Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ailumao
Nov 4, 2004

Well that is technically the US stance on it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

url
Apr 23, 2007

internet gnuru

Yep, the pre compiled list thing is a chore, but, at least you're not dealing with T'aipei.

E: spelling, but also, gently caress this poo poo weather!

CovfefeCatCafe
Apr 11, 2006

A fresh attitude
brewed daily!

url posted:

Yep, the pre compiled list thing is a chore, but, at least you're not dealing with T'aipei.

E: spelling, but also, gently caress this poo poo weather!

That apostrophe makes no sense there. Worst I've seen for here is Chia'i, which at least makes since if you're not wanting to use the silent/placeholder 'y'.

quadrophrenic
Feb 4, 2011

WIN MARNIE WIN

YF19pilot posted:

That apostrophe makes no sense there. Worst I've seen for here is Chia'i, which at least makes since if you're not wanting to use the silent/placeholder 'y'.

It's wade-giles, the "t'" is meant to signify aspirated t

like if it was just "taipei" that would actually be pronounced "daibei", whereas "t'aip'ei" would be "taipei", etc etc

WG is kinda dumb, tho all romanizations are dumb in their own unique way

CovfefeCatCafe
Apr 11, 2006

A fresh attitude
brewed daily!

quadrophrenic posted:

It's wade-giles, the "t'" is meant to signify aspirated t

like if it was just "taipei" that would actually be pronounced "daibei", whereas "t'aip'ei" would be "taipei", etc etc

WG is kinda dumb, tho all romanizations are dumb in their own unique way

Yeah, I haven't really studied WG that much, only Pinyin. I'm not familiar with it beyond that it gets used for romanizing cities and other place names. That explains 台東 being romanized as Taitung, though.

sub supau
Aug 28, 2007

Yeah, all the ones that aren't in Hanyu Pinyin or whatever arbitrary bullshit is en vogue this month (I'm looking at you, Tanshui Tamshui Tamshuy Danshuei Danshui Tamsui) are probably in WG. And then it's a coinflip whether it's actual WG or the half-assed incorrect version, because for all the protestations about romanization that come up whenever anyone tries anything even resembling nationwide consistency, no-one actually cares about romanization or even knows how to do it, but like gently caress are they ever going to ask the people that might actually use it.

e: See the debate over whether it should have been "New Taipei City" or "Xinbei City" in English - Xinbei got turned down in part because "it has an X in it and X means bad"

sub supau fucked around with this message at 09:39 on Feb 26, 2016

url
Apr 23, 2007

internet gnuru

TetsuoTW posted:

I'm looking at you, Tanshui Tamshui Tamshuy Danshuei Danshui Tamsui

lol

also, worst offender: Steam

duckfarts
Jul 2, 2010

~ shameful ~

Soiled Meat

TetsuoTW posted:

e: See the debate over whether it should have been "New Taipei City" or "Xinbei City" in English - Xinbei got turned down in part because "it has an X in it and X means bad"

Really?

sub supau
Aug 28, 2007

Actually I was slightly off in my recollection:

Pinyin.info posted:

And to top things off, a couple dozen pro-Tongyong Pinyin protesters were outside Taipei County Hall the same day to protest against using Xinbei because it contains what they characterize as China’s demon letter X. Actually, that last part of hyperbole isn’t all that much of an exaggeration of their position. The X makes it look like the city is being crossed out, some of the protesters claimed.

This is, of course, stupid.

TVBS posted:

台北縣升格直轄市變新北市,那「新北市」英文怎麼寫、怎麼說?周錫瑋縣長剛頒布,新北市書寫是「X」開頭「Xinbei」,採用的是漢語拼音系統,不過,有人在網路上表達抗議,發起「新北不劃叉運動」,他們說不要漢語拼音,X開頭就是叉叉開頭的「Xinbei」,網友響應要用「New Taipei City」直接英文意譯,網友說,這樣才能符合新北市升格邏輯,顯示台北縣升格後的優越性。
(With Taipei County's promotion to special municipality, how should 新北市 be written and pronounced in English? County Magistrate Zhou Xiwei has announced that it will be written with as 'Xinbei', starting with an 'X', but some people on the Internet have expressed their opposition to this, giving rise to the "Don't Cross Out 新北 Movement." They say they do not want Hanyu Pinyin, nor the X-ed out Xinbei, and that it should be 'New Taipei City.' Internet users say, this is more in line with the reasons behind the promotion of the county, and demonstrates the strength Taipei County will have after its promotion.)

