio guy to cut back to the hobbits, who are actually having fun and telling good stories and funny jokes.

EDIT: The worst commentary I've ever seen was The Rock, which was just Michael Bay, and he comes across as the smuggest douche on the planet. You know those people who only ever share stories where they're the hero? Yeah, Michael Bay is one of those assholes.

EDIT 2: Holy crap, I forgot how hilarious the LOTR commentary can be:

[As Aragorn sings during his coronation]
BILLY: What's he singing about here?
DOM: This was his Christmas #1 when he was about 19. It's a slowed down version of Dirty by Christina Aguilera done in old language speech.

LOTR has 4 commentary tracks per movie and it's loving glorious.

• Locked thread