Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

NutritiousSnack
Jul 12, 2011

Dapper Dan posted:

Why is everyone so confused as to the motives of the Punisher's family's deaths? Watch the last episode again. The Blacksmith invited Frank to be part of his awesomely profitable heroin trading scheme. Frank refused. The Blacksmith knew Frank was a loose end because he'd been exposed and Frank is a very real law and order type. The Blacksmith gets wind Frank is taking his family to the park, sets up a fake drug deal between three very twitchy gangs, tips off the DA to the deal and then doesn't show. The Blacksmith knows the gangs are super loving twitchy and the DA is heavy handed. Frank is there in the park and then a fire-fight occurs. It was specifically done to kill Frank. His family was inconsequential.

Frank knew The Blacksmith's identity, knew how profitable it was and had a chance to reveal it. The Blacksmith needed him eliminated. Getting him caught in the cross-fire was part of the plan. What wasn't part of it was Frank surviving.

Also, if they wanted to tie Frank to 'The Hand' storyline, they could have made the Blacksmith part of the Hand, and had everything in a neat little bow. Then he shows up with a mini-gun and just massacres some ninjas.

Pretty much. It's the last part that bothers me, because it would have been so easy to do.

mikeraskol posted:

This doesn't make any sense. If he knew the Blacksmith's identity, as soon as he got out of prison he would have booked it upstate and shot Clancy Brown in the face. He only figured it out by following Karen.

Castle has brain damage and memory issues

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MOVIE MAJICK
Jan 4, 2012

by Pragmatica
This season was solid but the ending was extremely poo poo. What? Just a bunch of knocked out ninjas on the ground, no resolution? Ending on "Daredevil must die" might be one of the worst cop-out cliffhangers I've ever seen. Extremely pissed off right now at Netflix for calling this a complete season.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Dexo posted:

Temporary Hearing Loss and other hearing issues are common with concussions though?

And Since hearing is kinda how Matt sees thing, you can see why he would start banging his hand and trying to get sound.

i dunno what the symptoms of a concussion are. I know what television shorthand for a concussion is, and it ain't spontaneous hearing loss 16 hours after the event and a night's sleep. But if I'm an idiot for not being able to diagnose a concussion via tv, then those sideline docs that can't consistently detect them when they can examine the patients directly are committing gross malpractice.

net cafe scandal
Mar 18, 2011

MOVIE MAJICK posted:

This season was solid but the ending was extremely poo poo. What? Just a bunch of knocked out ninjas on the ground, no resolution? Ending on "Daredevil must die" might be one of the worst cop-out cliffhangers I've ever seen. Extremely pissed off right now at Netflix for calling this a complete season.

Theres a 13th episode haha

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

net cafe scandal posted:

Theres a 13th episode haha

Hahaha

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001
I did like how they showed Matt actually enjoying himself at times during the fights, like the chuckle right before the stairwell fight. Helps reinforce the idea that he does need the vigilante side of his life.

Subvisual Haze
Nov 22, 2003

The building was on fire and it wasn't my fault.

zoux posted:

i dunno what the symptoms of a concussion are. I know what television shorthand for a concussion is, and it ain't spontaneous hearing loss 16 hours after the event and a night's sleep. But if I'm an idiot for not being able to diagnose a concussion via tv, then those sideline docs that can't consistently detect them when they can examine the patients directly are committing gross malpractice.

You've seriously never made the connection between ringing in the ears and a traumatic brain injury?

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Woden posted:

Ninjas showing up just meant we'd get yet another boring Arrow-esque fight scene. Season 1 had great fight scenes, Punisher had good to great fight scenes but all the ninja ones were pretty boring. Really didn't help that even Nobu -the big bad ninja- felt like a nameless mook either.

It's true, for some reason the ninja fight scenes, which should by all means have been the most visually exciting fight scenes in the series, were the lamest ones.

Well, technically Stick vs Elektra was the lamest fight scene because those actors are not trained to fight and were really obviously pulling their hits but that was mercifully brief.

Gargamel Gibson
Apr 24, 2014
A) Karen is a poo poo writer.

B) Frank shoots up a hospital but doesn't hit anyone, great! He just traumatizes multiple people and causes a ton of hearing damage. What an rear end in a top hat.

C) Clancy Brown played a good guy in the best comic book adaptation:
https://youtu.be/zr_Ta6NS3-g

D) I think I'm in love with Elodie Yung.

