Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow
I can't believe that I and Beefstew may control the fate of the Middle East

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PiedPiper
Jan 1, 2014

The Vosgian Beast posted:

I can't believe that I and Beefstew may control the fate of the Middle East

These posters are pa... aw, gently caress it.

Hbomberguy
Jul 4, 2009

[culla=big red]TufFEE did nO THINg W̡RA̸NG[/read]

See?

Once you start worrying about what hypothetical other people think, about how angry or dogmatic they might or might not be, there's no escape. It's nonsense misunderstandings about how angry other people look, stamping on a human face forever, punctuated only by Ishtar references.

Instead of bellyaching about how some people might potentially think they're right and you're wrong too hard, we could be discussing internet critics.

Josef K. Sourdust
Jul 16, 2014

"To be quite frank, Platinum sucks at making games. Vanquish was terrible and Metal Gear Rising: Revengance was so boring it put me to sleep."

Aren't we all - in a very real sense - internet critics?

Makes you think.

Hbomberguy
Jul 4, 2009

I agree. We have a duty to discuss.

For starters, I wrote a post comparing Hitman to James Bond and no-one's called me out on that yet. Someone, anyone, save us from mediocrity and how other people might be dogmatic blah blah ideological purity buzzwords blah, and throw down with a real person (me) about their dumb ideas. I've got diagrams prepared and everything! I drew conspiracy theory red lines on pictures of a 15 year old game! Let's loving idea-joust, people!

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?
Idea: Bravest is going off on a bizarre and distressing tilt over this BvS situation and is either genuinely incapable of understanding why someone might desire an alternative creative direction, or is just being willfully dense.

Linear Zoetrope
Nov 28, 2011

A hero must cook

Hbomberguy posted:

For starters, I wrote a post comparing Hitman to James Bond and no-one's called me out on that yet. Someone, anyone, save us from mediocrity and how other people might be dogmatic blah blah ideological purity buzzwords blah, and throw down with a real person (me) about their dumb ideas. I've got diagrams prepared and everything! I drew conspiracy theory red lines on pictures of a 15 year old game! Let's loving idea-joust, people!

That post was largely non-objectionable though. I mean, you did add SOME conspiracy theory red lines with:

quote:

It's a fairly accurate allegory for cold war politics.

But it's one of your posts so it's had to exist somewhere.

I think you went a little far in your analysis of Hitman as a huge grotesque deconstruction of James Bond-esque "license to kill" largely masculine empowerment fantasies, but not overly far. I don't think that angle was (at least was not wholly) intentional. But it's a fairly valid reading of the series that I don't think is (obviously) wrong.

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy
e: why am i egen arguing about this anymore

BravestOfTheLamps fucked around with this message at 14:21 on Mar 23, 2016

DStecks
Feb 6, 2012

Jsor posted:

I think you went a little far in your analysis of Hitman as a huge grotesque deconstruction of James Bond-esque "license to kill" largely masculine empowerment fantasies, but not overly far. I don't think that angle was (at least was not wholly) intentional. But it's a fairly valid reading of the series that I don't think is (obviously) wrong.

Eh, I'd say that by Blood Money the series was pretty upfront about 47 being pretty much the villain. The tutorial mission has you assassinating a guy whose crime was running a lovely theme park, and his life has already completely gone to poo poo, and he is clearly remorseful about everything he's done, but you murder him with his own baseball bat because 47 doesn't give a hot gay gently caress about morality, the only thing that matters to him is the job. It's a slower, methodical Hotline Miami.

Genetic Toaster
Jun 5, 2011

Honestly I can see where FemFreq is coming from on this. A game with Hitman's freeform focus and social stealth mechanics where you're blending in with a crowd or breaking into a place to steal something without anyone noticing would be the best. There's so many ways you could take social stealth beyond Hitman and the version of Splinter Cell: Conviction that never materialized.

But maybe that's just my love of trashy heist movies coming through. :v:

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

Hbomberguy posted:

I thought it was a cool idea and look forward to a ten minute video explaining it in greater detail.

MrSlam
Apr 25, 2014

And there you sat, eating hamburgers while the world cried.
[joke]Oh good, I woke up this morning in a panic wondering if we were still talking about Hitman and was worried we'd moved on. Thank heavens.[/joke]

Does anyone have Internet Critic recommendations with lower subscriber/view counts/Patreon supporters? It gets harder and harder to find up and comers on Youtube. I've come across a few but I'm always on the lookout for more.

