Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
TheDarkFlame
May 4, 2013

You tell me I didn't build that?

I'll have you know I worked my fingers to the bone to get where I am today.
The biggest problem with GTA4 is how it tries to be a gritty drama full of tragedy and regret which, even if it was a good gritty drama (NIKO COUSIN LETS GO BOWLING), quickly gets derailed by the stupid reckless poo poo any given person will try to do when they have any amount of freedom in an open-world game.

This isn't a dumb derail, GTA4 was a PS4 game, right?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

the truth
Dec 16, 2007

I played a bit of Bully for the first time today and now I understand the praise. Not sure why Rockstar didn't make a series out of it.

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem

the truth posted:

I played a bit of Bully for the first time today and now I understand the praise. Not sure why Rockstar didn't make a series out of it.

How would you even make a sequel to that? A high school student doing sandbox interactions within that small scale context is funny; a college student going around punching people is just a GTA psycho.

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

mycot posted:

How would you even make a sequel to that? A high school student doing sandbox interactions within that small scale context is funny; a college student going around punching people is just a GTA psycho.

Easy, go the opposite direction and set it in elementary school. Bonus points if you're a mongoloid who has been held back for like five grades, so you're a giant amidst babes.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

8-Bit Scholar posted:

Easy, go the opposite direction and set it in elementary school. Bonus points if you're a mongoloid who has been held back for like five grades, so you're a giant amidst babes.

asian people are good at school yo

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

mycot posted:

Different kid a few years later or at a different school. The way Persona did it.

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
I had a crazy, classic life
Exciting Lemon
GTA3 and Vice City were really fun when they came out. I beat 3 and ended up making my own fun by trying to fly the dodo as far as possible (made it from the last island to the first!). GTA San Andreas and the later titles became increasingly unfun for me as they had more story and increasingly divergent-from-just-causing-mayhem gameplay elements I could not give a gently caress about like girlfriends, janky dress-up, eating, working out, taking over territory, and maintaining criminal empire stuff. Just set me loose on the yardies and give me fun tunes so I canblow everything up.

I was always kinda sad they never went back to the British crime well like they did with that London '60s expansion for GTA2.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

bloodychill posted:

GTA3 and Vice City were really fun when they came out. I beat 3 and ended up making my own fun by trying to fly the dodo as far as possible (made it from the last island to the first!). GTA San Andreas and the later titles became increasingly unfun for me as they had more story and increasingly divergent-from-just-causing-mayhem gameplay elements I could not give a gently caress about like girlfriends, janky dress-up, eating, working out, taking over territory, and maintaining criminal empire stuff. Just set me loose on the yardies and give me fun tunes so I canblow everything up.

I was always kinda sad they never went back to the British crime well like they did with that London '60s expansion for GTA2.
Rockstar North's main purpose with the franchise appears to be to lampoon America...though that seems to have been lost on many GTA players over the years, as well as the media for the most part.

grrarg
Feb 14, 2011

Don't lose your head over it.
I don't think it is lost on anyone. It is more that Rockstar's writers do a lovely job of going after low-hanging fruit in the most boring and cliche way possible then try to pass it off as keen insights from non-Americans. Mental masturbation at its worst.

CrashCat
Jan 10, 2003

another shit post

grrarg posted:

I don't think it is lost on anyone. It is more that Rockstar's writers do a lovely job of going after low-hanging fruit in the most boring and cliche way possible then try to pass it off as keen insights from non-Americans. Mental masturbation at its worst.
Well, the tone has always been a bit on the wacky side when it comes to the parody, so they just kinda stuck with it over the years. Too bad for them that Saints Row 4 came around and did the exaggerated wackiness better than they could ever possibly match.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
loving loving TrackMania

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=uVPAE6tuJ-c&feature=em-upload_owner

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

grrarg posted:

Yeah, I was definitely not implying that they are any good at satire. Also, I think their treatment of female characters is uniquely awful in a way that can't be explained entirely by either being parody or being from a male dominated industry with a history of that stuff. They aggressively hate the poo poo out of every female character they make.

I don't think I will buy the next GTA game, not when the industry is now crowded with open world games.

Samurai Sanders fucked around with this message at 07:44 on Mar 23, 2016

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
Exciting Lemon

Samurai Sanders posted:

Rockstar North's main purpose with the franchise appears to be to lampoon America...though that seems to have been lost on many GTA players over the years, as well as the media for the most part.

The only really big part of that I remember are the radio ads and gun stores all over the place selling bazookas and poo poo. I remember thinking the radio stuff in 3 and Vice City was pretty funny but it's been a long time.

