Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

drjuggalo
Jul 26, 2014
so the villian has the gold gold fruit and luffy is gonna go gear 4 to beat him?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Asuron
Nov 27, 2012
So Toei hosed up the King Kong punch. Don't know why I expect better at this point but that was a really cool moment and instead of showing how overwhelmingly powerful it was, they decide to go with powerbeam struggle nonsense and managed to pace it out so badly Luffy doesn't even finish the name of the move before Donflamingo gets a long monologue out.

Just once I'd like to get them to understand he's not supposed to struggle when he pulls out moves like that, it's cool because of the single decisive blow coming in an instant and it shows just how powerful it really is when he can overwhelm someone so completely. It's like Zoros insta win sword moves, except with fists and I don't understand why they don't get that.

Asuron fucked around with this message at 10:20 on Mar 20, 2016

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST

Asuron posted:

So Toei hosed up the King Kong punch. Don't know why I expect better at this point but that was a really cool moment and instead of showing how overwhelmingly powerful it was, they decide to go with powerbeam struggle nonsense and managed to pace it out so badly Luffy doesn't even finish the name of the move before Donflamingo gets a long monologue out.

Just once I'd like to get them to understand he's not supposed to struggle when he pulls out moves like that, it's cool because of the single decisive blow coming in an instant and it shows just how powerful it really is when he can overwhelm someone so completely. It's like Zoros insta win sword moves, except with fists and I don't understand why they don't get that.

They get it perfectly well. They just need/want to pad screen time to fill in an episode, AND in a manner that takes very little budget/time to do so any other considerations take a very distant second place.

Rohan Kishibe
Oct 29, 2011

Frankly, I don't like you
and I never have.

Allarion posted:

The director of this one was the assistant director on movie 6 interestingly enough.

I know that the assistant director on a live action movie is actually like a really different job than the director, if it's the same with animation that really doesn't tell us much about what this movie is going to be like.

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!

Asuron posted:

I agree. I'm more or less completely done with the anime version of One Piece. It's some seriously amateur hour poo poo now; like they didn't even bother to animate Doflamingo falling down, the animators just literally put him in a prone pose and shifted the whole body down like dragging an image in Photoshop. Them playing the final music cues from the Luffy vs Lucci fight just made me miss how good the series used to be during Water 7/Enies Lobby aesthetically and pacing-wise in the anime. :sigh:

It's bad. It's really, really super terribly bad.

Mulderman
Mar 20, 2009

Did someone say axe magnet?
It has reached the point where people will watch it regardless. They don't need to put in any effort. People will watch and it'll make money. So the cheaper to produce the better. I miss the catchy ending themes and anime only material.
It's a drat shame. Even the earlier filler arcs where pretty drat enjoyable at times. G8 for example was loving golden from beginning to end.

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!

Mulderman posted:

It has reached the point where people will watch it regardless. They don't need to put in any effort. People will watch and it'll make money. So the cheaper to produce the better. I miss the catchy ending themes and anime only material.
It's a drat shame. Even the earlier filler arcs where pretty drat enjoyable at times. G8 for example was loving golden from beginning to end.

It's just bizarre thinking about this from an American perspective since it's usually the A-list material that gets the budget and talent dumped into it and the B-list less so, but here it's the opposite.

Sinners Sandwich
Jan 4, 2012

Give me your friend's BURGERS and SANDWICHES, I'll put out the fire.

I've been watching the dub anime with my sister and it's been our favorite thing. There about to finish up Impel Down and I'm getting scared. It sounds like even watching 11 episodes at a time wouldn't fix dress rosa. I at least want to get to the time skip but it's so hard to stay positive.

Toei won't even d filler anymore just because that takes more effort with designing charecrs and backgrounds

Comic
Feb 24, 2008

Mad Comic Stylings

Sinners Sandwich posted:

I've been watching the dub anime with my sister and it's been our favorite thing. There about to finish up Impel Down and I'm getting scared. It sounds like even watching 11 episodes at a time wouldn't fix dress rosa. I at least want to get to the time skip but it's so hard to stay positive.