Ensign_Ricky posted:

And with that, the next episode of Tequila and Bonetti is up and available!
He seems in good spirits about it. He's able to acknowledge that he's sad but he's able to joke about it
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DwgtX-_GlkA

MrSlam fucked around with this message at 15:58 on Mar 23, 2016

e X
Feb 23, 2013

cool but crude
In Critic news, SFDebris has started to review the 10th Kingdom miniseries: http://sfdebris.com/videos/tv/tenthkingdom.php

Genetic Toaster
Jun 5, 2011

MrSlam posted:

Does anyone have Internet Critic recommendations with lower subscriber/view counts/Patreon supporters? It gets harder and harder to find up and comers on Youtube. I've come across a few but I'm always on the lookout for more.

It's mostly hard to find up-and-comers because the format is dead. If you're not an established personality or entirely based around Video Essays in the same way Errant Signal/MrBTongue are, it's borderline impossible to break into reviewing on YouTube now.

That being said, I'm really into Game Maker's Toolkit, Cagey Videos, Matt Lees' video essays for Cool Ghosts, and Good Blood.

MrSlam
Apr 25, 2014

And there you sat, eating hamburgers while the world cried.

Genetic Toaster posted:

It's mostly hard to find up-and-comers because the format is dead.

Thanks for the recommendations. Game Maker's Toolkit in particular looks interesting. I wouldn't say the format is dead though, but it has definitely evolved. It's never going to be the Golden Age of Angry Nerds and Windows Movie Maker again but there's always going to be people who do this sort of thing as a hobby as opposed to a living. Gotta find those diamonds in the rough.

hopeandjoy
Nov 28, 2014

Are there any good critics that review western TV animation? Or just western animation in general, I guess. I'm not really looking for things like the knockoff Disney DTD movies though.

I'd prefer a slightly more "academic" (I guess) tone rather than "GEN WUN TRANSFORMERS IS THE BEST", but I'll take what I can get.

je1 healthcare
Sep 29, 2015

Genetic Toaster posted:

Honestly I can see where FemFreq is coming from on this. A game with Hitman's freeform focus and social stealth mechanics where you're blending in with a crowd or breaking into a place to steal something without anyone noticing would be the best. There's so many ways you could take social stealth beyond Hitman and the version of Splinter Cell: Conviction that never materialized.

But maybe that's just my love of trashy heist movies coming through. :v:

Hitman: Absolution attempted to do this, in which the majority of the levels you were tasked with simply sneaking from point A to point B or stealing something. But as a result, most people hated the levels where you weren't tasked with killing someone, even though the underlying mechanics were all there. Though, the corridor design of the levels didn't help.

Archer666
Dec 27, 2008

BravestOfTheLamps posted:

Eagerly awaiting a wave of video reviews freaking out over "not fun" Batman v Superman.

I cant wait for his video review.

Hbomberguy
Jul 4, 2009

When I watch a film I also hallucinate wildly about the director's private life

Asuron
Nov 27, 2012

BravestOfTheLamps posted:

Again, why is it good that a vague establishment of amateur-to-professional critics agrees with you? I haven't seen the movie, but your criteria for judging it are bizarre. It's good that the large corporation might makes less serious movies because they're degrading your relationship with a fictional universe?

I foresee internet critics bemoaning the movie's potential success due to "idiots" (read: working people and non-Americans) flocking to it like to Transformers movies.

Terrible Opinions posted:

I think it's a fairly simply platform. "I want movies I like to do well and movies I dislike to do poorly, so that there will be more movies I like in the future and fewer movies I dislike," isn't exactly some sort of revolutionary concept.

See I thought this was a simple concept and you get it, but Lamps doesn't. You have a really bad habit of getting hung up on the weirdest poo poo Lamps.

Asuron fucked around with this message at 18:05 on Mar 23, 2016

A Gnarlacious Bro
Apr 25, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Archer666 posted:

What the gently caress is this lol

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow

Archer666 posted:

I think Moviebob needs to chill.

Archer666
Dec 27, 2008

A Gnarlacious Bro posted:

What the gently caress is this lol

An internet critic in his natural habitat.

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

Asuron posted:

See I thought this was a simple concept and you get it, but Lamps doesn't. You have a really bad habit of getting hung up on the weirdest poo poo Lamps.

I think it's bizarre to want movies to fall because you didn't like them.