Joakim Brecht
Aug 20, 2013
I’ll have to say that GTA IV has great car physics and anyone who thinks otherwise has merely adopted some preconcieved notion about GTA games having bad car physics instead of thinking for themselves.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

Joakim Brecht posted:

I’ll have to say that GTA IV has great car physics and anyone who thinks otherwise has merely adopted some preconcieved notion about GTA games having bad car physics instead of thinking for themselves.

Counterpoint: San Francisco Rush has great car physics

edit; haha, I miss those awesome ps1 ports

BeanpolePeckerwood fucked around with this message at 08:09 on Mar 23, 2016

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
Exciting Lemon

Joakim Brecht posted:

You could get the tank to fly in 3 and possibly Vice City. What I'm saying is the game actually had great car physics if what you're interested in is "fun."

HGH
Dec 20, 2011

PhyrexianLibrarian posted:

So is it just me, or is GTA: San Andreas complete and utter garbage? Long and boring missions, crazy difficulty, uncontrollable vehicles, no cheats, and I have to regularly eat and workout? And I can't even buy a gun or amor? And my reward is having my fellow gang members yell at me for not catching the "drat train"? Well maybe if you weren't such a garbage shot I wouldn't have to! I just spent a solid 5 minutes gunning down people on a motorcycle, just to get blown up at the last second by a guy spawning directly on top of me.

Seriously, I've 100%'d all the other GTAs, and I hate this. Why is this considered one of the best games on the PS2?

PS2 San Andreas had cheats for weapons and ammo you can input with some button combinations, did they take those out of the PS4??

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Some say that his politics are terrifying, and that he once punched a horse to the ground...

NESguerilla posted:

Is it safe to say that the first fallout dlc is as not worth buying as it sounds?

Here's my quick review from the fallout thread:

'So I'm not sure if I could actually recommend automation by itself for anyone unless you have an raging hard on for making robots. But if you bought it as part of the season pass, especially the cheaper one before they increased the price, I think this is a pretty good start.

I'm a little over leveled for the dlc stuff but I've spent maybe almost 3 hours and just have the last mission to go.'

Basically, unless you could get a lot of fun from building robot companions, I wouldn't buy automation by itself for ten bucks. Just wait for that giant far harbor dlc.

or if you're willing to pay ten bucks for another 3 hours of fallout (plus however many you might get from building robots), then that's all you need to decide.

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Actually Saints Row is a bad game series full of dick jokes.

Playing GTA for the "mayhem" is dumb, thats not what the games are about.

poo poo thread.

Shadow225
Jan 2, 2007

Abu Dave posted:

poo poo thread.

A bloo bloo bloo nobody plays the games I like the way I like to play them
:goonsay:

Saagonsa
Dec 29, 2012

Abu Dave posted:

poo poo thread.

What exactly do you think games are about?

Quote-Unquote
Oct 22, 2002

Motto posted:

Sleepydogs is the only open-world game of its kind that I've enjoyed.

the relationship parts of sleepydogs are incredibly dumb and bad even by videogame standards and make absolutely no sense for the character.
"how dare you see another guy? I sang karaoke for you that one time in a place where you were paid to be! We spent five whole minutes hanging out, bitch! I'll kill you!"

good game otherwise though

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

I took you to Fight Club! Don't you know the rules? We did three subquests together...

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

I really liked the original Trackmania and I was just thinking "I could use a new arcade racer". I still miss Burnout Takedown and San Francisco Rush though.

RBA Starblade fucked around with this message at 14:21 on Mar 23, 2016

PhyrexianLibrarian
Feb 21, 2004

Compleat silence, please

bloodychill posted:

This is a better description of what I was trying to say. I don't mind the maintaining a criminal empire stuff, I mind the complete lack of ability to do anything in the game. They took what they'd made in Vice City and added the exact thing GTA didn't need: gritty "realism". You can't even go buy a gun until you're like 25% through the main story, meanwhile if you cross the wrong street you get shot to pieces with nothing but a can of spray paint to defend yourself. Can you run away? Nope, you're weak because you haven't built up your stamina by going to the gym!

It's like the parts of GTAV where Franklin's friend keeps trying to be a gangster and loving things up, except it's the whole game.

Re: cheats, they didn't take them out, but using any cheats disable trophies so that's on me, I accept that. And even that's a weird choice, since cheats didn't disable trophies in the other remastered games.

Syrinxx
Mar 28, 2002

Death is whimsical today

Abu Dave posted:

Actually Saints Row is a bad game series
haha look at this retard

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

BeanpolePeckerwood posted:

asian people are good at school yo

wow way to perpetuate stereotypes man

Quote-Unquote posted:

the relationship parts of sleepydogs are incredibly dumb and bad even by videogame standards and make absolutely no sense for the character.
"how dare you see another guy? I sang karaoke for you that one time in a place where you were paid to be! We spent five whole minutes hanging out, bitch! I'll kill you!"

