Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
style / art gimmick combo you want to see next
This poll is closed.
Commodore 64 hi fi 16 colors Drawing goons drooling over anime (or muscle men) 35 20.71%
Everything in MSPaint Black and White and Undertale Characters 22 13.02%
CGA in CYMK tones and rising stars of gaming like Hololens and Star Citizen 36 21.30%
Only Purple and Waluigi and Kirby ship fiction 76 44.97%
Total: 169 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
Lady Naga
Apr 25, 2008

Voyons Donc!

8-Bit Scholar posted:

Even though the cult is the most boring part of Silent Hill. Bad Opinions indeed.

lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

My favorite part of Silent Hill is the part involving goofy women with silly voices summoning gods

rather than the twisted psychological landscapes made flesh by unknowable powers to torture and enlighten their victims

wait no, scratch that, reverse it.

EDIT: That being said, Silent Hill 3 is the best of the bunch.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!
silent hill 3 owns because heather is the best

Lady Naga
Apr 25, 2008

Voyons Donc!
Like if you think the cult is boring then w/e obviously that's your subjective opinion and I can't change it, but considering 2 out of the 4 main titles have them as antagonists, with the other two dealing with the fallout of the cult's actions, maybe Silent Hill really isn't the series for you?

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

Lady Naga posted:

Like if you think the cult is boring then w/e obviously that's your subjective opinion and I can't change it, but considering 2 out of the 4 main titles have them as antagonists, with the other two dealing with the fallout of the cult's actions, maybe Silent Hill really isn't the series for you?

SH2 has virtually nothing related to the cult in it, and even the ritual ending is a new game plus bonus (and for all we know could be related to a totally different cult).

1 and 3 are direct sequels to each other, which makes sense. There didn't need to be a sequel, but the imagery connects well, and Heather's psyche is a major factor in the story; in a way, the world of two and the world of one are most elegantly married in Silent Hill 3, which suggests that the cult really has no better understanding over what they are doing than anyone else does, and that the monsters you see in the games may be the result of warped perceptions. They look like monsters to you?

4 is...sort of about the cult, but the cult doesn't seem like the same cult from the others one, because there's no women with goofy voices trying to summon god. In fact, nobody's trying to summon god, and the story's about a child's need for a mother, ultimately, and how that need can be perverted by the cruelty of man.

Lady Naga
Apr 25, 2008

Voyons Donc!

8-Bit Scholar posted:

SH2 has virtually nothing related to the cult in it, and even the ritual ending is a new game plus bonus (and for all we know could be related to a totally different cult).

1 and 3 are direct sequels to each other, which makes sense. There didn't need to be a sequel, but the imagery connects well, and Heather's psyche is a major factor in the story; in a way, the world of two and the world of one are most elegantly married in Silent Hill 3, which suggests that the cult really has no better understanding over what they are doing than anyone else does, and that the monsters you see in the games may be the result of warped perceptions. They look like monsters to you?

4 is...sort of about the cult, but the cult doesn't seem like the same cult from the others one, because there's no women with goofy voices trying to summon god. In fact, nobody's trying to summon god, and the story's about a child's need for a mother, ultimately, and how that need can be perverted by the cruelty of man.

SH2 happened specifically because the cult corrupted the spiritual power of the town, which allowed it to manifest evil monsters from the characters' psyche. SH4 very much is about the cult from 1 + 3, specifically about how it twisted and warped a damaged person into doing horrible things.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Is 33% off a good deal for Fallout 4 or should I keep waiting.

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

a good fallout 4 deal would be with the devil, in which he would throw the game in the trash for me in exchange for whatever his bag is

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

Lady Naga posted:

SH2 happened specifically because the cult corrupted the spiritual power of the town, which allowed it to manifest evil monsters from the characters' psyche. SH4 very much is about the cult from 1 + 3, specifically about how it twisted and warped a damaged person into doing horrible things.

Corrupted the spiritual power of the town? I guess...maybe? If you wanna see it that way.

