Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

I've lost twice, I've failed twice and I've gotten two dishonorable mentions within 7 weeks. But I keep coming back. I am The Trooper!

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Frionnel posted:

That's my father, except for the guerrila part.

Not that he told you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BHp6KfzySz0

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

What do you guys make of Obama's visit to Argentina?
It seems like Marci is trying to get a Free Trade Agreement and military aid from the US but I'm not sure how significant it is.

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

And what should one do to be remembered?
This was posted at my uni yesterday. A sizeable part of the country feels like this, I suppose.

The reverse has a picture of Obama riding a vulture and tackling what seems to be the Pink House.
I personally think it's a positive thing, dunno.

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep
Lots of news here in Brazil.

Lava Jato busted the offices of the giant construction conglomerate Odebretch. There they found a whole department dedicated exclusively to bribing, which even had its own software for bribe management.

Also a sheet with bribes for parties and politicians and basically everyone is on it:

http://politica.estadao.com.br/blogs/fausto-macedo/veja-a-lista-de-politicos-na-contabilidade-da-odebrecht/

Marcelo Odebretch, the CEO himself, made and agreement is going to spill the beans, and Im not sure the republic can survive it

hoiyes
May 17, 2007
So those figures in the spreadsheets are '000s of reais right. Really liked seeing Serra with a 3.2 million bribe next to his name and Haddad with a big fat 0.

Morrow
Oct 31, 2010
I've got to say, it's so convenient that they had such good record keeping.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

This is all I can think of

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pBdGOrcUEg8

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

Morrow posted:

I've got to say, it's so convenient that they had such good record keeping.

So did the Nazis. :hitler:

Never mind the spreadsheets, what is that stuff in the last document?

joepinetree
Apr 5, 2012
I guess this is the point where we can get a definitive answer as to how serious Moro and the anti corruption crusade is. Because that list hits the two biggest names in the opposition (Serra and Aecio), who have already been publicly discussing positions in the government when DIlma falls.

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

So now what happens? Are they actually going to start investigating the PSDB or is that too much to hope for?

joepinetree
Apr 5, 2012
Oh, wow. Just as I was saying this, Moro has issued an emergency order placing all the spreadsheets under judicial secret. Funny, he broke the law divulging the wiretaps of Lula because he said that public interest was greater than the legal concerns.

KoldPT
Oct 9, 2012

hoiyes posted:

So those figures in the spreadsheets are '000s of reais right. Really liked seeing Serra with a 3.2 million bribe next to his name and Haddad with a big fat 0.

Is Haddad any good? read a real interesting piece on him this morning, but you know how papers are.

https://www.publico.pt/mundo/noticia/encontro-em-lisboa-reune-oposicao-e-juizes-brasileiros-e-assusta-politicos-portugueses-1727020?page=-1

quote:

31 de Março de 2016, exactamente 52 anos depois do golpe militar que depôs o Presidente eleito João Goulart, Jango, e instaurou uma ditadura militar no Brasil que durou 21 anos. É precisamente nesse dia que termina, em Lisboa, um seminário luso-brasileiro de Direito com um tema sugestivo: Constituição e Crise – A Constituição no contexto das crises política e económica. Mas é o “quem” desta história que está a levantar várias ondas na relação entre Portugal e o Brasil. É que entre os oradores do seminário estão os principais dirigentes da oposição a Dilma Rousseff – os senadores Aécio Neves e José Serra, o juiz que impediu Lula da Silva de regressar ao Governo Federal, Gilmar Mendes, e o vice de Dilma Rousseff, do PMDB, Michel Temer (...)

This is intensely creepy

Ghost of Mussolini
Jun 26, 2011

Azran posted:

This was posted at my uni yesterday. A sizeable part of the country feels like this, I suppose.
What you quoted is both anti-K/Peronist and anti-current administration. A very small part of the country doesn't fall into one of those two groups.

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

And what should one do to be remembered?

Ghost of Mussolini posted:

What you quoted is both anti-K/Peronist and anti-current administration. A very small part of the country doesn't fall into one of those two groups.

I was mostly thinking of the "Obama go home!" attitude but yeah, you're right.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

It's not that hard to find argentinean leftists. Just trawl the Atlantic seaboard and you'll find a lot of them!

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

Badger of Basra posted:

So now what happens? Are they actually going to start investigating the PSDB or is that too much to hope for?

Yeah that's what I'm wondering as well; is this actually A Thing or will it just kept swept under the carpet like everything else? My local-to-me South American bros (mostly peruvians) are saying nothing will come off this, and the only Brazlian I know is an entitled cona so I don't bother asking him about this stuff.

joepinetree
Apr 5, 2012
I doubt anyone from PSDB will be charged. They have much stronger support in the media and judiciary.

