Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ponzi
Feb 21, 2016

DEPORTED FROM FLAVOR TOWN

ICSA 67 LOSER
Fun Shoe
Hey. Stop bullying the Man just because he's rich.

I'm rich, making just over $10,000 pa.

I'm not spending any of it on SC though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MedicineHut
Feb 25, 2016

G0RF posted:

I think he's been intentionally murky there. Clearly he's in the UK and seems closely connected-- but whether he's a past or present Foundry employee, very closely connected to one, or a firmly entrenched 3rd party (vendor, contractor, etc.), he certainly conveys the impression of having real-time line of sight into the operations.

If he's legit (and I assume he is because :lol:), it's more surprising to me that mole hunts aren't underway. If he worked in LA, his head would be mounted on Sandi's wall, right above two pretend diplomas and a trophy that fans gave her to make her feel even more special than she already does (which technically isn't possible).

Maybe Foundry is more chill about it because a 'rogue' employee sounding the warning bells online actually could have a constructive purpose in a toxic Diarchy like CIG where speaking truth to power is a firing offense. Stranger things have happened.

Of course it could be an elaborate con, too-- you always have to allow for that in circumstances where it sounds to good to be true. But I prefer not to. Disgruntled leakers hit Ion Storm -- it's a rite of passage for high profile 'troubled projects'. As you note, given how troubled things appear to be its surprising there aren't more of them by now.

Yeh, it is indeed a bit weird. By now one would imagine that EightAce should have been well identified. What with his news about trips etc it should not be very difficult to get there by elimination etc.

Either EightAce is a fraud, or if he is legit then the way he is set makes it virtually impossible for the Sandinquisition to trace it and he feels really secure. Another option is that Sandi knows but EightAce has other plans and he just doesnt care.

Chalks
Sep 30, 2009

Toops posted:

k good :)

e: I really appreciate the honest feedback, it helps a ton. I'm so focused on getting the code working that I give myself a lot of leeway on the visuals. But in this case, this changes the way I work on levels a bit, and gave me some good ideas for environment design in general.

So never stop throwing your suggestions out.

Hey dude, the red balls look great :wink: but can you make them black or transparent until the player gets close?

It's like the way that battlefield games make it look like you've got this vast world to play in but when you get near the edge it says "Leaving combat zone turn around or you'll be shot".

You don't need to make the player aware of the limitations of the environment all the time, only when it matters (ie, they need to turn the gently caress around) - that way you get the illusion of this vast galaxy you're playing in even though it's really limited (just like Star Citizen!!)

MedicineHut posted:

Yeh, it is indeed a bit weird. By now one would imagine that EightAce should have been well identified. What with his news about trips etc it should not be very difficult to get there by elimination etc.

Either EightAce is a fraud, or if he is legit then the way he is set makes it virtually impossible for the Sandinquisition to trace it and he feels really secure. Another option is that Sandi knows but EightAce has other plans and he just doesnt care.

I wonder if they've just got too many candidates in order to work out who it is. If you look around the office and half the people are fed up enough to be bitching about it online, and you know one of them is, what do you do?

Chalks fucked around with this message at 08:31 on Mar 23, 2016

Toops
Nov 5, 2015

-find mood stabilizers
-also,

boviscopophobic posted:

I'm not a huge fan of the latitude/longitude arrangement because of the singularities at the poles. But that does give a sense of orientation, if that's what you're going for.

As an alternative, I'd suggest an icosahedrally symmetric covering. You don't have to use as many points as in this example, this is just the one they had an image of.

That's a great link, I'll check it out.

I'm still working on the algorithm, I had logic in there that reduced the number of points at the poles, but I kind of like the way it looks with them all bunched up down there.

I'm also gonna try scaling the size of the objects as they approach the poles.

Toops
Nov 5, 2015

-find mood stabilizers
-also,

1500 posted:

we have that

wait is that actually loving oldman uv unwrapped?? I thought it was a different person's face... if so parp's back on the menu, boys.

TheLastRoboKy
May 2, 2009

Finishing the game with everyone else's continues

Chalks posted:

I wonder if they've just got too many candidates in order to work out who it is. If you look around the office and half the people are fed up enough to be bitching about it online, and you know one of them is, what do you do?

Do what they did last time! Verbally abuse a suspect and fire them, have someone else close to them quit on the spot as a result and have it all leaked in advance by Derek to make them look stupid. Then in a few weeks realise that the leak isn't plugged and derp why am I bad at a job I got through nepotism?!?!?!

