Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Erg
Oct 31, 2010

Serious Frolicking posted:

I find it kind of odd that they had an arc focusing on a girl who was casually killed off in a book released years earlier. Like, why bother? Due to the entire index/railgun continuity taking place over such a short period of time Frenda is going to die in at most what, a month after this story? poo poo, she might not even have lasted long enough for the mackerel date.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry

Kleptobot posted:

There was no body found, so I'm sure she'll turn out to have survived after being teleported or cloned or some other excuse later on.
I'm not sure that would leave a body anyway, not to mention they were probably just looking around that floor.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
Minor villains from the 800 different all caps english name evil groups die all the time. You know, like Frenda.

Twiddy
May 17, 2008

To the man who loves art for its own sake, it is frequently in its least important and lowliest manifestations that the keenest pleasure is to be derived.

Minor villains from the 800 different all caps english name evil groups die all the time. You know, like Frenda.
All the no names that get focus in side materials that cause people to have a real interest in them living later. Could so easily be a case of "circumstances change."

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007

Twiddy posted:

All the no names that get focus in side materials that cause people to have a real interest in them living later. Could so easily be a case of "circumstances change."

What, is Frenda no longer dead then?

Erg
Oct 31, 2010

She is not, in my heart

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"
Frenda's not dead, she just had to split

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
It's not too late for them to introduce time travel. Wouldn't be the dumbest thing in that series.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry

No but it appears (after spelunking into the void that is the A Certain wikia) that in latest arcs there are significant characters introduced whose whole schtick is "was friends with or related to Frenda".

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Did I just say that out loud~~?!!!
Takagi San!!!!!

Ohhh God, the charisma! It's also hilarious how quickly the roles were reversed, but hey, it was a foregone conclusion given it's Takagi. :kimichi:

Tarezax
Sep 12, 2009

MORT cancels dance: interrupted by MORT

Nate RFB posted:

No but it appears (after spelunking into the void that is the A Certain wikia) that in latest arcs there are significant characters introduced whose whole schtick is "was friends with or related to Frenda".

Latest chapter: RIP Frenda.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
It's kind of weird that hunter girl survived what with the grenades-in-the-mouth thing

least she looks neat, kinda like some sort of anime schoolgirl Shredder

Law Cheetah
Mar 3, 2012
hinomaru zumo is fun, i like it

resurgam40
Jul 22, 2007

Battler, the literal stupidest man on earth. Why are you even here, Battler, why did you come back to this place so you could fuck literally everything up?

Law Cheetah posted:

hinomaru zumo is fun, i like it

Hinomaru Zumo surprised me with how drat good and engaging it is; the art is clear and understandable and the author strikes a good balance shounen style awesomeness and what is realistically feasible, as well as having a good sense of drama and tension. It's both informative and a lot of fun, and now is a good time to pick it up because the current arc, if not ended, is definitely on the denouement.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Ao no Exorcist (the manga, not anime which I hear goes off the rails plot-wise half-way through) is a really solid and enjoyable series. It's pretty cliche and won't be some classic, but it has nice art and is generally really competently written. I recommend it if anyone needs to scratch the "supernatural shounen fighting manga" itch.

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Ytlaya posted:

Ao no Exorcist (the manga, not anime which I hear goes off the rails plot-wise half-way through) is a really solid and enjoyable series. It's pretty cliche and won't be some classic, but it has nice art and is generally really competently written. I recommend it if anyone needs to scratch the "supernatural shounen fighting manga" itch.

