Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Woolie Wool
Jun 2, 2006

I can go buy more. It's not like they're expensive.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

el dingo
Mar 19, 2009

Ogres are like onions
Heheh

Hohoho

Angry Lobster
May 16, 2011

Served with honor
and some clarified butter.
The lich in the gates district is the one with a chest containing long sword: daystar? I used a thief to pick the lock, grab the sword and use the ability of the sword to make the lich explode. It's a fun item against undead.

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer

Woolie Wool posted:

I can go buy more. It's not like they're expensive.
There's like 3 in the game, no?

Wizard Styles
Aug 6, 2014

level 15 disillusionist

Woolie Wool posted:

No, I don't because they confuse me. Is there a guide to sequencers and contingencies for dummies?
I think this hasn't really been answered. The short version is to generally use Sequencers for offense and Contingencies for defense.
For the level you're at you can combine Web and Glitterdust in a Minor Sequencer to disable groups. Or make one containing Magic Missile and Acid Arrow to interrupt spellcasters and put a DoT on them that'll hopefully interrupt them again later.
Contingency is pretty much Stoneskin/Improved Invisibility for when you're below 50% HP/rendered helpless.

Later on this really opens up and you can stack Greater Malisons combined with AoE debuffs, and eventually fire off three Horrid Wiltings at once. Or summon three illusionary copies of yourself with Project Image. High-level Cleric/Mages can do especially cool stuff with this, but they need to be really high-level.

e: Also, you may not be aware of this, but both Sequencers and Contingencies stick around until used, even if you rest. So there's not really a reason not to have one of each stored at all times. Although I often don't because resting twice just to renew them is the most :effort: thing.

Wizard Styles fucked around with this message at 20:31 on Mar 22, 2016

Woolie Wool
Jun 2, 2006

jBrereton posted:

There's like 3 in the game, no?

I walked into a random shop in the city and bought three of them.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!

Woolie Wool posted:

I walked into a random shop in the city and bought three of them.

The Adventurers Mart has basically the whole games supply (and doesn't restock)

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

MrL_JaKiri posted:

The Adventurers Mart has basically the whole games supply (and doesn't restock)

And as hard as that lich seems, there's a much worse one later that you will wish you had saved them for.

Sleep of Bronze
Feb 9, 2013

If I could only somewhere find Aias, master of the warcry, then we could go forth and again ignite our battle-lust, even in the face of the gods themselves.
God knows I've too many mods to be sure that this is vanilla behaviour, but I think you can pick up other ProUndead scrolls at some, if not all, of the temples, Oghma included. The supply is small and exhaustible but it's not like ProMagic. There are also alternatives for that particular challenge.

Suspicious
Apr 30, 2005
You know he's the villain, because he's got shifty eyes.
It's protection from magic scrolls that are in extremely short supply (2 at the adventurer's mart). Protection from undead scrolls are common.

You can also easily cheese the daystar lich with azuredge.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

MEANWHILE it's time for another FMT solo ironman!

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

OK that was the shortest ironman in history, about 6 seconds (setting traps to kill Firebeard, crit failed and killed myself)

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

MrL_JaKiri posted:

OK that was the shortest ironman in history, about 6 seconds (setting traps to kill Firebeard, crit failed and killed myself)

Mine managed to last until the fight with the assassin in the barracks and I deliberately chose not to run.

Woolie Wool
Jun 2, 2006

Arivia posted:

And as hard as that lich seems, there's a much worse one later that you will wish you had saved them for.

If you're thinking of the one I am thinking of, I've already heard of his gimmick and even read a strategy by which any PC who has been to Spellhold can reliably solo his second form, if I can get my party out of the area in time. I'm annoyed that the details of the strategy spoiled a pivotal plot moment though.

But what is with the scarcity of items in this game? BG1 handed out protection from whatever scrolls and potions of noun giant strength like candy. At the end of BG1 I was popping the strength potions every fifth fight or so because they were so abundant.

