Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe

My Q-Face posted:

Had a loving massive Carne Asada Burrito after my workout today.

gently caress ya :respek:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rodenthar Drothman
May 14, 2013

I think I will continue
watching this twilight world
as long as time flows.
Had trouble getting my shirt off after the gym today. My arms just wouldn't go that high.

Yorkshire Pudding
Nov 24, 2006

So I've been seriously working out for the first time in my life, going on about 7 months now. I'm about 6'3 and when I started I was about 67kg and have managed to jump up to about 82kg now. I was basically skin and bones before, now I'm managing to get some muscle. My target weight would be like 90kg. I'm not into body building at all, I mostly want to get stronger for the physical hobbies I have.

I usually go to the gym 3-4 days a week, rotating upper/lower days. I don't have many free weights (only gym within biking distance is pretty small), so I have to use mostly machines. I do leg presses to replace squats, and I'm at about 130kg right now, but it's starting to take a toll on my already bad knees. Is it reasonable to just stay at this weight for a long time and still be gaining muscle? I'm just concerned that if I keep pushing upwards I'm going to gently caress up my knees.

Also, how do I work my obliques without hurting them? I do planks and straight-leg raises for core strength, but aI can't find an exercise that for obliques that doesn't end up hurting me. I tried side-planks but it wrecks my shoulders, and then I tried just doing oblique crunches but I must be doing something wrong because after a few of those my sides start to hurt. I tore my fascia when I was in college and I feel like I could do it again if I'm not careful.

Fallows
Jan 20, 2005

If he waits long enough he can use his accrued interest from his savings to bring his negative checking balance back into the black.
shoulders: done for

today was a good day

Rodenthar Drothman
May 14, 2013

I think I will continue
as long as time flows.

Tequila Sunrise posted:

'Ouch my fascia.'

Have you tried any resistance band stuff/cable? Obliques are mainly twisting workouts and one-arm workouts. If you're worried about tearing stuff, I think doing workouts mainly for the abs with the obliques helping out (so they still get work) may be best (source of most of my knowledge: doing intense sports stuff and then talking about PT stuff with the trainer I've had for 1.5 years).

So, you can do this either with a cable like that or with a resistance band. You can also grab something heavy (how heavy depends on you, so don't start out too heavy) in one hand and do farmers walks, walking lunges, or, if you're getting more advanced, waiter's walks or waiter's lunges (you don't have to have one in each hand, and hell - you don't even have to have proper kettlebells, just make sure it's something you can hold onto) (oh, and if you're feeling REALLY adventurous and you have kettlebells, try holding one straight up instead of letting it hand down against your arm. That sucks.) As you get more advanced, you can do things like bringing the back leg up to your chest while stepping into a new lunge, too. All that stabilization works the core really well, and obliques a good amount too. If I remember more stuff I'll post it.

Edit: Can't help too much on the knee stuff, I'm not really 100% confident talking about most machines and poo poo.

Edit2: You can also do variations of the cable pulls like being down on one knee and pulling down, down on one knee and pulling up, wood-chops, and more. Just make sure if you're down on one knee that the knee closest to the cable is down if you're pulling up, or up if you're pulling down. It makes more sense once you're doing it.

Rodenthar Drothman fucked around with this message at 02:57 on Mar 23, 2016

Yorkshire Pudding
Nov 24, 2006

I don't have cable machines unfortunately, but the waiter walk actually looks pretty good. Thank you!

skimothy milkerson
Nov 19, 2006

Dum Cumpster posted:

Get an ab wheel, they're cheap and one of the best ab workouts

not this one http://broscience.co/mike-ohearn-now-selling-an-ab-wheel-aka-frog-fitness-for-1495/

always be ab wheelin'

https://vk.com/video73899913_163393987

skimothy milkerson fucked around with this message at 05:04 on Mar 23, 2016

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

I chalk up before I ab wheel.

skimothy milkerson
Nov 19, 2006

FogHelmut posted:

I chalk up before I ab wheel.

lol if you dont chalk up before you jerk it

just lol

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LpTeiSKiCgc

50. French. Homeless. More yoked than you.

FedEx Mercury
Jan 7, 2004

Me bad posting? That's unpossible!
Lipstick Apathy
In America we don't give our social parasites free nutritious food just for existing, that's why you won't see that on our streets.

DisgracelandUSA
Aug 11, 2011

Yeah, I gets down with the homies

Swolebros, I took the threads advice and tried the abductor / adductor machines. Thighs blasted 10/10, would blast again.

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe
thats the housewife machine

Rodenthar Drothman
May 14, 2013

I think I will continue
as long as time flows.
The vagina tightener.

Knight
Dec 23, 2000

SPACE-A-HOLIC
Taco Defender

Rodenthar Drothman posted:

The vagina tightener.
No, that machine is in the back and secured with a keypad.

FedEx Mercury
Jan 7, 2004

Lipstick Apathy

Chinatown posted:

thats the housewife machine

I'm my own housewife, it's tailor made for me.

Al Cowens
Aug 11, 2004

by WE B Bourgeois
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tDVsDrEVBDk&t=453s

FedEx Mercury
Jan 7, 2004

Lipstick Apathy
Two terrible tastes that taste worse together.