The cult always seemed to me like people meddling with forces they do not understand. Claudia isn't even reflective of the cult's true intentions, because she was an extremist even among them. None of the cultists actually seem to fully understand what they are doing, and every ritual ends up backfiring on them in some violent way. I guess the first game's was the closest to a success, but even that has at least a fifty percent chance of going tits up depending on what ending you're after.

The cult itself isn't interesting; the spiritual powers of the town are. It was manifesting monsters from Alessa's psyche in the first game too, I don't think the cultists really orchestrated that.

LawfulWaffle
Mar 11, 2014

Well, that aligns with the vibes I was getting. Which was, like, "normal" kinda vibes.

Lady Naga posted:

Maybe but SH2 is mostly about a man who's killed himself and is experiencing a terrifying version of What Dreams May Come. I don't have an encyclopedic knowledge of the game, but that's what my gut tells me.

Lady Naga
Apr 25, 2008

Voyons Donc!

8-Bit Scholar posted:

Corrupted the spiritual power of the town? I guess...maybe? If you wanna see it that way.

The cult always seemed to me like people meddling with forces they do not understand. Claudia isn't even reflective of the cult's true intentions, because she was an extremist even among them. None of the cultists actually seem to fully understand what they are doing, and every ritual ends up backfiring on them in some violent way. I guess the first game's was the closest to a success, but even that has at least a fifty percent chance of going tits up depending on what ending you're after.

The cult itself isn't interesting; the spiritual powers of the town are. It was manifesting monsters from Alessa's psyche in the first game too, I don't think the cultists really orchestrated that.

It's not "if you want to see it that way" it's literally what happens, there's evidence of this all throughout 2 and 1.

LawfulWaffle posted:

Maybe but SH2 is mostly about a man who's killed himself and is experiencing a terrifying version of What Dreams May Come. I don't have an encyclopedic knowledge of the game, but that's what my gut tells me.

Okay but the events that happen in 2 would not have happened without those that transpired in the first.

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

Lady Naga posted:

Okay but the events that happen in 2 would not have happened without those that transpired in the first.

I think you're pulling this out of your rear end. Silent Hill was a weird place well before the cult or the town even existed there. What evidence supports this?

The cult can't be behind everything, because the true villain of Silent Hill is explicitly shown in Silent Hill 2: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GUDcSeUvkOw

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

"my mother was a bitch" -- mira the dog, shattered memories

Lady Naga
Apr 25, 2008

Voyons Donc!

8-Bit Scholar posted:

I think you're pulling this out of your rear end. Silent Hill was a weird place well before the cult or the town even existed there. What evidence supports this?

The cult can't be behind everything, because the true villain of Silent Hill is explicitly shown in Silent Hill 2: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GUDcSeUvkOw

1) No it wasn't, Kaufman specifically says "something's gone horribly wrong" in 1, so the fog and the monsters is a new development

2) If you just want to go with Silent Hill 2, there are numerous examples of characters and memos talking about how the town has a spiritual aura about it (Mary specifically says "this whole town used to be a sacred place")

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

Lurdiak posted:

I'd wait. The mod creation kit isn't out yet.

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

Also cults aren't ever interesting or scary.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Lurdiak posted:

Wait til it's a 100% off

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica
I really liked Silent Hill 2 but a lot of that was the complete surprise of having it be some weird metaphorical purgatory out of nowhere and the series has more or less been poisoned since then because if they do the cult stuff then people will complain because it's too straightforward while if they do metaphorical personal hell stuff then they complain that it's ripping off SH2.

The Walrus posted:

isnt it funny how anti video game violence pearl clutching in the media went away entirely with jack thompson? we thought it was a whole bunch of ppl but it was just one angry old man the whole time

It's more that games became one of the biggest entertainment industries on earth around the same time that kids who grew up on the NES became old enough to vote so it was no longer a scapegoat that was politically convenient to attack.

Also, "pearl clutching" is the worst creepazoid buzzword since "white knight".

