Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Black88GTA
Oct 8, 2009

kastein posted:

as for the MJ and powertrain... working on it.

:v:

Sorry, I'll stop. These just keep popping up around here. If this was in any way legit, I can't imagine someone hasn't grabbed it already anyways.

http://longisland.craigslist.org/cto/5499375801.html

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

daslog
Dec 10, 2008

#essereFerrari

Black88GTA posted:

:v:

Sorry, I'll stop. These just keep popping up around here. If this was in any way legit, I can't imagine someone hasn't grabbed it already anyways.

http://longisland.craigslist.org/cto/5499375801.html

Who wants a 4 cylinder Suburban?

blindjoe
Jan 10, 2001
Looks like someone stole the other 4, so maybe that guy?

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

"Clean title" because they did not report that rollover, I guess. That truck has at the very least been on its side.

Turbo Fondant
Oct 25, 2010

I'd wager vandalism or a sideswipe of some sort, I've seen a few of these things go greasy side up and there's nowhere near enough damage for this one to have gone over.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof
Perfect candidate for a weekend mudder.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Tommychu posted:

I'd wager vandalism or a sideswipe of some sort, I've seen a few of these things go greasy side up and there's nowhere near enough damage for this one to have gone over.

Hmm, yeah, maybe a sideswipe. You can see the parallel damage halfway up the b and c pillars and that's what took out the windows, too.

literally a fish
Oct 2, 2014

German officer Johannes Bolter peeks out the hatch of his Tiger I heavy tank during a quiet moment before the Battle of Kursk - c:1943 (colorized)
Slippery Tilde
Someone sent me a "Request to update" for the amazon wishlist :eek: so I added a couple of things to it that are not something anyone would ever buy us and sent back a confirm.

Most of the issue is that I'm sure there will be some new stuff we'll need but I can't add it until the engine is locked down, sorry K. McL. :v:

SuperDucky
May 13, 2007

by exmarx
I just did a tuneup on the RV (6.8 V10 Econoline) which makes me yearn for progress on this. Come on, warm weather!

literally a fish
Oct 2, 2014

German officer Johannes Bolter peeks out the hatch of his Tiger I heavy tank during a quiet moment before the Battle of Kursk - c:1943 (colorized)
Slippery Tilde
Well the good news is, from Ken's thread (regarding fixing the MJ so he has something that can transport motors);

kastein posted:

Seriously though, once I make sure the ebrake works, fix the minor running issue, fill the washer fluid tank, scrape 4.5 years worth of accumulated tree debris and dust off the windshield, and replace the wiper blades, I think it's ready to register and get inspected! :aaa:

kastein posted:

I tested the e-brake to see if it would hold Sunday night and the answer is HAHAHAHHAA NO.

So it looks like rather than loving with old lovely drum brake parts I am going to just shotgun another 100 bucks worth of crap at it and have brand new rear brakes too. I don't think I've ever willingly spent money on drum brakes for a dana 35 but goddammit I want this truck on the road three weeks ago.

Rockauto order #billionty placed... due for delivery Friday.

We're starting to sound like fusion power here. Always two weeks away. :v:

But nah, should be good :3: and as Wes said he won't really have any time to work on it until May anyway, so que sera sera.

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

You don't need style when you've got strength!

I'm trying to plan my trip to NJ to pick up a car to line up with the next work weekend. Not sure if I can get the guy to store it until May but I'll try.

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

NitroSpazzz posted:

I'm trying to plan my trip to NJ to pick up a car to line up with the next work weekend. Not sure if I can get the guy to store it until May but I'll try.

Where in NJ?

VVV Ah. I'm down south. VVV

PainterofCrap fucked around with this message at 20:34 on Mar 27, 2016

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

PainterofCrap posted:

Where in NJ?

Farmingdale, about 10.5 hours from me which is really going to suck. Not sure if I'll leave super early and try to pick up the car that day or spend the night in the area then pick up the car in the morning and head to Adiabatic's place or just drive home.

literally a fish
Oct 2, 2014

Slippery Tilde
Still no real updates yet. Adiabatic has been super busy with Foresters and work and class, and Ken is still cursing the very existence of the blue MJ.

sooooooon.

Coasterphreak
May 29, 2007
I like cookies.

NitroSpazzz posted:

Farmingdale, about 10.5 hours from me which is really going to suck. Not sure if I'll leave super early and try to pick up the car that day or spend the night in the area then pick up the car in the morning and head to Adiabatic's place or just drive home.

Isn't that Mooecow's stomping ground?

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

Coasterphreak posted:

Isn't that Mooecow's stomping ground?

It may be, I'm not familiar enough with the NEAI crew to know. My next three weekends are booked but the three after that are open, going to try to fit the trip in there somehow. Two coworkers have offered their trucks and I'll probably just grab a u-haul trailer in NJ so I don't have to tow an empty trailer 700 miles.

