Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
FronzelNeekburm
Jun 1, 2001

STOP, MORTTIME

LumberingTroll posted:

Not that I recall. They added a feature where you can look at a settler and see what they are assigned to, but you have to go to them in person.
They called it a "menu" in the patch notes, but yeah, it's just that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wrr
Aug 8, 2010

SneakyFrog posted:

Is it comically huge?

Can it please be?

I don't see why not! Here, two different flavors:

"Don't ever tenderize with me or my son again"

Anyways that's a model with only AO, Normals and a base texture on. I need to go back in and make the materials more wooden / steely, maybe had a wrap around the handle or some good wood grain? I'm not sure if the wood grain would be better to do with normals or what. Also I don't know how to make materials or good textures yet. Learning! Working! Accepting tips and suggestions.

If I model a screw on the side of the head, as if it were holding the handle in place, would that be best accomplished by adding it to the high poly version and then normal'd onto the head?

Dark_Swordmaster
Oct 31, 2011
Yes, most fine details are best normal maps rather than actually modeled but in this case you might get away with it. The wood grain ought to be easy IN BLENDER as there's a wood noise shader you can add and tweak. No idea if you can export it as a UV map. Blender also added sculpting/painting support but I've never tried either.

Look at polycounts for other weapons and see what your budget is, you might be able to make an actual screw in it so it looks even better. Never actually ported an asset into a game so I don't know about making sure the mesh and textures line up and such. Makin' good work so far though.

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches

Wrr posted:

Anyways that's a model with only AO, Normals and a base texture on. I need to go back in and make the materials more wooden / steely, maybe had a wrap around the handle or some good wood grain? I'm not sure if the wood grain would be better to do with normals or what. Also I don't know how to make materials or good textures yet. Learning! Working! Accepting tips and suggestions.

If I model a screw on the side of the head, as if it were holding the handle in place, would that be best accomplished by adding it to the high poly version and then normal'd onto the head?

Amazing.

:neckbeard:

staberind
Feb 20, 2008

but i dont wanna be a spaceship
Fun Shoe

Wrr posted:

Thats pretty awesome, I'd suggest griming it up a bit and using normals for pitting, screws and wood grain

Wrr
Aug 8, 2010

Thank you! This is pretty much the first feedback I've got on these models. I for sure want to add all those little details and whatnot to the model. I was thinking of also doing a bandage wrap around the handle with a bezier curve, but, I have no clue how to do any of that stuff yet or how to do really good pitting and scratches. It'll come with time and practice I'm sure.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.
That would be a good idea. The thing might get a little slippery with all the murder it'd be doing.

Dark_Swordmaster
Oct 31, 2011
Bandage or cloth wrapping is probably thin enough to use normals. A foam/rubber grip would probably be modeled on.

This is the [Bethesda] modding thread so recommending a lovely website for surprisingly great things is okay.

DeviantArt actually has a WEALTH of Photoshop (Gimp) tutorials that may help you add gross this-has-been-used textures to your hammer/mallet. They probably won't be for actual 3D but you can probably tweak and adapt some of their techniques for what you're doing.

The Insect Court
Nov 22, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Any mods that fix the tendency of the late game to wind up a cakewalk as you slaughter your way through everything? Preferably something that doesn't just turn every enemy into a bullet sponge.

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

probably one of the ones that makes sure you don't become a bullet sponge either

LumberingTroll
Sep 9, 2007

Really it's not because
I don't like you...

The Insect Court posted:

Any mods that fix the tendency of the late game to wind up a cakewalk as you slaughter your way through everything? Preferably something that doesn't just turn every enemy into a bullet sponge.

Until the new surviavl mode comes out just use survival rebalance, make it so the player and the enemies do 200 - 300% damage. For a tough game, I like 300% things die early, but as they start getting higher level the last a bit longer but you always can die if you play carelessly or overextend. NPC level in this simply means more health, and equipment variety.

Xenoid
Dec 9, 2006

The Insect Court posted:

http://www.nexusmods.com/fallout4/mods/6473/

This plus the one above can give you a lot of adjustment.