The Revenant
Feb 2, 2016

by Lowtax
Im stuck at like.... 45+25 on each side of the bar on bench press. and I can do like 4 reps of it and can't go up anymore. what do I do?

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe

The Revenant posted:

Im stuck at like.... 45+25 on each side of the bar on bench press. and I can do like 4 reps of it and can't go up anymore. what do I do?

Im stuck at this but with 45+35 X5. Turn your music up louder? Chug preworkout? Ive just started doing more incline and closed grip benches though.

My Q-Face
Jul 8, 2002

A dumb racist who need to kill themselves
Keep doing what you can, just reduce your rest period until you can do 5. Alternately get a spotter to lift it for you on each rep and soon you'll be doing 3x15!

Tolkien minority
Feb 14, 2012

EAT MORE for MORE GAINS

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uPSIdqVdieo

FedEx Mercury
Jan 7, 2004

Lipstick Apathy
I sprained my wrist doing presses on Friday and then I made it worse yesterday doing chest presses. gently caress.

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
http://i.imgur.com/1XyL3SI.mp4

FUCK SNEEP
Apr 21, 2007

The Revenant posted:

Rodenthar Drothman
May 14, 2013

I think I will continue
as long as time flows.

The Revenant posted:

Taking a break from benching and doing shoulder stuff helped me a lot. Also, do more dumbbell presses. Sure, you're not going to be able to get the numbers as high (my max bench is like 195lbs, my max dumbbell is like 65lbsx2), but it works your stabilization and shoulders a lot. Start working that in lieu of bench half the time and it should increase your bench.

(also, doing presses et al on the swiss ball helped me a lot)

E: what the gently caress is Crazylegs McGee doing up there?!

E2: I'm like 152 lbs, and the increase for me by doing more shoulder work was about 20 lbs over a few month period. I don't super aim for high numbers though, and haven't ridden that train 'till the wheels fall off yet, so I don't know how far it'll take you.

Rodenthar Drothman fucked around with this message at 03:24 on Mar 24, 2016

FUCK SNEEP
Apr 21, 2007

Taking a break from benching and doing shoulder stuff helped me a lot. Also, do more dumbbell presses. Sure, you're not going to be able to get the numbers as high (my max bench is like 195lbs, my max dumbbell is like 65lbsx2), but it works your stabilization and shoulders a lot. Start working that in lieu of bench half the time and it should increase your bench.

warming up to do those old powerlifter upside-down squats, duh

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

Put more weight on the bar. You'll have no choice but to lift it. Lift or die.

Pushups all day helped me with bench but that could be a bad thing to do, who knows.

BIG-DICK-BUTT-FUCK
Jan 26, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

DisgracelandUSA posted:

Swolebros, I took the threads advice and tried the abductor / adductor machines. Thighs blasted 10/10, would blast again.

:cheers:

Rodenthar Drothman
May 14, 2013

I think I will continue
as long as time flows.

FogHelmut posted:

Put more weight on the bar. You'll have no choice but to lift it. Lift or die.

Pushups all day helped me with bench but that could be a bad thing to do, who knows.

Pushups actually work both chest and shoulders (and if you do it a certain way, your back) - so they do help! Sometimes I pair bench press (not at max) with clapping pushups because I loving hate myself.

damn horror queefs
Oct 14, 2005

say hello
say hello to the man in the elevator

the best part about this isn't the dude repeatedly pounding on his own butthole with his heel -- a powerful technique though it be -- but the astonished onlooker in the top left trying to figure out what the gently caress he's watching

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe
hes just loosening up for a supa set guys

FUCK SNEEP
Apr 21, 2007

DisgracelandUSA posted:

welcome to the club

Pinche Rudo
Feb 8, 2005

First time lifting in three weeks due to injury. Lots of squats. Thigh status = blasted

Dum Cumpster
Sep 12, 2003

*pozes your neghole*
I push pressed 220 into my chin

My Q-Face
Jul 8, 2002

A dumb racist who need to kill themselves

Clearly he fell off the machine and landed on his head and is having a seizure but everyone in the gym is either laughing at him or staring at him like what the gently caress. What a bunch of assholes.

That or he's preparing for some kind of new position for butt sex.

FedEx Mercury
Jan 7, 2004

Lipstick Apathy

Dum Cumpster posted:

I push pressed 220 into my chin

It could be worse, you could have pressed it into the bridge of your nose.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

E2: I'm like 152 lbs, and the increase for me by doing more shoulder work was about 20 lbs over a few month period. I don't super aim for high numbers though, and haven't ridden that train 'till the wheels fall off yet, so I don't know how far it'll take you.

You're weak as poo poo and no one should follow any of your advice on principle.

Dum Cumpster
Sep 12, 2003

*pozes your neghole*

sassassin posted:

You're weak as poo poo and no one should follow any of your advice on principle.

lol I was going to say that but figured I'd been too much of a negative nancy lately

"I want to get better at this thing"
"stop doing it"
:downsa:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FedEx Mercury
Jan 7, 2004

Lipstick Apathy
Does isolating rotator cuffs help with the bench or is that more brotherly science?

• Locked thread