Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
CJ
Jul 3, 2007

Asbungold

Bob Quixote posted:

This a serious post or sarcasm? I know that fantasy as a whole tends to have some pretty wonky and terrible stuff in terms of racial politics and the Other and all that jazz, but its not like Blizzard does a much better job when they have their own fantasy races act as exaggerated stand-in's for different racial stereotypes (unless its one of the 'pretty' races in which case its just white guy, short angry drinky white guy, really short gadgety white guy or purple guy who is kind of a hippie).

What racial stereotype is orcs?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

CJ posted:

Gee, what possible racial stereotype could the tribal brown skinned savages who worship spirits be.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
Tauren are way more analogous to Native Americans than orcs are. The orcs kind of just give me Celtic pagan vibes, skin color aside.

CJ
Jul 3, 2007

Asbungold

Lurdiak posted:

Gee, what possible racial stereotype could the tribal brown skinned savages who worship spirits be.

Well spit it out, because to me they are just a non-descript pre-civilization tribal race. They don't seem to appropriate any one culture like the Taurens or Trolls do.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

CJ posted:

Well spit it out, because to me they are just a non-descript pre-civilization tribal race. They don't seem to appropriate any one culture like the Taurens or Trolls do.

Yeah, the orcs are as congruent of an ethnicity as Ben Kingsley in Iron Man 3 is.

You can see elements of Native Americans, black people, Jews, etc, but it's all a mixture together.

Bob Quixote
Jul 7, 2006

This post has been inspected and certified by the Dino-Sorcerer

Grimey Drawer

CJ posted:

I guess if you wanted to get super specific you could say they have a sort of asian/mongol/samurai vibe since their Blademaster unit goes around with a big flag banner on their back and a curved sword and is all about things like codes of honor and other stereotypical asian stuff that gets thrown into roleplaying games, but honestly even without being a specific racial stereotype "noble savage" is still pretty bad just by itself.

Here's a GIS of that Blademaster unit I mentioned: https://www.google.com/search?q=orcish+blademaster&biw=1366&bih=667&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwitqq-oo9PLAhXG6iYKHRKnAmcQ_AUIBigB

Toady
Jan 12, 2009

The Orcish Horde draws much from European fears of the peoples of the Asian Steppe, who were allies of Sauron in Lord of the Rings.

Vanderdeath
Oct 1, 2005

I will confess,
I love this cultured hell that tests my youth.

Bob Quixote posted:

I guess if you wanted to get super specific you could say they have a sort of asian/mongol/samurai vibe since their Blademaster unit goes around with a big flag banner on their back and a curved sword and is all about things like codes of honor and other stereotypical asian stuff that gets thrown into roleplaying games, but honestly even without being a specific racial stereotype "noble savage" is still pretty bad just by itself.

Here's a GIS of that Blademaster unit I mentioned: https://www.google.com/search?q=orcish+blademaster&biw=1366&bih=667&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwitqq-oo9PLAhXG6iYKHRKnAmcQ_AUIBigB

The Orcs are the only race in the Warcraft universe allowed to have more than one distinct culture, which is funny.

They doubled down on "ALL HUMANS ARE WHITE" so hard in WoW that they had the progenitors to humanity be giant Viking dudes from the North.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010
Jesus loving Christ. I remember when I was in primary school, I legit thought Warcraft was better at world building than any book series. It's cool to have reminders that, as dumb as I am now, I used to be even dumber.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Blizzard kitchen sinking the orcs with all sorts of one-off characters who don't matter doesn't make them more complex than their clear roots post-Warcraft 3, the American Indians. They get herded onto reservations after a conflict that destroys their ancient lands, for Christ's sake.

It would be nice if the parallel went deeper than "Hollywood's idea of Indians + they are green and spirits are real."

Their natural allies are the buffalofolk. I mean really. Orcs have a mishmash of discarded creative ideas and aesthetics pinned to them from retcon after retcon, but the central theme is unclear only to deliberately obtuse goonlords.

I guess there's also trolls, "indigenous cultures according to H.P. Lovecraft."

