Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

dont skimp on the shrimp
Apr 23, 2008

:coffee:
seems to be working fine. i expected a lot worse really

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pram
Jun 10, 2001
wow you installed a package good job

dont skimp on the shrimp
Apr 23, 2008

Yes i did!

It's a beta driver with experimental features. I sure didn't expect it to just work on linux, and you probably wouldn't either

pram
Jun 10, 2001
u deserve a pat on the butt and an ice cream

xPanda
Feb 6, 2003

Was that me or the door?

Athas posted:

I am a PhD student, and my research involves a compiler for a functional language that generates high-performance GPU code. Many times have I regretted selecting a research field dependent on functioning GPU drivers on Linux.

Although modern Intel GPUs are pretty nice, seem to have even more horsepower than their attached CPUs, and the drivers tend to work well.

yeah I wasted a year of my PhD in 2012-2013 screwing around with gpgpu stuff on linux - the drivers were often a nightmare. i did find it odd that AMD's OpenCL stack got more performance out of the Intel CPU device than did Intel's own stack. who the gently caress knows. do the Intel drivers for linux allow access to the GPU device yet? we begged for that for years

dont skimp on the shrimp
Apr 23, 2008

pram posted:

u deserve a pat on the butt and an ice cream
Thank you!

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009
My power supply poo poo the bed and hosed over my root partition today. Glad everything is on /home!

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

whoa, what just happened here?

College Slice

ratbert90 posted:

My power supply poo poo the bed and hosed over my root partition today. Glad everything is on /home!

How is this a thing

pram
Jun 10, 2001
hes running ext2, journals arent in with the kids these days

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009
Don't ask me, both partitions are ext4. :shrug: I thought it was the ssd being poo poo, but my second ssd with Windows on it starting freezing as well. Swapping PSUs fixed the problem.

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

whoa, what just happened here?

College Slice

pram posted:

hes running ext2, journals arent in with the kids these days

Rats, he posted in front of my "journaling isn't UNIX philosophy" systemd dig

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde
i found it, the best linux:
http://tinycorelinux.net/
(the text-mode version obviously)

todo: fork this and remove everything from busybox that can be done with shell scripts

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost

Gazpacho posted:

i found it, the best linux:
http://tinycorelinux.net/
(the text-mode version obviously)

todo: fork this and remove everything from busybox that can be done with shell scripts

Roll your own build of OpenEmbedded, don't be a pussy :colbert:

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde
since when is pushing a button on a big fat plang tool the "manly" way to develop anything

Apocadall
Mar 25, 2010

Aren't you the guitarist for the feed dogs?

wrote my own ax25 frame for class, it's poo poo, also a bell202 encoder and NRZI bitstuffer that is also poo poo

did i do linux right?

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
if you're doing linux in any capacity you're already doing it wrong

cowboy beepboop
Feb 24, 2001

Mr Dog posted:

if you're doing linux in any capacity you're already doing it wrong

linux is the server os of choice, sorry

Athas
Aug 6, 2007

fuck that joker

xPanda posted:

do the Intel drivers for linux allow access to the GPU device yet? we begged for that for years

No idea, but the free Beignet drivers provide access to the GPU device and are plenty fast and stable.

There is so much compute power here, this has to become mainstream somehow.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
Well it is already mainstream. If you're playing games :v:

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

my stepdads beer posted:

linux is the server os of choice, sorry

And embedded.

Celexi
Nov 25, 2006

Slava Ukraini!
Yesterday i played dota 2 on my linux with fine graphics and zero input lag, and also streamed it to twitch.tv which added no performance hit either on cpu encoding or NVENC. looking back a few months streaming would add horrible input lag and grind computer to halt, also nvenc didnt work.

Zam Wesell
Mar 22, 2009

[Zam is suddenly shot in the neck by a toxic dart; Anakin and Obi-Wan see a "rocket-man" take off and fly away, and Zam dies]

Celexi posted:

Yesterday i played dota 2 on my linux with fine graphics and zero input lag, and also streamed it to twitch.tv which added no performance hit either on cpu encoding or NVENC. looking back a few months streaming would add horrible input lag and grind computer to halt, also nvenc didnt work.

you were still playing dota tho

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde

ratbert90 posted:

And embedded.
oh right all those microcontrollers and ATMs and toasters running lunix? idts

nosl
Jan 17, 2015

CHIM, bitch!
Gaming on Linux is ok, but honestly still buggy even on AAA titles. Some run well, like TF2. But... I had my first experience playing that game on Linux, and well, let's just say that it ran well, and it's the worst game I've ever had the misfortune of playing. I'll stick to crawl in CLI mode in a tty with framebuffer images on slackware.

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003
i get like 1/4 the frames and it looks like dog poo poo with no shadows or whatever and poo poo when i play DOTA on linux vs windows. its night and day lol. gently caress off!

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003
*game loads good and the lobby looks the same* oh cool linux gaming works now. this is badass.

*loads into a game it looks hosed up*

*gets into a teamfight and the game is a slide show, presses cl_showfps 1

Lysidas
Jul 26, 2002

John Diefenbaker is a madman who thinks he's John Diefenbaker.
Pillbug
well you made the mistake of playing something besides the only correct game, xcom 2, which works fine, the pre-v1.1 performance problems were on all platforms

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009
Tribes2 had a Linux port and it was really good.

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003
savage 2 and heroes of newerth has native windows, osx, and linux clients. maliken rules

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

back in the day i remember seeing quake 3 for linux boxes at the game store. idk if it was any good

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

Celexi
Nov 25, 2006

Slava Ukraini!

Smythe posted:

i get like 1/4 the frames and it looks like dog poo poo with no shadows or whatever and poo poo when i play DOTA on linux vs windows. its night and day lol. gently caress off!

wrong distro or wrong drivers

My Linux Rig
Mar 27, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 6 years!

nosl posted:

Gaming on Linux is ok

yeah maybe for a clown at the open sores circus

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010
freedom-hating statist shill
linux is a serious os for serious professionals, not a toy for gamers and other children to play with

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
yeah, Linux is a seriously bad os!!

My Linux Rig
Mar 27, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 6 years!

Soricidus posted:

linux is a serious os for serious professionals
yeah if your profession is computer clown

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

Celexi posted:

wrong distro or wrong drivers

no dude it was ubuntu gnome with the right drivers. the ones gaben told me to install.

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
op you should probably use nvidia hardware with fully american closed-source drivers now featuring vulkan and wayland support

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

Smythe posted:

no dude it was ubuntu gnome with the right drivers. the ones gaben told me to install.

weren't you the guy who literally couldn't install the nvidia drivers on Fedora, which is like 2 lines of console commands to do?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

ratbert90 posted:

weren't you the guy who literally couldn't install the nvidia drivers on Fedora, which is like 2 lines of console commands to do?

no