100 degrees Calcium
Jan 23, 2011

Gargamel Gibson posted:

Daredevil is packed to the gills with blood, torture, gunshots, and other violence, but the part where Karen narrates her article is the only time I winced.

notthegoatseguy
Sep 6, 2005

Rarity posted:

Has there been any mention of how long Fisk's sentence is?

From the way the attorney talked, It didn't even sound like Fisk had a trial yet, let alone convicted. But the show is really bad in the legal aspect of things so its best not to think too hard about it.

net cafe scandal posted:

Oh yeah through that whole Claire quitting segment I just had no idea why in Gods name I was expected to care about the PR of Claires hospital. Such a bizarre scene.. I guess they wanted to give Rosario Dawson some drama to chew on but it was just another break in momentum.

They really didn't spell it out but I came away thinking that some Yakuza/Hand shell company made a huge contribution prior to the invasion that would make things like that stay quiet. I thought that bald white dude was in the pockets of The Hand.

EDIT: Speaking of things the show is bad at, why are all of their "reporters" writing loving opinion pieces?

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

You must defeat Sheng Long to stand a chance.

zoux posted:

I didn't call you an idiot, I suggested that, if you're unable to figure out what's happening in a scene that, obviously, others have thought was very clear, you shouldn't be making snide comments at people implying you know better than them about what's happening in other scenes. Sticks and glass houses, sort of thing.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Wait, they didn't say he had a concussion?

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005

notthegoatseguy posted:

From the way the attorney talked, It didn't even sound like Fisk had a trial yet, let alone convicted.

I could be misremembering but I thought Fisk said he had 25 years with possibility of early release for good behavior.

zoux posted:

I don't think so. He takes a gunshot to his mask and has head/hearing problems the next day. I honestly thought it was going to be a recurring issue, like he got his bell rung hard enough he was going to keep having intermittent hearing loss throughout the season and it was going to be a major obstacle for DD to overcome.

HIJK
Nov 25, 2012
in the room where you sleep

zoux posted:

Matt's concussion is merely implied. He doesn't remember Foggy calling Karen after finding him on the roof, he has his little freak out when his hearing is replaced with tinnitus, and he still has some brain problems thereafter.

Maybe that's why Matt was acting so vacuous, he needed a CT scan and an MRI to identify his brain damage but never got it.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Pellisworth posted:

I could be misremembering but I thought Fisk said he had 25 years with possibility of early release for good behavior.

I don't think so. He takes a gunshot to his mask and has head/hearing problems the next day. I honestly thought it was going to be a recurring issue, like he got his bell rung hard enough he was going to keep having intermittent hearing loss throughout the season and it was going to be a major obstacle for DD to overcome.

Yeah, which is why I noticed it and thought it was odd they dropped it. Maybe they changed their mind but had already shot the scene and well, it is a great gif.

Like I said, it happens in the source material (and I hate depowered hero stories), so I was thinking, great here we go.

red19fire
May 26, 2010

Hollismason posted:

It's only in one comic book called Born. It's a good book, but basically it really subverts the Punisher.

His origin is now, he noticed the ambush but let it happen on a subconscious level because he wanted to have a war that was never ending. When he came home he actually wasn't having a good home life he was bored and missed the war. He had bad relationships with his wife and his kids. He was severely hosed up.

This may have changed but I don't think it did for the new Marvel.

If I'm remembering Born correctly, on his 3rd tour in Vietnam he calls down napalm on his own position as a last ditch effort to repel a Vietcong attack, and in that moment he makes a Faustian deal for his war to never end because it's the only place he felt like himself (the brass decided that he couldn't volunteer for a 4th tour). In exchange, the Devil (or whatever Spirit of Vengeance) will take the one thing he holds dear, his family.

The first book in Max goes into it a bit, how after killing 2,000 criminals it's not really about vengeance anymore. His family is this vague idea of the innocent he must protect and he barely remembers them anymore. Much like how in Vietnam, he's ostensibly fighting for his family but they are this half-remembered life that sends him letters once a week and a photograph in his helmet. It's the fuel that powers the Punisher, like he says in Year One, 'Frank Castle died with his family. But his body continues to twitch, who knows what it will do.'

I personally think the Netflix Punisher is somewhat of a copout with the TBI thing. It's like they're trying to make him into this lone lunatic, rather than the powerful, brilliant tactician. At least in the Max series, he's treated as an unstoppable force of nature.

red19fire fucked around with this message at 01:36 on Mar 23, 2016

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

You must defeat Sheng Long to stand a chance.

red19fire posted:

I personally think the Netflix Punisher is somewhat of a copout with the TBI thing. It's like they're trying to make him into this lone lunatic, rather than the powerful, brilliant tactician. At least in the Max series, he's treated as an unstoppable force of nature.

