Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Solumin
Jan 11, 2013

Azuth0667 posted:

Is there a way to break things down into their components?

Not in the base game, but there's a mod or two that add recycling buildings.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Loren1350
Mar 30, 2007

Travic posted:

I add up all the kW in my base and that's how much power I need per second?

You want one solar panel per 42kW needed, and one accumulator per 50kW needed.

LordSaturn
Aug 12, 2007

sadly unfunny

Sage Grimm posted:

And always more iron and copper and holy poo poo so many circuits...

The first time you get a really good, efficient green arm factory going to feed your blue science factories, you will realize that it drinks circuits, and circuits drink copper.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

Loren1350 posted:

You want one solar panel per 42kW needed, and one accumulator per 50kW needed.
These are the correct numbers and I fat fingered my last example which should now be fixed.

Exewu
Jun 21, 2009
<br>
I've started a map will all biter settings on max but it's becoming too tedious to clean them out to get to new resources.

I"m considering installing RSO so the tiles i haven't explored yet should follow those new settings (regional resource spawning and not that many bugs) right?

Travic
May 27, 2007

Getting nowhere fast

mastermind2004 posted:

You need more solar panels. That's always how many solar panels you need. More.

Noted :) I like working the math, but this may rule what I end up doing at the end of the day.

ModeSix posted:

Don't forget that solar panels don't work at 100% efficiency all the time. They start low as the sun comes up and decrease production as it goes down, giving only 100% production for a percentage of the day cycle.

Also:

Yeah that was a pain in the rear end. I set up a single panel at midnight and dropped down accumulators as they filled up through the next day. It filled about 4 accumulators before it gave up for the night, but these numbers may still be wrong based on what other people are saying.

zedprime posted:

Working off the math cited for the accumulator ratio which should still apply since day/night hasn't been changed apparently. There's an even easier rule of thumb, and it puts 23 solar panels as kind of lowballing (it puts a theoretical day closer to 15MJ per panel so not sure where the discrepancy was vs your practical test, but whatever, the engineering bottom line is use what works even if the math is against it): for a totally solar operation, you want solar generation = 1.67 1.42 * average consumption, with accumulators ratioed to 0.84/panel from there. So for the miner example closer to 30-31 25-26 panels and 26-27 21-22 accumulators.

Cool thanks. I'll crunch these numbers and see what I get. If I remember correctly my base is using 13MW in the electricity monitor. That's a looooot of solar panels.

Ratzap
Jun 9, 2012

Let no pie go wasted
Soiled Meat

LordSaturn posted:

The first time you get a really good, efficient green arm factory going to feed your blue science factories, you will realize that it drinks circuits, and circuits drink copper.

Then you start making blue circuits and realise the end game of Factorio is one ginourmous circuit plant (blues require 20 green circuits and 2 red each). Blueprint that nice efficient green circuit factory because you are going to need so loving many.

Exewu posted:

I've started a map will all biter settings on max but it's becoming too tedious to clean them out to get to new resources.

I"m considering installing RSO so the tiles i haven't explored yet should follow those new settings (regional resource spawning and not that many bugs) right?

RSO is very configurable, just twiddle the settings and use the console commands until you like what you get, then save that.

hannibal
Jul 27, 2001

[img-planes]
Is anyone doing anything interesting with circuits? By which I mean the green/red wire, combinator stuff. I'm almost at the end of a fairly vanilla sandbox game (first playthrough) and haven't used them at all. (Trains either, for that matter)

Also, I'm always looking for more recommendations for quality of life mods. I'm not using a lot right now, just:

- Flare Stack
- Flow Control
- Fluid Barrels
- Side Inserters
- WaiTex

and I'd use Rail Tanker if I used trains, I guess.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

hannibal posted:

Is anyone doing anything interesting with circuits? By which I mean the green/red wire, combinator stuff. I'm almost at the end of a fairly vanilla sandbox game (first playthrough) and haven't used them at all. (Trains either, for that matter)

Also, I'm always looking for more recommendations for quality of life mods. I'm not using a lot right now, just:

- Flare Stack
- Flow Control
- Fluid Barrels
- Side Inserters
- WaiTex

The most common use for circuits seems to be light and heavy oil stock control. Hook up lubricant storage and a pump on the line from heavy oil to the plant cracking heavy to light, set a floor on lubricant that pumps excess heavy to cracking. Hook up light oil storage and a pump on the line to the plant cracking light to petrogas, set a ceiling on light oil (or a floor if you are deep into solid fuel production) that will pump light to cracking.