Saint Sputnik
Apr 1, 2007

Tyrannosaurs in P-51 Volkswagens!
Just uploaded Delta Wasteland Radio, give it a shot and tell me what you like/hate/what doesn't work.
http://www.nexusmods.com/fallout4/mods/11087/

I had wanted to do a radio station full of old blues songs as part of my unfinished Route 66 mod for New Vegas (actually I implemented the station, but it was part of the full esp so it couldn't be released on its own), so I took some of those and added a bunch of more artists from the 1920s-1930s (Leadbelly, Memphis Minnie, etc). There are 36 songs and four station ID segments by a robot.

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe
Downloaded the AS Vektor last night.

For a weapon that's alleged to have fantastic recoil control, the kick on this thing (even with recoil-mitigating mods) is greater than hip-firing a sniper rifle. I really don't feel like it's working properly.

Pvt.Scott
Feb 16, 2007

What God wants, God gets, God help us all
When is that survival mode patch supposed to be out?

Wrr
Aug 8, 2010

Deified Data posted:

Downloaded the AS Vektor last night.

For a weapon that's alleged to have fantastic recoil control, the kick on this thing (even with recoil-mitigating mods) is greater than hip-firing a sniper rifle. I really don't feel like it's working properly.

The Vektor is one of my favorite crazy-space guns. The pistol version just looks like something that fell out of Mass Effect. However my one true love will always be the AS VAL. It's just too bad the Vektor doesn't jive super well with the Fallout aesthetic. Attachment rails are forbidden; take them off, make the gun shoot lasers. THAT'S a Fallout gun.

Edit-

What are your opinions on Player Character dialogue in mods? Should the modder write out whole sentences for the PC, or stick with the short snippet that is default? I was originally learning towards the full sentence but if the only option was the short snippet, and it never showed a full line (I'm assuming no custom PC VA) the player could imagine their dialogue based on the response. Might be better for ~immersion~ but also might be confusing. Thoughts?

Wrr fucked around with this message at 02:19 on Mar 22, 2016

LumberingTroll
Sep 9, 2007

Really it's not because
I don't like you...

Pvt.Scott posted:

When is that survival mode patch supposed to be out?

I dunno, that is what I am waiting on to play more though.

7seven7
May 19, 2006

I barfed because you looked in my eyes!
I did a fresh install and started my mod collection from scratch last week. I'm currently running 64 mods and the game's pretty stable (apart from huge stuttering and the occasional crash when I pick up a power conduit, which I attribute to this mod). But of all the gargantuan and game-changing mods I'm running, the one I miss the most is a little clock that shows up with the real world time during loading screens. I can't seem to find it on the nexus this time round. Does anyone have a link handy?

Cirosan
Jan 3, 2012

Full Dialogue Interface has been updated to support the Automatron DLC.

And thus begins the cycle of buying DLC for a game you don't like to support a mod.

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames
Wasn't there supposed to be console mod support for this game, or was I dreaming?

strong bird
May 12, 2009

Bogart posted:

Wasn't there supposed to be console mod support for this game, or was I dreaming?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2_JTzEppKy8

Raygereio
Nov 12, 2012

Bogart posted:

The FO4 Creation Kit is supposed to arrive somewhere in April. Presumably console mod support will happen at the same time or shortly afterwards.

Veotax
May 16, 2006

Bogart posted:

There isn't even official PC mod support yet. It's probably not going to come to consoles for a while.

Police Automaton
Mar 17, 2009
"You are standing in a thread. Someone has made an insightful post."
LOOK AT insightful post
"It's a pretty good post."
HATE post
"I don't understand"
SHIT ON post
"You shit on the post. Why."
Are there any mods which are absolutely essential to have because they fix outright bugs the game has? Something like the harvesting bug in Skyrim for example? I want to give the game another go with the new DLC.

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich
What the way to actually install Full Dialog Options manually? The readme included with it just says "dump all the folders in the data folder" but that won't work since it has multiple versions of the mod within. Shame the FOMOD version is tied to NMM which I rather avoid using.

Nevermind I found the old files from last time I played and just copied them over and updated what I had.

By the way, is there a music mod yet? At least one that restores the Classic Music Station?