I dunno, I have never been the least bit interested in the Punisher, and it's pretty much because the stereotype doesn't seem to leave a lot of room for depth -- unflinching murder all the time, barely a person anymore. He can't have any recurring villains, because he kills them all, and he never questions himself or has any sort of moral quandary. I haven't read the books you guys mention, but I feel like a live-action Punisher has to be a bit more human to be at all compelling across a season or more of television, and I really liked this version because of the liberties they took. I would say they made him about as unstoppable as the limits of the universe allow though, like shanking a dozen convicts to death in a narrow hallway or making the cops think the carnage he caused must have taken an army of guys.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Yeah, the Netflix Punisher is infinitely more interesting a character than Murderer Emotionless Batman.

AtraMorS
Feb 29, 2004

If at the end of a war story you feel that some tiny bit of rectitude has been salvaged from the larger waste, you have been made the victim of a very old and terrible lie

Phenotype posted:

It wasn't forgotten, he just had a concussion. The next episode's fight was the follow-up, as you mentioned, and the effects went away after a couple days.
I understand what a concussion is, thank you. In fact, I understand enough about them to know that they'd be a much more common occupational hazard for somebody who gets beat to poo poo as often as DD does, so it's pretty strange that it never comes up again. The fact that it apparently takes the impact of a bullet at very short range to concuss DD is itself some kind of superpower.

I'm not calling it a plot hole or anything (although it does raise the questions of why it never happened when he was just wearing a cloth over his head, and why Melvin hasn't signed an 8-figure contract making gear for the NFL yet), but it would've been a much more engaging way (to me) to limit and challenge DD late-season than the whole "mystically masked heartbeat" thing. It would've also fit in a lot better with Matt's generally self-destructive arc this season. It was a really "oh poo poo" moment for me since it left Matt in an almost Johnny-Got-His-Gun kind of state, and I was disappointed that it never really came up again. So pretty much Pellisworth said a few posts up.

AtraMorS fucked around with this message at 01:53 on Mar 23, 2016

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

The thing about this is that it's never brought up again in the rest of MAX and except for Ennis saying in an interview or something that he was talking to Death, you can construe it as Frank making a deal with himself to just let go of humanity and be the killing machine he really wants to be deep down at his core.

I wasn't terribly pleased with the brain damage aspect brought up in DD, but I also wonder if marvel/netflix are just worried that portraying him as the unstoppable force of murder makes the character not sellable to most viewers.

One thing I'm curious about if he does get a show will be how they deal with Frank and dialogue. In the comics, it's a storytelling device that usually Frank speaks almost, if not entirely in internal monologue in the first half of an arc, and as the climax gets closer he will start speaking more and more, while most of the dialogue in the front half will be spoken by other characters. I wonder how well that could be translated to screen and if audiences will buy it.

I know that they already have the Micro setup in DD so there can be opportunity for banter, but I hope they kill him off quick and don't turn it into some buddy cop poo poo because he's just not a good character.

site fucked around with this message at 01:56 on Mar 23, 2016

HIJK
Nov 25, 2012

site posted:

The thing about this is that it's never brought up again in the rest of MAX and except for Ennis saying in an interview or something that he was talking to Death, you can construe it as Frank making a deal with himself to just let go of humanity and be the killing machine he really wants to be deep down at his core.

I wasn't terribly pleased with the brain damage aspect brought up in DD, but I also wonder if marvel/netflix are just worried that portraying him as the unstoppable force of murder makes the character not sellable to most viewers.

One thing I'm curious about if he does get a show will be how they deal with Frank and dialogue. In the comics, it's a storytelling device that usually Frank speaks almost, if not entirely in internal monologue in the first half of an arc, and as the climax gets closer he will start speaking more and more, while most of the dialogue in the front half will be spoken by other characters. I wonder how well that could be translated to screen and if audiences will buy it.

I know that they already have the Micro setup in DD so there can be opportunity for banter, but I hope they kill him off quick and don't turn it into some buddy cop poo poo because he's just not a good character.

Frank does keep a war journal and it was a plot point a few times. That would be a neat framing device.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

mikeraskol posted:

Kingpin knows (or at least suspects) that Matt is more than he seems, right? After Matt punched him they had a quick scene of Kingpin back in his cell, touches his lip where he got hit and then immediately asks an underlying to bring him the file on Murdock.

