Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong
FIFA is currently trying to force places to pay back the bribes that FIFA issued to them, now that there's proof of the bribes happening. I think that tips FIFA to the shadiest for the moment.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe
FIFA got caught with its hands in the cookie jar about a million times by—surprise! The US. Big footie lovers here.

The Olympic committee is probably at least as dirty but while the US celebrates soccer games we only lose by one point or so Jesse Owens killed it right under Hitler's brushy nose hairs at the Berlin Olympics.

Draw your conclusions how you like I guess.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Douku posted:

I usually find the prospect of posting on SA intimidating but I'm willing to give these sub forums a shot. Thanks!

If you need any help, feel free to PM me - I can't guarantee I'll be helpful but I'm happy to try. :)

Defenestration
Aug 10, 2006

"It wasn't my fault that my first unconscious thought turned out to be-"
"Jesus, kid, what?"
"That something smelled delicious!"

Grimey Drawer

Smoking Crow posted:

What's shadier, FIFA or the IOC
At the moment, FIFA, but remember there is some overlap in members

Sk8ers4Christ
Mar 10, 2008

Lord, I ask you to watch over me as I pop an ollie off this 50-foot ramp. If I fail, I'll be seeing you.
Why do crime shows have so many spinoffs?

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Jake Snake posted:

Crime shows make :10bux: so if you make a spin off you can now have :20bux:

photomikey
Dec 30, 2012

Jake Snake posted:

Crime shows (i.e. crime reenactment) are cheap. They don't get spectacular ratings, but they are a good bang for the buck. Reality shows are the same way. That's why there are so many of both of them.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Jake Snake posted:

It's easier to adapt the formula to a new location or subset of cops in the same city, then it is for say, a sitcom to successfully branch off multiple other sitcoms, or more typical dramas to branch out other dramas.

Gravity Pike
Feb 8, 2009

I find this discussion incredibly bland and disinteresting.
Does anyone have a favorite android game that doesn't require an internet connection to play? My commute is changing to be significantly underground, and most things seem to require a constant connection so they can pester you into paying for freemium content.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

Gravity Pike posted:

Does anyone have a favorite android game that doesn't require an internet connection to play? My commute is changing to be significantly underground, and most things seem to require a constant connection so they can pester you into paying for freemium content.

I played the hell out of Crashlands earlier this year. Requires a connection to sync up saves but apart from that, you're fine to play offline.

Captain Bravo
Feb 16, 2011

An Emergency Shitpost
has been deployed...

...but experts warn it is
just a drop in the ocean.

Gravity Pike posted:

You might try going for a port of a non-mobile game. For instance, square-enix has been putting out some fairly decent iOS and Android ports of their final fantasy games.

El Jeffe
Dec 24, 2009

Gravity Pike posted:

One More Line and Infinity Loop. I think Plague, Inc also doesn't need internet.

Baron Porkface
Jan 22, 2007

Do Armenian-Americans favor a particular party? Has the POTUS ever involved himself in their territory issues?

A Real Happy Camper
Dec 11, 2007

These children have taught me how to believe.

Enourmo posted:

IOwnCalculus does a fine job of modding AI, thank you very much

(to continue the car theme, the answer is actually FIA)

Hey man Bernie eccelstone is clean, he paid the German court to dismiss his bribery claim perfectly legally

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

Captain Novolin posted:

Hey man Bernie eccelstone is clean, he paid the German court to dismiss his bribery claim perfectly legally

Well, if it's a crime to love one's country, then I'm guilty. And if it's a crime to steal a trillion dollars from our government and hand it over to communist Cuba, then I'm guilty of that too. And if it's a crime to bribe a jury, then so help me, I'll soon be guilty of that!

My stupid question: why is it that I can plug my android phone (Nexus 5 16gb) into my PC and it tells me in Explorer that it has 400mb memory free, but when I check Internal Storage in the settings, it says I have 4.7gb free? This phone doesn't have an expansion slot, so it can't be an SD card it's not taking into account. Hitting F5 on the Explorer window doesn't do anything.

Penguissimo
Apr 7, 2007

Captain Bravo posted:

You might try going for a port of a non-mobile game. For instance, square-enix has been putting out some fairly decent iOS and Android ports of their final fantasy games.

Last time I played Chrono Trigger, it didn't download all the files at once, but it instead download a new chunk once you'd reached certain points in the game. So you periodically needed an Internet connection to play it, but only at those points. I don't know when they were, whether this has been changed with recent updates, or if it even applied to all their games, though.

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Penguissimo posted:

Last time I played Chrono Trigger, it didn't download all the files at once, but it instead download a new chunk once you'd reached certain points in the game. So you periodically needed an Internet connection to play it, but only at those points. I don't know when they were, whether this has been changed with recent updates, or if it even applied to all their games, though.

They must have done voice, animation and sprite work to justify that.

Didn't the SNES one weigh in at 2 megabits or something?

syscall girl fucked around with this message at 05:39 on Mar 22, 2016

Gobbeldygook
May 13, 2009
Hates Native American people and tries to justify their genocides.

Put this racist on ignore immediately!