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

OneThousandMonkeys posted:

Blizzard kitchen sinking the orcs with all sorts of one-off characters who don't matter doesn't make them more complex than their clear roots post-Warcraft 3, the American Indians. They get herded onto reservations after a conflict that destroys their ancient lands, for Christ's sake.

I thought they were sold into chattel slavery.

Ikasuhito
Sep 29, 2013

Haram as Fuck.

computer parts posted:

I thought they were sold into chattel slavery.

Chattel slavery would imply that they did something. Aside from Thrall I believe most of them just spent their days sitting around being covered in their own filth.

Except in an alternate reality where Blackmoore is king and the orcs were sold off into slavery. But that was from one of their dumb books I believe.

The Bee
Nov 25, 2012

Making his way to the ring . . .
from Deep in the Jungle . . .

The Big Monkey!

Groovelord Neato posted:

sadly it is now.

I thought Warcraft is Hearthstone now.

Toady
Jan 12, 2009

Relatable themes from history are tossed into their backstory in the third game, but their fictional roots are in European stereotypes of North Asian clans and plundering barbarians. Tolkien: "...squat, broad, flat-nosed, sallow-skinned, with wide mouths and slant eyes; in fact degraded and repulsive versions of the (to Europeans) least lovely Mongol-types."

CJ
Jul 3, 2007

Asbungold

It would be nice if the parallel went deeper than "Hollywood's idea of Indians + they are green and spirits are real."

Their natural allies are the buffalofolk. I mean really. Orcs have a mishmash of discarded creative ideas and aesthetics pinned to them from retcon after retcon, but the central theme is unclear only to deliberately obtuse goonlords.

Actually the Tauren are the Native Americans. Just look at this guy.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.

CJ posted:

Why can't both be Native Americans?

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

CJ posted:

All of them?

Vanderdeath
Oct 1, 2005

I will confess,
I love this cultured hell that tests my youth.

I've got into debates about how racist the Trolls are on these very forums but goddamn, there really is no excuse for that poo poo in 2016. My maternal family's from the islands and there's nothing more galling than listening to a 40-something year old white dude from California (Metzen) putting on a bad catch-all pan-Caribbean creole accent for both the leader of the Darkspear Trolls and a personification of Baron Samedi. Couple that with the fact that literally 98% of the race is evil, cannibalistic, superstitious caricatures that shuck and jive humorously while getting murdered en masse and you have something that's supremely uncomfortable in my opinion.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

CJ posted:

man if only the games looked like that.

Vanderdeath posted:

I've got into debates about how racist the Trolls are on these very forums but goddamn, there really is no excuse for that poo poo in 2016. My maternal family's from the islands and there's nothing more galling than listening to a 40-something year old white dude from California (Metzen) putting on a bad catch-all pan-Caribbean creole accent for both the leader of the Darkspear Trolls and a personification of Baron Samedi. Couple that with the fact that literally 98% of the race is evil, cannibalistic, superstitious caricatures that shuck and jive humorously while getting murdered en masse and you have something that's supremely uncomfortable in my opinion.

i saw the commercial for the new hearthstone expansion and lmao

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

Snowman_McK posted:

Jesus loving Christ. I remember when I was in primary school, I legit thought Warcraft was better at world building than any book series. It's cool to have reminders that, as dumb as I am now, I used to be even dumber.

I always thought Diablo (the first one) had the best/coolest lore and background out of the Blizzard properties. It's also the only property that wasn't originally created by Blizzard.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

then they hosed it all up in 3.

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 198 days!
Tauren are awesome. They're specifically plains Indians, although ultimately they're a pastiche of every cultural element associated with native people (so they have Totem poles, which is more of a West Coast thing).

Trolls are like basically just racist caricatures and it can get pretty embarassing.

Orcs are well intentioned clumsiness. Being enslaved and then escaping in order to mass emigrate *reasons* has kind of uncomfortable overtones. Returning to and relearning one's own culture is a great theme, on the other hand. I think the ultimate influence is a sort of neopagan pro-indigenous perspective rather than Orcs being not-Africans or something.

There was one promotional video for the Warhammer MMO that related races to British class sterotypes. That was cool and also 100x funnier than this conversation.