Toops
Nov 5, 2015

-find mood stabilizers
-also,

Samizdata posted:

Welp, you pretty much nailed my Frontier idea. Except, if it's not to difficult, have them be green until someone gets close, then have them turn red. Extra feedback to NOT try running through them. Also, the four pointed star was priceless!

That's a kickass idea, love it! Yeah I can just set a proximity sphere, and any boundary spheres it collides with can change the material's color. This is totally happening.

EightAce
May 10, 2015

Watch it all come crashing down on his head and wonder why any of us gave him money in the first place.

EightAce fucked around with this message at 07:28 on Apr 11, 2016

Toops
Nov 5, 2015

-find mood stabilizers
-also,
:eyepop:

HOLY gently caress

That gets my vote for best post of the thread.

Chalks posted:

Hey dude, the red balls look great :wink: but can you make them black or transparent until the player gets close?

It's like the way that battlefield games make it look like you've got this vast world to play in but when you get near the edge it says "Leaving combat zone turn around or you'll be shot".

You don't need to make the player aware of the limitations of the environment all the time, only when it matters (ie, they need to turn the gently caress around) - that way you get the illusion of this vast galaxy you're playing in even though it's really limited (just like Star Citizen!!)

Yeah I'm starting to see the reasoning behind this. I'll give that a shot tomorrow.

I do want a better skybox though. I mean, the one I have isn't bad, just doesn't quite feel fidelitous enough. Kinda wish I had some peons I could make redo their work.

Toops fucked around with this message at 08:43 on Mar 23, 2016

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen

EightAce posted:

Chris is really pissed about ED I mean really pissed. Its everyone fault but his of course

I gotta know exactly what he's been saying about ED, thinking about him throwing a tantrum over another game is hilarious

Salt n Reba McEntire
Nov 14, 2000

Kuparp.
Never thought it was a scam. Just classic over-reaching from Dunning Kruger: The Movie, with a supporting cast of money-grubbing sociopaths.

As always, great read. And if you're stuck in the bowels of that whaling machine, god-speed.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

CharlestonJew posted:

I gotta know exactly what he's been saying about ED, thinking about him throwing a tantrum over another game is hilarious

Me too.

TheLastRoboKy
May 2, 2009

Finishing the game with everyone else's continues
This clusterfuck just keeps on clustering and loving.

CharlestonJew posted:

I hope it involved a lot of frantic arm waving and angry mumbling.

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

That was the best post in this stimpire, or any other

kingcom
Jun 23, 2012

EightAce posted:

This forum and any forum that has any SC content is read by paid peons CONFIRMED. To be fair , they do adjust policy (with regards public facing issues ) in response. So.....
No more of that fake news report bollocks, more dev interviews etc. This in itself is amazing

Cultural Victory.

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo

ManofManyAliases posted:

I don't need your wisdom or prophetic advice because, at this point, it is just platitude. "Called out" for responding to a question about how much I spent? I never initially offered that sum (not until T Bibliofile, Pgabz and Eonwe chimed-in did I go on the defensive). I honestly thought half of the respondents were pretty chill. But as soon as I was asked about how much I spent, I knew where it was going to lead because some of you haven't progressed past the point of childish school-yard bullying. After all, who's to dictate how an adult should or should not spend his money? No, what I saw were some individuals obviously enamored with the fact I spent money on a game they disdain and decided to string them along after the personal attacks. So, do me a favor and spare me the derision of acting like a person in a position to offer life-lessons to others - it's an internet message board.

I would like to be through with "childlike school-yard bullying" but it's apparent from your portrayal that I am not; I'm sincerely sorry for any harm my statements may have brought you. Only now do I realize that I have been strung along by your masterful rhetoric, forced into a corner with no other recourse than baseless attacks on you to defend my electronic honor - thereby destroying the very same. It's a harsh lesson but a fair one; verily I will think a second time before stooping to childlike bullying the next time an accomplished and successful ship owner such as yourself graces the thread with his or her presence

CROWS EVERYWHERE
Dec 17, 2012

CAW CAW CAW

Dinosaur Gum

Chalks posted:

I am going to join in with the speculating about EightAce!

Hasn't he made it clear before that he's never said he's an employee (past or present) of CIG? That's just what many people have speculated. Personally I think it sounds much more like he's a close friend or relative of someone who's involved in CIG and is feeding this information to him and is okay with it being publicised so long as their name isn't directly attached to it.

What I'm saying is, EightAce has an uncle who works at Nintendo CIG.