Since they are cheap and early there's some utility in setting up some faux logistic network conditionals. Like I keep a chest of straight pipe to feed into underground pipe and set the inserter not to pull below however much straight pipe I want to keep around at short notice. You can keep solar panels and accumulators ratioed with a ceiling of however many you expect to place at once. That utility wanes obviously with a mature logistics network cause its easier to set inventory control on a wider level without stringing everything up.

Most of the logic controls are for insane people, most everything you want to do involves smart chests, smart inserters, and your choice of wire color.

Ratzap
Jun 9, 2012

Let no pie go wasted
Soiled Meat

hannibal posted:

- Flare Stack
- Flow Control
- Fluid Barrels
- Side Inserters
- WaiTex

I always use circuits in my refinery areas to control cracking and fuel cube production though in stock games you really don't need much at all. Mods like Bobs tend to drive the use of the circuit network more to control usage and throughput.

Some quality of life mods I use:

advanced logistics system - lets yous browse, search etc the logistic network. Very handy tool
autofill - puts fuel/ammo in things as you put them down, fantastic comfort mod
blueprint string - save/load blueprints, over time you build up a library of designs and you can use other peoples strings
blueprint flipper - mirrors buelprints rather than the games rotation
circuitgui - just started using this one, you attach it to a circuit network and it pops up a message when the condition is met. So if say fuel runs out, you'll notice
evogui - biter evolution as a percentage and play time
gravestone - for MP games, saves your gear in a box if you die
logicbelt - counters, signals etc for belts, pipes and rail eg if a belt segment has > 4 items on it (it's backing up), start the inserter that goes to a box
mineable rock - rocks give you stone. Simple and no more wasting ammo
tree collision - smaller boxes round trees so you can actually run through a forest. You do still hit them though
upgrade planner - like blueprints but seamlessly mark areas of factory to get better tech replacements for the robots to install
YARM - resource monitor, show your ore deposits, rate of depletion and warnings when they run low/dry.

RattiRatto
Jun 26, 2014

:gary: :I'd like to borrow $200M
:whatfor:
:gary: :To make vidya game
Is there a way to destroy items?
I'm running on Bob's mod (oh god i'm 45h in this single game and i feel i have accomplished nothing so far) and the reactions/assemblies are not balanced, so i end up using some kind of combinatorics to try to fix the throughput, by putting a clock on an inserter which get trigger once every two seconds or so. However sometimes there are a few materials which just get extremely overproduced... i saw the mod linked before about the pipe burners(which is actually great), however that only works if the material is a liquid/gas. What about solid?

Sininu
Jan 8, 2014

RattiRatto posted:

I'm running on Bob's mod (oh god i'm 45h in this single game and i feel i have accomplished nothing so far) and the reactions/assemblies are not balanced, so i end up using some kind of combinatorics to try to fix the throughput, by putting a clock on an inserter which get trigger once every two seconds or so. However sometimes there are a few materials which just get extremely overproduced... i saw the mod linked before about the pipe burners(which is actually great), however that only works if the material is a liquid/gas. What about solid?

Put stuff in chest - shoot the chest.

RattiRatto
Jun 26, 2014

Ratzap posted:

advanced logistics system - lets yous browse, search etc the logistic network. Very handy tool
autofill - puts fuel/ammo in things as you put them down, fantastic comfort mod
blueprint string - save/load blueprints, over time you build up a library of designs and you can use other peoples strings
blueprint flipper - mirrors buelprints rather than the games rotation
circuitgui - just started using this one, you attach it to a circuit network and it pops up a message when the condition is met. So if say fuel runs out, you'll notice
evogui - biter evolution as a percentage and play time
gravestone - for MP games, saves your gear in a box if you die
logicbelt - counters, signals etc for belts, pipes and rail eg if a belt segment has > 4 items on it (it's backing up), start the inserter that goes to a box
mineable rock - rocks give you stone. Simple and no more wasting ammo
tree collision - smaller boxes round trees so you can actually run through a forest. You do still hit them though
upgrade planner - like blueprints but seamlessly mark areas of factory to get better tech replacements for the robots to install
YARM - resource monitor, show your ore deposits, rate of depletion and warnings when they run low/dry.