Ciaphas posted:

Jump Scares work on me nearly every single time

My first time through the original Resident Evil was a loving adventure let me tell you, especially that one hallway the dogs jumped through the windows into. Eesh that was a bad night

The jump scare in Bioshock Infinite loving ruined me because it's the only one in the whole game and I was completely unprepared for having a Boy of Silence materialize behind me.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

LawfulWaffle posted:

That's only the super bad ending though

Mistle
Oct 11, 2005

Eckot's comic relief cousin from out of town
Grimey Drawer

Jay Rust posted:

I'd wait. The mod creation kit isn't out yet.

:agreed:
Modkit will help the DLC price tank, and the game will go on sale to push DLC.

Jay Rust posted:

Also cults aren't ever interesting or scary.

I dunno, the creepy cultists from RE4 were right up there. Maybe part of it was the tone, the whispering, and stuff, but stories about "my Spanish-speaking grandma freaked out because she heard me playing RE4 at night" were interesting at the time :shrug:

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

It was kind of annoying but I also actually liked how which ending you got in SH 2 came from relatively subtle things like examining the knife too much or loving off and leaving Maria alone.

Lady Naga
Apr 25, 2008

Voyons Donc!

Sleeveless posted:

I really liked Silent Hill 2 but a lot of that was the complete surprise of having it be some weird metaphorical purgatory out of nowhere and the series has more or less been poisoned since then because if they do the cult stuff then people will complain because it's too straightforward while if they do metaphorical personal hell stuff then they complain that it's ripping off SH2.

Silent Hill should've ended with 3. Having 4 around is fine but it's a series that wrapped up everything that needed to be said in the third instalment and has been treading water ever since. It's far too high a concept to make a franchise out of compared to something like Mario or Sonic or even Resident Evil.

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

it is both a monkey and a boombox
Dead Rising had good cultists. You're never really quite sure what they're trying to accomplish (maybe they aren't either?) but they sure do like running around in yellow raincoats.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Sakurazuka posted:

It was kind of annoying but I also actually liked how which ending you got in SH 2 came from relatively subtle things like examining the knife too much or loving off and leaving Maria alone.

I like how the description of the letter keeps changing over the course of the game until eventually it's just a blank envelope. you never have to look at it again but if you do it's a neat little thing.

Lady Naga
Apr 25, 2008

Voyons Donc!
I like the giant, dark courtyard with the gallows that's completely silent except for hoofbeats that have no origin.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Or the prison bit where you can hear someone breathing and moving around but there's nothing there

I wanna play it again, shame the HD versions sucked rear end

Ometeotl
Feb 13, 2012

It's MISSEL! Or SISSLE!
I confused myself...

I liked Shattered Memories. That is my input on the Silent Hill discussion.

Lady Naga
Apr 25, 2008

Voyons Donc!

Sakurazuka posted:

Or the prison bit where you can hear someone breathing and moving around but there's nothing there

I wanna play it again, shame the HD versions sucked rear end

There's a PC version that you can run if you have a computer older than the turn of the century.

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica

Lady Naga posted:

Silent Hill should've ended with 3. Having 4 around is fine but it's a series that wrapped up everything that needed to be said in the third instalment and has been treading water ever since. It's far too high a concept to make a franchise out of compared to something like Mario or Sonic or even Resident Evil.

Yeah, I loved 3 and it was a logical end to the series with Heather's story bringing everything full circle. It's pretty telling that Team SIlent's final game was completely different and most just using the franchise for marketing purposes.

I kind of feel for the western devs who were contracted to make the future installations, at that point Konami was just using it as a marketing bullet point so they had to do the best with what Konami would allow.

See: Silent Hill 0rigins being a Resident Evil 4-esque over-the-shoulder shooter until fans complained and they had to completely redo it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-fT1dPXqVYM

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

Lady Naga posted:

2) If you just want to go with Silent Hill 2, there are numerous examples of characters and memos talking about how the town has a spiritual aura about it (Mary specifically says "this whole town used to be a sacred place")

Yes, and in that same game it mentions that there were Native American tribes who worshipped the place well before colonists came; Pyramid Head dates back to the Civil War era, etc etc. The cult is a relatively recent addition to SH, and its powers existed well before its formation. SH2 has nothing directly connecting it to the actions of the cult, certainly not in a way that would mean it a direct result of the cult's actions.