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe
I'm expecting a lot of internalized annoyance in Internet Critic reviews of BvS. They'll mostly tell you not to see it, the bulk of the audience will be watching their review after seeing it, and they know it. They will have to critique a movie that's critic proof. The fact that so many of them still bring up Man of Steel so much lends credence to this hunch.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

I'm not glad that I was right about Batman vs Superman being poo-poo because I wanted DC to put out a movie that surprised me and wasn't poo-poo. Too bad it's probably poo-poo.

I think Moviebob needs to chill.
That's pretty overdramatic yeah. I wanted a good Superman movie but its not like my copy of All-Star Superman is gonna combust just because WB made another lovely one.

Augus fucked around with this message at 18:35 on Mar 23, 2016

HorseRenoir
Dec 25, 2011

Pillbug

Archer666 posted:

loving JOCKS :argh:

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Hbomberguy posted:

When I watch a film I also hallucinate wildly about the director's private life

MovieBob is overdramatic about geek stuff but you're such a dick in like every post you make, it's astoundingly annoying.

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow

WickedHate posted:

MovieBob is overdramatic about geek stuff but you're such a dick in like every post you make, it's astoundingly annoying.

He has a point.

HorseRenoir posted:

I kinda hate pulling that card, but yeah. That is exactly what this is.

Plus we already know Zach Snyder wants to make a Fountainhead movie, which is way worse than anything Moviebob imagined about him.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

HorseRenoir posted:

Zack Snyder seems like the kind of guy who would've beaten me up in high school and stolen my girl that I wanted to go out with and gone on to get tons of scholarships to great schools and have an illustrious sex life.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

He has a point.

I'm not taking up Bob's defense but the overblown snark is a little much for the situation.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

WickedHate posted:

I'm not taking up Bob's defense but the overblown snark is a little much for the situation.

It really isn't.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:
I bet movie Bob is the kind of guy that writes a novel about his experience playing super Mario Bros 3.
I bet movie Bob compares the competition between Sega and Nintendo to Vietnam
I bet movie Bob reminisces about how he spent his grandma's funeral playing Nintendo instead

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

I won this avatar on a technicality this thick.

Plus we already know Zach Snyder wants to make a Fountainhead movie

Where did that come from?

Hbomberguy
Jul 4, 2009

I mean I think movies can tell you a lot about their creators and the ideology in the culture surrounding it but even I don't think I could tell you Snyder was on the Paleo diet. That's some Sherlock Holmes poo poo. Someone put Moviebob on a crime prevention unit where his talents are less wasted.

Snyder's work is always intensely critical of the ideologies of the stories he adapts. 300 satirises fascist reinterpretation of history, Watchmen does the same to American attitudes to reality, Man of Steel is a movie entirely about being trapped in a self-destructive machine, comparing Krypton to Capitalism in such an incredibly pointed way that it drives liberal marvel fanatics to acid-spitting, motor-oil candle-fantasizing tears...he's an all round brilliant filmmaker and I can't wait to see BvS, and also can't wait to see him adapt Rand's first novel, a novel that accidentally satirises her philosophy constantly by presenting Howard Roark, her ideal man, as a psychotic idiot manchild once you put any thought into his actions.

But I'm sure everyone here criticising Snyder for his decisions bothered to read the fountainhead and observe this for themselves, right?

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax
Ah yes, Snyder is a secret satirical genius, of course.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

ACTUALLY THIS MOVIE SUCKS BECAUSE IT'S SATIRE, IT'S BRILLIANT YOU SEE

je1 healthcare
Sep 29, 2015
Snyder always came across to me in interviews as a skinny socially awkward dork but I haven't seen any since 2008.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Zach Snyder's style is repetitive and completely tone-deaf, his Watchmen adaptation was horribly botched when he tried to use the same tricks of melodrama that he used with 300, when Watchmen the book had a very grounded, realist style for the most part that emphasized dialogue and small character gestures over everything else. It required subtlety, which Snyder's films severely lack.

Also the mere presence of political commentary doesn't elevate a film, Man of Steel's political commentary was very tired and heavy-handed, and it was mixed in with cringe-worthy appeals towards American nationalism. Oh, capitalism often means the strong devour the weak and that's kinda messed up. Good to know that again, I guess. Also 9/11 was really sad and people in the military are brave!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hbomberguy
Jul 4, 2009

There's nothing secret about it. That's not how satire works. If you'd like to argue as to why they aren't, you're welcome to!

• Locked thread