Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

LITERALLY A BIRD
Sep 27, 2008

I knew you were trouble
when you flew in

Look at this video of cockatoos making tools :buddy:

http://www.zoo.ox.ac.uk/group/kacelnik/goffin_cockatoos_tool_making.mov

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BOOTY-ADE
Aug 30, 2006

BIG KOOL TELLIN' Y'ALL TO KEEP IT TIGHT

Tendai posted:

I'd be way more likely to support a dictator if they had a crest and cute orange cheek patches, gotta be honest here.

Saw this elsewhere and every time I see it I start laughing so much I just let it go on repeat:

https://i.imgur.com/zjy1WRI.webm

"Birb Salad - so simple, it practically prepares itself!"

CROWS EVERYWHERE
Dec 17, 2012

CAW CAW CAW

Dinosaur Gum

Ozz81 posted:

"Birb Salad - so simple, it practically prepares itself!"

There were a lot of parrot-based dishes during the Depression and the wars, but I don't think they were quite like this

Trebuchet King
Jul 5, 2005

This post...

...is a
WORK OF FICTION!!

I like the way the last one looks up at the camera after freeing the treat but before eating it. "I did it!"

CROWS EVERYWHERE
Dec 17, 2012

CAW CAW CAW

Dinosaur Gum
Toast has decided he loves grapes, but only if I chew them up first and fed them to him by mouth like he's a baby birb

CROWS EVERYWHERE
Dec 17, 2012

CAW CAW CAW

Dinosaur Gum
Toast helps me shitpost

Preparing to feed his fat pink baby (looks suspiciously like a thumb)

e: You can't really see in these pictures, but on his back (above his blue butt) and on his tail he's getting a lot greener.

greypearl
Jul 26, 2007
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

Pearl doesn't look at all like she's plotting something, but that's a filthy lie because she totally just took a bite out of that steak.

Also all of my friends on Facebook are forwarding me this article from the NY Times, which is particularly relevant here because they request cute videos of parrots at the end of the article. If there's one thing I know for certain it's that you all have cute videos of parrots.

underage at the vape shop
May 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747

Finally a new toy hes not scared off

underage at the vape shop fucked around with this message at 07:56 on Mar 22, 2016

The Narrator
Aug 11, 2011

bernie would have won

A Saucy Bratwurst posted:

That's so goddamn cute help.

CROWS EVERYWHERE
Dec 17, 2012

CAW CAW CAW

Dinosaur Gum

Is that made of those seagrass mats from Bunnings? Toast has one for clambering up and down, it's pretty good.

May 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747

CROWS EVERYWHERE posted:

Is that made of those seagrass mats from Bunnings? Toast has one for clambering up and down, it's pretty good.

Yeah it is, I've been using them for lots of things

the chain i got from a facebook toy page a year ago for like $5 and thats about half of it. shoved some newspaper in the chain and like 10c worth of sisal string and beads. All up like $3 in materials for something that costs 30 in stores.

I'm glad you guys can see it because it looks like this for me on my phone and computer

underage at the vape shop fucked around with this message at 08:04 on Mar 22, 2016

CROWS EVERYWHERE
Dec 17, 2012

CAW CAW CAW

Dinosaur Gum

Yeah it is, I've been using them for lots of things

the chain i got from a facebook toy page a year ago for like $% and thats about half of it. shoved some newspaper in the chain and like 10c worth of sisal string and beads. All up like $3 in materials for something that costs 30 in stores.

I'm glad you guys can see it because it looks like this for me on my phone and computer

I quoted your post and copy-pasted the link into a separate tab and it worked after a bit. The same thing has happened with a few other images I've seen in this thread and others, including one I made, apparently. I think imgur's having an off day as it refused to load for me a few times.

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
@Battle Pigeon as the owner of a very male cinnamon pied pearl lutino, yes.

The Narrator
Aug 11, 2011

bernie would have won

It has that for me too, but opening the image in a new tab worked fine.

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

You put the link to the webpage containing the image, rather than the image itself.

code:
Wrong: [timg]http://imgur.com/7A1IpWt[/timg]
Right: [timg]http://i.imgur.com/7A1IpWt.jpg[/timg]

May 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747
Whats what I get for doing it on my phone. Thanks

Wozbo
Jul 5, 2010

Official Bizness posted:

preen my eyelids

I love my birb to death, but eyes, mouth and nose are off limits. I've been chomped one too many a time to risk em.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie

greypearl posted:

Pearl doesn't look at all like she's plotting something, but that's a filthy lie because she totally just took a bite out of that steak.

Also all of my friends on Facebook are forwarding me this article from the NY Times, which is particularly relevant here because they request cute videos of parrots at the end of the article. If there's one thing I know for certain it's that you all have cute videos of parrots.

Reposting this because it's pretty much Africangrey.jpeg

Sekkira
Apr 11, 2008

I Don't Get It,
I Don't Get It,

Boop can get a bit overzealous when it comes to biting fingers and feet. But when it comes to eyes, nose and mouth, she's very gentle.

Sekkira
Apr 11, 2008

I Don't Get It,
I Don't Get It,

Jose Oquendo posted:

"Time for tickles!"