For me it all just furthered the idea that Wei really IS cracking under the pressure of his job and he's a completely unhinged cop who gets by because nobody can actually manage to kill him.

Sleeping Dogs is the only GTA-style game I really loved. It's so much fun to drive in that game and I love the hong kong radio stations I wanna live there

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
What's next for Saints Row anyway? Anything? I'm still hoping for a remake of 2 or just a general reboot to that effect.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

One of the endings to Gat out of Hell was a reboot where the Saints end up as the police and I've been rooting for that ever since.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

NESguerilla posted:

Salt and Sanctuary is definitely a fun game, but I really have a hard time taking something this derivative seriously. I really wish they had used Souls as more of an inspiration than a template.

I feel like they could have made something really memorable but it comes off as fan fiction more than anything.

It's got good mechanics and serves as a pretty fun little distraction while I'm waiting for DaS3, but I think it's a bummer it doesn't try to be more than that.

I've seen a few people say this and I don't really get it. It is very much its own game; the exploration and platforming elements are far more of a Metroidvania thing than anything, the combat is entirely its own thing revolving around combos and such, and the overall aesthetic goes for a more punk gritty sort of thing than the typical Souls melancholy. To me it's a Metroidvania with a lot of Souls dressings owning to the devs being huge fans of it, and what elements it directly takes it always does something interesting with (e.g. how focus interacts with the stamina bar, how the creeds work in general, how sanctuaries work in general).

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

edit; nvm who cares

BeanpolePeckerwood fucked around with this message at 16:34 on Mar 23, 2016

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

Genocyber posted:

I've seen a few people say this and I don't really get it. It is very much its own game; the exploration and platforming elements are far more of a Metroidvania thing than anything, the combat is entirely its own thing revolving around combos and such, and the overall aesthetic goes for a more punk gritty sort of thing than the typical Souls melancholy. To me it's a Metroidvania with a lot of Souls dressings owning to the devs being huge fans of it, and what elements it directly takes it always does something interesting with (e.g. how focus interacts with the stamina bar, how the creeds work in general, how sanctuaries work in general).

The reason is simply that the first chunk of the game IS basically a 2-D Dark Souls, since none of the Metroidvania elements present themselves until you're a fair bit into the game. Platforming can be feel particularly clunky if you neglect to consider that heavy armor affects your jump and if you wanna platform, go light. Once people do, it's all simple from there, but the start of the game definitely has the strongest Souls-feel, for good and for ill. The game becomes its own entity as you go along, and I think the difficulty progression is overall quite good.

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

the only good saints row is the first one

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

Super No Vacancy posted:

the only good saints row is the first one

lol nah

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

I can understand not liking the Saints Row games. It means you're terrible and have bad opinions, but I can understand that.

There is no excuse for liking Saints Row 1.

Samurai Sanders posted:

What's next for Saints Row anyway? Anything? I'm still hoping for a remake of 2 or just a general reboot to that effect.

It should be you going back in time to kick your own rear end. Earth was destroyed because the Boss and the Saints got too powerful. The solution for saving Earth is obviously to stop their rise, and only one person is capable of that.

Mechanically it can play just like the pre-superpower ones but the rival gangs are the Saints themselves, and you can still have appearances from all the old characters.

It can even be the part between 1 and 2 while the Boss is in a coma where the Saints lose all their holdings.

Aphrodite fucked around with this message at 17:00 on Mar 23, 2016

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Now who looks even dumber?

Beef Witch

I love that this game looks and sounds so much like a modern take on a late 90s Japanese arcade racing game.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Aphrodite posted:

It should be you going back in time to kick your own rear end. Earth was destroyed because the Boss and the Saints got too powerful. The solution for saving Earth is obviously to stop their rise, and only one person is capable of that.

Mechanically it can play just like the pre-superpower ones but the rival gangs are the Saints themselves, and you can still have appearances from all the old characters.
That's even a way the police thing would work out. Had trouble picturing the details beyond just thinking the concept was great, to be honest.

What I mostly want out of a new Saints Row is a proper and undisturbed development process. Volition did a great job stitching bits and pieces together into a pretty good game twice, would be cool to have one now where the cracks don't show as much.

My Lovely Horse fucked around with this message at 17:05 on Mar 23, 2016

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

You play a Terminator sent to eliminate yourself that looks like.. yourself. So maybe you can keep some special powers like super jumping or whatever.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

Yodzilla posted:

I love that this game looks and sounds so much like a modern take on a late 90s Japanese arcade racing game.

Holy poo poo. The last time I played a trackmania game, it did not look like that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
I got Dark Souls 3. I am happy so far, but real Dark Souls has not started yet and I'm going to bed before it does, or else I won't be able to sleep.

Samurai Sanders fucked around with this message at 17:12 on Mar 23, 2016

• Locked thread