Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
style / art gimmick combo you want to see next
This poll is closed.
Commodore 64 hi fi 16 colors Drawing goons drooling over anime (or muscle men) 35 20.71%
Everything in MSPaint Black and White and Undertale Characters 22 13.02%
CGA in CYMK tones and rising stars of gaming like Hololens and Star Citizen 36 21.30%
Only Purple and Waluigi and Kirby ship fiction 76 44.97%
Total: 169 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003
Super Mario Brothers is the best video game movie because it is filled to the brim with detail, but so absolutely crazy divergent from the basic story. It's just all round awesome!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
^^^^ While I don't disagree with that premise, the movie is ruined by terrible performances, a bad script, and tonal issues galore.

PantsBandit posted:

It seems spooky but I've been very put off by the fact that it's apparently like a million hours long. I like my horror games short and sweet.

I wouldn't say it's that long, to be honest. It's about ten hours or so, which seems a good length for a AAA full price title. You get quite a few different locations to explore to get away from the Alien, and they spice up backtracking by introducing new enemy arrangements in old areas. I never felt like the game was "too long" until about an hour before the end, and at that point it was mostly 'cause the stealth stuff had fallen away and I was actually using guns and explosives and the game felt like it was building up a big climax.

The act of playing the game in and of itself is great, and they have a built-in survival mode if you don't want to deal with the campaign at all.

8-Bit Scholar fucked around with this message at 21:49 on Mar 22, 2016

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
I had a crazy, classic life
Exciting Lemon

VideoGames posted:

Super Mario Brothers is the best video game movie because it is filled to the brim with detail, but so absolutely crazy divergent from the basic story. It's just all round awesome!

100% agreed. It was insane and stupid and I loved it.

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

My fave vide game movie is MGS4
LOL

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica

corn in the bible posted:

also that they pull the IT WAS ALL A DREAM twist like twice but if you pause the game it lists your location as NIGHTMARE so, uh, good job

I get the feeling that there was some last-minute meddling with the intro because the intro level is a hospital but later in the game when you're in an actual hospital the dark world is a mine (which was a pretty cool level, admittedly) and the boss you fight at the end of the mine level was shown in the hospital setting in promo screenshots.

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

it is both a monkey and a boombox

8-Bit Scholar posted:

I wouldn't say it's that long, to be honest. It's about ten hours or so, which seems a good length for a AAA full price title.

Hmm...

Ravane posted:

It's about 20-40 hours I think.

HMMMMMM......

Lady Naga
Apr 25, 2008

Voyons Donc!
I know people like to poop on MGS4 but that cutscene where they all go to arrest Liquid Ocelot and he does the "bang bang bang!!" thing loving 0wned when I first played it.

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

PantsBandit posted:

Hmm...

HMMMMMM......

It's 20-40 hours if you suck at video games I guess. Lol, you'll either have given up or beaten it before then. The game is challenging!

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

There's no way Isolation is only 10 hours, it's 20 at least.

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

axleblaze posted:

The movie is still the best video game movie, which says more about how bad video game movies are than anything else.

looks like someone forgot the street fighter movie exists and is absolutely loving incredible

Ravane
Oct 23, 2010

by LadyAmbien

PantsBandit posted:

Hmm...

HMMMMMM......

I'm a slow player though, I thought it was pretty long and I'm not very good at video games in general.

Dr Cheeto
Mar 2, 2013
Wretched Harp

Stux posted:

looks like someone forgot the street fighter movie exists and is absolutely loving incredible

The role Jean-Claude Van Damme was born to play IMO.

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

Sakurazuka posted:

There's no way Isolation is only 10 hours, it's 20 at least.

It's definitely less than 20. It may be a bit longer than 10, but a lot of that length is exploring, which you can do at your own pace. If you just focus on doing objectives and use your map a lot, the game's not all that long. Again, I never felt the length was particularly problematic at all.

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

Lady Naga posted:

I know people like to poop on MGS4 but that cutscene where they all go to arrest Liquid Ocelot and he does the "bang bang bang!!" thing loving 0wned when I first played it.

Sure, but you can just look up the gif and save dozens of hours

Lady Naga
Apr 25, 2008

Voyons Donc!