The best part is, the county actually convened a panel of linguists and laowai to consult with on the new English name, and that panel overwhelmingly recommended Xinbei. Then the news media lost its loving mind yet again over trivial bullshit and once again the "powers" that be capitulated to idiots.

e:

sub supau fucked around with this message at 10:34 on Feb 26, 2016

Pandemonium
Dec 25, 2004

please let me show you screenshots of all The Ladies swooning over me
See also chupei, zhubei, jubei, jhupei, 等等 for 竹北.

There's also tongyong pinyin, which is a system I know nothing about, but contributes to the retardation of Taiwan pinyin for sure.

sub supau
Aug 28, 2007

Funny you should mention that:

quote:

The protesters would prefer the Tongyong form, Sinbei. I suspect foreigners here would rapidly change that to the English name “Sin City,” which I must admit would have a certain ring to it and might even be a tourist draw. Still, Tongyong has already done enough damage. Those wanting to promote Taiwan’s identity would be much better off channeling their energy into projects that might actually be useful to their cause.

Man, gently caress Tongyong Pinyin, and in particular gently caress the Taipei Times for insisting on using that petulant horseshit.

quadrophrenic
Feb 4, 2011

WIN MARNIE WIN
So basically, China: bad at characters, good at letters

duckfarts
Jul 2, 2010

~ shameful ~

Soiled Meat

TetsuoTW posted:

Actually I was slightly off in my recollection:

(With Taipei County's promotion to special municipality, how should 新北市 be written and pronounced in English? County Magistrate Zhou Xiwei has announced that it will be written with as 'Xinbei', starting with an 'X', but some people on the Internet have expressed their opposition to this, giving rise to the "Don't Cross Out 新北 Movement." They say they do not want Hanyu Pinyin, nor the X-ed out Xinbei, and that it should be 'New Taipei City.' Internet users say, this is more in line with the reasons behind the promotion of the county, and demonstrates the strength Taipei County will have after its promotion.)

The best part is, the county actually convened a panel of linguists and laowai to consult with on the new English name, and that panel overwhelmingly recommended Xinbei. Then the news media lost its loving mind yet again over trivial bullshit and once again the "powers" that be capitulated to idiots.

e:

Whoa, so New Taipei City is the Coke Classic of city names I guess

Safety Biscuits
Oct 21, 2010

At least New Taipei City sounds like it has something to do with Taipei...

TetsuoTW posted:

Yeah, all the ones that aren't in Hanyu Pinyin or whatever arbitrary bullshit is en vogue this month (I'm looking at you, Tanshui Tamshui Tamshuy Danshuei Danshui Tamsui) are probably in WG.

That's Taiwanese, though, isn't it? That means there's probably another couple of romanisation systems that nobody knows about (quick trip to Wikipedia says seven, Jesus) and you've no idea if it's Chinese or Taiwanese when you're looking at it.

Also, gently caress Tongyong.

quadrophrenic
Feb 4, 2011

WIN MARNIE WIN
o man, you don't know bad romanization until you've seen gwoyeu romatzyh

quote:

"Hannshyue" .de mingcheng duey Jonggwo yeou idean butzuenjinq .de yihwey. Woomen tingshuo yeou "Yinnduhshyue", "Aijyishyue", "Hannshyue", erl meiyeou tingshuo yeou "Shilahshyue", "Luomaashyue", genq meiyeou tingshuo yeou "Inggwoshyue", "Meeigwoshyue". "Hannshyue" jeyg mingcheng wanchyuan beaushyh Ou-Meei shyuejee duey nahshie yiijing chernluen de guulao-gwojia de wenhuah de i-joong chingkann de tayduh.