Dark Off
Aug 14, 2015

EightAce posted:

Apparently one of the A listers is not happy at all about being associated with this gently caress up and is currently seeking distance. ........a lot of distance .......off grid physics distance.

I did tweet gary oldman's agent some photoshops that people made here :smug:

Raskolnikov
Nov 25, 2003

EightAce posted:

The industry is a very small place....despite it employing thousands of people world wide , there is only really a small amount that control it and have any real clout. Someone on here , I know who , but no hard feelings whatsoever, pasted some of my more predictive posts on Chaos engine, in an industry only forum where there is much speculation and hilarity from people that really do know what they are talking about. The whole industry is laughing their collective sexual organs off at the whole thing. But there are exceptions. Most noticeably one Evangelical young man who is so brainwashed that he will not hear a word said against CIG, the project or the management.

At ease commandos
This is a good post. Thank you for providing it to us.

In other news, our little humble team is going to be putting out our interal design doc 1.0, along with roadmap.docx, and budget.xls before creating any in game assets of note.

I really don't understand game development. :(

Daztek
Jun 2, 2006

I hope my bad videos brought some joy to the CIG thread reader mans

EminusSleepus
Sep 28, 2015

EightAce posted:

The industry is a very small place....despite it employing thousands of people world wide , there is only really a small amount that control it and have any real clout. Someone on here , I know who , but no hard feelings whatsoever, pasted some of my more predictive posts on Chaos engine, in an industry only forum where there is much speculation and hilarity from people that really do know what they are talking about. The whole industry is laughing their collective sexual organs off at the whole thing. But there are exceptions. Most noticeably one Evangelical young man who is so brainwashed that he will not hear a word said against CIG, the project or the management.
Because of this , much of what is discussed here has circulated among the dev staff. I would say 60% think it hilarious, stick it to them etc. 20% Im sure are making GBS threads themselves in case they have any connection to me and 10% are determined to track me and any other dissenters down like wild beast's, and present our pelt's before the Stimporer and his consort.
Thing is they are now running on fumes both figuratively and ideologically. People realize that this is doomed including the press who are contacting people left right and center. I still maintain that this is NOT a scam and even now in the dying days of Rome the brains-trust still really and truly believe that if they show enough shiny JPEGS and trailers for SQ42 then they will get over this and still produce the BDSSE.

Things to look for soon ......

There are 3 trailers . Best one has Craig Fairbrass in he is pretty awesome..one will be released soon. The Stimporer is being selective

Apparently one of the A listers is not happy at all about being associated with this gently caress up and is currently seeking distance. ........a lot of distance .......off grid physics distance.

The animation system is so hosed they have to reshoot mo cap......The budget set aside for this element of the game has over run by 12 times the initial estimate !!

Chris is really pissed about ED I mean really pissed. Its everyone fault but his of course

This forum and any forum that has any SC content is read by paid peons CONFIRMED. To be fair , they do adjust policy (with regards public facing issues ) in response. So.....
No more of that fake news report bollocks, more dev interviews etc. This in itself is amazing

Ben is actually in a really bad way. I am not taking the piss here but please remember he is a human being and is clearly in a lot of trouble .

3 ! Yes 3 high profile ship jumpers in the foreseeable.

There have also been some rather explosive conversations behind the scenes with some very disgruntled top tier Wales. there is a genuine concern that these people band together ........

Other than that its business as usual: The Vanduul are up for a rethink by the looks of it as they didn't go across as impressively as was required. Slight concerns about scale/ships are now becoming real panic blockers and the blame game has begun. SQ42 Ep 1 or 10000 will be here next year , late next year .

For anyone that still has money in this, if what they want is a visually impressive but really boring first person dog fighting game running at 3 fps with loads or terrible and I mean loving terrible cutscenes then sit tight it may still happen and you will be very happy.

Anyone that bought into this for an open world alternate reality where you can roam the verse and be who you want to be, farming and raping and grieifng and parkouring etc . I suggest that you rethink your investment..... and be loving quick about it

At ease commandos

Ben is actually in a really bad way. I am not taking the piss here but please remember he is a human being and is clearly in a lot of trouble .

Is like saying Joseph Goebbels is a nice human being

There have also been some rather explosive conversations behind the scenes with some very disgruntled top tier Wales. there is a genuine concern that these people band together ........

this is interesting

Stay safe commando!! o9

Thoatse
Feb 29, 2016

Lol said the scorpion, lmao
caughtupwiththethread.jpg!

lazorexplosion posted:

I try to understand other perspectives, but it's like my brain just balks at even conceiving of spending thousands of dollars on something that doesn't exist yet, is only vague promises and there's little to no practical recourse if the vague promises don't come to fruition.