Parachute
May 18, 2003
So how will The One and Only get snuck in to this one?

Paolomania
Apr 26, 2006

The orcs are clearly "what if Moses was born the son of Ghengis Khan?" (Along with "what if the Mongol horde were really a guiltless slave army")

Paolomania fucked around with this message at 17:47 on Mar 22, 2016

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

Parachute posted:

So how will The One and Only get snuck in to this one?

I can only assume you mean Thrall. Have no fear they've already shown him, he's in it as an extremely minuscule CGI baby

Parachute
May 18, 2003
Nah, I'm talking about the hit song The One and Only by Chesney Hawkes used in MOON (alarm clock sound) and Source Code (boyfriend's ringtone).

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

Parachute posted:

Nah, I'm talking about the hit song The One and Only by Chesney Hawkes used in MOON (alarm clock sound) and Source Code (boyfriend's ringtone).

There's only one one and only in my eyes, and it's our spiritual king orc jesus

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

Toady posted:

The Orcish Horde draws much from European fears of the peoples of the Asian Steppe, who were allies of Sauron in Lord of the Rings.

Looking at this older stuff I don't get how the artist being an asianophile with a furry fetish came as a surprise to me.

Paolomania
Apr 26, 2006

No Mods No Masters posted:

There's only one one and only in my eyes, and it's our spiritual king orc jesus

Thrall is way more Moses than Jesus.

Mediv: Go down Thrall, way down in Kalimdor, tell Mannoroth "Let my people go!"

CJ
Jul 3, 2007

Asbungold
After reviewing the evidence, i think the Orcs are racist against the Japanese because they have samurai, are always going on about their honour and lived in internment camps.

Immortan
Jun 6, 2015

by Shine
I'm predicting that this will earn less than a 20% RT score and below $50M domestic.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

This whole discussion reminds me of the petty bickering about whether Klingons are Russian or Japanese.

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost

Grendels Dad posted:

This whole discussion reminds me of the petty bickering about whether Klingons are Russian or Japanese.

lol obviously they're Mongolian.

Stunt Rock
Jul 28, 2002

DEATH WISH AT 120 DECIBELS
I have no idea how to feel about this movie at this point.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Applewhite posted:

lol obviously they're Mongolian.

Obviously.

SpaceAceJase
Nov 8, 2008

and you
have proved
to be...

a real shitty poster,
and a real james
I've never played World of Warcraft and have no interest in the MMO genre, but I'm nostalgic for the old real-time strategy games and this movie matches the aesthetic of Warcraft II which I am fond of.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

SpaceAceJase posted:

I've never played World of Warcraft and have no interest in the MMO genre, but I'm nostalgic for the old real-time strategy games and this movie matches the aesthetic of Warcraft II which I am fond of.

I think that's why my dad had told me he's really looking forward to the movie too. It just reminds him so much of the RTS games that he loves. He's never touched WoW, but played the RTS games for the last 2 decades. He still plays Warcraft 3 everyday after work (when he's not playing Banished).

I don't have the heart to tell him I think it looks pretty bad to me, haha. Hoping to be proven otherwise when we go see it, because I also really enjoyed the RTS games and I really liked Moon and Source Code.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

SpaceAceJase posted:

People playing WoW said this about Warlords of Draenor. Don't get your hopes up.

Paolomania
Apr 26, 2006

teagone posted:

I think that's why my dad had told me he's really looking forward to the movie too. It just reminds him so much of the RTS games that he loves. He's never touched WoW, but played the RTS games for the last 2 decades. He still plays Warcraft 3 everyday after work (when he's not playing Banished).

I don't have the heart to tell him I think it looks pretty bad to me, haha. Hoping to be proven otherwise when we go see it, because I also really enjoyed the RTS games and I really liked Moon and Source Code.

If your dad is expecting the orcs to be Young Metzen's slapstick heavy-metal satanic mongol horde from the early RTS he will be sorely disappointed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

Paolomania posted:

If your dad is expecting the orcs to be Young Metzen's slapstick heavy-metal satanic mongol horde from the early RTS he will be sorely disappointed.

He plays Warcraft III every day so probably not.

• Locked thread