Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

inscrutable horse
May 20, 2010

Parsing sage, rotating time

A small question for the thread: I'll be going to Denmark on Friday, and there's about a four-hour wait from when my plane lands until my train leaves. It's been years since I was in Copenhagen, so all my knowledge is woefully out of date. Are there any nice menswear stores within quick and easy walking distance of the central station?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hollow Talk
Feb 2, 2014

inscrutable horse posted:

A small question for the thread: I'll be going to Denmark on Friday, and there's about a four-hour wait from when my plane lands until my train leaves. It's been years since I was in Copenhagen, so all my knowledge is woefully out of date. Are there any nice menswear stores within quick and easy walking distance of the central station?

Depending on how quickly you manage to get to central station, Strøget (the main shopping street) is just around the corner, really. Go past Tivoli and across the square in front of town hall (Rådhuspladsen) and at the corner of Politiken house and Burger King, Strøget begins. Another option, depending on luggage, is to directly take the Metro from the airport to Kongens Nytorv, which is the other end of Strøget, and walk down the main shopping street towards Tivoli. Magasin du Nord and Illum are situated slightly that way anyway.

edit: It probably takes around 30 minutes or so at a regular pace to get from either end to the other on foot.

Hollow Talk fucked around with this message at 18:16 on Mar 15, 2016

inscrutable horse
May 20, 2010

I'll be "based" out of the central station, since I'll be carrying a rather large suitcase, and I want to store it for the duration (you can still do that at the station, right?)

Strøget was one of my more immediate ideas, so yeah, that one's for sure. I was hoping to avoid Magasin and Illum though; department stores usually give me head-splitting migraines because of the perfume sections :( Is there anything nice to recommend down the (immediate) side streets?

Hollow Talk
Feb 2, 2014

I'll be "based" out of the central station, since I'll be carrying a rather large suitcase, and I want to store it for the duration (you can still do that at the station, right?)

Strøget was one of my more immediate ideas, so yeah, that one's for sure. I was hoping to avoid Magasin and Illum though; department stores usually give me head-splitting migraines because of the perfume sections :( Is there anything nice to recommend down the (immediate) side streets?

I haven't been in a bit, but your best bet are probably the first bit of Vestergade (parallel to Strøget, behind Politiken) and the more general area down Købmagergade and up to Gothersgade (towards Rosenborg/Kongens Have), really, alongside some of the bigger chains on Strøget. This should be doable but I think depending on how quickly you can retrieve your luggage and how your timing with the Metro will be, you might not have oodles of time to shop around.

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Vote shit sandwich or the shit sandwich gets it!
Are there any Brits in this thread that can help me sort out a train trip?

I'm looking at traveling between Bristol and Brighton, one way, in the afternoon of Wednesday, April 13th. I'll be carrying some luggage, so I'd like to make as few train changes as possible.

Checking the National Rail website, my best bet looks like the train that leaves Bristol Temple Meads at 16.22 and arrives at Southampthon Central at 18.04; from there I'd take the 18.32 direct to Brighton, arriving at 20.18.

My most pressing question is: how on time are, on average, British trains? Here in Italy a 28-minute transfer like the one in Southampthon is a "make sure you have alternate plans ready" transfer, but our rail service is notoriously lovely. In any case, there's another Southampthon-Brighton train exactly one hour later than the one I'm planning to take, but that would mean a delay of one hour.

Anyone have any better ideas?

MagicCube
May 25, 2004

Mikl posted:

Are there any Brits in this thread that can help me sort out a train trip?

I'm looking at traveling between Bristol and Brighton, one way, in the afternoon of Wednesday, April 13th. I'll be carrying some luggage, so I'd like to make as few train changes as possible.

Checking the National Rail website, my best bet looks like the train that leaves Bristol Temple Meads at 16.22 and arrives at Southampthon Central at 18.04; from there I'd take the 18.32 direct to Brighton, arriving at 20.18.

My most pressing question is: how on time are, on average, British trains? Here in Italy a 28-minute transfer like the one in Southampthon is a "make sure you have alternate plans ready" transfer, but our rail service is notoriously lovely. In any case, there's another Southampthon-Brighton train exactly one hour later than the one I'm planning to take, but that would mean a delay of one hour.

Anyone have any better ideas?