Jay Rust posted:

Sure, but you can just look up the gif and save dozens of hours

I meant the whole cutscene it was really good

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
Every cutscene in MGS4 goes on way too loving long.

Everyone talks so goddamn much. gently caress you Drebin.

Golden Goat
Aug 2, 2012

There's a ton of good MGS4 cutscenes mainly cause so much of the game is cutscenes.

Some really good gameplay wedged between there too.

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord

Sleeveless posted:

I get the feeling that there was some last-minute meddling with the intro because the intro level is a hospital but later in the game when you're in an actual hospital the dark world is a mine (which was a pretty cool level, admittedly) and the boss you fight at the end of the mine level was shown in the hospital setting in promo screenshots.
Alex's brother was originally going to have a DBZ battle with Alessa over the town.

I'm not joking.

Nasgate
Jun 7, 2011

Stux posted:

Agreed

Re:Mgs4 at least the cutscenes are all skipable. I beat that game in like 2.5 hours by skipping every cutscene.

Re:horror games. I can't play them, while I can watch a dumbass in a movie make a stupid decision to keep the action going, I cannot make those stupid decisions myself.

Golden Goat
Aug 2, 2012

I like the Resident Evil films cause they're super dumb.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

Accordion Man posted:

Alex's brother was originally going to have a DBZ battle with Alessa over the town.

I'm not joking.

Would have been better than the real ending

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

The dude they got to play Wesker in the last couple of movies owns

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

i even liked silent hill downpour

nobody in the world liked homecoming though

The greatest part of Downpour is when you're in the radio station and the DJ is trying to tell you about something horrible going on and just as it gets interesting and engaging for the first time in the game, a bunch of comical monsters burst in to interrupt the conversation.

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord
Downpour has like the worst monster design in the series by far.

Lady Naga
Apr 25, 2008

Voyons Donc!

Lurdiak posted:

The greatest part of Downpour is when you're in the radio station and the DJ is trying to tell you about something horrible going on and just as it gets interesting and engaging for the first time in the game, a bunch of comical monsters burst in to interrupt the conversation.

The greater part is that absolutely nothing he says is ever explained or mentioned again.

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

I don't think I'm enjoying Superhot. My bullets keep missing and the plot isn't as smart as it thinks it is

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!
SHD is the best Suffering sequel ever

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord

God did the actual Suffering 2 suck poo poo.

The Suffering 1 is a really good game though.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

It was better than the actual The Suffering sequel I guess

Lady Naga
Apr 25, 2008

Voyons Donc!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TKdzVx6cHMc

Dr Cheeto
Mar 2, 2013
Wretched Harp
I'm getting the feeling that you don't actually like Downpour at all, and you're using the word "greatest" sarcastically!

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

it is both a monkey and a boombox

Jay Rust posted:

I don't think I'm enjoying Superhot. My bullets keep missing and the plot isn't as smart as it thinks it is

The plot is dumb af but to your other point: git gud

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Dr Cheeto posted:

I'm getting the feeling that you don't actually like Downpour at all, and you're using the word "greatest" sarcastically!

I prefer it to Homecoming, Origins and Book of Shadows

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

Stux posted:

For a while a year ago I watched VGCW religiously. It made me smile every time when Bison came out and chat exploded with "TUESDAY" and the like

It might have been objectively kind of a lovely movie but kid me loved it and I'm keeping those rose tinted glasses, god drat it

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
I had no idea that Superhot would even have a plot.

Lady Naga
Apr 25, 2008

Voyons Donc!
Downpour also has some of the most rear end controls ever: including putting a "throw your weapon away" button on a super-sensitive trigger (so even just lightly resting your finger on l2 means that your weapon goes flying across the map) and a manual aim mode that is completely useless as the quickfire button's autoaim overcompensates like crazy.

Also in Downpour occasionally when you're walking around the town a group of monsters will roll right up next to you in a stolen cop car and get out to start beating you down and it's super loving funny.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Jay Rust posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tN40oXf8Wu8

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica

Would have been better than the real ending

The pregnant mechanical spider mom final boss that we got was pretty cool, at least.

tap my mountain
Jan 1, 2009

I'm the quick and the deadly

Jay Rust posted:

Just because time is stopped doesn't mean your bullets are instant, you have to lead your targets pretty heavily if they are moving.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

No way!!

• Locked thread