Woolie Wool fucked around with this message at 22:48 on Mar 22, 2016

Washout
Jun 27, 2003

"Your toy soldiers are not pigmented to my scrupulous standards. As a result, you are not worthy of my time. Good day sir"
Oh man why didn't I ever cheese liches with korgan and azuredge before? It's loving hilarious.

Suspicious
Apr 30, 2005
Probably because azuredge can only be used by good aligned character.

Metal Meltdown
Mar 27, 2010

MrL_JaKiri posted:

This might be my favorite ironman death, surpassing the old one where a wild mage surges on the first fight and summons one of the greater demons who then pastes him.

Washout
Jun 27, 2003

"Your toy soldiers are not pigmented to my scrupulous standards. As a result, you are not worthy of my time. Good day sir"

Suspicious posted:

Probably because azuredge can only be used by good aligned character.

Hilarity takes precedence over your "rules"

DJ Dizzy
Feb 11, 2009

Real men don't use bolters.
Which mage specialization is the best for a first playthrough? Will I be missing any crucial spells by giving up necromancy?

Washout
Jun 27, 2003

DJ Dizzy posted:

Which mage specialization is the best for a first playthrough? Will I be missing any crucial spells by giving up necromancy?

Sorcerer is far more powerful than the spec mages. There are not enough spells at any given level that you will be missing out from the reduced spell selection. Not having to memorize more breach or dispel magic or whatever is also a big advantage.

Woolie Wool
Jun 2, 2006

DJ Dizzy posted:

Conjurer is the best spec mage, divination isn't as useful as the other schools, and party members can take up the slack (for instance, an inquisitor paladin is a better user of True Sight than any wizard). Necromancer has by far the coolest name but probably the worst in gameplay because you lose several useful defensive spells.

Also lore question: is there any particular reason why liches have to be evil? What if the lich is just an otherwise decent guy with completely out of control thanatophobia and the talents to make himself immortal?

Woolie Wool fucked around with this message at 23:46 on Mar 22, 2016

AngryBooch
Sep 26, 2009

Woolie Wool posted:

Also lore question: is there any particular reason why liches have to be evil? What if the lich is just an otherwise decent guy with completely out of control thanatophobia and the talents to make himself immortal?

They're called Archliches or Baelnorn in that case.

Washout
Jun 27, 2003

Woolie Wool posted:

Conjurer is the best spec mage, divination isn't as useful as the other schools, and party members can take up the slack (for instance, an inquisitor paladin is a better user of True Sight than any wizard). Necromancer has by far the coolest name but probably the worst in gameplay because you lose several useful defensive spells.

I thought the ritual included human sacrifice, or that is always what I inferred anyway. Similar to the dark sun dragons, but on a smaller scale.

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

Becoming a lich generally involves doing a lot of terrible poo poo, I think- Baelnorn are special Elf liches of some kind. Besides, the afterlife(s) is generally a pleasant place for most souls. Don't fear the reaper :v:.

Wizard Styles
Aug 6, 2014

level 15 disillusionist

Washout posted:

Sorcerer is far more powerful than the spec mages. There are not enough spells at any given level that you will be missing out from the reduced spell selection. Not having to memorize more breach or dispel magic or whatever is also a big advantage.
Sorcerers can be an issue for a first playthrough, though. At least without a guide telling you what spells to pick, and I've seen some lovely guides for these games. Sorcerers also only really end up stronger than Mages, throughout most of the game it's pretty much back and forth. Also, if we're talking about a full trilogy playthrough here, it's worth noting that Sorcerers don't reach level 5 spells in BG1.

DJ Dizzy posted:

This is how I'd rate them:

Better than regular Mage
Conjurer - There are like five Divination spells really worth casting and the best one - True Seeing - can be handled by Clerics, Druids, or an Inquisitor. Or even a Thief if you take one that keeps leveling the class.

