Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Venom Snake
Feb 19, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo

zoux posted:

Where do you think upper middle class white kids live now

i adjusted my post accordingly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Perfectly Safe
May 30, 2003

no danger here.

Montasque posted:

The administration failed to create a safe space by not addressing the "Trump: 2016" chalkings.

They are now reviewing security camera footage to track down and possibly punish the chalker(s).

Ok, it just seems to be a story of students overreacting to something that they don't like. Which is fine. I mean, it's stupid, but one's perceptions and sense of scale as a student tend to be fairly raw. I just didn't get why it's a news story, but I didn't realise that it was actually from the local/university rag.

Worth it anyway for this picture, with the caption "University President James W. Wagner listens to students."

Poor bastard. Look at that face.

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Lol safe spaces hurr what kind of out of touch lamer would need that

*white supremacist group opens a Trump supporter space space hotline*

emdash
Oct 19, 2003

and?
http://talkingpointsmemo.com/livewire/romney-trump-foreign-born-wives

""Donald Trump has had several foreign wives,” Romney reportedly joked at the National Republican Congressional Committee’s annual dinner. “It turns out that there really are jobs Americans won’t do.”

heh

Montasque
Jul 18, 2003

Living in a hateful world sending me straight to Heaven
What makes it news is that the Emory College are investigating the chalkings and may punish the student(s).

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

"Ah," Ratz had said, at last, "the artiste."

Peachstapler posted:

This whole Ryan speech is a fantastic argument for Congress to do their loving jobs.

SNAKES N CAKES posted:

He's arguing against mandatory minimums now, so he's surely not preparing for a Presidential run.

It would be pretty crazy if, somehow, confronted with the horror of all that his party has wrought in the form of Trump, the man who required his staff to read Atlas Shrugged inadvertently found a conscience.

I mean it's unlikely and this just sounds like a way he's trying to undo the damage to the GOP too little too late, but I'd like.to believe there is good in everyone, even Paul Ryan :shobon:

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

The shiva has been going on for five days. The family mourns their dearly departed patriach, his wife still starch white and clinging to her daughters. The silence hangs like a shroud except for polite coughing, and a few stifled sobs.

The sound of approaching speeding steps interrupt. The mourners turn to see the wooden door explode inwards in a shower of splinters as a man sprints inside, overturning the line of candles and slapping the widow off her stool.

*Wipes brow and pcp sweat*

"Jeb's a mess!"

Bernice Anders
Feb 26, 2016

by zen death robot

Perfectly Safe posted:

Ok, it just seems to be a story of students overreacting to something that they don't like. Which is fine. I mean, it's stupid, but one's perceptions and sense of scale as a student tend to be fairly raw. I just didn't get why it's a news story, but I didn't realise that it was actually from the local/university rag.

Worth it anyway for this picture, with the caption "University President James W. Wagner listens to students."

Poor bastard. Look at that face.

You can tell he just wants to shoot those retards.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Montasque posted:

What makes it news is that the Emory College are investigating the chalkings and may punish the student(s).

Er, for what?

I mean it's been 15 years since I was in college but back then we chalked political messages all the time.

Bernice Anders
Feb 26, 2016

by zen death robot

zoux posted:

Er, for what?

I mean it's been 15 years since I was in college but back then we chalked political messages all the time.

They feel unsafe!! Their feelings are hurt you monster!!

Montasque
Jul 18, 2003

zoux posted:

Er, for what?

quote:

The University will review footage “up by the hospital [from] security cameras” to identify those who made the chalkings, Wagner told the protesters. He also added that if they’re students, they will go through the conduct violation process, while if they are from outside of the University, trespassing charges will be pressed.

http://emorywheel.com/emory-students-express-discontent-with-administrative-response-to-trump-chalkings/

SpRahl
Apr 22, 2008

zoux posted:

Er, for what?

I think thats what Montasque means by that making it news worthy, there's nothing to really punish. hell its pretty inoffensive considering what usually comes out them mouths of Trump supporters, from what I gather someone just chalked a bunch of "trump 2016" signs around campus.

Oiled and Ready
Oct 11, 2004

He wished it could be as respectable and orthodox as spying. But somehow in his hands the traditional tools and attitudes were always employed toward mean ends: cloak for a laundry sack, dagger to peel potatoes, dossiers to fill up dead Sunday afternoons ...

zoux posted:

Er, for what?

Trump 2016 isn't a POLITICAL MESSAGE you inexorable racist. It's virulent hatespeech and is as bad as chalking swastikas outside of the Jewish fraternity.

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007
dueling safe spaces

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

I mean Trump sucks but I think you're legally allowed to support him.

Bernice Anders
Feb 26, 2016

by zen death robot
Look I didn't come to college to have my point of view questioned, okay?

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007

paranoid randroid posted:

dueling safe spaces

I'm a little bit Tumblr

And I'm a little bit *click* Trump!

Perfectly Safe
May 30, 2003

no danger here.

zoux posted:

Well yeah, I mean, you're not really allowed to go around a university campus writing whatever you want on available surfaces. Obviously the university was going to let it slide because it's really minor defacement at best, but some people who are probably just a bit young and oversensitive and silly made a thing out of it, so they're taking it a bit more seriously.

Again, it's just a story about students doing studenty things vOv

Kylra
Dec 1, 2006

Not a cute boy, just a boring girl.
Well, to be fair, I wouldn't want President Hitler 2016 scrawled all over campus either.

baw
Nov 5, 2008

RESIDENT: LAISSEZ FAIR-SNEZHNEVSKY INSTITUTE FOR FORENSIC PSYCHIATRY
college students are idiots stop the presses

Thump!
Nov 25, 2007

Look, fat, here's the fact, Kulak!