Rirse fucked around with this message at 18:49 on Mar 22, 2016

Renounced
Nov 8, 2005

POSTING ON THE INTERNET

Police Automaton posted:

Are there any mods which are absolutely essential to have because they fix outright bugs the game has? Something like the harvesting bug in Skyrim for example? I want to give the game another go with the new DLC.

Unfortunately no, nothing like the extent of what you may be looking for exists. Though it may be as soon as late April that it will, assuming the GECK hasn't been handicapped to accommodate consoles.

Dark_Swordmaster
Oct 31, 2011

Rirse posted:

By the way, is there a music mod yet? At least one that restores the Classic Music Station?

Saint Sputnik posted his own radio mod further up this very page! I haven't used it (or even played since two weeks after launch!) so you'll have to let us (and him) know!

Saint Sputnik
Apr 1, 2007

Dark_Swordmaster posted:

Saint Sputnik posted his own radio mod further up this very page! I haven't used it (or even played since two weeks after launch!) so you'll have to let us (and him) know!

Old World Radio has a huge selection and I think one of the stations brings back classical. Mine is just a handful of old blues songs I like, but someone else just published a blues station with 100 songs and there's probably enough overlap to make me obsolete.

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
Haven't the giant bugfix mods tended to be more trouble than they're worth? I remember the FO3 one being necessary but even as soon as NV they tended to add more issues than they changed.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:

flatluigi posted:

Haven't the giant bugfix mods tended to be more trouble than they're worth? I remember the FO3 one being necessary but even as soon as NV they tended to add more issues than they changed.

No? For Skyrim the unofficial Skyrim patches are highly regarded, and required for a lot of mods. Since Fallout 4 and Skyrim are siblings....

Renounced
Nov 8, 2005

POSTING ON THE INTERNET

flatluigi posted:

Only way to know is to try them. Personally never had an issue; they definitely reduced stuttering and other ridiculous problems that always ship with Bethesda games.

Raygereio
Nov 12, 2012

flatluigi posted:

It's depends on whether whoever is making it restricts themselves to bugfixes and knows what they're doing.
Bugfix mods for New Vegas have gotten a bit of bad name thanks to projects like the "Community Bugfix Compilation Patch" which was a project that died fairly quickly. It did fix some stuff, but also introduced a boatload of new bugs. There's also stuff like Mission Mojave and NVEC which presented themselves as bugfixes, but in addition to being based of the aforementioned craptastic CBCP, also had ridiculous non-bugfix features. I think both MM & NVEC have gotten better now, but they were poo poo when they were first released.
There is a solid bugfix mod for New Vegas in form of Yukichigai Unofficial Patch.

I'm pretty sure the team who's planning to start on the FO4 Unofficial Patch as soon as the Creation Kit is released is the same as the people working on Skyrim's Unofficial Patch. Which, aside from some silly stuff like that dragon voice thing and that one time where they had an update with some really bad code that could brake savegames, worked fine.

Police Automaton
Mar 17, 2009
"You are standing in a thread. Someone has made an insightful post."
LOOK AT insightful post
"It's a pretty good post."
HATE post
"I don't understand"
SHIT ON post
"You shit on the post. Why."
Yes, sadly the pure bugfix stuff often ends up in some weird wikipedia-esque edit obsession realm where they do silly things like change child hair colors to match those of parent NPCs etc.. I was more asking for small and simple bugfix mods. If I'm honest I didn't really play the game much yet and before returning to it was just wondering if there are any really gamebreaking things that are fixed by some simple edit but somehow don't end up going in an official patch, as we all know can happen with bethesda games. Apparently there aren't. Thanks though!

Brainamp
Sep 4, 2011

More Zen than Zenyatta

What is your avatar from? It's driving me nuts.

Police Automaton posted:

Yes, sadly the pure bugfix stuff often ends up in some weird wikipedia-esque edit obsession realm where they do silly things like change child hair colors to match those of parent NPCs etc.. I was more asking for small and simple bugfix mods. If I'm honest I didn't really play the game much yet and before returning to it was just wondering if there are any really gamebreaking things that are fixed by some simple edit but somehow don't end up going in an official patch, as we all know can happen with bethesda games. Apparently there aren't. Thanks though!