Smarter Circuitry - it gives you a few super interesting sensors like the one to get how much is an container, the one to check what's on a belt, and another one to check the electricity level (i use it to turn on the steam engines whenever capacitors gets under a critical level)
Clock - gives you the time, so you know when to get back in your base

Then if you use RSO:
FARL - a must have to build rails
Logistic Railway - you can turn sections of the rail( train stops) into logistic network chests. Make it a requester and you can fill the train with a fixed amount of whatever you need.

pretty good aggro deck
Dec 31, 2007

Extinct!
Is there a way to only run your steam engines when your accumulators are low?

They power down when my solar panels take over but the accumulators just sit there fully charged over night.

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

Malf posted:

They power down when my solar panels take over but the accumulators just sit there fully charged over night.

Not yet, no. Version 13 will have the logic networks cover power (both for input and output).

Indecisive
May 6, 2007

One thing I appreciate running RSO and lowered spawnrates is that, compared to my previous game I'm not just drowning in alien artifacts from the moment I got the tank, I'm actually having to go out and hunt alien nests to power my research. For more basic quality of life stuff I'll echo what Ratzap said, I don't have them all but the ones I do are very nice and the rest sound good :)

Others I've tried:
-- Searching Flashlight - when standing still, you turn to face objects you mouse over, a small thing but handy at night
-- Initial Scan - when starting a new game, reveals a decent chunk of map around you so you don't have to waste time running around , I think this is becoming part of the base game next patch (the one currently open for testing)
-- Honk - by GotLag, just makes trains honk when entering / leaving a station. A handy reminder if you find yourself near the tracks, and makes you feel slightly less alone on this lovely alien planet
-- Color Coding, gives you different color concrete and lights and a few actual like hazard/danger striped concrete, so you can pretty up your base in the few moments you aren't focusing on brutal efficiency
-- Red Alerts, hook up a small early game research item to your electric network and you'll get an audible warning if your power is running out - also notifies you if a building or vehicle dies
-- The FAT controller, lets you control your trains remotely, also notifies you if a train runs out of fuel or has been doing nothing for 10 minutes or more for some reason (which does include 'train hasn't been activated', but that's a minor annoyance)
also EVO gui has options to display more than just evolution factor, it also can do ingame time, played time, biters killed, player locations (for multiplayer) and other stuff I think

Ratzap
Jun 9, 2012

Let no pie go wasted
Soiled Meat

Tenebrais posted:

Not yet, no. Version 13 will have the logic networks cover power (both for input and output).

Not to mention switches (transformer I think they're calling it) so you can sense when solar goes down at night and click in your polluting generators without the substation/box/smart inserter build.

RattiRatto posted:

Yes, void chest, fluid void and gas vent pump - that lets me cover all three in my bobs game. I wish someone would make a spreadsheet or plan for bobs so that you didn't have to play it a few days to get an idea of how to build a reasonably efficient functioning bobs factory.

Initial scan is obsolete now because as you said, it's in 0.12.27 which was steam released today for the general public. Honk I forgot but love it, trains making noise is just right. Fat controller I installed this evening and it's dead handy, call trains back from wherever they are etc.

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

LordSaturn posted:

one day I will remember that I have literally thousands of smart inserters in storage and go get some instead of hand crafting them every time I need them

Qubee
May 31, 2013

The Fat Controller (love the Thomas The Tank Engine reference) is amazing. Now I actually use my trains to hop between outposts. I barely touch my cars. Used to be I hated waiting for the trains to pull into the station, but now I can just call whichever train I want to it's station and commandeer it to hop to whatever outpost I want.

I'm going to build myself a dedicated transport train too so I won't have to pull working trains out of their job just to haul my fatass around.

Gotta love expanding existing structures with modular blueprints. Just went and doubled my metal output and it wasn't that big a pain in the rear end as I thought. There was plenty of space for me to stick another 32 smelters just below the original construction, so everything stays in the same spot and uses the same belts.

CanOfMDAmp
Nov 15, 2006

Now remember kids, no running, no diving, and no salt on my margaritas.

cock hero flux posted:

one day I will remember that I have literally thousands of smart inserters in storage and go get some instead of hand crafting them every time I need them

just make your many thousands of robots bring them to you?