Take the Mensalao case, for example. Mensalao refers to a monthly payment to certain key figures in exchange of political support. It started with the PSDB from Minas, and was adopted by PT at the federal level to keep congressional support. Everyone involved from PT has already been tried, arrested, and served or are serving their sentences. No one from PSDB has (one has been found guilty, but is appealing and the statute of limitations may set him free soon). So you have someone like Marcos Valerio, for example, who played the exact same role in the PSDB and PT scandals. The evidence of money moving through him exists for both scandals. He has been arrested, tried, convicted and is serving his sentence for the PT part of the scandal, but for the PSDB part of it his deposition was finally set for July 1st. Trial is still many months away. Despite the PSDB part of the scandal taking place almost a decade earlier than the PT part of it.

Sephyr
Aug 28, 2012
Back in Sao Paulo, catholic Carninal Dom Odilo was assaulted during Mass by an old lady accusinghim of being a communist and of sheltering bolsheviks in his church.

I used to say that for all of its issues, Brazil at least had no history of enduring religious/ethnic strife. Seems that the expiration date on that is approaching fast.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Uhhhh there was definitely religious strife. Remember that shitstorm when an evangelical pastor kicked a Catholic icon of Mary on TV?

Crowsbeak
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth
Lipstick Apathy
Brazil do yourself a favor and bring back the Inqusition.

Sephyr
Aug 28, 2012

TheLovablePlutonis posted:

Uhhhh there was definitely religious strife. Remember that shitstorm when an evangelical pastor kicked a Catholic icon of Mary on TV?

Ohh, there's been tension, just like there has been class and racial tension, but never actual knives coming out. Or segregated neighborhoods, people being asked if they are catholic or protestant and beaten, etc.

In fact, you could argue that our systems are oppression are effective precisely because they tend to be subtle and frictionless most of the time. When they become overt, they tend to fail.

nerdz
Oct 12, 2004

Complex, statistically improbable things are by their nature more difficult to explain than simple, statistically probable things.
Grimey Drawer
Funny you guys say this, here in goiania there's a crazy kid that studied on the Olavo's seminars who is asking for the expulsion of the PUC-GO Dean because he goes against the catholic university laws. The catholic canon laws say that the dean must be a man of good conduct, and since he's affiliated with PT he's a marxist and obviously against the rules.

Same kid stormed into a PUC-GO teacher's convention and started a fistfight by calling everyone names because some of them were non-christian and teaching cultural marxism.

He's 17. Look at his glorious beard:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lwoOadh9m6M

qnqnx
Nov 14, 2010

Evangelicals are a goddamn plague

joepinetree
Apr 5, 2012
Former president of PP mentioned FHC, Aecio, and Nardes in his recent deposition. Nardes is significant because he is the president of the TCU, which rejected Dilma's accounts and led to the current impeachment proceedings.

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

qnqnx posted:

You're welcome :911:

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Sephyr posted:

Ohh, there's been tension, just like there has been class and racial tension, but never actual knives coming out. Or segregated neighborhoods, people being asked if they are catholic or protestant and beaten, etc.

In fact, you could argue that our systems are oppression are effective precisely because they tend to be subtle and frictionless most of the time. When they become overt, they tend to fail.

There are people who are literally pelted with stones because of their religion. They are the umbanda followers.

Sephyr
Aug 28, 2012

There are people who are literally pelted with stones because of their religion. They are the umbanda followers.

Yes. And a black kid in my class at a very upscale Sao Paulo high school was spat upon by parents during the school celebration day. The poor guy was so used to it he didn't even get mad, just shrugged and went to the bathroom to try and wash his uniform.

I'm not saying the prejudice and hostility aren't there. Just that we never had institutionalized, overt divisions. We didn't have laws mandating separate schools and water fountains; just owners telling security guards that certain people are 'not welcome', not members, potentially dangerous, etc. The last time a separate minority was ofically crushed by the majority institutions instead of being ignored and quietly sidelined was the Canudos village.

Throwing rocks at umbanda practicioners, middle-class kids breaking fluorescent lightbulbs on gay people along my dear Paulista Avenue are just the natural, organic hiccups of privilege being its spacious self. Perhaps the closest thing we have to institutional aggression that is harnessed and divisive on purpose is prejudice against northeastern migrants, which echoes pretty much all of the Us tirades against immigrants: they come to take our jerbs, they are ignorant, dirty and diseased, they are outbreeding us and all on welfare, etc.

Crowsbeak
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth
Lipstick Apathy

qnqnx posted:

Well the office of the Inqusition sill exists.

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich

Sephyr posted:

I'm not saying the prejudice and hostility aren't there. Just that we never had institutionalized, overt divisions. We didn't have laws mandating separate schools and water fountains; just owners telling security guards that certain people are 'not welcome', not members, potentially dangerous, etc. The last time a separate minority was ofically crushed by the majority institutions instead of being ignored and quietly sidelined was the Canudos village.

What about slavery?

nerdz
Oct 12, 2004

Complex, statistically improbable things are by their nature more difficult to explain than simple, statistically probable things.
Grimey Drawer

My Imaginary GF posted:

What about slavery?