That should be no problem. I did over a month of travelling around the UK and was on the train pretty much every second day and didn't have a single problem. I think the on-time percentage was between 85 to 90% nationwide. Definitely better than Italian trains. My quintessential Italian train experience was seeing a departure board in Florence with every single train delayed.

Also, I just looked it up and if you don't mind leaving earlier there is a direct train from Bristol to Brighton that leaves at 12:22. Whatever you choose though will be fine with British trains.

Waci
May 30, 2011

A boy and his dog.
A ticket without a reserved seat is generally valid for any train for that route in that class, with possible restrictions for peak times (off-peak only tickets are cheaper than any time tickets), and for some of the fastest trains. If you buy a ticket for the 18.32 train from Southampton Central to Brighton but miss it, the same ticket will be valid on the 19.32 train.

Waci fucked around with this message at 20:51 on Mar 17, 2016

inscrutable horse
May 20, 2010

Hollow Talk posted:

I haven't been in a bit, but your best bet are probably the first bit of Vestergade (parallel to Strøget, behind Politiken) and the more general area down Købmagergade and up to Gothersgade (towards Rosenborg/Kongens Have), really, alongside some of the bigger chains on Strøget. This should be doable but I think depending on how quickly you can retrieve your luggage and how your timing with the Metro will be, you might not have oodles of time to shop around.

Thanks for the help, but it seems like I've managed to catch the mother of all sore throats, so I'll most likely be spending my time in a café, pitying myself and feeling miserable :zombie:

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Vote shit sandwich or the shit sandwich gets it!

MagicCube posted:

That should be no problem. I did over a month of travelling around the UK and was on the train pretty much every second day and didn't have a single problem. I think the on-time percentage was between 85 to 90% nationwide. Definitely better than Italian trains. My quintessential Italian train experience was seeing a departure board in Florence with every single train delayed.

Also, I just looked it up and if you don't mind leaving earlier there is a direct train from Bristol to Brighton that leaves at 12:22. Whatever you choose though will be fine with British trains.

Waci posted:

A ticket without a reserved seat is generally valid for any train for that route in that class, with possible restrictions for peak times (off-peak only tickets are cheaper than any time tickets), and for some of the fastest trains. If you buy a ticket for the 18.32 train from Southampton Central to Brighton but miss it, the same ticket will be valid on the 19.32 train.

Thanks! I probably won't be able to make the 12.22 train, since the trip is me attaching a two-day holiday to the end of a business trip and I don't know the timetable for that day. The time I was planning to leave (16.22) is the earliest I'm sure I can make the train, but I think I might be able to take an earlier one, depending if the meeting goes into overtime or not. Checking the website, there's literally one train every hour that will get me to Brighton.

Thanks again!

Rodenthar Drothman
May 14, 2013

I think I will continue
watching this twilight world
as long as time flows.
So, flights are booked to Istanbul and Croatia. Thank god I'm not staying in Zagreb, because that goon's stories are terrifying.

I'll be in Beyoglu for 4.5ish days, walking distance to Taksim - also airbnbing. I'm really looking forward to the street food, and will definitely go to a bunch of mosques and walk the walls a lot.

Then I'll be in Split for a few days after camp, will rent a car to go to Plitvice Lakes (the buses from Split to Plitvice run on a lovely schedule), then to Bosnia to Kravica Falls and the Dervish Monastery. THEN, back to croatia for a few lazy days on Hvar (wish I had more time to spend in Bosnia, but it's either more time in Bosnia with a rented car or relax on an island on the Mediterranean coast). Does that sound like a crazy schedule? It sounds kinda jam-packed to me, but then I look at the distances between the places on Google maps and think, "poo poo, I drive more for work sometimes."

Question about Hvar - anyone with knowledge of the area, where do you suggest I stay? Should I stay in Strari Grad, go inland a bit, something else? Is there anything on the island that is must-see?

Hollow Talk
Feb 2, 2014

Thanks for the help, but it seems like I've managed to catch the mother of all sore throats, so I'll most likely be spending my time in a café, pitying myself and feeling miserable :zombie:

To be fair, that would have been my choice either way given the amount of time you have to spend! ;)

Get well soon!

Doctor Malaver
May 23, 2007

Ce qui s'est passé t'a rendu plus fort

Rodenthar Drothman posted:

So, flights are booked to Istanbul and Croatia. Thank god I'm not staying in Zagreb, because that goon's stories are terrifying.