And I'm talking about anything, let alone a goddamn videogame, let alone one that's vague or incoherent or ambitious to the point of ridiculousness, massively scope creeped, led by a mumbling idiot with a dubious record, consuming an endlessly increasing budget and delivering mostly jank that only reveals they're falling into the software doom spiral where anything they do breaks old things and old broken things are almost never permanently fixed.

It's like some people just congenitally lack a mental immune system against terrible ideas, and it feels like nothing I could say would reach them because I'd be trying to appeal to a part of their brain that they just plain lack.

Sames.. call me stupid, but my brain also balks at spending 4k on games that even do exist and definitely ones that don't or even physical items that don't. I don't care how loving awesome a game is, I'm not spending 4k on anything I have nothing to show for if the power goes out and it would not matter how much money I make or have. gently caress, I won't even spend that kind of loot on anything I can't pull my money back out of after using it for a long long time. Buy low/sell high.. lets me live beyond my technical means even if that means I only get sloppy seconds on life.

Prices of poo poo in SC have always boggled my mind and set off my bullshit detector even for individual items from day 1, but seeing people proudly sandbagging jpegs like they're some loving commodity? o_____o

This may sound stupid (because it is), but although I've always had one eye open but it didn't really start falling apart till after Wingman/Rob left, then Travis/Chelsea and then it turned out Dr Evil's wild allegations of Sandi and CR being married panned out to be literally 200% true... and that little lie is what ended up being the crack in the dam that widened into a gushing chasm flowing with disappoint, which finally gave way to an ocean of lols.

Here's another pic of my cat to start paying for my unfunnies..

ALL-PRO SEXMAN posted:

Seriously it's weird what happens when you raise an American in England.

Your average born-and-bred Englishman is usually as intelligent and articulate as your average born-and-bred American (take that whichever way you feel like, but it's the truth). But you combine the two upbringings and you get blithering incompetents like Croberts.

Hmm, average cornfed 'Murcan is neither intelligent nor articulate.. you watch to many movies or something but you're giving 'us' way too much credit in any case. People here are generally pants on head crobtarded and then some, it's honestly embarrassing more often then not.

ManofManyAliases posted:

I don't need your wisdom or prophetic advice because, at this point, it is just platitude. "Called out" for responding to a question about how much I spent? I never initially offered that sum (not until T Bibliofile, Pgabz and Eonwe chimed-in did I go on the defensive). I honestly thought half of the respondents were pretty chill. But as soon as I was asked about how much I spent, I knew where it was going to lead because some of you haven't progressed past the point of childish school-yard bullying. After all, who's to dictate how an adult should or should not spend his money? No, what I saw were some individuals obviously enamored with the fact I spent money on a game they disdain and decided to string them along after the personal attacks. So, do me a favor and spare me the derision of acting like a person in a position to offer life-lessons to others - it's an internet message board.

Just in case you're not just double reverse cowgirl inverse the verse meta trolling, being a new guy myself I was feeling bad seeing the 'new new guy' getting hanged by his own belt (I actually like the belt myself and anyone that doesn't obviously doesn't understand belt development), but drat when you dig in like this it makes it much harder to empathize. People are loving you up precisely because of poo poo like this, or rather the attitude behind it. A little humility goes a long way friend, even when dealing with internet warlords. This is not advice so much as observation; make of it what you will...

EightAce posted:

I'm sure I'm not alone in that I really want to hear more about Stimporor's foot stamping about ED and fear of Whaleunions and other fediliciousness news EightAce might be able to share.

Blunderstorm
Mar 1, 2016

my grandfather just posts and all i got was this lousy joke, so what
Lmao

Eight ace how close are we to seeing the collapse of this poo poo tower

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo

Ash1138 posted:

ya I'm sure it'll be a buyer's market when the failure is so obvious that dupes like you decide to sell off their thousands in ships

unless you mean to get a refund then lol just lol

No you see he's got the rare ships, big difference. If CIG should fail and not make more they'll be even rarer

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

EightAce posted:

Because of this , much of what is discussed here has circulated among the dev staff. I would say 60% think it hilarious, stick it to them etc. 20% Im sure are making GBS threads themselves in case they have any connection to me and 10% are determined to track me and any other dissenters down like wild beast's, and present our pelt's before the Stimporer and his consort.
Thing is they are now running on fumes both figuratively and ideologically. People realize that this is doomed including the press who are contacting people left right and center. I still maintain that this is NOT a scam and even now in the dying days of Rome the brains-trust still really and truly believe that if they show enough shiny JPEGS and trailers for SQ42 then they will get over this and still produce the BDSSE.