Toei won't even d filler anymore just because that takes more effort with designing charecrs and backgrounds

You're about to hit the period where I stopped watching the anime. It just kind of DBZ's it where pacing goes to poo poo and they stretch out moments a whole lot. And it's only gotten worse for the most part, is my understanding.

jassa
Nov 7, 2005

"He's so awesome!"
He really is!

Asuron posted:

and managed to pace it out so badly Luffy doesn't even finish the name of the move before Donflamingo gets a long monologue out.

That's actually accurate to the manga: http://www.mangapanda.com/one-piece/790/15

The "GUN!" is on the next page.

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

jassa posted:

That's actually accurate to the manga: http://www.mangapanda.com/one-piece/790/15

"GODSLED"

Asuron
Nov 27, 2012

jassa posted:

Nah I knew that, the difference was that in the manga you get the impression he's yelling over the top of it as they're doing it simultaneously, whereas in the anime everything literally just stops while he talks.

Sub Harrison
May 2, 2013

It's unfortunate to hear how they turned King Kong punch into a struggle. They did the same bullshit to the Hodi fight where they made it look like Luffy was losing to Hodi before the final punch.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

I checked out the episode because I haven't seen the anime in the longest time.

Holy god drat poo poo, I have never seen anything so lazy in all my life. It's like they decided that even key frames were too much effort. The music is as gentle and vague as possible so they can slap it over the action with no effort, simple effects are thrown over still images and static images drift lazily apart to fool you into thinking there's some kind of motion to the shot.

I'd love to know what the actual dollar value is for their budget, because these people are basically crooks cutting their product until it's 90% sawdust.

hell astro course
Dec 10, 2009

pizza sucks

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4LLiP8qOvGU I dunno if anyone posted this, but this newish trailer is out.

I Am Fowl
Mar 8, 2008

nononononono

Stallion Cabana posted:

It looks like he's probably a Logia user with something like the Gold Gold fruit or something?

Maybe a Parmecia

It's difficult to tell. He seems to have a sort of Midas Touch power which would be a paramecia thing--but with Awakening, who knows?

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!

Doctor_Fruitbat posted:

I checked out the episode because I haven't seen the anime in the longest time.

Holy god drat poo poo, I have never seen anything so lazy in all my life. It's like they decided that even key frames were too much effort. The music is as gentle and vague as possible so they can slap it over the action with no effort, simple effects are thrown over still images and static images drift lazily apart to fool you into thinking there's some kind of motion to the shot.

I'd love to know what the actual dollar value is for their budget, because these people are basically crooks cutting their product until it's 90% sawdust.

I agree. I don't care about the privileges of being able to cut corners because it's the hottest thing around, One Piece deserves better than this. It's like Clutch Cargo levels of animation now.

Teek
Aug 7, 2006

I can't wait to entertain you.

Your Dunkle Sans posted:

Them playing the final music cues from the Luffy vs Lucci fight just made me miss how good the series used to be during Water 7/Enies Lobby aesthetically and pacing-wise in the anime. :sigh:

It's interesting you mention that, because that's the exact arc which made me give up. The pacing problems came into their own that arc and haven't stopped since. Up to that point they were able to squeeze in the 10-15 episode filler arcs to keep up. By Water 7 they just couldn't make those work without the stretching, and they started stretching the poo poo out of things. That still doesn't explain them doing so little with the cover stories as filler arcs too.

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!

Teek posted:

It's interesting you mention that, because that's the exact arc which made me give up. The pacing problems came into their own that arc and haven't stopped since. Up to that point they were able to squeeze in the 10-15 episode filler arcs to keep up. By Water 7 they just couldn't make those work without the stretching, and they started stretching the poo poo out of things. That still doesn't explain them doing so little with the cover stories as filler arcs too.

I've read that the Coby and Helmeppo training filler episodes at Marineford HQ and the mini-Buggy filler got low ratings so they gave up on doing any more cover art related filler.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Your Dunkle Sans posted:

I've read that the Coby and Helmeppo training filler episodes at Marineford HQ and the mini-Buggy filler got low ratings so they gave up on doing any more cover art related filler.