Gravity Pike posted:

Check out the Humble Mobile Bundle.

A lot of people like to use android console emulators.

AlphaKretin
Dec 25, 2014

A vase to face encounter.

...Vase to meet you?

GARVASE DAY!

syscall girl posted:

They must have done voice, animation and sprite work to justify that.

Didn't the SNES one way in at 2 megabits or something?

:cawg:

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

Baron Porkface posted:

Do Armenian-Americans favor a particular party? Has the POTUS ever involved himself in their territory issues?

I am pretty sure none of the current presidential candidates has ever even spoken the word "Armenia"

Gobbeldygook
May 13, 2009
Hates Native American people and tries to justify their genocides.

Put this racist on ignore immediately!

Earwicker posted:

I am pretty sure none of the current presidential candidates has ever even spoken the word "Armenia"

Bernie Sanders co-sponsored a congressional resolution recognizing the Armenian genocide as did Hillary Clinton back when she was a senator. Ted Cruz made an unequivocal statement about the Armenia genocide last year.

So the only real presidential candidate that hasn't taken a stance is Donald Trump and probably only because no-one has asked him yet.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.

It's time we take a stand and recognize that all of our leaders are in the pockets of Big Kardashian.

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

Ok so maybe they signed some stuff or read out a couple statements that were prepared for them. But I still personally do not believe any of them could point to Armenia on a map and I won't believe it until I see them do so in person, unaided.

AlbieQuirky
Oct 9, 2012

Just me and my 🌊dragon🐉 hanging out

Baron Porkface posted:

The two biggest concentrations of Armenian Americans are in Massachusetts and California. I'm in Mass and all the Armenian Americans I know are Democrats, for whatever that's worth.

Nighthand
Nov 4, 2009

what horror the gas

Gravity Pike posted:

If you like Picross-style games I have gotten like 200 hours of play out of Hungry Cat Picross, which changes up the instructions a little but has a ton of puzzles.

break-up breakdown
Mar 6, 2010

is there some way to download (free) audio tracks from itunes.apple.com without having to actually download itunes itself?

Tad Naff
Jul 8, 2004

I told you you'd be sorry buying an emoticon, but no, you were hung over. Well look at you now. It's not catching on at all!
:backtowork:

Nighthand posted:

If you like Picross-style games I have gotten like 200 hours of play out of Hungry Cat Picross, which changes up the instructions a little but has a ton of puzzles.

Simon Tatham's Puzzles is like 40 totally offline ad free puzzles. Not much action, but excellent. It has a sort-of picross, but randomly generated (not actually pictures).

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006
UNGH LET ME LICK THOSE BOOTS DADDY HULU ;-* ;-* ;-* YES YES GIVE ME ALL THE CORPORATE CUMMIES :shepspends: :shepspends: :shepspends: ADBLOCK USERS DESERVE THE DEATH PENALTY, DON'T THEY DADDY?
WHEN THE RICH GET RICHER I GET HORNIER :a2m::a2m::a2m::a2m:

OK, here is a truly stupid question that seems obvious at first glance but on the other hand...

So, I have a Capital One 360 account. Like many bank accounts, I can take a picture of a check I've received and endorsed, upload it to the website, and it gets deposited, whereupon I destroy the physical check.

Let's say I have a $100 bill. Why can't I deposit the money in a similar manner, sending a video of me destroying the bill itself as the money is desposited (assume for the sake of argument that the website could verify it's not a counterfeit bill)? Again, it seems obvious: they don't have the physical money. But banks do bank-to-bank transfers all the time and there aren't trucks full of money travelling from Ye Local Smalltown Bank to Chase Manhattan --it's just digitally transferred with the polite and shared belief that Chase is now the owner of that money that only exists in its computers. Since I destroyed that $100 bill with its unique serial number, no one else can ever come along to dispute the ownership of that specific $100 bill. If we all agreed to accept that Capital One now had possession of that $100, who is there to dispute it?

DavidAlltheTime
Feb 14, 2008

All David...all the TIME!

regulargonzalez posted:

OK, here is a truly stupid question that seems obvious at first glance but on the other hand...

So, I have a Capital One 360 account. Like many bank accounts, I can take a picture of a check I've received and endorsed, upload it to the website, and it gets deposited, whereupon I destroy the physical check.

Let's say I have a $100 bill. Why can't I deposit the money in a similar manner, sending a video of me destroying the bill itself as the money is desposited (assume for the sake of argument that the website could verify it's not a counterfeit bill)? Again, it seems obvious: they don't have the physical money. But banks do bank-to-bank transfers all the time and there aren't trucks full of money travelling from Ye Local Smalltown Bank to Chase Manhattan --it's just digitally transferred with the polite and shared belief that Chase is now the owner of that money that only exists in its computers. Since I destroyed that $100 bill with its unique serial number, no one else can ever come along to dispute the ownership of that specific $100 bill. If we all agreed to accept that Capital One now had possession of that $100, who is there to dispute it?

Follow-up question: Could we conceivably have a 'hard-copyless' economy, using plastic and online transactions exclusively?