There are 3 trailers . Best one has Craig Fairbrass in he is pretty awesome..one will be released soon. The Stimporer is being selective

The animation system is so hosed they have to reshoot mo cap......The budget set aside for this element of the game has over run by 12 times the initial estimate !!

Other than that its business as usual: The Vanduul are up for a rethink by the looks of it as they didn't go across as impressively as was required. Slight concerns about scale/ships are now becoming real panic blockers and the blame game has begun. SQ42 Ep 1 or 10000 will be here next year , late next year .

For anyone that still has money in this, if what they want is a visually impressive but really boring first person dog fighting game running at 3 fps with loads or terrible and I mean loving terrible cutscenes then sit tight it may still happen and you will be very happy.

Anyone that bought into this for an open world alternate reality where you can roam the verse and be who you want to be, farming and raping and grieifng and parkouring etc . I suggest that you rethink your investment..... and be loving quick about it

At ease commandos

:drat:

tooterfish
Jul 13, 2013

EightAce posted:

At ease commandos
Stay safe developer ghost. o9

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

The best part is going to see how Chris Roberts is going to try to do whatever it takes to obfuscate what's going down in order to discredit the leak.

Like when Derek said CIG's Austin offices were closing, so they decided to prove him wrong by slowly winding Austin down to a vestigal but still technically extant studio on paper.

no_recall
Aug 17, 2015

Lipstick Apathy

Stay safe. Hope you don't get fired for this.

Blunderstorm
Mar 1, 2016

I hope Ben doesn't start stress eating cause he's in so much trouble

a whole buncha crows
May 8, 2003

WHEN WE DON'T KNOW WHO TO HATE, WE HATE OURSELVES.-SA USER NATION (AKA ME!)
Lets roll

Blunderstorm
Mar 1, 2016

I never backed stat citizen and I've probably gotten more entertainment out of it than the wanker who dropped 4k on it lmao

Raskolnikov
Nov 25, 2003

Turd Burglar posted:

I hope Ben doesn't start stress eating cause he's in so much trouble

I think EightAce meant that Ben is already in a whole world of terrible physical issues. I can't imagine his idol being an absolute fucker that can't produce anything concrete is helping the mental side of things either.

I have a friend that is 350+ pounds and just the problems she faces is pretty daunting.

Blunderstorm
Mar 1, 2016

Nation posted:

Lets roll

drat dude you hosed up my double post

Blunderstorm
Mar 1, 2016

Raskolnikov posted:

I think EightAce meant that Ben is already in a whole world of terrible physical issues. I can't imagine his idol being an absolute fucker that can't produce anything concrete is helping the mental side of things either.

I have a friend that is 350+ pounds and just the problems she faces is pretty daunting.

Hmmmmm I thought he meant he was in trouble cause he's a lovely community manager that does interviews and doesn't know wtf he's talking about

Chalks
Sep 30, 2009

CROWS EVERYWHERE posted:

I am going to join in with the speculating about EightAce!

Hasn't he made it clear before that he's never said he's an employee (past or present) of CIG? That's just what many people have speculated. Personally I think it sounds much more like he's a close friend or relative of someone who's involved in CIG and is feeding this information to him and is okay with it being publicised so long as their name isn't directly attached to it.

What I'm saying is, EightAce has an uncle who works at Nintendo CIG.

EightAce posted:

The inevitable redundancy package and out of court settlement.

EightAce posted:

ask me anything "That wont cost me my job" For one hour only, then double check against a secondary source.

Etc. He claims to work there.

tooterfish
Jul 13, 2013

Raskolnikov posted:

You should never meet your heros.

Especially not when one of them is Chris Roberts.

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

Maybe CIG needs an Internal Affairs bureau to keep an eye on disgruntled devs. They can work next to the Foreign Affairs officers trawling this thread.

Daztek
Jun 2, 2006

I hope CIG doesn't go under, Solar Plebeian is literally funded by CIG's incompetence

AP
Jul 12, 2004

One Ring to fool them all
One Ring to find them
One Ring to milk them all
and pockets fully line them
Grimey Drawer

EightAce posted:

At ease commandos

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

intardnation
Feb 18, 2016

I'm going to space!

:gary: :yarg:

orcinus posted:

poo poo. What if MoMA is Derek's puppet.

reverse inverse cowgirl troll?

• Locked thread