This can't possibly be true or else their shittastic stretching of the material would have resulted in low enough ratings to force them to do something about it.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer

Gyges posted:

This can't possibly be true or else their shittastic stretching of the material would have resulted in low enough ratings to force them to do something about it.

kids are stupid as gently caress and probably don't notice it being dragged out an insane amount. i watched most of dbz like that as a 12 year old

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Jose posted:

kids are stupid as gently caress and probably don't notice it being dragged out an insane amount. i watched most of dbz like that as a 12 year old

The DBZ anime is miles better than the One piece anime.

DizzyBum
Apr 16, 2007

Probably best to just stick with One Pace, or wait 10+ years for One Piece Kai to exist.

Sinners Sandwich
Jan 4, 2012

Japan fans aren't complaining loud enough

GodFish
Oct 10, 2012

We're your first, last, and only line of defense. We live in secret. We exist in shadow.

And we dress in black.
Could have just done something like one minute of cover arc stuff at the start of each episode.

gnome7
Oct 21, 2010

Who's this Little
Spaghetti?? ??

Gyges posted:

The Toei of 15 years ago cared a lot more about the ratings One Piece held than the Toei of today does. Back then, it wasn't a sure thing and needed all the support it could get. Now it is a very sure thing, and they have no desire to improve it when people watch this poo poo anyway.

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

gnome7 posted:

The Toei of 15 years ago cared a lot more about the ratings One Piece held than the Toei of today does. Back then, it wasn't a sure thing and needed all the support it could get. Now it is a very sure thing, and they have no desire to improve it when people watch this poo poo anyway.

Exactly. And remember, the show exists to sell merchandise, which sells like hotcakes over there.

Asuron
Nov 27, 2012

Teek posted:

Water 7 was fine pacing wise, when it hit Enies Lobby the problems really started surfacing. Even then though, we still had knockout scenes like Gear Second and a large majority of the fights during the arc, especially Luffy vs Lucci.

Donflamingo vs Luffy should've absolutely been the part where they put the budget in if it was to go anywhere. Instead they cheap out and make it look like poo poo because they don't care. I wish they brought back the animator who did Gear second and the Monster Trio vs the Kraken to handle the important bits of the series. His artwork and animation is easily my favorite work among all the animators they have there and he really gets how One Piece is supposed to look.

Sinners Sandwich
Jan 4, 2012

gnome7 posted:

I'm sorry but it's been bothering me for years, who is that little spagetti!?

gnome7
Oct 21, 2010

Who's this Little
Spaghetti?? ??

Sinners Sandwich posted:

I'm sorry but it's been bothering me for years, who is that little spagetti!?

That little spaghetti is Kyouko Kasodani from the Touhou Project, and my avatar's specific design is a redesign of the character from the fangame DesireDriven.

Sub Harrison
May 2, 2013

Hey I just watched the King Kong Gun episode. While the final punch was dragged out, the last part with Corazon's warning was really well done with the whole "The D's are the enemies of Gods" line. If you haven't already definitely watch the episode where Trebol mentions the clashing Conquerors haki of Luffy vs. Doffy. The anime really emphasizes the start of Conqueror's battling like Don Chinjao predicted in the C-block fight.

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
More One Piece stuff from Lotteria! Zoro busts.

Hitlersaurus Christ
Oct 14, 2005

That is certainly a thing you can get from a burger place.

d[-.-]b
Aug 1, 2004

my fav champ that hero who cats a spell that make all bad guy fall down and say my dick BIG
The right Zoro looks like a dollar bill.

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Sorta looks like Enel to be honest. Only not as arrogant and smug.

Crazyeyes
Nov 5, 2009

If I were human, I believe my response would be: 'go to hell'.
Is there no release this week? If so... :argh:

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

Crazyeyes posted:

Is there no release this week? If so... :argh:

nope

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Please look at the picture of the Zoro bust to have your weekly dose of OP instead.

Fuckshoes
Jul 11, 2001

sup ladies
That Zoro bust is neat, but can it charge a phone?

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!

Fuckshoes posted:

That Zoro bust is neat, but can it charge a phone?

To be fair, I feel the same way whenever my phone suddenly goes dead without warning.