I have only watched most of the Anime but I just stared to find it difficult to watch anymore. The fact that they pushed the most boring girl as the possible love interest was bad enough, but the way they tried to handle the circumstances that lead to the birth of the main character I couldn't decide if it was hilarious or just stupid. So the idea is that the main character and his brother are quite literally the sons of the devil. In the Manga their birth is a combination of boredom and the possibility of a new tool to be used in Satan's evil plans. In the Anime it is played of as some type of noble action between him and the main character's mother. Of course the church finds out about this and she is burned at the stake for the fact that she willingly slept with and conceived the children of Satan, the main foe of the church who wants to take over the earth and do generally evil things. Somehow we are supposed to view this as an extremely evil action, as in burning said protagonist's mom to death as the show draws a parallel to what happened in real life witch trials. What the show fails to grasp is that what happened in said trials was purely persecution of innocent woman in bullshit trials. Unlike in the show where the protagonists mom had quite literally given birth to demon spawn after loving the devil which she had done on purpose.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Hunt11 posted:

I have only watched most of the Anime but I just stared to find it difficult to watch anymore. The fact that they pushed the most boring girl as the possible love interest was bad enough, but the way they tried to handle the circumstances that lead to the birth of the main character I couldn't decide if it was hilarious or just stupid. So the idea is that the main character and his brother are quite literally the sons of the devil. In the Manga their birth is a combination of boredom and the possibility of a new tool to be used in Satan's evil plans. In the Anime it is played of as some type of noble action between him and the main character's mother. Of course the church finds out about this and she is burned at the stake for the fact that she willingly slept with and conceived the children of Satan, the main foe of the church who wants to take over the earth and do generally evil things. Somehow we are supposed to view this as an extremely evil action, as in burning said protagonist's mom to death as the show draws a parallel to what happened in real life witch trials. What the show fails to grasp is that what happened in said trials was purely persecution of innocent woman in bullshit trials. Unlike in the show where the protagonists mom had quite literally given birth to demon spawn after loving the devil which she had done on purpose.

I'm only really talking about the manga, which so far (I'm up to chapter 36) has continued to just be the exorcist kids doing various missions that are only tangentially related to a greater plot arc. I noticed a clear difference in quality of the show around half-way through and turned out to be right about it departing from the manga around then, so I stopped watching it.

I kind of agree about Shiemi being boring, but for some reason I don't mind her. Normally I hate that kind of character, but for some reason she doesn't bother me much. I like the dynamic between Rin and his emotionally conflicted brother and feel that it's done pretty well. I feel like his brother's emotional hang-ups regarding Rin (a combination of jealousy/admiration/anger) are pretty believable and I could actually believe him doing something evil somewhere down the line if he continues down this path. Obviously it's irrational and Rin hasn't really done anything wrong (aside from occasionally being a dumb-rear end), but I can see where he's coming from.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
Ao no Exorcist is pretty good, but the gag spinoff is better.

Soylentbits
Apr 2, 2007

im worried that theyre setting her up to be jotaros future wife or something.
With all the Lums around should we have a Lum retrospective thread? Urusei Yatsura pretty much paved the way for every harem manga and anime we have. To-love-ru never stopped being an inferior Urusei Yatsura with nipples.

madmac
Jun 22, 2010

Soylentbits posted:

With all the Lums around should we have a Lum retrospective thread? Urusei Yatsura pretty much paved the way for every harem manga and anime we have. To-love-ru never stopped being an inferior Urusei Yatsura with nipples.

Urusei Yatsura had nipples all over the place dude.

Soylentbits
Apr 2, 2007

im worried that theyre setting her up to be jotaros future wife or something.

madmac posted:

Urusei Yatsura had nipples all over the place dude.

To-love-ru never stopped being an inferior Urusei Yatsura with a moderately higher nipple to comic ratio.

Skychrono
May 11, 2007

I'll make you cry like I did when my daddy died!
Oh yeah, what's with the Lum brigade?

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

If you must blink, do it now.
Some mysterious masked avatar buyer has spent nearly $400 giving random people Lum avatars.

Asimo
Sep 23, 2007

Soylentbits posted:

Seriously, reading Urusei Yatsura now seems kind of predictable and cliche at times until you remember it was literally doing all that harem comedy stuff in 1978. There's so many transparent ripoffs of its premise that it's sort of blended into their own genre, and that's kinda crazy.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

Bad Seafood posted:

Some mysterious masked avatar buyer has spent nearly $400 giving random people Lum avatars.