Montasque posted:

Good, hate speech should be punished more often in this country.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Perfectly Safe posted:

Well yeah, I mean, you're not really allowed to go around a university campus writing whatever you want on available surfaces. Obviously the university was going to let it slide because it's really minor defacement at best, but some people who are probably just a bit young and oversensitive and silly made a thing out of it, so they're taking it a bit more seriously.

Again, it's just a story about students doing studenty things vOv

Well old people laughed at me when I did young and oversensitive bullshit so I'm only taking my due.

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

zoux posted:

Well old people laughed at me when I did young and oversensitive bullshit so I'm only taking my due.

Stop, you're destroying the narrative that this is a new phenomenon

deathbysnusnu
Feb 25, 2016

zoux posted:

I'm really curious to see just how far being a political figure can shield him. Like if some protestor actually gets killed while he eggs the crowd on... would he get charges? I feel like if the RNC really wants to derail him, tempting him into a clear cut felony might be a plausible option.

Perfectly Safe
May 30, 2003

no danger here.

zoux posted:

Oh gosh yes, bathe in the tears.

InsanityIsCrazy
Jan 25, 2003

by Lowtax

paranoid randroid posted:

or, like, buy some chalk of your own and draw dicks all over it

this post is phallocentric, classist and problematic

probably culturally appropriating some cannibal tribe somewhere too

Montasque
Jul 18, 2003

Students being students isnt the story, the story is that the administration wants to punish someone for political speech.

I guess you COULD argue TRUMP:2016 is hate speech...

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

InsanityIsCrazy posted:

I'd appropriate the hell out of the Maori if I thought I could get away with it

Rasczak
Mar 30, 2005

Montasque posted:

Emory University: We Will Use Security Cameras to Track Down and Possibly Punish Students Who Chalked Their Support for Trump

http://emorywheel.com/emory-students-express-discontent-with-administrative-response-to-trump-chalkings/

Ahahahaha the feels

I don't know why these dumbass kids are trying to turn me into a Trump supporter, luckily it's nowhere near that easy

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Montasque posted:

Students being students isnt the story, the story is that the administration wants to punish someone for political speech.

I guess you COULD argue TRUMP:2016 is hate speech...

Well, they want to put them through the disciplinary process, maybe they assume the kids will be fine.

Fritz Coldcockin
Nov 7, 2005

deathbysnusnu posted:

I'm really curious to see just how far being a political figure can shield him. Like if some protestor actually gets killed while he eggs the crowd on... would he get charges? I feel like if the RNC really wants to derail him, tempting him into a clear cut felony might be a plausible option.

Unless he actually laid hands on the protestor they couldn't make anything stick, and yelling "Get him out of here!" while cops drag a protestor out will just make his supporters love him more.

Even if Trump DID personally beat a protestor they wouldn't care if the guy's skin was sufficiently dark.

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007

InsanityIsCrazy posted:

uh excuse me but drawing dicks on stuff is arguably the prime motivating factor for humanity

white sauce
Apr 29, 2012

by R. Guyovich
I wonder if they could have chosen more sub-human looking people for that photo of the sad students

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007
why did caesar invade gaul? to draw dicks on their stuff. why did sir edmund hillary climb everest? snowdicks.

Bernice Anders
Feb 26, 2016

by zen death robot

Thump! posted:

Good, hate speech should be punished more often in this country.

lol there are people who actually believe this

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

https://twitter.com/maxwelltani/status/712669777450385409

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo

zoux posted:

otoh facebricking trump supporters is civil disobedience in the footsteps of gandhi and mlk

Punk da Bundo
Dec 29, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
I like to tell people my age (I'm 27) I'm voting for Trump and they say"what how could you ?! He's the next Hitler!!!" then I cut them off and say jk I'm voting for Hilary relax and somehow they are still angry, What about Bernie ?! then I feel like I have to tell a 5 year old that Santa isn't real

don't argue with genuine trump supporters IRL you'll wish you were dead

Bernie supporters are going though one of the 5 stages of grief right now it's denial

Have not met 1 person who "supports " Hilary

AARP LARPer
Feb 19, 2005

THE DARK SIDE OF SCIENCE BREEDS A WEAPON OF WAR

Buglord
The more I think about this retarded nothingburger of a Paul Ryan "event" this morning, the less I understand it.

His comments boil down to "We shouldn't be so divisive," but because Ryan's such a milquetoast pansy-rear end afraid of offending someone with unambiguous language, we have no idea if his message was directed to Trump (to tone it down) or to the GOP (accept Trump if he's the nominee).

So it was a complete waste of everyone's time.

Great job, basset-hound man!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

WAR DOGS OF SOCHI posted:

The more I think about this retarded nothingburger of a Paul Ryan "event" this morning, the less I understand it.

His comments boil down to "We shouldn't be so divisive," but because Ryan's such a milquetoast pansy-rear end afraid of offending someone with unambiguous language, we have no idea if his message was directed to Trump (to tone it down) or to the GOP (accept Trump if he's the nominee).

So it was a complete waste of everyone's time.

Great job, basset-hound man!

Probably he gives speeches like this to small groups all the time but because everyone is all "WILL HE RUN/ENDORSE/CONDEMN WHAT" the media was lazer focused.

• Locked thread