Ailumao
Nov 4, 2004

quadrophrenic posted:

o man, you don't know bad romanization until you've seen gwoyeu romatzyh

Gwoyeh Romatzyh for all it's complicated-ness is at least logically consistent, once you learn it. It's better than WG and a lot of other crap.

But yeah there's a reason both Taiwan and the PRC dumped it real fast.

url
Apr 23, 2007

internet gnuru
Naming, with Chinese characteristics

Moon Slayer
Jun 19, 2007

I swear to god every FOB English teacher is either a complete mess or think they're Robin Williams in Dead Poet's Society.

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
fiddly digits, itchy britches
I love you all

Moon Slayer posted:

I swear to god every FOB English teacher is either a complete mess or think they're Robin Williams in Dead Poet's Society.

I stopped limiting this to FOBs years ago.

Pandemonium
Dec 25, 2004

Whose gonna yell at these guys for making posts that stereotype and generalize the noble ESL profession?

P.S. Just found my Taipei apartment yesterday. The dream is now a reality. Moving April 1st, and after getting settled in I'll get to work stealing TestsuoTW's clients because I'm younger and better-looking.

The apartment is in Bali just across that one bridge before Zhuwei. Any goons live out that way? God, I hope not!

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
I love you all

Pandemonium posted:

Whose gonna yell at these guys for making posts that stereotype and generalize the noble ESL profession?

I won't bother defending it, but I also have worked so far in the guts of it that I don't know if I'll ever see anything positive in it again. Like I know how this sausage is made and it's all assholes all the way down.

Moon Slayer
Jun 19, 2007

I got out of my "God's gift to teaching" phase before I got to Taiwan, but I definitely had one. poo poo's embarrassing to remember.

Spanish Matlock
Sep 6, 2004

If you want to play the I-didn't-know-this-was-a-hippo-bar game with me, that's fine.
What the gently caress is a fob? A foreign office boy? Fashionable Oriental Brothel?

quote:

The apartment is in Bali just across that one bridge before Zhuwei.

Oh good you've decided to treat moving to Taipei like being a human being, technically true but realistically not even close.

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

Fresh off the boat.

url
Apr 23, 2007

internet gnuru

Spanish Matlock posted:

What the gently caress is a fob? A foreign office boy? Fashionable Oriental Brothel?

Fresh of the boat. Sitcom about a Taiwanese family in the US

Spanish Matlock posted:

Oh good you've decided to treat moving to Taipei like being a human being, technically true but realistically not even close.

I lolled

sub supau
Aug 28, 2007

Pandemonium posted:

P.S. Just found my Taipei apartment yesterday. The dream is now a reality. Moving April 1st, and after getting settled in I'll get to work stealing TestsuoTW's clients because I'm younger and better-looking.

The apartment is in Bali just across that one bridge before Zhuwei. Any goons live out that way? God, I hope not!
If your translation is as good as your geography, I think I'll be fine.

The Great Autismo!
Mar 3, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Pandemonium posted:

Moving April 1st, and after getting settled in I'll get to work stealing TestsuoTW's clients because I'm younger and better-looking.

I don't know if this is true and I don't have a horse in this race, but we haven't had any good drama in the China group in like two years so I'm definitely rooting for something interesting to happen here

If there's a goon fight, for the love of God someone record it

url
Apr 23, 2007

internet gnuru
Why didn't you come into the city proper? Will crying girl come and visit you, or the cross-dresser?

I have to be honest, Bali is a bit of a stretch - like you have DTanmshui and Beitou for an evening's entertainment, but you'll be done with those within a few weeks.