I'm glad of it.

Irritated Goat
Mar 12, 2005

This post is pathetic.

Bad Seafood posted:

All it does so far is make me hear https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VcqRhotJpkg in my head :dance:

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

The group that does Imhotep says they plan to start it up again, in the meantime they released another draft for the pilot chapter, part of the volume bonus of book 2.

http://bato.to/reader#0059950f4951e6fb

this ones way more like the final version of the comic than the other draft. Some funny bits that make it still worth reading though.

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

I came across an interesting new one today. Match Girl. Basically, there's this enigmatic girl figure who appears with a box of old strike-on-box matches that can turn fantasies into reality. But if you use them instead to fulfill wishes, it might not turn out as you'd wanted. It's kind of like a Monkey's Paw sort of thing. Pretty neat, and great art too!

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

DrSunshine posted:

I came across an interesting new one today. Match Girl. Basically, there's this enigmatic girl figure who appears with a box of old strike-on-box matches that can turn fantasies into reality. But if you use them instead to fulfill wishes, it might not turn out as you'd wanted. It's kind of like a Monkey's Paw sort of thing. Pretty neat, and great art too!

Match Girl is seinen.

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4oij6q6HS9Y

It got a cool PV a bit back too, for the published volumes.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

DrSunshine posted:

I feel like stories with Faustian bargains like this don't really work well unless the protagonists are people you can relate to (or at least empathize with). The whole point is for the reader to think "Wow, this seemingly reasonable/good wish actually caused harm in the end!" In this case the characters all seem like lovely people and most of the wishes they've made have been transparently stupid (though I did think it was funny when the "I want all females to love me" wish lead to a bunch of female animals jumping on the guy).

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

Out of 5 stories we have right now, 3 are people getting their comeuppance and 2 aren't, in some really cool inversions of the usual monkey paw narrative. I only think the first comeuppance story is an an unlikable protagonist too. The others are more nuanced and psychological twilight zone style breakdowns of the protagonist. It's going more for that style anyways, where the wishes are just revealing the flaws in their own heart.

There are many ways to tell stories.

Sharkopath fucked around with this message at 21:28 on May 3, 2016

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

Also the artist is supremely good which helps. If you haven't read their one shot work you should cause they rule.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
I was pretty lukewarm on fire brigade of flames, but the latest fight was rad as gently caress.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
The final chapter of Rin just came out.

http://kissmanga.com/Manga/Rin-HAROLD-Sakuishi/Ch-041---End-?id=273581

I'm a bit disappointed it ended here, but overall it was an excellent series.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

If you must blink, do it now.

I was pretty lukewarm on fire brigade of flames, but the latest fight was rad as gently caress.
I liked the first chapter or so then cooled on it immediately.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Captain Invictus posted:

The final chapter of Rin just came out.

http://kissmanga.com/Manga/Rin-HAROLD-Sakuishi/Ch-041---End-?id=273581

I'm a bit disappointed it ended here, but overall it was an excellent series.

Oh man, I'm really bummed that this had a kinda rushed ending. I was worried that it would never satisfactorily tie together the various plot threads introduced. Such a shame, because I really enjoyed this series.

edit: Did they ever address the plot point about him having to make a choice, with one option leading to disaster or whatever?

Ytlaya fucked around with this message at 08:13 on May 14, 2016

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
They did in this chapter.

Honda wasn't actually seriously interested in him, which would be romantically disastrous for him

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Captain Invictus posted:

They did in this chapter.

Honda wasn't actually seriously interested in him, which would be romantically disastrous for him

Oh, I guess that makes sense, I would assuming it would be something more serious than being rejected by a girl, though I guess given Rin's ability him choosing that "route" might also result in making her "unavailable".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Takagi-San Ch 29. Aw c'mon, Nishikata can't be that thick, can he? When a girl makes excuses to spend time with you, sidles up to you, and constantly talks about who she likes?