I got the same impression; that Wilson sensed something was up with Murdock. I like how they played that scene where Matt held back from fighting in the jail. You knew it was because he didn't want to give himself away to Fisk, but it was brilliantly under played. Same when Frank seemed to get a whiff of recognition when he heard Matt's voice.

zoux posted:

Marvel books and MCU movies often get flak for not having compelling villians in favor of interpersonal conflict between the heroes, really Loki, Kilgrave and Kingpin are the only good villains in the MCU.

The hell is this nonsense?

BiggerBoat fucked around with this message at 02:13 on Mar 23, 2016

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus
I loved The Punisher when I was a retarded lolbertarian but he has a lot less appeal now that I've grown up and matured. Re reading the MAX stuff is mostly unpleasant and I can't imagine "Frank Castle gruesomely murders disgusting rapists, murderers, and pedophiles" being a compelling season of TV without something more complex added to the mix. That's why I loved the Tom Jane Punisher. It was a little cheesy but giving the character a little humanity wasn't a bad idea.

NutritiousSnack
Jul 12, 2011

notthegoatseguy posted:

From the way the attorney talked, It didn't even sound like Fisk had a trial yet, let alone convicted. But the show is really bad in the legal aspect of things so its best not to think too hard about it.

They said it was going to be a "few months, maybe even a couple of years" when discussing his release. It's sounds like season 3 or 4 Fisk is back, more likely 3 with them doing an adaption of The Man Without Fear story line. Probably replacing Nuke with Bullseye.

Kraps
Sep 9, 2011

This avatar was paid for by the Silent Majority.

Dexo posted:

Temporary Hearing Loss and other hearing issues are common with concussions though?

And Since hearing is kinda how Matt sees thing, you can see why he would start banging his hand and trying to get sound.

Whether you wanna call it concussion or not, it's pretty obvious getting freakin shot in the freakin head was the reason for what was going down there, idk what the other guy is on about.

NutritiousSnack
Jul 12, 2011

DrNutt posted:

I loved The Punisher when I was a retarded lolbertarian but he has a lot less appeal now that I've grown up and matured. Re reading the MAX stuff is mostly unpleasant and I can't imagine "Frank Castle gruesomely murders disgusting rapists, murderers, and pedophiles" being a compelling season of TV without something more complex added to the mix. That's why I loved the Tom Jane Punisher. It was a little cheesy but giving the character a little humanity wasn't a bad idea.

You're kind of missing the point of the Ennis run on MAX, especially when he fights the human traffickers, it's only the light hearted wall street guys run that is supposed to generate this reaction. That arc literally ends with the activists laying into Frank and calling him a serial killer/monster no different than the rapists he's fighting and accomplishing nothing but satisfying himself, and him admitting it

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

NutritiousSnack posted:

You're kind of missing the point of the Ennis run on MAX, especially when he fights the human traffickers, it's only the light hearted wall street guys run that is supposed to generate this reaction. That arc literally ends with the activists laying into Frank and calling him a serial killer/monster no different than the rapists he's fighting and accomplishing nothing but satisfying himself, and him admitting it

The Slavers would be an excellent arc for a punisher show, but holy poo poo if you thought JJ was brutal...

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Gargamel Gibson posted:

Has Karen being a good writer come up anywhere? I was kinda not expecting anything award-winning when the subject was 'An actual person documents their experience traveling with the Punisher' If it's a first-hand story of a victim's experiences nowhere in any of that is 'Must be at least as good a writer as Ray Bradbury' popping out at me. If the story seems like it could be written better well that's what all the professionals at the newspaper office are for right?

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

Associate Justice Lena "Kegels" Dunham: An uncool thought to have: 'is that guy walking in the dark behind me a rapist? Never mind, he's Asian.
Stick is really goddamn bad at whatever his nebulously defined job is. THEY ARE NECROMANCERS STICK. NECROMANCERS.

GlitchThief posted:

Daredevil is packed to the gills with blood, torture, gunshots, and other violence, but the part where Karen narrates her article is the only time I winced.

I really wanted the season to end with Beardo firing her after reading just the title of her article

HIJK
Nov 25, 2012

Soothing Vapors posted:

Stick is really goddamn bad at whatever his nebulously defined job is. THEY ARE NECROMANCERS STICK. NECROMANCERS.