More or less even
Illusionist - You get to be a Gnome, which is a big plus because it means +5 to all e: some Saving Throws at 18 Constitution. Apart from that, you lose Skull Trap and Horrid Wilting, which are the best damage spells. Animate Dead is another loss, but one that's far more easily made up for since Clerics get it, too.
Invoker - You don't have Sleep in early BG1, which is problematic. Then losing Enchantments doesn't matter for a time. Then it matters a lot because so much of mid-level crowd control is Enchantment stuff. Greater Malison, Emotion, Chaos, all Enchantment. There are ways to make up for it, but it can be awkward. In the long run Greater Malison is the one really big loss; you'll need a backup Mage to take care of that.
Wild Mage - :classiclol:

Okay if you really want the extra slot or for flavor reasons
Diviner - Pretty iffy. You don't get a familiar, so right from the start you're down a bunch of extra HP and more importantly a pet to keep you company. Apart from that, losing all those summoning spells doesn't even hurt since you still get the best ones anyway, but you do give up Power Words.
Necromancer - lovely defenses in the early game because you don't get Invisibility spells and Mirror Images. Later on you can rely on Stoneskin and Abjuration spells. But then you don't get the ability to make illusory copies of yourself which is incredibly powerful.

Don't do this
Abjurer - Losing Transmutation is really bad. Stoneskin is one of the best defensive spells, you don't get it. Slow is a good general purpose debuff, you don't get it. Haste and Improved Haste are some of the best buffs, you don't get them. Time Stop is Time Stop, you don't get it.
Enchanter - Okay in BG1. Really bad in the long run because you don't get Sequencers and Contingencies.
Transmuter - You lose too many defensive options and most of the spells that let you get rid of other Mages' defenses.

Wizard Styles fucked around with this message at 00:29 on Mar 23, 2016

Iretep
Nov 10, 2009

Washout posted:

I thought the ritual included human sacrifice, or that is always what I inferred anyway. Similar to the dark sun dragons, but on a smaller scale.

I havent found any specific information what it takes to become a lich but ive heard someone say an innocent soul needs to be sacrificed. Most sources seem to be pretty unspecific about it and just say they need to do some crime against universe that will put you on the gods poo poo list.

Suspicious
Apr 30, 2005
Doesn't becoming undead involve losing your soul in the first place?

Incoming Chinchilla
Apr 2, 2010
Pretty chill lich in Watcher's Keep...as long as he gets up on the right side of the bed.

I'm not sure I understand protection from magic spells. I remember it working for some no-name lich, but I popped one on for the beholder caverns and instantly got hosed up. I think I basically struggle once the game goes outside the normal rules. Like with beholders having "beholder magic" and Kangaxx not casting normal Imprisonment.

I am also struggling with Aurumach Rilmani who seems to have a constant 12 mirror images and improved alacrity. I am thinking the only solution is a carpet of spike traps and a welcome party of Planetars.

Angry Lobster
May 16, 2011

Served with honor
and some clarified butter.

Incoming Chinchilla posted:

I am also struggling with Aurumach Rilmani who seems to have a constant 12 mirror images and improved alacrity. I am thinking the only solution is a carpet of spike traps and a welcome party of Planetars.

It's been some time since I played Throne of Bhaal, but lots of dudes shouting "I shall prevail" is among the fondest memories I have of it. I should grab the EE version and play without exploiting the poo poo out of it.

Iretep
Nov 10, 2009

Suspicious posted:

Doesn't becoming undead involve losing your soul in the first place?

I think in forgotten realms undead are powered by negative energy which tends to drain the soul. Liches store their soul in a phylactery so they get around this unfortunate side effect.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
Is there a way to use mods on the Android version, I bought BG2 for my tablet awhile ago and want to play, but I shudder at having to go through the opening dungeon again and want to use Dungeon be gone.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

After the failed Ironman earlier I've restarted the No Magic Items (which, for the purposes of this, I've taken to mean scrolls and Things That Need Identifying) run, with a slightly better roll - 90 ain't bad for 30s work!