Adiabatic
Nov 18, 2007

What have you assholes done now?
Come on by if you need a place to stay. I've got the guest bed you can share with Badger.

The weekend of May 14th I woun't be here, but I should be around every other weekend for the next couple months.

Adiabatic
Nov 18, 2007

literally a fish posted:

Still no real updates yet. Adiabatic has been super busy with Foresters and work and class, and Ken is still cursing the very existence of the blue MJ.

sooooooon.

Speaking of, TerribleRobot you wanna set a date for random unneeded poo poo extraction and fuel pump shenanigans? With the BMW and now the Forester, if I don't set a date for it then it won't get done.

Anyone else reading is welcome to join.

Wrar
Sep 9, 2002

Soiled Meat
I'm pretty tied up doing house stuff but I'm sure my wife won't mind if I disappear for a day so she has the house to herself. :)

Maybe I can bring my dog and we can have a dogenado.

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

Adiabatic posted:

Come on by if you need a place to stay. I've got the guest bed you can share with Badger.

The weekend of May 14th I woun't be here, but I should be around every other weekend for the next couple months.

14th I might be busy anyway, will try to set something up one of the other weekends.

If any e30, forester, van work is going on I'll stick around and offer commentary. poo poo might even be able to help with e30 related crap.

Adiabatic
Nov 18, 2007

E30 work then Gorester teardown/work. After that, Sneep work (there's a clunk and I also have some more poo poo to install) then Camacho needs a slight lift and a 4WD front axle at the same time.

Van work whenever based on manpower and parts availability, since it gets worked on at the doorway instead of the lift.

Motorcycle work whenever since it doesn't exactly need the lift either.

There's plenty work to be had for the rest of the year, I assure you.

Terrible Robot
Jul 2, 2010

FRIED CHICKEN
Slippery Tilde

Adiabatic posted:

E30 work then Gorester teardown/work. After that, Sneep work (there's a clunk and I also have some more poo poo to install) then Camacho needs a slight lift and a 4WD front axle at the same time.

Van work whenever based on manpower and parts availability, since it gets worked on at the doorway instead of the lift.

Motorcycle work whenever since it doesn't exactly need the lift either.

There's plenty work to be had for the rest of the year, I assure you.

We also need to install that EJ25 in my Foz at some point, although I swear to god the knocks have gotten quieter.

Let me know whenever you're going to be working on the van/gorester/bmw, I'm usually not doing anything on weekends.

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

Found an alternative powerplant for you:

http://bringatrailer.com/2016/04/06/incredible-find-seventh-generation-chrysler-turbine-engine/

It was on eBay. In Michigan.

literally a fish
Oct 2, 2014

Slippery Tilde
While that would make my dick ROCK HARD (I have a huge boner for the Chrysler Turbine Car), I do not have the time or money to make that even remotely functional :v:

Adiabatic
Nov 18, 2007

Van update:

I replaced the tire chock with a wood chock.

Pics soon

Magnus Praeda
Jul 18, 2003
The largess in the land.

Adiabatic posted:

Van update:

I replaced the tire chock with a wood chock.

Pics soon

Can it chock wood and, if so, how much?

:buddy:

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007
It's like there's a soup can in front of me!

Adiabatic posted:

Speaking of, TerribleRobot you wanna set a date for random unneeded poo poo extraction and fuel pump shenanigans? With the BMW and now the Forester, if I don't set a date for it then it won't get done.

Anyone else reading is welcome to join.

Hey so I live in Fredericksburg and have a bunch of tools and free time and apparently now I'm an "actor" instead of a "mechanic" so I wanna wrench again. When can I roll down and help you? Bonus if you live on the same side of Richmond as Tandy Leather. Also Terrible Robot owes me a beer and this looks like my best chance to collect. :chord:

Adiabatic
Nov 18, 2007

Splizwarf posted:

Hey so I live in Fredericksburg and have a bunch of tools and free time and apparently now I'm an "actor" instead of a "mechanic" so I wanna wrench again. When can I roll down and help you? Bonus if you live on the same side of Richmond as Tandy Leather. Also Terrible Robot owes me a beer and this looks like my best chance to collect. :chord:

Whatup guy. I'm not working on the van until an engine is able to make it, but I'll be donging around with the Gorester tomorrow. You're welcome to come chill.

literally a fish
Oct 2, 2014

Slippery Tilde
I'm waiting to find out what the damage to my wallet turns out to be for this debacle with the Subaru (which seems to never end) before I find out if I can afford to buy a drivetrain from a wrecker or if I need to pester Ken some more (Ken seems to have enough on his table at the moment but with the Gorester fixed I suspect you've got stuff to do for a while)

literally a fish
Oct 2, 2014

Slippery Tilde
Is this close to anyone? http://norfolk.craigslist.org/cto/5554936789.html

Body's all beat up but I don't want the body I just want the sweet sweet internals.