I really wanted the season to end with Beardo firing her after reading just the title of her article

Stick being terrible at everything he's purportedly supposed to be good at is kind of the point I think. Or at least intentional.

IDK, Stick deliberately loving everything up for his own amusement amuses me in turn.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

NutritiousSnack posted:

Yeah, I get that, it's just a little too nihilistic for my taste.

notthegoatseguy
Sep 6, 2005

NutritiousSnack posted:

They said it was going to be a "few months, maybe even a couple of years" when discussing his release. It's sounds like season 3 or 4 Fisk is back, more likely 3 with them doing an adaption of The Man Without Fear story line. Probably replacing Nuke with Bullseye.

Which is why it makes me think Fisk hasn't been tried, or if he has been convicted, the attorney is trying to win on appeal. I just can't imagine, even with the TV LAW thing that this show has going, that you can serve 3 years for running a criminal empire and bribing a fuckton of people.

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST

BiggerBoat posted:

The truth. Unless we're pretending Dark Elf and Ronan were super memorable villains. I'm saying this not counting Bucky.

Dapper Dan
Dec 16, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!

red19fire posted:

If I'm remembering Born correctly, on his 3rd tour in Vietnam he calls down napalm on his own position as a last ditch effort to repel a Vietcong attack, and in that moment he makes a Faustian deal for his war to never end because it's the only place he felt like himself (the brass decided that he couldn't volunteer for a 4th tour). In exchange, the Devil (or whatever Spirit of Vengeance) will take the one thing he holds dear, his family.

The first book in Max goes into it a bit, how after killing 2,000 criminals it's not really about vengeance anymore. His family is this vague idea of the innocent he must protect and he barely remembers them anymore. Much like how in Vietnam, he's ostensibly fighting for his family but they are this half-remembered life that sends him letters once a week and a photograph in his helmet. It's the fuel that powers the Punisher, like he says in Year One, 'Frank Castle died with his family. But his body continues to twitch, who knows what it will do.'

I actually like the Netflix Punisher better thinking more on it. Because Frank is basically a force of nature in Max, he is unrelatable. In Ennis' run, the stories are basically about the villains. Having Frank show emotions and be a little vulnerable is really nice for a change.

You really could not do a show on Ennis' Punisher. It would just be boring. I like the idea of him genuinely wanting to be home, which was the only thing keeping him sane and that is ripped away from him and he is physically and emotionally destroyed by it, taking up the mantle of his trauma as his symbol. You need people to relate to him somehow, and in Max the only thing Castle is vulnerable to is the physical. Here, the Punisher actually seems to care about stuff making him infinitely more interesting. As long as they keep his superpower of never killing anyone innocent, I am on board.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

Dapper Dan posted:

I actually like the Netflix Punisher better thinking more on it. Because Frank is basically a force of nature in Max, he is unrelatable. In Ennis' run, the stories are basically about the villains. Having Frank show emotions and be a little vulnerable is really nice for a change.

You really could not do a show on Ennis' Punisher. It would just be boring. I like the idea of him genuinely wanting to be home, which was the only thing keeping him sane and that is ripped away from him and he is physically and emotionally destroyed by it, taking up the mantle of his trauma as his symbol. You need people to relate to him somehow, and in Max the only thing Castle is vulnerable to is the physical. Here, the Punisher actually seems to care about stuff making him infinitely more interesting. As long as they keep his superpower of never killing anyone innocent, I am on board.

I would argue this isn't entirely true because the best arcs in MAX make it personal to Frank or at least show him caring about why he's doing it beyond the superficial "they're bad guys".

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?

Soothing Vapors posted:

That guy was my favorite character this season just for how much of a sarcastic rear end in a top hat he is, but deep down he cares for Karen and the integrity of a dying medium.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

BiggerBoat posted:

The truth? I suppose you could stretch to Ultron, but you really find Jeff Bridges Yells A Lot or Chris Eccleston Under A Ton Of Latex compelling as characters?

Polaron
Oct 13, 2010

The Oncoming Storm

Gaz-L posted:

The truth? I suppose you could stretch to Ultron, but you really find Jeff Bridges Yells A Lot or Chris Eccleston Under A Ton Of Latex compelling as characters?

Grant Ward is a fantastic villain :colbert:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

mikeraskol posted:

Kingpin knows (or at least suspects) that Matt is more than he seems, right? After Matt punched him they had a quick scene of Kingpin back in his cell, touches his lip where he got hit and then immediately asks an underlying to bring him the file on Murdock.

Yea he totally suspects. S3 gonna own