Qubee
May 31, 2013

Oh dear, I watched a few YT videos of people playing Factorio and their bases were so neat and efficient, Makes me want to tear my base down, let the pollution die away, and build from the ground up.

The guy had a dedicated oil outpost that would ship products directly to his main base where they could be used or further processed. He also had one huge conveyor running down the middle with all that main materials (iron, copper and green circuits) that would peel off vertically and be assembled into final products.

I would love to have a base like that instead of the scarily-close-but-not-quit spaghetti monster factory I have. Though in my defense, I'm playing with biters, whilst they were playing with none (and from what I could tell, much bigger resource deposits). The one thing I would change about my start though would be to make deposits bigger. Really loving annoying dealing with diddly 4x4 squares of iron and 2x2 squares of stone, yet having mega 10x10 deposits of copper.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Total Factorio newbie here. After finishing the tutorial I started a fresh random map.

gently caress me. It started me off next to a lake, which is nice for steam power, but there was just a tiny, tiny patch of coal about 3X3 in size on the south size of the lake, and all the other precious resources on the other side. I started off taking coal to the mines/smelters by hand, started making a conveyor belt to bring it around, got some steam generators and electric mines going, and just as I finish the supply chain of coal snaking all the way around the lake, aliens attack and destroy half my facility.

This game is awesome. Hard, but awesome!

God-drat, you need to manufacture science bottles to feed your labs?!

Qubee
May 31, 2013

Speedball posted:

Total Factorio newbie here. After finishing the tutorial I started a fresh random map.

gently caress me. It started me off next to a lake, which is nice for steam power, but there was just a tiny, tiny patch of coal about 3X3 in size on the south size of the lake, and all the other precious resources on the other side. I started off taking coal to the mines/smelters by hand, started making a conveyor belt to bring it around, got some steam generators and electric mines going, and just as I finish the supply chain of coal snaking all the way around the lake, aliens attack and destroy half my facility.

This game is awesome. Hard, but awesome!

God-drat, you need to manufacture science bottles to feed your labs?!

All down to personal preference, but I learnt the hard way: when you start a fresh game, don't hesitate to restart on a new map if your spawn sucks. I got dumped down in the desert with resources that were really far away from each other. Starting up was a bitch.

My next game, I'm going to make sure I start off near a forest (forests are a nightmare to build big structures in until you get construction bots to mass-chop the trees away), and make sure I have decent resources nearby to make starting up slightly easier.

PS: early-game, always always always stick a gun turret or two near your distant facilities. So I'd stick one or two turrets near your coal making bit just to keep it defended from biters until you can arrive and fight them off. Means you can peacefully build in your main base without worrying about 2 or 3 biters slowly destroying all your hard work if you aren't nearby.

Aurium
Oct 10, 2010

Malf posted:

Yes, there is. It's complex though.

https://wiki.factorio.com/index.php?title=Power_production/Dealing_with_priorities

Qubee
May 31, 2013

Why would you want to use your accumulators though? Only reason I have accu's is to provide energy for when my lasers fire. IIRC Steam Engines have a ramp up time that means if laser turrets all go off at once, the steam engines can't provide power fast enough to prevent blackouts.

Seems like a bad idea to have your accu's drain first before steam engines. I'd rather keep them fully juiced up and just have the steam engines running overnight. That way I know if I get a large wave of biters, my laser turrets have a huge reserve of energy to dip into.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Please tell me you can build BRIDGES at some point. That lake being a giant obstacle was too much.

Qubee
May 31, 2013

Speedball posted:

Please tell me you can build BRIDGES at some point. That lake being a giant obstacle was too much.

there's a mod that adds the ability to build bridges, give that a go? but once you get trains, you'll be shuttling most of your stuff into your base.

people who don't use trains confuse me, train logistics is the most fun part of this game, and makes life hella easy. I hated trains at first cause signals confused me so much, but once I realised how simply they work, making massive railway networks is the reason I've put about 56 hours into my current save.

Aurium
Oct 10, 2010

Loopoo posted:

My life cycles between having too much oil, and producing enough plastic and sulfuric acid to keep my circuit + science assemblies going, to having no oil and everything grinding to a halt. It's so frustrating.

I've started maybe 4 oil outposts, and they all get drained in no time and then I have to disassemble it because the biters are too big and strong for me to leave outposts around, otherwise I just lose laser turrets, pumpjacks and roboports needlessly.