Official Bizness
Dec 4, 2007

wark wark wark

I missed you bastards. Printing this out to give to Jabari. Also searching for a jaunty top hat and monocle for him to wear so that the latter can pop off the next time the lovebirds start to have sex on the perch outside his cage again.

Wozbo posted:

I love my birb to death, but eyes, mouth and nose are off limits. I've been chomped one too many a time to risk em.

This is only after a month without incident, but I'm still pretty drat stupid to allow it since he bit me hard enough for four stitches in his first week with me. Birds are great pets! :buddy:

Official Bizness fucked around with this message at 14:37 on Mar 22, 2016

where the red fern gropes
Aug 24, 2011

the visitor birds just take the lid off the food box

Shirec
Jul 29, 2009

How to cock it up, Fig. I

CROWS EVERYWHERE posted:

Toast helps me shitpost

Preparing to feed his fat pink baby (looks suspiciously like a thumb)

e: You can't really see in these pictures, but on his back (above his blue butt) and on his tail he's getting a lot greener.

I know your bird is alive and real but Toast looks like an adorable toy all the time. Like I'd be afraid to touch him and ruin it. So cute I can't stand it.

greypearl
Jul 26, 2007
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

Jose Oquendo posted:

Grey squinty eye detected.
Threat level: Uncertain.
Countermeasures: Unavailable.

GoldStandardConure
Jun 11, 2010

I have to kill fast
and mayflies too slow

Pillbug

I love this picture so much.

Sekkira
Apr 11, 2008

I Don't Get It,
I Don't Get It,

My reaction to the BUBBLE GLIDER

Sarmhan
Nov 1, 2011

:smugbird: .jpg

Pookah
Aug 21, 2008

🪶Caw🪶

My own favourite African grey picture:

C'mon....c'mooooonnn...just two inches closer.....

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie
Does Pookah like to chill there? I ask because my grey likes to chill behind the toilet in the bathroom for some reason.

Pookah
Aug 21, 2008

🪶Caw🪶

Oh that's not Pookie, just some terrifying sink-lurking grey in a rescue centre a goon visited ages ago :)

Pookie likes to try to hide in the printer, between the oven and the dishwasher and also under the dresser in the kitchen. She doesn't actually fit in any of these places, (thankfully) but that does not stop her trying to stuff herself in!

Shirec
Jul 29, 2009

Pookah posted:

My own favourite African grey picture:

C'mon....c'mooooonnn...just two inches closer.....

Christ that is scary each time I see it. It's like that raptor scene in Jurassic Park.

Sekkira
Apr 11, 2008

I Don't Get It,
I Don't Get It,

Gonna poke that birb

LITERALLY A BIRD
Sep 27, 2008

I knew you were trouble
when you flew in

Shirec posted:

Christ that is scary each time I see it. It's like that raptor scene in Jurassic Park.

Lmao my thoughts exactly

ApathyGirl
Aug 24, 2013
Here's a somewhat less-majestic grey..

I don't think for a second that I'm going to get away with this.

ApathyGirl fucked around with this message at 21:23 on Mar 22, 2016

Shirec
Jul 29, 2009

So I went to the pet store today and they had a really awesome three month old Black Capped Conure. He was very playful but super nippy/bitey. I have been thinking of getting one more, along a GCC size, because I think Sammy would like a playmate and needs to stop bugging Kiwi.
I also want to date people and not have people think I'm a weirdo, but that bird was really cute.

Official Bizness
Dec 4, 2007

wark wark wark

Shirec posted:

I also want to date people and not have people think I'm a weirdo, but that bird was really cute.

Love me, love that I keep five parrots in my bedroom. :colbert:

blackflare
Dec 6, 2004

I am a Purrrfect Princess

Is there some disease that makes you love birds, or is that just a cat person thing? Because it sounds to me like you guys have no excuse.

Tendai
Mar 16, 2007

"When the eagles are silent, the parrots begin to jabber."

Grimey Drawer

Official Bizness posted:

Love me, love that I keep five parrots in my bedroom. :colbert:
"Sorry, I can't get married until my parrot loves you enough to preen your eyebrows without biting your nose. DEAL WITH IT."

Trebuchet King
Jul 5, 2005

This post...

...is a
WORK OF FICTION!!

i can't speak for everyone, but:

what i love about birds is, at the end of the day, how alien they really are. they constantly demonstrate a level of intelligence that we just, for whatever reason, couldn't previously pick up on. having grown up constantly surrounded by all kinds of fantastic elements, from exotic wildlife to grand tales and rich folklores, to spend time with something so different and strange and still bond is just...incredibly rewarding. to say it's like living out the things I dreamed of as a little kid is less of an exaggeration than it might sound.

i mean, they make tools. they name their babies. they use syntax. they play. we don't need to be looking to the stars for first contact...just to the skies.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Trebuchet King posted:

i mean, they make tools. they name their babies. they use syntax. they play. we don't need to be looking to the stars for first contact...just to the skies.

...to find a Cockatoo deliberately dropping pinecones onto your head from a tree branch and laughing at you.