Currently running around Beregost, having killed Firebeard twice and picked up my pretty much endgame equipment once again (a Quarterstaff, Leather Armour and Plate Mail). 4/4, progressing well.

Sleep of Bronze
Feb 9, 2013

If I could only somewhere find Aias, master of the warcry, then we could go forth and again ignite our battle-lust, even in the face of the gods themselves.
We have an ongoing Ironman thread, you know. :v:

As to liches, while the Monstrous Manual statblock makes them 'any evil' alignment, the detail provided in the actual entry adds more nuance:

quote:

The lich is, perhaps, the single most powerful form of undead known to exist. They seek to further their own power at all costs and have little or not interest in the affairs of the living, except where those affairs interfere with their own.
Although the lich has no interest in good or evil as we understand it, the creature will do whatever it must to further its own causes. Since it feels that the living are of little importance, the lich is often viewed as evil by those who encounter it. In rare cases, liches of a most unusual nature can be found which are of any alignment.

So, rather than raw evil, it's more a matter of the intensely focused drive it takes to:
become an 18th+ level mage,
decide that you haven't done enough and want to live forever,
choose as your method of immortality mostly killing yourself, grabbing your soul as it tries to break free, and stuffing it in a jar,
actually carry that out,
survive it.

Plus a seasoning of becoming an ancient and immortal creature of even greater power afterwards. Not absolute evil, so much as a lack of any empathy for the puny, ephemeral mortals. Though the last bit about liches of any alignment trends back toward the usual 2e thing of 'these are the rules, but there are probably exceptions and you can break them if you want'. It tried not to be overly doctrinal.

Woolie Wool
Jun 2, 2006

MrL_JaKiri posted:

After the failed Ironman earlier I've restarted the No Magic Items (which, for the purposes of this, I've taken to mean scrolls and Things That Need Identifying) run, with a slightly better roll - 90 ain't bad for 30s work!

Currently running around Beregost, having killed Firebeard twice and picked up my pretty much endgame equipment once again (a Quarterstaff, Leather Armour and Plate Mail). 4/4, progressing well.

The old UI actually looks better in some respects than the EE one.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

MrL_JaKiri posted:

Do Cleric/Thieves still have the worst loving hot bar imaginable?

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

I believe Emmanuelle is shit, though Emmanuelle 2, Emmanuelle '77 and Goodbye, Emmanuelle may be very good movies.

Woolie Wool posted:

The old UI actually looks better in some respects than the EE one.

in all respects so long as you don't have it at some high modern resolution. no higher than 1360x768.

Woolie Wool
Jun 2, 2006

Why couldn't they just have used that UI and used nearest neighbor scaling on everything, like every old sprite game source port ever? If you're not going to make a real modern UI, why bother?

Woolie Wool fucked around with this message at 03:26 on Mar 23, 2016

Sleep of Bronze
Feb 9, 2013

Things I should remember: one of the outcomes on Sphere of Chaos is disintegration. Well, that's a reload. Thanks Vongoethe.

TOB's so loving weird. A lich promising a merchant twenty years of success in exchange for his soul, and then pursuing the man when he reneges on the contract, stealing the souls of his loved ones as he goes, should be an adventure module, an event of significance. Not a random-rear end single area sidequest with roughly equal importance given to it as stopping a girl getting shaken down by idiot mercenaries.

Washout
Jun 27, 2003

What makes the game so great is that there is just SO MUCH poo poo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

Vikar Jerome posted:

in all respects so long as you don't have it at some high modern resolution. no higher than 1360x768.

I think it looks good whatever

Skwirl posted:

Do Cleric/Thieves still have the worst loving hot bar imaginable?

Yes.

Sleep of Bronze posted:

We have an ongoing Ironman thread, you know. :v:

This is 10,000% not an Ironman. It's gonna get pretty hard.