The lack of the GECK for now kinda stifles what's possible for modders to accomplish easily. There will definitely be a surplus of fix mods once that drops.

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

What's been done without the GECK so far is pretty drat impressive considering it's basically just script changes as far as I can tell.

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich
Tried your radio mod, Saint Sputnik. I really like it a lot. So glad to have something to listen to again besides Diamond City Radio, since I blew up the Institute.

Renounced
Nov 8, 2005

POSTING ON THE INTERNET

Funky Valentine posted:

What's been done without the GECK so far is pretty drat impressive considering it's basically just script changes as far as I can tell.

My only hope for the GECK is that it somehow manages to let people fix settlement building near fixed objects because I am so god drat done trying to get my poo poo to line up in Hangmans Alley and building on uneven ground in Sanctuary. Or if Bethesda would just make it not rear end somehow I'd be okay with that too.

Automatron Ending Issue Note: Once you guys finish the Automatron story missions you might need to fast-travel home. You can fast travel out of the lair, you don't need to go outside. It isn't a problem with one of the mods, apparently, as a lot of people are reporting the same issue. Somethings just bugged out with the cell in the area after the story-things happen and it will not load. It will also crash if you try to fast-travel back there or walk to the area (but I haven't confirmed the latter myself).

More information here, on reddit but also probably spoilers: https://www.reddit.com/r/fo4/comments/4bhyg5/game_breaking_bug_automatron_void_of_ctd_doom/. Hope that saves you some headaches in case you weren't aware like I was trying to track down the bad mod for over half an hour.

Brainamp posted:

What is your avatar from? It's driving me nuts.

The lack of the GECK for now kinda stifles what's possible for modders to accomplish easily. There will definitely be a surplus of fix mods once that drops.

This stupid youtube movie:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pZ10lwZYtM0&t=57s

Saint Sputnik
Apr 1, 2007

Rirse posted:

Tried your radio mod, Saint Sputnik. I really like it a lot. So glad to have something to listen to again besides Diamond City Radio, since I blew up the Institute.

Thanks! Someone caught a goof I made with the original file that prevented some of the songs from playing so I hope you got the fixed version.

Funky Valentine posted:

Turns out you can do a lot with the FO4Edit program, and it's as simple as changing or adding some text fields. I've only come across two mods that use scripts, one that adds a sleeping bag and one that kind of works as an alternate start mod but is kind of poo poo.

Wrr
Aug 8, 2010

I really want to get my hands on the GECK but I also really want to get my hands on some workflow guide that actually includes everything and is up-to-date. Also, is nifscripts dead? It seems like the last posts on their forums is all from 2014~. I'm trying to get my hands on a copy of 3ds Max because I hear that has some .nif plugins, and maybe I can use that to import the nifs and then export them as a bender friendly format and then do my work in blender and then export them back to 3ds max and then eventually to Fallout :shepicide:

Also looking for where to actually download the nifscripts at all. Either I'm a complete idiot or I'm getting caught in some sort of re-direct loop between their website and source forge.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Laura-4-Lyfe
Oct 14, 2005

Wrr posted:

I really want to get my hands on the GECK but I also really want to get my hands on some workflow guide that actually includes everything and is up-to-date. Also, is nifscripts dead? It seems like the last posts on their forums is all from 2014~. I'm trying to get my hands on a copy of 3ds Max because I hear that has some .nif plugins, and maybe I can use that to import the nifs and then export them as a bender friendly format and then do my work in blender and then export them back to 3ds max and then eventually to Fallout :shepicide:

Also looking for where to actually download the nifscripts at all. Either I'm a complete idiot or I'm getting caught in some sort of re-direct loop between their website and source forge.

https://github.com/niftools/blender_nif_plugin
I have tried multiple versions of Blender with multiple NIF plugins and can not get it to work. I don't want to discourage you because your stuff is cool but I switched to 3ds Max and had a model in game within the hour. I've also had success modifying in game meshes as well.

Here is a .44 receiver with a 10mm barrel. It was clipping so I edited the 10mm barrel mesh is 3ds.

• Locked thread