I'll be in Beyoglu for 4.5ish days, walking distance to Taksim - also airbnbing. I'm really looking forward to the street food, and will definitely go to a bunch of mosques and walk the walls a lot.

Then I'll be in Split for a few days after camp, will rent a car to go to Plitvice Lakes (the buses from Split to Plitvice run on a lovely schedule), then to Bosnia to Kravica Falls and the Dervish Monastery. THEN, back to croatia for a few lazy days on Hvar (wish I had more time to spend in Bosnia, but it's either more time in Bosnia with a rented car or relax on an island on the Mediterranean coast). Does that sound like a crazy schedule? It sounds kinda jam-packed to me, but then I look at the distances between the places on Google maps and think, "poo poo, I drive more for work sometimes."

Question about Hvar - anyone with knowledge of the area, where do you suggest I stay? Should I stay in Strari Grad, go inland a bit, something else? Is there anything on the island that is must-see?

It's good that you won't spend much time in Zagreb, although not for that reason. :P

Stay in Hvar proper. It's bigger and more interesting than other towns on the island. You can rent a bike or a scooter or something and go discovering the island if you have extra time. The Hektorovic mansion in Stari Grad is very nice. As a geologist you might be interested in seeing the Blue Cave (it's on Vis which is another island, but there are boat trips there from Hvar in the tourist season) or the Red Rocks. Not that you have to be a geologist to enjoy those... I swam in the Blue Cave last summer and it was great if a little crowded.

Rodenthar Drothman
May 14, 2013

I think I will continue
as long as time flows.

Doctor Malaver posted:

It's good that you won't spend much time in Zagreb, although not for that reason. :P

Stay in Hvar proper. It's bigger and more interesting than other towns on the island. You can rent a bike or a scooter or something and go discovering the island if you have extra time. The Hektorovic mansion in Stari Grad is very nice. As a geologist you might be interested in seeing the Blue Cave (it's on Vis which is another island, but there are boat trips there from Hvar in the tourist season) or the Red Rocks. Not that you have to be a geologist to enjoy those... I swam in the Blue Cave last summer and it was great if a little crowded.

Sweeeet, added to the list. Thanks!

Falukorv
Jun 23, 2013

A funny little mouse!
I'm changing flights in Brussels ( 1 hour layover) this summer, should I worry?

Doctor Malaver
May 23, 2007

Fortunately you weren't changing flights this morning.

Saladman
Jan 12, 2010
Only if flying through NYC or going to London or Paris or Madrid gives you worries, that terrorist attacks have occurred in the past in these locations.

Security will be back to its regular rhythm in a few days after the heightened alert passes. I'm flying right now through Germany and my only question ar security was a guy asking me to pronounce "kitchen drawer" in German (it's a Swiss German shibboleth)

Edit: I did get checked by -eight- levels of security at the Tunis airport today though, which even by Arab over-employment standards was a lot. I got checked going in to the gate seating area (after security and duty free), then again entering the gangway (as normal) and then again in the middle of the gangway (??) and then again at the plane door (?!). Only went through 2 scanners and one bomb swab in 45 minutes. Normally it's just one scanner and no bomb swab.

Saladman fucked around with this message at 16:47 on Mar 22, 2016

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane
If you puss out of going on vacation because of something like this, you're letting the terrorists dictate your behaviour, which is exactly their goal.

That being said, should I check the dates I've booked hotels for to see if rates go down in the near future? All of my reservations have free cancellation.

Rodenthar Drothman
May 14, 2013

I think I will continue
as long as time flows.

PT6A posted:

If you puss out of going on vacation because of something like this, you're letting the terrorists dictate your behaviour, which is exactly their goal.

That being said, should I check the dates I've booked hotels for to see if rates go down in the near future? All of my reservations have free cancellation.

Yes and yes.

I'm dealing with my parents right now who said we need to sit down and "have a serious talk" about the few days I will be spending in Istanbul.

I mean, no, don't do anything stupid, and don't stand in super crowded places at peak hours for a long time if you don't have to. But terrorism is kind of like the reverse Lottery. Either you get super super unlucky, or everything is normal.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane
Related: what are the chances this will cause a decline in the Euro? Everything that's not pre-paid is denominated in Euros, so a drop in that relative to the Canadian Dollar would help me out too (not that I can really do anything about it one way or the other).

