Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica

Scudworth posted:

Least favourite regular ad spot everyone, go.

The other MaxFun podcasts because apparently all of them are helmed by dudes whose voices would an offensive caricature if they weren't actual gay 30-something Hollywood detritus.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Scudworth
Jan 1, 2005

When life gives you lemons, you clone those lemons, and make super lemons.

Dinosaur Gum
The lending/loan ads were sketchy and awful, made me wonder if they can refuse sponsors.

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

The worst one was that sketch as hell Cash Texts thing but that's not a 'regular' spot, it was only on one episode

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

I think we can all agree that the best one was Totino's, just for the sheer ridiculousness of them sponsoring an entire episode.

Mikedawson
Jun 21, 2013

Waffleman_ posted:

I think we can all agree that the best one was Totino's, just for the sheer ridiculousness of them sponsoring an entire episode.

I actually tried Totino's for the first time in years because of that, so I'd say it worked.

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica
Totinos has been trying way, way too hard to appeal to the internet crowd and them sponsoring MBMBaM is the only good thing to come of it.

http://www.totinosliving.com/article/roll-your-own-for-4-20/

Vargs
Mar 27, 2010

this is almost as painfully unfunny as my posting

Scudworth
Jan 1, 2005

When life gives you lemons, you clone those lemons, and make super lemons.

Dinosaur Gum
Totinos had Tim & Eric do a series of ads for them, that was good.

Deport The Irish
Nov 25, 2013

mikeycp posted:

It may surprise you to learn that not everyone innately knows what to get, how to pick it, and how to put it all together. Not to mention actually having access to numerous ingredients.

If you're married to Blue Aprons' bland lovely meals, they publish their recipes free for anyone who wants them and you can find all the ingredients you need at super high end stores like Wal-Mart.

Tempo 119
Apr 17, 2006

I'm sorry that what amounts to a beginner's cooking course doesn't excite your tastebuds to full erection but it sounds like something I'd like to give a try if they opened up where I live

Roach Warehouse
Nov 1, 2010

Scudworth posted:

The lending/loan ads were sketchy and awful, made me wonder if they can refuse sponsors.

I'm pretty sure they have in the past. Jesse at least has talked about turning down sponsors that aren't a fit for the network/ his shows on it. Plus I remember someone (Theresa Thorn?) telling an anecdote about Xtreme Restaints and saying she emailed the brothers like "Is this something you would be comfortable doing?" and they were like "Hell yeah, sign us up."

mikeycp
Nov 24, 2010

I've changed a lot since I started hanging with Sonic, but I can't depend on him forever. I know I can do this by myself! Okay, Eggman! Bring it on!
The three meals I've had from Blue Apron have been very flavorful and good. We tried ingredients we probably wouldn't have otherwise and learned preparations we didn't know about, and that's pretty cool. I recommend it if you think it might be your thing.

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

:darksouls:
i'd literally never cooked anything more complex than instant ramen before and i got blue apron and managed to make burgers and stews and pasta and things that i didn't even know existed (gnocchi, what the gently caress, why did no one tell me about gnocchi)

i skip every other week because i can't keep up with the 3/week but it's fun

mikeycp
Nov 24, 2010

I've changed a lot since I started hanging with Sonic, but I can't depend on him forever. I know I can do this by myself! Okay, Eggman! Bring it on!
Gnocchi are dope.

Harriet Carker
Jun 2, 2009

I got a Casper mattress and it's the comfiest bed I've ever laid down in. I've slept like the dead every single night since I got it. Also got a 10-pack of MeUndies and they rule. My first Blue Apron comes tomorrow, and I am an adult who knows how to cook but sometimes you just don't want to plan and go to the store, you know? I trust the brothers pretty well and I think it's easy to tell the difference between them advertising something they don't really care about and something they actually use and love.

Ojjeorago
Sep 21, 2008

I had a dream, too. It wasn't pleasant, though ... I dreamt I was a moron...
Gary’s Answer
Blue Apron is just lunchables for manchildren.

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

:darksouls:

Luneshot posted:

Still the greatest segment that podcasting has ever produced

I liked this bit so much I clipped it

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yKRzq4Jmp74

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.
My favorite thing about Blue Apron is the aggressive elitism it brings out in goons.

mikeycp
Nov 24, 2010

Lumberjack Bonanza posted:

My favorite thing about Blue Apron is the aggressive elitism it brings out in goons.

It's really bizarre.

Beef Jerky Robot
Sep 20, 2009

"And the DICK?"

My favorite thing about Literally Anything is the aggressive elitism it brings out in goons.

Robiben
Jul 19, 2006

Life is...weird

:smug: Heh so you want to LEARN how to cook? I know you never leave your mums basement but let me tell you about "supermarkets" and "recipes".