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

Sure. It might seem silly, but the only difference between dollar bills and green napkins is government endorsement as a currency; the same would be true of a hypothetical all digital currency vs, say, bitcoin.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

regulargonzalez posted:

Let's say I have a $100 bill. Why can't I deposit the money in a similar manner, sending a video of me destroying the bill itself as the money is desposited (assume for the sake of argument that the website could verify it's not a counterfeit bill)?
Cheques are basically a contract between two people. A cheque doesn't directly represent money, it just represents an agreement to transfer money. If you forge a cheque, the victim will notice that they're missing some money. A note or coin actually represents money, so if you forge one then you have essentially created money, so no one will notice. If there was a 100% reliable and accurate way to detect forgeries and ensure the destruction of the notes then I can't see any reason you couldn't do as you suggest though.

DavidAlltheTime posted:

Follow-up question: Could we conceivably have a 'hard-copyless' economy, using plastic and online transactions exclusively?
I pretty much live that way now, so I don't see why not.

Feb 2, 2016

by R. Guyovich
All of a sudden my laptop (windows 10) is simply not spell checking anything.. my lil red wiggly line is MIA. This effects every single thing/place/item i use on the net, im kinda assuming ive managed to turn it off by randomly banging keys?

You fix!

kapalama
Aug 15, 2007

:siren:EVERYTHING I SAY ABOUT JAPAN OR LIVING IN JAPAN IS COMPLETELY WRONG, BUT YOU BETTER BELIEVE I'LL :spergin: ABOUT IT.:siren:

PLEASE ADD ME TO YOUR IGNORE LIST.

IF YOU SEE ME POST IN A JAPAN THREAD, PLEASE PM A MODERATOR SO THAT I CAN BE BANNED.

regulargonzalez posted:

Let's say I have a $100 bill. Why can't I deposit the money in a similar manner, sending a video of me destroying the bill itself as the money is desposited (assume for the sake of argument that the website could verify it's not a counterfeit bill)?

Ignoring the verification of the bill and the destruction, you are forgetting the very real cost of making currency of all sorts.

Suppose "they" allowed this process, and charged $15.00 for the convenience per bill destroyed.

Baron Porkface
Jan 22, 2007

Is there still a Juggalo or Everest climber mock thread in GBS?

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe

Tiggum posted:

if you forge one then you have essentially created money,

You essentially create money constantly, not only from forging it. Want some gum and have a dollar? Go to a store and buy a dollar worth of gum. There is now one dollar in the store owner's pocket (and one fewer temporarily worthless pack of gum) and one dollar worth of something in your pocket. You and the store owner created a dollar. It's a bit more complicated when you eat the gum, but only in that it's harder to resell or represent the utility you've gained from doing so.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

regulargonzalez posted:

A law had to be passed to make depositing checks by photo legal - specifically the "Check Clearing for the 21st Century Act" of 2003. Although the law was primarily meant so that banks would no longer have to send the physical deposited check to another bank in most circumstances, it also made it legal for the same sort of scanned/photographed check images to be used between consumer and bank.

If any bank wanted to get into remote depositing cash in the way you describe, we'd probably need a new federal law to be passed to allow the practice. Note that if you have a torn up bill, but with serial numbers still readable if put back together and at least 51% of the total bill with you, it can be turned in at a bank to be replaced with a new bill of the same value - so you'd probably have to prove you'd burned the bill beyond recognition or some other extreme method of destruction.

As a side note: there's absolutely no requirement to destroy the physical check after you deposit it remotely. In fact most banks recommend you hang on to the check for a while just in case the physical check ends up being needed. So if you've been tearing up those checks, stop it!

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

Earwicker posted:

Ok so maybe they signed some stuff or read out a couple statements that were prepared for them. But I still personally do not believe any of them could point to Armenia on a map and I won't believe it until I see them do so in person, unaided.

A lot of US air strikes in Syria and the surrounding area are based out of Turkey. I reckon most politicians up to date on foreign policy are aware of the Armenian genocide but turn a blind eye for this reason.

I'm also pretty sure the UN has had at least one resolution proposed to officially designate what happened as a genocide - try and look up how the US voted.

Organza Quiz
Nov 7, 2009

504 posted:

All of a sudden my laptop (windows 10) is simply not spell checking anything.. my lil red wiggly line is MIA. This effects every single thing/place/item i use on the net, im kinda assuming ive managed to turn it off by randomly banging keys?

You fix!

You've probably somehow turned off the "check spelling as you type" option. I don't recall off the top of my head exactly where it is in options but I know that's more or less the wording of it, if that helps.

ETA: wait, you mean everything on the laptop was being spellchecked and not just Word? I have no idea then beyond it's probably a similar option and you should just go poking around in your windows options for it.

A Real Happy Camper
Dec 11, 2007

These children have taught me how to believe.
Really, the global economy should just use bitcoin

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

uwaeve
Oct 21, 2010

focus this time so i don't have to keep telling you idiots what happened
Lipstick Apathy

Baron Porkface posted:

Is there still a Juggalo or Everest climber mock thread in GBS?

Not sure about the ninjastomper58 thread, but the Everest annual thread can be found at http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3762301.