Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

calvus posted:

Does it really matter that much for top schools? It seems people end up all over

With T14, less and less as you go up the ranks. No one in California had heard of University of Minnesota, despite being a T20 law school (at the time).
People do end up all over, true, but it is way easier to get a job with that degree in a local market.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arcturas
Mar 30, 2011

nm posted:

With T14, less and less as you go up the ranks. No one in California had heard of University of Minnesota, despite being a T20 law school (at the time).
People do end up all over, true, but it is way easier to get a job with that degree in a local market.

Yep, if you're top 5 it absolutely doesn't matter, top 10 not terribly important, t14 geography starts to matter (e.g. Cornell has no traction in my neck of the woods despite being t14, though Georgetown/UVA would be alright). T14-20 geography starts to matter more and more, below that your school's name has only regional value.

sullat
Jan 9, 2012

calvus posted:

Being a tenured professor seems insanely hard to get but the easy life

Also, their student loans pay off yours, it's like getting in on the ground floor of a Ponzi scheme.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 10 hours!

Discendo Vox fucked around with this message at 03:13 on Jul 13, 2021

hunkrust
Sep 29, 2014
I got an MA in asking leading questions about how sexism isnt real, and regularly fail to grasp that other people have different experience than me or enjoy different things.
I also own multiple fedoras, to go with my leather dusters, and racist pin badges.

sullat posted:

Also, their student loans pay off yours, it's like getting in on the ground floor of a Ponzi scheme.

It's always better to be further up on the chain

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

I am the master of my lamp;
I am the captain of my tub.

I'll have to settle for being the Keith Haring inspired infographic because I never had any classes in how "to work harder, play harder, and assume the role of a tough, capable and aggressive professional without personal weaknesses or deficiencies."

joat mon fucked around with this message at 15:07 on Mar 21, 2016

Look Sir Droids
Jan 27, 2015

The tracks go off in this direction.
Student loan interest question. I paid down a ton of principal this year to get myself around the $2500 cap. Next year I'll definitely be under it in terms of actual interest paid. I never paid much attention to my 1098-E because the amount reported there didn't matter. I was definitely over. But for tax year 2015, I added everything up and I paid around $2750 in interest. My 1098-E for 2015 says my lender received $4300. The 2014 form, when I had a much higher principal, only reports $3750 (which was also higher than the interest I paid that year, but not by much). Is there a carry forward for student loan interest? If so, I was not aware.

G-Mawwwwwww
Jan 31, 2003

My LPth are Hot Garbage
Biscuit Hider
I no poo poo just got an adverse possession case in.

"We've lived on the land for ten years since my uncle died and the aunt wants to probate the will as muniment of title."

"Ok so it's so many years on color of title and with the taxes paid and..you know what? I'm going to send you to someone else."

blarzgh
Apr 14, 2009

SNITCHIN' RANDY
Grimey Drawer

CaptainScraps posted:

I no poo poo just got an adverse possession case in.

"We've lived on the land for ten years since my uncle died and the aunt wants to probate the will as muniment of title."

"Ok so it's so many years on color of title and with the taxes paid and..you know what? I'm going to send you to someone else."

they're not that hard. we do them all the time.

hunkrust
Sep 29, 2014
I got an MA in asking leading questions about how sexism isnt real, and regularly fail to grasp that other people have different experience than me or enjoy different things.
I also own multiple fedoras, to go with my leather dusters, and racist pin badges.

blarzgh posted:

they're not that hard. we do them all the time.

What's the context? It seems like such a rare thing

Elotana
Dec 12, 2003

and i'm putting it all on the goddamn expense account

Discendo Vox posted:

More than 20 percent of licensed attorneys drink at levels that are considered "hazardous, harmful, and potentially alcohol-dependent." That's three times higher than the rate of problem drinking among the general public.
Only three times higher? Now that's progress

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 10 hours!

Discendo Vox fucked around with this message at 03:15 on Jul 13, 2021

Buck Turgidson
Feb 6, 2011

𓀬𓀠𓀟𓀡𓀢𓀣𓀤𓀥𓀞𓀬
Both the introductory lecture and first class of law school emphasised the higher rates of depression, anxiety, substance abuse, and suicide among lawyers and law students. lol

blarzgh
Apr 14, 2009

SNITCHIN' RANDY
Grimey Drawer

calvus posted:

What's the context? It seems like such a rare thing

You'd be surprised at the number of surveyors in the late 1800's that liked to drink on the job.

Also, 85% of adverse possession claims are boundary disputes and/or incongruities in the chain of title. Sometimes I deal with adverse possession of minerals, too. Sometimes its because Pepaw built a fence a foot too far west back in '37 and now those dag nabbed fools o'r at the title company want some flippity floppity boundary line agreement, and its mah lamd!!!!

hunkrust
Sep 29, 2014

blarzgh posted:

You'd be surprised at the number of surveyors in the late 1800's that liked to drink on the job.