Saladman
Jan 12, 2010

PT6A posted:

You can try but unless your booking is for the immediate future then it's not going to change. It's only when lightning strikes in the same place multiple times in a short interval that prices really start to drop (see: Tunisia after Bardo vs after Sousse). I bet Ankara is a lot cheaper now and i bet istanbul will be soon too. Haven't noticed prices dropping yet though. Marrakech didn't really change after the market bombing there either.

This won't affect the Euro. Sorry Canada and Australia, your currency is still Monopoly money. (Charlie hebdo and the other attacks made no striking economic impact)

On that topic Tunisia is so nice now without many tourists. No one bothers you on the street and haggling is like easy mode to get the best possible price for something.

Saladman fucked around with this message at 22:49 on Mar 22, 2016

Entropist
Dec 1, 2007
I'm very stupid.
As I experienced in Paris it has its advantages to go on holiday somewhere right after a terrorist attack (I was there during the Charlie Hebdo stuff). Places are much more quiet, no lines, and the hotel rates probably go down. There was not that much disruption to transportation and such. I guess it might be different if you're a brown-looking person though.

Saladman
Jan 12, 2010
Tourism and Travel: The How Can I Benefit Financially From a Terrorist Attack? Edition

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005
When we went on vacation in Japan 6 months after the tsunami literally like everyone my husband and I told except my mom who's a scientist were like "OH MY GOD YOURE GOING TO DIE OF RADIATION!!!"

I'd always tell them if a week in Tokyo six months after the tsunami was going to kill us, the planet has much bigger issues than our holiday.

Flying immediately after terror attacks sucks though, I was flying back from Australia to North America like 2 days after that foiled plot to blow up a bunch of planes leaving Heathrow and there were soooooo many extra layers of security it was an extra 2 hours or so of standing around waiting for yet another person to check my bags a third time.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Saladman posted:

Tourism and Travel: The How Can I Benefit Financially From a Terrorist Attack? Edition

While I agree it's a little distasteful, I'd hate to leave money lying on the table just because a bad thing happened. The money I save on hotels (mainly giant multinational chains) will be ploughed back into local restaurants, bars and estancos.

Struensee
Nov 9, 2011
Anyone have last minute tips on Prague?

Doctor Malaver
May 23, 2007

Rodenthar Drothman posted:

don't stand in super crowded places at peak hours for a long time if you don't have to.

Even this kind of thinking is unnecessary and might preoccupy you without adding to your security. I think only one bombing this year fit this scenario.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Saladman posted:

Just saw some super cheap tickets to Istanbul, this seems to be working!

Struensee posted:

How much time do you have, are you looking for touristy stuff or what? I'm here so just let me know if you have a specific questions or want to get a beer or something

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer

Struensee posted:

Go to kutna hora

Falukorv
Jun 23, 2013

A funny little mouse!
I wasn't ever gonna change flights over this, I kinda needed some reassurance that's all. I'm a nervous flyer, the news made me a little anxious.

Hollow Talk
Feb 2, 2014

Falukorv posted:

I wasn't ever gonna change flights over this, I kinda needed some reassurance that's all. I'm a nervous flyer, the news made me a little anxious.

Realistically, during a changeover, you will be in the restricted access areas of the airport, while yesterday's attack happened in the public area. In order to get anything approaching a bomb near you, they would have to get it through security, which seems unlikely (cf. Stade de France). So even if something were to happen while you are there (which it almost assuredly will not), you would already be in a safer place deeper inside the airport.

Saladman
Jan 12, 2010

Falukorv posted:

I'd be a lot more worried about your one hour layover, if that means exactly 60 minutes anyway (unless you're not going through customs and changing terminals either arriving or departing?). 90 minute layovers are about the minimum for being pretty much assured to make your flight for international transfers.

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer
I was in Europe Last November and the border control was going through serious lock down. Every non Schengen passport interrogated, itinerary checked and double checked. Luckily I had a print out ready so customs wouldn't be asking me so many questions.

Even taking the bus from Prague to Nuremberg got stopped by the border. AKA looking for brown people.

This is like post 9/11 again, cities are on high alert and going through strong racial profiling

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

We went on a school trip to London in the week from September 17th, 2001. There's some timing. (Actually I remember things being relatively normal, factoring in of course that it was my first visit to London or any proper metropolis. Did spot police with machine guns so there was that.)