Edit: I have no strong feelings for or against Blue Apron but if it helps people learn cooking and new recipes then go for it?

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Whizbang posted:

Blue Apron is just lunchables for manchildren.

You say that like it's a bad thing.

Ojjeorago
Sep 21, 2008

I had a dream, too. It wasn't pleasant, though ... I dreamt I was a moron...
Gary’s Answer

Ariong posted:

You say that like it's a bad thing.

Absolutely not, lunchables are awesome.

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
Isn't half the point of Lunchables the fact that you don't have to cook anything

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

There were a few lunchables that you were supposed to cook. The pizza one comes to mind as being particularly vile if one does not have access to a microwave. I think they did a bit about that on the show in fact.

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

I want a MBMBaM moneyzone spot for actual Lunchables. Can we make this happen

Invisible Ted
Aug 24, 2011

hhhehehe

kidcoelacanth posted:

I want a MBMBaM moneyzone spot for actual Lunchables. Can we make this happen

Only for munchables.

I actually started getting club w due to their moneyzone spot. I don't let it come whenever, because I don't like automatic purchases,but its decent wine for a good price.

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

One of my biggest issues with stuff like Blue Apron is that it's marketed to a very specific type of person - younger, affluent, yet sheltered, because they can afford to pay a premium to have other people do things they don't know how to do themselves, via the internet, rather than using that same internet to learn how to do/make whatever product they're buying. This person also, often paradoxically so, likes to think of themselves as 'ahead of the pack' because they rely on Internet services rather than 'brick and mortar' services, which are seen as part of the establishment. They're participating in an economy of such extreme privilege that they're paying Internet people to send them the basic staples of self-sufficiency and adulthood while at the same time getting to think of themselves as socially advanced people.

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
Darn young people, why can't they just already know things and do everything themselves instead of using a bit of their money for minor conveniences.

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

flatluigi posted:

Darn young people, why can't they just already know things and do everything themselves instead of using a bit of their money for minor conveniences.

Really, the best way to learn how to do things is to just pay other people to do them for you. It's like a mommy that never asks you to help out around the house.

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

Travis343 posted:

One of my biggest issues with stuff like Blue Apron is that it's marketed to a very specific type of person - younger, affluent, yet sheltered, because they can afford to pay a premium to have other people do things they don't know how to do themselves, via the internet, rather than using that same internet to learn how to do/make whatever product they're buying. This person also, often paradoxically so, likes to think of themselves as 'ahead of the pack' because they rely on Internet services rather than 'brick and mortar' services, which are seen as part of the establishment. They're participating in an economy of such extreme privilege that they're paying Internet people to send them the basic staples of self-sufficiency and adulthood while at the same time getting to think of themselves as socially advanced people.

hmm, good point. alternatively: who the gently caress cares

Heroic Yoshimitsu
Jan 15, 2008

Travis343 posted:

Really, the best way to learn how to do things is to just pay other people to do them for you. It's like a mommy that never asks you to help out around the house.

Isn't the point of blue apron that you do the actual cooking yourself?

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

Heroic Yoshimitsu posted:

Isn't the point of blue apron that you do the actual cooking yourself?

I'm sure there's a startup working on that right now. Disrupt!

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

okay just for funsies explain to me how it's materially different to order from blue apron versus using amazon prime direct to order all the ingredients for whatever meal you're cooking

I'll await your tortured justification for the former being more immoral than the latter

Travis343 posted:

I'm sure there's a startup working on that right now. Disrupt!

also in-home food delivery services have been around since what, the early fuckin' nineties

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

those fuckin millenials, updating a service that's been concepted and utilized for decades at this point! lazy privilege! grrrr!

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes

Toxxupation posted:

also in-home food delivery services have been around since what, the early fuckin' nineties

Only milennials order pizza delivery, haven't you heard

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

Well amazon doesn't sell raw meat and vegetables, I don't think. And getting some Domino's delivered doesn't come with the free back pat of getting to say you cooked a meal.

I guess as a first step into providing for oneself, anything that gets people fresh out of college off of takeout and totinos is good. To me it just seems like a ridiculous extravagance. To paraphrase a McElroy the problems solved by Blue Apron and the rest are so white you could cut holes in them and wear them as a Halloween costume.

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

Travis343 posted:

Well amazon doesn't sell raw meat and vegetables, I don't think.

it does, that's what amazon prime direct does

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

Toxxupation posted:

it does, that's what amazon prime direct does

Whoa that's pretty messed up

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

sorry, "AmazonFresh", that's what it's apparently called

on top of apps like InstaCart being an update for whatever grocery outlets marketed to housewives in the suburbs in the sixties in-home grocery delivery services

at this point you're whining about something that's been in existence for, what, half a century or more