I'm happy though because with my new armour I can wade through biter nests and kill them all.

Sounds like you don't have enough turrets. Also walls. All biters should be dead by the time your bots get to something that needs repaired.

ModeSix posted:

Don't forget that solar panels don't work at 100% efficiency all the time. They start low as the sun comes up and decrease production as it goes down, giving only 100% production for a percentage of the day cycle.

Also:

Here's a link to some solar ratio stuff, but I'm mostly giving it because it includes math on how much power per day, including the ups and downs from dusk and dawn, and the like.
https://forums.factorio.com/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=5594

Qubee
May 31, 2013

Aurium posted:

Sounds like you don't have enough turrets. Also walls. All biters should be dead by the time your bots get to something that needs repaired

Thing is, I gotta lay down laser turrets in my outpost. Gun turrets just get obliterated before bots can repair it from spitters. Plus, I hate the logistics of having to visit the outpost myself to restock the belt that feeds gun turrets with ammo (I have a chest that I fill with ammo then an inserter that puts it onto a belt that loops round the outpost). The reason I'm so stingy with laser turrets is because I'm in a constant battle with oil, so I prefer keeping laser turrets for my super important stuff (ie main base).

I'll double-layer gun turrets in my outposts from now on and that should hopefully keep them protected.

Anyone else get a little anal when they check turrets and see some with 0 kills? I end up wanting to remove them but then worry that maybe one day biters will break in through that place.

Ratzap
Jun 9, 2012

Let no pie go wasted
Soiled Meat

Loopoo posted:

there's a mod that adds the ability to build bridges, give that a go? but once you get trains, you'll be shuttling most of your stuff into your base.

people who don't use trains confuse me, train logistics is the most fun part of this game, and makes life hella easy. I hated trains at first cause signals confused me so much, but once I realised how simply they work, making massive railway networks is the reason I've put about 56 hours into my current save.

You like train poo poo huh? I finished re-designing my main offload station now I have substations, demolished the old and built the new one in its place: behold!

This time it's all nice and neat, the cars all unload simultaneously, it has waiting space on the iron, copper, coal lines and it spits out 8 lovely full belts at the top. Locomotive fuel top up is provided by logistics delivering fuel cubes (I don't have roboports anywhere else yet). I got lucky and found a stone patch right next to an iron one so the bottom bay is the concrete train - 3 cars of stone, 1 car of iron (spare iron goes to the smelters). That's the concrete factory in the top right of the picture, once I get round to putting roboports all over the concreting can begin in earnest.

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches
Soooo... anyone have a link or a good explanation for the "smart" devices and the logic thingies?

Essentially Id like to do batch manufacturing to where all the separate parts were counted/collected into a batch and then manufactured.

... or i could just be overdoing it because... well.. because.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

Loopoo posted:

Thing is, I gotta lay down laser turrets in my outpost. Gun turrets just get obliterated before bots can repair it from spitters. Plus, I hate the logistics of having to visit the outpost myself to restock the belt that feeds gun turrets with ammo (I have a chest that I fill with ammo then an inserter that puts it onto a belt that loops round the outpost). The reason I'm so stingy with laser turrets is because I'm in a constant battle with oil, so I prefer keeping laser turrets for my super important stuff (ie main base).

I'll double-layer gun turrets in my outposts from now on and that should hopefully keep them protected.

Anyone else get a little anal when they check turrets and see some with 0 kills? I end up wanting to remove them but then worry that maybe one day biters will break in through that place.
It sounds like you've caught yourself in a catch 22: you need laser turrets to get sustainable oil set ups, but you need a sustainable oil set up for laser turrets. Don't be afraid of shuttering other battery users to mass produce turrets until your outposts are safe, especially blue science. Use blue science to rush advanced oil processing, then mop up red and green techs for a while to let you flood the battery users that let you ultimately make more batteries like laser turrets. Laser turrets are probably more important than robots and blue science at that point, maybe equal importance for accumulators. Your battery factories are solely for the defense industry until you've got outposts sewn up.

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
:dings:
Taco Defender
Just bought this game since it seems like it has Transport Tycoon Deluxe elements, and I can see that on the surface.