Also, 85% of adverse possession claims are boundary disputes and/or incongruities in the chain of title. Sometimes I deal with adverse possession of minerals, too. Sometimes its because Pepaw built a fence a foot too far west back in '37 and now those dag nabbed fools o'r at the title company want some flippity floppity boundary line agreement, and its mah lamd!!!!

That makes a lot more sense.

Hot Dog Day #91
Jun 19, 2003

West Texas and south Texas real estate is a nightmare.

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo

Hot Dog Day #91 posted:

West Texas and south Texas real estate is a nightmare.

Kalman
Jan 17, 2010

Hot Dog Day #91 posted:

WestTexas and south Texas real estate is a nightmare.

Newfie
Oct 8, 2013

10 years of oil boom and 20 billion dollars cash, all I got was a case of beer, a pack of smokes, and 14% unemployment.
Thanks, Danny.

calvus posted:

That makes a lot more sense.

Same issue in newfoundland. Nothing like bringing in a dozen old people to say such and such lived and farmed that land for the past 30 years and their neighbours kid is a snot who should get nothing.

Hot Dog Day #91
Jun 19, 2003

Texas is not that bad, so long as you're a white male farmer.

Pook Good Mook
Aug 6, 2013

ENFORCE THE UNITED STATES DRESS CODE AT ALL COSTS!

This message paid for by the Men's Wearhouse& Jos A Bank Lobbying Group

Newfie posted:

Same issue in newfoundland. Nothing like bringing in a dozen old people to say such and such lived and farmed that land for the past 30 years and their neighbours kid is a snot who should get nothing.

My grandparents live in Nova Scotia and the added fun with property disputes in the maritimes is that nearly every parcel worth a drat is on the ocean and typically access rights and easements are thrown in for fun.

blarzgh
Apr 14, 2009

SNITCHIN' RANDY
Grimey Drawer

Hot Dog Day #91 posted:

Texas is not that bad, so long as you're a white male farmer.

Or a studly young Traffic Ticket Lawyer.

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin
Hot drat, I actually got a 'no thanks' response to a job application within 24 hours. Maybe things are looking up in this economy!

hunkrust
Sep 29, 2014

mastershakeman posted:

Hot drat, I actually got a 'no thanks' response to a job application within 24 hours. Maybe things are looking up in this economy!

Have you had any luck with recruiters?

Toona the Cat
Jun 9, 2004

The Greatest
I accepted a summer internship with the county PD's office. :toot:

blarzgh
Apr 14, 2009

SNITCHIN' RANDY
Grimey Drawer

Toona the Cat posted:

Extra time on your hands, what with the separation and all?

Eminent Domain
Sep 23, 2007

Toona the Cat posted:

If it is anything like mine you are going to fall off that wagon again something fierce.

terrorist ambulance
Nov 5, 2009

Toona the Cat posted:

Annoying self involved stupid jerkoff social retard who talks about himself non stop to anyone who will listen is going to be a defense lawyer

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

terrorist ambulance posted:

Annoying self involved stupid jerkoff social retard who talks about himself non stop to anyone who will listen is going to be a defense lawyer

Please stop talking about me.

Tokelau All Star
Feb 23, 2008

THE TAXES! THE FINGER THING MEANS THE TAXES!

Toona the Cat posted:

Hope you enjoy people getting in your face screaming gently caress YOU.

I had a guy in his underwear sing the Love Boat theme song to me in cell block today.

hunkrust
Sep 29, 2014

Tokelau All Star posted:

Hope you enjoy people getting in your face screaming gently caress YOU.

I had a guy in his underwear sing the Love Boat theme song to me in cell block today.

Is he your boyfriend now?

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin
Being a public defender actually seems like the best possible job with low hours and no pressure to win

Kalman
Jan 17, 2010

mastershakeman posted:

Being a public defender actually seems like the best possible job with low hours and no pressure to win

Don't forget the great pay.

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

Kalman posted:

Don't forget the great pay.

It's more than a lot of private sector jobs these days, without accounting for a pension option

nm
Jan 28, 2008

mastershakeman posted:

No pressure to win? Are you loving kidding me?

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

nm posted:

I'm just going off what I hear from my pd friends but yeah, no pressure on them for the most part. Aren't prosecutors expected to win 99% of their cases?

Kalman
Jan 17, 2010

nm posted:

Oh for the love of god I thought he was making a joke. Hence the "great pay" crack.

Apparently not.

SlothBear
Jan 25, 2009

mastershakeman posted:

Every job is this if you don't care about it and do it badly.

Look Sir Droids
Jan 27, 2015

The tracks go off in this direction.
PD pay is, last I heard, slightly better than prosecutor pay. To make up for all the losing.

And yeah, it's competitive with non-Big law jobs starting out. It shouldn't be, but legal industry being what it is.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

Kalman posted:

Oh for the love of god I thought he was making a joke. Hence the "great pay" crack.

Apparently not.

Maybe its a cook county thing where all the cops/prosecutors/judges are in cahoots?

I mean I'm sure pds personally want to win cases but I can't imagine them having performance evaluations based on it. Or am I just getting a totally weird viewpoint from the select group of twentyish pds I know who are all stoners all the time ?