As for Kaufman, indeed, something HAD gone wrong; Alessa's spirit had taken on an otherworldly quality and was reshaping the town based around her nightmares and fears. Cheryl was IIRC Alessa's childlike innocence and good nature while the Alessa encountered in the game is a manifestation of all of her anger, fear and sadness at her tortured death and tormented life. She's become bitter and evil because she's seperated from her other self.

She's reborn as Heather at the end of the first game, so Alessa, who is responsible for the monsters in the first game, has nothing to do with 2 whatsoever. WHY SH2 happened is one of its best unsolved mysteries. The cult is an answer to questions that shouldn't be answered.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

have you seen my little girl cheryl

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

spookiest cult in a game?

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

Jay Rust posted:

spookiest cult in a game?

Jesus was the son of a Car Painter.

VoidBurger
Jul 18, 2008

A leap into the void.
The burger in space.

Lurdiak posted:

We should probably stop talking about how bad Homecoming and Downpour are before Voidburger comes and talks to us about how our own expectations made the games bad or whatever.
I'm a little late, but I love Homecoming like a pathetic two-legged kitten that has to walk around like a T-rex. It's so sad, but gosh darnit, it's trying so hard, how can you not have a soft spot for it? :kiddo:

Also Downpour had really good themes that it just fumbled around with and I was bummed out about the fumbling. It had lofty goals that didn't quite gel (probably because they were focused on the open-world aspect they were trying to get right.)

Also I think I had worse/stronger opinions about the "Correct" games 7 years ago and have changed a lot since then after seeing how many SH fans come off like extreme dickwads that way. So I've tried to tone it down and be more easy-going about it since.

Lady Naga
Apr 25, 2008

Voyons Donc!

8-Bit Scholar posted:

Yes, and in that same game it mentions that there were Native American tribes who worshipped the place well before colonists came; Pyramid Head dates back to the Civil War era, etc etc. The cult is a relatively recent addition to SH, and its powers existed well before its formation. SH2 has nothing directly connecting it to the actions of the cult, certainly not in a way that would mean it a direct result of the cult's actions.

As for Kaufman, indeed, something HAD gone wrong; Alessa's spirit had taken on an otherworldly quality and was reshaping the town based around her nightmares and fears. Cheryl was IIRC Alessa's childlike innocence and good nature while the Alessa encountered in the game is a manifestation of all of her anger, fear and sadness at her tortured death and tormented life. She's become bitter and evil because she's seperated from her other self.

She's reborn as Heather at the end of the first game, so Alessa, who is responsible for the monsters in the first game, has nothing to do with 2 whatsoever. WHY SH2 happened is one of its best unsolved mysteries. The cult is an answer to questions that shouldn't be answered.

The cult has been around for hundreds of years, as evidenced by both this, and this, and this

Silent Hill's Ancient Gods: A Study of Their Etymology and Evolution posted:

When this religion fell into the
hands of immigrants, it was deeply
influenced by their own original
Christian beliefs.

Inscribed Jennifer Carroll Statue posted:

"Victim of persecution
by the Christians.
Jennifer Carroll lived
with pride and honor.
What happened here
shall never be forgotten."

Book: "Lost Memories" posted:

But it was not the ancestors of
those who now live in this town
that first stole the land from these
people. There were others who
came before.

Pyramid head hasn't been around since the civil war, Silent Hill used to have executioners that Pyramid Head is inspired by, as evidenced by the Misty day, remains of the Judgment painting. The monsters don't appear in the first game because Alessa is angry, they appear because the demon inside her is torturing her and Alyssa's psychic powers cause her to corrupt the spiritual power of the town and it then projects those monsters into the real world. Once she is reborn as Heather the corrupted power of the town doesn't just go away because it's bored or something.

Hi void I hope I didn't shittalk you too bad I still think you're alright.

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

Lady Naga posted:

The cult has been around for hundreds of years, as evidenced by both this, and this, and this

And? What does this prove? There were still ancient people who venerated the land as a sacred place. The cultists may have stirred poo poo up, but something mystical was always going on in the area. I don't think that weird wire mesh rust dungeons sprung up whenever some local tribe offended somebody, but there's a force at work in Silent Hill that predates the cult; furthermore, the cult is still in no way directly connected to what happens in Silent Hill 2. It's possible that the cult's actions with Alessa have disturbed the balance of power in the area, but I don't think anything in SH2 confirms that.