And now I'm going again in May. Just for a weekend and I have something of a gameplan, but we're also spending a few days before in Inverness cause my girlfriend wants to see the highlands. Anything I shouldn't miss while I'm in Scotland and Inverness in particular?

Rodenthar Drothman
May 14, 2013

I think I will continue
as long as time flows.

mobby_6kl posted:

Just saw some super cheap tickets to Istanbul, this seems to be working!

How much time do you have, are you looking for touristy stuff or what? I'm here so just let me know if you have a specific questions or want to get a beer or something

Not sure how much it played into it, I bought a ticket to istanbul on Turkish airlines last week for a little cheaper than I'm seeing now. The super cheap flights are aeroflot or air canada, and I don't particularly want to fly those two airlines all the way to istanbul.

Saladman
Jan 12, 2010

caberham posted:

I was in Europe Last November and the border control was going through serious lock down. Every non Schengen passport interrogated, itinerary checked and double checked. Luckily I had a print out ready so customs wouldn't be asking me so many questions.

Even taking the bus from Prague to Nuremberg got stopped by the border. AKA looking for brown people.

This is like post 9/11 again, cities are on high alert and going through strong racial profiling

Are you non-white? I don't think I've ever been asked more than one question entering into Europe, and I've flown in from outside Schengen probably around 50 times. I have a Schengen residence permit, though (and US passport). The most trouble I ever had was crossing into Liechtenstein—of all places—in a rental when I did not have my passport on me and did not realize Liechtenstein did not join Schengen at the same time as Switzerland.

Edit: The border guard let me through with a warning that "this is illegal; you're supposed to have your passport to cross this border." But boy was it a stern finger wag!

Saladman fucked around with this message at 19:40 on Mar 23, 2016

Struensee
Nov 9, 2011

mobby_6kl posted:

We're going thursday-sunday. Mostly going to see the sights. Don't think we have time for much else. Suggestions for places to get good, reasonably priced preferably local cuisine would be very welcome. I'm not 100% that I can convince the GF to grab a beer with someone we don't know, but I'll let you know if I manage. Are there any good dive bars you can reccommend?

caberham posted:

Go to kutna hora

This looks great!

MagicCube
May 25, 2004

My Lovely Horse posted:

And now I'm going again in May. Just for a weekend and I have something of a gameplan, but we're also spending a few days before in Inverness cause my girlfriend wants to see the highlands. Anything I shouldn't miss while I'm in Scotland and Inverness in particular?

Is there anything in particular you want to see in Inverness? I thought it was rather dull and saw everything in a couple of hours on my way to Aberdeen. Might not be too bad as a jumping off point if you have a car though.

I took the West Highland Line from Glasgow to Fort William and it was genuinely the best train trip I've ever been on. Amazing scenery and at times feels like you're on a different planet. Fort William is the location of Ben Nevis for hikers (May weather is still iffy up there though), there's Loch Ness/Urquhart Castle, and even Cairngorns National Park for starters in the Highlands within reasonable distance from Inverness.

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer

Struensee posted:

We're going thursday-sunday. Mostly going to see the sights. Don't think we have time for much else. Suggestions for places to get good, reasonably priced preferably local cuisine would be very welcome. I'm not 100% that I can convince the GF to grab a beer with someone we don't know, but I'll let you know if I manage. Are there any good dive bars you can reccommend?

This looks great!

There's that restaurant next to the Abbey which is slightly edge of the tourist town and serves great Czech food and beer. Better than the places I have been in Downtown. City centre is priced higher than usual but as a tourist I don't think you will actually feel the pinch or be inclined to travel out each time.

As for having a beer with strangers it's your call. I never elaborate on SA and just say friend of friends. Then again, I'm weird and my girlfriend knows I'm weird and go to SA to meet up with internet strangers all across the world. Most goons who don't live in America are pretty chill. Oh and it's kind of easy to spot they are a mile away

Shoutout to Dutch Goons

Struensee
Nov 9, 2011
mobby_6kl you haven't got PMs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hashtag Banterzone
Dec 8, 2005

Lifetime Winner of the willkill4food Honorary Bad Posting Award in PWM
Finalized my Spain itinerary. Madrid - Valencia - Barcelona - Seville - Granada - Madrid in 15 days. Hope it's not too much jumping around. I'm cutting down on my travel time by flying from Barcelona to Seville. All together I think its 13.5 hours of travel plus the time to get to the stations and go through security, which doesn't seem that bad, but we will see.