Basically any 1999+ Sierra/Silverado (non-HD, light duty only, not the GMT400 based HDs which died in 2000ish) with a V8 is the name of the game here. There's a few other options but these are the easiest to narrow down to remotely.

E: TerribleRobot may have found us an Avalanche donor locally, which would be a nice change from how things usually go with my projects :v: so hold up for now, but yee.

literally a fish fucked around with this message at 04:37 on May 1, 2016

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012

I'd say come nab mine out of whatever jy it goes to, but it would be in florida and its almost certainly going to lkq plus any sensors are probably toast. Its a shame, the 4l60 was rebuilt with all 4l75 components, the 5.3 still ran like a top. :v:

literally a fish
Oct 2, 2014

Slippery Tilde

Elmnt80 posted:

I'd say come nab mine out of whatever jy it goes to, but it would be in florida and its almost certainly going to lkq plus any sensors are probably toast. Its a shame, the 4l60 was rebuilt with all 4l75 components, the 5.3 still ran like a top. :v:

That would have been perfect, dammit LKQ :v:

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
Sucks, but the harness is trashed too as I recall. I still wonder why that thing burned up on you.

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012

It had started charging at all kinda of fucky voltages, so I'm guessing the voltage regulator was going fucky. Maybe it was letting too many electrical pixies into the wires and it caused it? I unno. Every ground seemed to decide it hated life and melted or the insulation on it caught fire. :iiam:

Tremek
Jun 10, 2005

Let me know when/who/where to ship my HP Tuners Pro box to so you guys can tune this thing and not just be livin' on a prayer. If budget allows, dyno vid required.

literally a fish
Oct 2, 2014

Slippery Tilde
Anyone live in/near Norfolk, VA? http://norfolk.craigslist.org/cto/5528223645.html

Though this was posted 29 days ago and seems way too cheap so there has to be something up or it'll be gone. VIN checks out though.

ExplodingSims
Aug 17, 2010

RAGDOLL
FLIPPIN IN A MOVIE
HOT DAMN
THINK I MADE A POOPIE

Something tells me that car doesn't have 33 rows. I'd demand a discount for that lie!

literally a fish
Oct 2, 2014

Slippery Tilde
I have just been told norfolk is a hellhole to get into and out of, so norfolk shadytruck is a no-go :v:

glyph
Apr 6, 2006

I've been on a similar hunt for an lq4. The one in my '99 2500 seems to have spun a cam bearing, and well, if it's coming out anyway... Might as well have one to gently caress up and flip later two to make one. I have no idea what I'll see once I get in there. The truck was ridden hard and put away wet for YEARS of plow work, but minimal usage otherwise.

I've been searching '6.0' on craigslist.org/pts- a quick look at the dc craigslist has me thinking these engines are a crapton cheaper up here.

https://binghamton.craigslist.org/pts/5548702801.html no mention of harness, but he seems an enterprising fellow.

E: https://albany.craigslist.org/pts/5502692167.html

glyph fucked around with this message at 03:13 on May 7, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

literally a fish
Oct 2, 2014

Slippery Tilde
Honestly given the absolutely ridiculous speed at which you can spend thousands on nickel and dime crap, I would really like to buy a running and driving donor vehicle, because that guarantees almost every part needed is already present (and Adiabatic/TerribleRobot/whoever wants to help can just gank the entire wiring harness and all components from the b-pillar forward then scrap the shell)

By the time I pay the $650 people want for a motor and $700 people want for a 4L80E trans (never mind all the wiring, a new Painless harness alone is like $600 and even a custom eBay harness is $400) I might as well have dropped $1500-2000 on an entire truck. Plus it makes it really easy to confirm everything is in good working order before mercilessly gutting the thing, and means we can use Tremek's graciously loaned HPTuners box to shut all the security etc off on the PCM before removal so it'll (briefly) run standalone sitting on the ground with no issues.

The only downside is that most truck 4L80Es are 4WD not 2WD, but it looks like there's a number of trans shops that will do a rebuild/conversion for a few hundred bucks (and TerribleRobot reckons he can do the conversion himself anyway with enough flat benchspace, though that does involve disassembling the entire transmission)

A friend of Adiabatic's is going to be near a couple of 6.0/4L80E trucks (a suburban and a silverado) in the DC metro area tomorrow and is going to check out / lowball at least one for me, so we'll see how that goes :v:

Alternatively if anyone can find anything with an LM7 or LQ4 and is willing to drive/trailer it to Richmond, :getin: (and i'm still open to the kastein junkyard option, but ken is fairly busy these days and we're gradually running out of time, it's not super critical just yet but now Adiabatic is done with school for a few months we should get poo poo going)

• Locked thread