At what point does your screen become an industrialized organized maze like you see in the trailer? Right now I just have automated coal and mine drillers transporting their respective goods to smelters that turn them into iron plates, so I can research basic techs. It's a bare landscape, but obviously so since I just started.

Solumin
Jan 11, 2013
Things start picking up once you get Automation 1, Automation 2 and Logistics 1. That gets you more inserters, more belt types and crucially the first two tiers of assemblers, with which you can automate the construction of everything. And then you can start building your massively complex factory!

If you haven't done so, start mining copper so you can build an offshore pump and start making electricity. That'll let you use the yellow inserters and, more importantly, electric mining drills, which are much better than the burner versions you start with.

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
:dings:
Taco Defender

Solumin posted:

Things start picking up once you get Automation 1, Automation 2 and Logistics 1. That gets you more inserters, more belt types and crucially the first two tiers of assemblers, with which you can automate the construction of everything. And then you can start building your massively complex factory!

If you haven't done so, start mining copper so you can build an offshore pump and start making electricity. That'll let you use the yellow inserters and, more importantly, electric mining drills, which are much better than the burner versions you start with.

Yep, got that covered. I have a lab that is researching the basic techs, but I'm inputting goods manually at the moment.

RattiRatto
Jun 26, 2014

SneakyFrog posted:

Soooo... anyone have a link or a good explanation for the "smart" devices and the logic thingies?

Essentially Id like to do batch manufacturing to where all the separate parts were counted/collected into a batch and then manufactured.

Well the basic is the decider. You can input any signal, compare it to something and output a signal to a smart inserter. If the smart inserter is connected to a wire, it always works when the constrain you set is true.

What i use it for?
the Smarter Circuit mod lets you have a sensor to get how many of a item is inside a container. It outputs it as a signal with a item and a number -> attach it to a decider, if it's smaller than whatever you need -> activate smart inserter to feed your assembly line.

Mithaldu
Sep 25, 2007

Let's cuddle. :3:

Node posted:

Yep, got that covered. I have a lab that is researching the basic techs, but I'm inputting goods manually at the moment.
Whenever you deliver goods manually or craft something manually, good chance you're doing it wrong and should be working on complicating your setup. Also, many people here seem intent on to institute ORDNUNG UND SAUBERKEIT to a degree that weirds even me as a german out. If you want the organic fuckery from the trailer, just do your thing and automate all the things and never tear anything down. It becomes pretty glorious quickly.

And if you want an extra-hosed factory setup, make a new map with peaceful biters, but all biter settings on maximum and terrain fragmentation set to high. That way you'll have to build around hordes of biters and biter buildings, while any mis-step to hurt them will utterly gently caress you up.

Solumin
Jan 11, 2013

Node posted:

Then your next order of business should be to automate that! :science:

lohli
Jun 30, 2008
How quickly it gets to that point mostly depends on you.

I have a poor habit of scaling up my mining and smelting and some pretty basic construction to the point I can blow through lots of research very quickly but put off actually making use of that tech until I pretty much have to in order to make any more progress, so my factories tend to look like that later than I assume most others do.

But I've gotten back into the game after not playing for a while with a friend who is completely new to the game and ours has looked not too dissimilar since probably about 10 hours into our current game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

RattiRatto posted:

Well the basic is the decider. You can input any signal, compare it to something and output a signal to a smart inserter. If the smart inserter is connected to a wire, it always works when the constrain you set is true.

What i use it for?
the Smarter Circuit mod lets you have a sensor to get how many of a item is inside a container. It outputs it as a signal with a item and a number -> attach it to a decider, if it's smaller than whatever you need -> activate smart inserter to feed your assembly line.
That's all in the base game if I'm reading you right. Connect a smart chest and a smart inserter by circuit wire. Set inserter to pull when item < N. No mod, no decider.

That's probably the only useful use of circuits before you get the logistic network going, if you want to keep stocks of things that are less than 1 slot. If your stock is in multiples of slots, don't forget about slot restrictions in chests.

SneakyFrog posted:

I too have dreamed of a smart pull/made-to-order manufacturing line because the push manufacturing from a bus is totally wrong. But its not actually wrong because there's very little punishment for work in progress as long as you set up inventory control on your most expensive items.

Doing more complicated than the smartchest-smart inserter loop and you need a grasp on algorithmic math which is better taught in other circumstances. Including games if you're into that. Its also, as mentioned, completely superfluous.