Looking at this wiki, I guess I thought it was suggested that Pyramid Head was an executioner at that prison, which was for Civil War POWs.

I had forgotten what exactly Alessa does in the first game, so yeah, she's got like a demon god in her or something, but I do not think it's clear whether that god is actually there because the Order put them there or if there's any explanation for what it actually is. There's still the question of why this poo poo continues to happen when Alessa isn't around; even in SH4, the cult isn't responsible for what's happening in the Room, and are more of a background detail than anything. I also stress that the cult in SH4 doesn't really seem like the same cult we see in 1 or 3.

But beyond any of this, Silent Hill sort of loses a lot of its charm if you just assert that the cult is responsible for everything. So much of what makes SH scary is that much of it is murky and unclear, which makes you uncomfortable. It emulates a David Lynch sensibility in that regard; like something awful is happening out of the corner of your eye and you are desperately trying not to turn your head to see what it is. When Homecoming came around and has you fighting humans in gas masks and the cult is everywhere and there's just no mystery to it, no sense of horrified wonder. That's what makes Silent Hill great. It's a brief glimpse into a world of utter nightmare.

VoidBurger
Jul 18, 2008

A leap into the void.
The burger in space.
In my opinion, the Silent Hill wiki should be taken with a grain of salt, as it sometimes does not clearly mark what is interpretation, speculation, or outright made up insanity about illuminati doctors performing circumcision on orphans and turning them into otherworldly serial killers.

Ometeotl
Feb 13, 2012

It's MISSEL! Or SISSLE!
I confused myself...

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/Cdk3apUUYAE0vZR.jpg

So, uh, MGSV's Quiet is going to be in the Attack on Titan game because ???

Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

Yes, it is what it looks like!

VoidBurger posted:

In my opinion, the Silent Hill wiki should be taken with a grain of salt, as it sometimes does not clearly mark what is interpretation, speculation, or outright made up insanity about illuminati doctors performing circumcision on orphans and turning them into otherworldly serial killers.

Holy crap. That whole circumcision thing was ridonkulous.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lady Naga
Apr 25, 2008

Voyons Donc!

8-Bit Scholar posted:

And? What does this prove? There were still ancient people who venerated the land as a sacred place. The cultists may have stirred poo poo up, but something mystical was always going on in the area. I don't think that weird wire mesh rust dungeons sprung up whenever some local tribe offended somebody, but there's a force at work in Silent Hill that predates the cult; furthermore, the cult is still in no way directly connected to what happens in Silent Hill 2. It's possible that the cult's actions with Alessa have disturbed the balance of power in the area, but I don't think anything in SH2 confirms that.

Looking at this wiki, I guess I thought it was suggested that Pyramid Head was an executioner at that prison, which was for Civil War POWs.

I had forgotten what exactly Alessa does in the first game, so yeah, she's got like a demon god in her or something, but I do not think it's clear whether that god is actually there because the Order put them there or if there's any explanation for what it actually is. There's still the question of why this poo poo continues to happen when Alessa isn't around; even in SH4, the cult isn't responsible for what's happening in the Room, and are more of a background detail than anything. I also stress that the cult in SH4 doesn't really seem like the same cult we see in 1 or 3.

But beyond any of this, Silent Hill sort of loses a lot of its charm if you just assert that the cult is responsible for everything. So much of what makes SH scary is that much of it is murky and unclear, which makes you uncomfortable. It emulates a David Lynch sensibility in that regard; like something awful is happening out of the corner of your eye and you are desperately trying not to turn your head to see what it is. When Homecoming came around and has you fighting humans in gas masks and the cult is everywhere and there's just no mystery to it, no sense of horrified wonder. That's what makes Silent Hill great. It's a brief glimpse into a world of utter nightmare.

You're giving me a headache.

VoidBurger posted:

It's one of the worst fan wikis I've ever seen.

• Locked thread