I think I'd be bored out of my ears in Bali - not a criticism, just a reflection.

edit:

左翼第三世界民眾戲劇運動

My gf has a few translation pieces on at the moment. Out of interest, how would you treat that?

url fucked around with this message at 11:02 on Mar 23, 2016

duckfarts
Jul 2, 2010

~ shameful ~

Soiled Meat

url posted:

DTanmshui
lol

:negative:

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer
屎水

sub supau
Aug 28, 2007

url posted:

I think I'd be bored out of my ears in Bali - not a criticism, just a reflection.
On the plus side, dude can zip up the road to the water park whenever though.

Just pack your asbestos speedo.

Pandemonium
Dec 25, 2004

Lol, at anyone who wants to pay top dollar for a lovely 10 ping taofang just to say they live in the "city proper". 15k got me a killer view, a bigish place, and so so much silence. I feel bad for people who think living in the city is a must when Taipei has such a robust MRT system. OMG, gotta scooter five to ten minutes then MRT 20 minutes into the city proper. That's such a hassle! (It might become one if I did it every day, but seeing as I work from home, that won't be happening.)

All I'm hearing is a bunch of jealous closet-dwellers. Or perhaps people who live with a bunch of roommates out of necessity. LMBO.

Oh, and my place has a bathtub with hot spring water. I'll post some pics of the killer view after I move in.

Pandemonium
Dec 25, 2004

The Great Autismo! posted:

I don't know if this is true and I don't have a horse in this race, but we haven't had any good drama in the China group in like two years so I'm definitely rooting for something interesting to happen here

If there's a goon fight, for the love of God someone record it

Oh, I'm just joking around. I know we work in a similar field, but I have no idea who his clients are. I'm keeping my Taichung clients, too, so I won't have that much time anyway.

Spanish Matlock
Sep 6, 2004

If you want to play the I-didn't-know-this-was-a-hippo-bar game with me, that's fine.
I live in the red light district with convenient mrt access five minutes in any direction and pay 5k less than you. But I can have a roommate because I don't have crippling social disorders. I guess your situation is probably best for you considering.

duckfarts
Jul 2, 2010

~ shameful ~

Soiled Meat

Pandemonium posted:

Lol, at anyone who wants to pay top dollar for a lovely 10 ping taofang just to say they live in the "city proper". 15k got me a killer view, a bigish place, and so so much silence. I feel bad for people who think living in the city is a must when Taipei has such a robust MRT system. OMG, gotta scooter five to ten minutes then MRT 20 minutes into the city proper. That's such a hassle! (It might become one if I did it every day, but seeing as I work from home, that won't be happening.)

All I'm hearing is a bunch of jealous closet-dwellers. Or perhaps people who live with a bunch of roommates out of necessity. LMBO.

Oh, and my place has a bathtub with hot spring water. I'll post some pics of the killer view after I move in.

my place has the Toto NeorestTM, god's own toilet, and that's all i really care about and it was worth the shameful amount i spent on it

god bless asia

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
I love you all
The Taipei red light district feels so, I don't know, quaint?

url
Apr 23, 2007

internet gnuru

TetsuoTW posted:

asbestos speedo.

ouch!
(is probably what they said)

I live in a decent enough place.

I'm a creature of habit so I don't make as much of the amenities as I could, my gf does though.

I'm supposed to have moved out a year ago, but I've been repeatedly extending by a few months, while I half-heartedly promise to myself that I will get off my rear end and go look for a new place.
I can't fault the area/location at all is my main concern.

sub supau
Aug 28, 2007

I live in an apartment.

url
Apr 23, 2007

internet gnuru

Pandemonium posted:

15K is very reasonable, I don't doubt you're in a palatial sized apartment considering the location.
For those of us working here, the commute is really a chore either into/or out of the city.

If I worked at home, I think I'd pull my wire off within a week.

Pandemonium posted:

I wouldn't say that's the case.

Pandemonium posted:

When I did Beitou, the spring water was tinted yellow, and had that egg/sulfur smell to it.
Admittedly, my bathwater is often yellow but it doesn't have that sulfurous smell to it.
(instead it smells like pee, (because I pee in it))

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sub supau
Aug 28, 2007

To be honest, bathing in sulfur spring water on the reg sounds p loving great.