Slavery was pretty bad and it's probably the biggest inequality issue in Brazil that some people really want to ignore. It's still extremely recent (128 years! some people almost lived this much). After working for generations for rich plantation owners, slaves were simply "set free" as if that was enough reparation for the centuries of work. They were just sent to the streets with zero money or education. Some of them just went back to work to their previous owners with their entire salary going towards their living costs, so the exact same poo poo. To make things worse, plantation owners started tricking Italians and other europeans to come here and take the place of the slaves which probably diluted the workforce even more.

If you think about how recent this is, it's pretty obvious to see that many, many white people are paying their children's school and college costs with slave money from their great grandparents. Not to mention the real estate and land that was passed from generation to generation with exponential valuation. There's a way bigger chance of white people being born into money and black people into poverty.

And people will tell you racial quotas are racist because black people are just as good as white people. Whenever I discuss it with other people I show them that it's as much an economic issue as it's a social one, and it mostly works, surprisingly enough.

Sephyr
Aug 28, 2012
Slavery was abolished before Canudos. In fact, many of the town's people were abandoned former slaves with no prospects or hope, those too old or weak to sell their labor for peanuts.

nerdz
Oct 12, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Sephyr posted:

Slavery was abolished before Canudos. In fact, many of the town's people were abandoned former slaves with no prospects or hope, those too old or weak to sell their labor for peanuts.

A sorta similar event to canudos and even more directly related to slavery was Quilombo dos Palmares, a community of tens of thousands of escaped slaves that lived freely and resisted for almost a century before being conquered by the portuguese. They even did business with nearby settlers. It was probably one of the biggest examples of slave resistance in all of the new world history.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Palmares_(quilombo)

Some of these communities formed by escaped slaves survived and still exist.

Sephyr
Aug 28, 2012

nerdz posted:

A sorta similar event to canudos and even more directly related to slavery was Quilombo dos Palmares, a community of tens of thousands of escaped slaves that lived freely and resisted for almost a century before being conquered by the portuguese. They even did business with nearby settlers. It was probably one of the biggest examples of slave resistance in all of the new world history.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Palmares_(quilombo)

Some of these communities formed by escaped slaves survived and still exist.

Yup, and the usual suspects here are hell bent on rewriting the books and say that Palmares and other Quilombos were havens for rapists and criminals, that they themselves had slaves, etc. Now, some people did idealize life in the escaped slave communities a bit too much, but the vile glee the reactionaries have making GBS threads on anything that doesn't fit their Just World delusions is...troubling.

nerdz
Oct 12, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Sephyr posted:

Yup, and the usual suspects here are hell bent on rewriting the books and say that Palmares and other Quilombos were havens for rapists and criminals, that they themselves had slaves, etc. Now, some people did idealize life in the escaped slave communities a bit too much, but the vile glee the reactionaries have making GBS threads on anything that doesn't fit their Just World delusions is...troubling.

Yeah, the history here is pretty drat unreliable. One fact is that men were way more likely to escape than women, so there was a real unbalance between genders on quilombos. So the speculated results go all the way from "they were basically comfort women that preferred rape than slavery" to "the women used their scarcity to rule like a matriarchy"

Markovnikov
Nov 6, 2010
At least they survived, instead of like in Argentina where they just disappeared. (We probably killed them somehow, the one I've often heard is that we suicided them in batallions during the Paraguay war, which is a clusterfuck in and of itself).

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich

nerdz posted:

Yeah, the history here is pretty drat unreliable. One fact is that men were way more likely to escape than women, so there was a real unbalance between genders on quilombos. So the speculated results go all the way from "they were basically comfort women that preferred rape than slavery" to "the women used their scarcity to rule like a matriarchy"

Why not just look at what emerged in Congo during the 40's, 50's, and 60's with mass male migration from a hodgepodge of tribal groups to urban areas as a result of escape from forced labor camps?

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

My Imaginary GF posted:

Why not just look at what emerged in Congo during the 40's, 50's, and 60's with mass male migration from a hodgepodge of tribal groups to urban areas as a result of escape from forced labor camps?

Around what time period do you think quilombos existed, MIGF?

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich

Badger of Basra posted:

Around what time period do you think quilombos existed, MIGF?

Sometime between independence and the abolition of slavery? I don't read much South American social histories; I prefer more objective histories like Marcelo Bucheli's absolutely wonderful Bananas and Business: The United Fruit Company in Colombia, 1899-2000, which discards the conventions of all those bullshit "marxist" rhetorics that had come before and focuses on laying out raw facts, figures, correspondences, and board minutes to allow the reader to build their own narrative.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Frionnel
May 7, 2010

Friends are what make testing worth it.

My Imaginary GF posted:

Sometime between independence and the abolition of slavery? I don't read much South American social histories; I prefer more objective histories like Marcelo Bucheli's absolutely wonderful Bananas and Business: The United Fruit Company in Colombia, 1899-2000, which discards the conventions of all those bullshit "marxist" rhetorics that had come before and focuses on laying out raw facts, figures, correspondences, and board minutes to allow the reader to build their own narrative.

Sometimes you're funny.