Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Dark Project
Jun 25, 2007

Give it to me straight...
Placed an order with the dudes who make the STALKER boardgame for a set of the miniatures, two patches and a set of dog tags. Looking forward to receiving them, and possibly buying more patches in the future.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

baromodo
Nov 14, 2012

Missing Name posted:

My housemate and I cloudreamed a movie adaptation of Roadside Picnic while we stalled on homework.

Nice, I'd like to see some more stuff adapted from this book, it's one of my all-time favourites. I think I'd leave out the narration though, more mystery that way. It should basically be as impenetrable as Lynch's Dune to people who haven't read the book ;)

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

I just finished reading Roadside Picnic two days ago. Heck of a book. Not sure how you'd show Redrick's roiling internal dialog at the end, though it may not be "important" to give the effect you'd want. I also don't see an audience sitting through some of the philosophical discussions midway. As a suspense-driven movie, though, I could see it.

I think one thing a cinematic version would have going for it, is that the special effects don't need to be super extravagant. A lot of things that are Zone-related can described through how the actor behaves. The grinder scene at the end, Redrick doesn't watch much of it, so you wouldn't have to CGI-up the thing, just have some really awful sound effects, a shoe flying off, and meaningful shots of the piles of matter just before Arthur gets grabbed.

I'll have to a) actually finish a game of Stalker someday, and b) watch the original movie.

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house
Stalker comes remarkably close to the feel of that, as it's a very suspenseful movie, even if very little "spooky stuff" actually happens in the Zone proper.

There's one major thing that happens and it's quite clever how it's done. It's also very, very low-key and naturalistic.

MadBimber
Dec 31, 2006
Didn't the initial run have special effects for artifacts/anomalies, but when all the footage was ruined and had to be reshot they didn't have the money for it?

staberind
Feb 20, 2008

but i dont wanna be a spaceship
Fun Shoe
Yeah, they processed colour film with black and white film chemicals, ruining the stock.

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house
The production for that film was pretty hosed up. Not only did they completely ruin everything at least once, there's probably good evidence that a significant proportion of the cast/crew ended up being poisoned by where they were filming and it may have actually killed Tarkovsky.

"We were shooting near Tallinn in the area around the small river Jägala with a half-functioning hydroelectric station. Up the river was a chemical plant and it poured out poisonous liquids downstream. There is even this shot in Stalker: snow falling in the summer and white foam floating down the river. In fact it was some horrible poison. Many women in our crew got allergic reactions on their faces. Tarkovsky died from cancer of the right bronchial tube. And Tolya Solonitsyn too. That it was all connected to the location shooting for Stalker became clear to me when Larisa Tarkovskaya died from the same illness in Paris"

:smith:

Rush Limbo fucked around with this message at 06:47 on Mar 25, 2016

Erwin the German
May 30, 2011

:3
Is there any sort of addon for Call of Chernobyl that reduces spawn rates? I'm getting pretty sick of having my Iron Man runs cut short because of bandits spawning right on top of me.

AugmentedVision
Feb 17, 2011

by exmarx

v1ld posted:

Download and apply the 1.0006 downgrader patch from here: https://mega.co.nz/#F!M4BmDRCL!vfze70GSJDyv-HzWn7Dwww

Also download and save copies of the other downgraders (1.0004, etc). They're the best way to move around versions for the mods you're being not ironic about.

Hey guys, thanks for the help with SoC, just finished it fun game. I'm messing with Clear Sky now and once again would like to get rid of the forced FPS cap. There's only one version of the CS binaries in that download, it's the current version and already has the forced FPS cap, does anyone know where to get a downgrader that takes CS below 1.5.10?

SocketWrench
Jul 8, 2012

by Fritz the Horse

Ddraig posted:

Oblivion Lost Remake is probably what you're after

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RRr-UUpnPaM

It's basically a properly recreated alpha.

3.0 is coming out some time and is going to have a proper english translation.

I dunno how to feel about that. I guess I'm just one of those stupid people. I enjoyed the old OL like 2.3 and all. 3.0 just felt too overwhelming, stupid, broken, and aggravating. So doing a remake in the same vein doesn't sound too great to me.

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house
Oblivion Lost Remake is nothing to do with Oblivion Lost the AMK variant.

Oblivion Lost Remake is an attempt to recreate the alpha version of Stalker, in such a manner that Lost Alpha never achieved.

Lost Alpha is essentially just a modern stalker game with alpha elements crowbarred in, whereas Oblivion Lost Remake wants to literally recreate the alpha even down to the somewhat dated/stylized lighting system.

Here's a russian LP of it:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CdkB8MY4-6w

e: And a Russian video review of it:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IUUeknPm-A4

Rush Limbo fucked around with this message at 10:03 on Mar 27, 2016

AugmentedVision
Feb 17, 2011

by exmarx
Another question regarding the series in general: I'm playing the Russian versions, is there anything I should watch out for regarding mod compatibility? Everything I've used so far (I've tried Clear Sky Complete and SRP in vain hope that they would somehow unlock the framerate) seems to work just fine with the Russian version, which is very surprising since those mods affect quests and seem to be written by English-speaking teams? When am I going to run into problems if ever? Still my main concern is unlocking the framerate, I really don't want to start Clear Sky until I can figure that out.

nexus6
Sep 2, 2011

If only you could see what I've seen with your eyes
I've not played in a while, does OGSE have a translation yet and does CoC have anything to do?

Sparkyhodgo
Jun 21, 2003
Long potato

nexus6 posted:

I've not played in a while, does OGSE have a translation yet and does CoC have anything to do?

Not quite Oh wait yes they do http://www.moddb.com/mods/old-good-stalker-evolution/downloads, and the only limit is your imagination :nyan:

Sparkyhodgo fucked around with this message at 03:19 on Mar 30, 2016

Ahundredbux
Oct 25, 2007

The right to bear arms
Is there a mod to make night vision less annoying in CoP ? :cry:

tight aspirations
Jul 13, 2009

Sparkyhodgo posted:

Not quite Oh wait yes they do http://www.moddb.com/mods/old-good-stalker-evolution/downloads, and the only limit is your imagination :nyan:

Oooo, nice. Could do with a bit more Stalker. Is there a torrent anywhere?

e: https://cloud.mail.ru/public/JtB6/AnfubjaTq

tight aspirations fucked around with this message at 21:38 on Mar 30, 2016

AugmentedVision
Feb 17, 2011

by exmarx
Did anyone else spend 2 hours trying to climb stuff around the NPP in Clear Sky thinking "surely that crap you get from just sniping Strelok a handful of times without any resistance can't be the real ending? There's a whole level to explore!"

Apparently if you run out of time you're supposed to die but I guess the scripting broke? I had free reign to run around indefinitely and Strelok was in an unreachable place. On a positive note, that was the only major bug I encountered and it happened after I finished the game! I was playing Vanilla.

AugmentedVision fucked around with this message at 01:14 on Apr 11, 2016

argus tuft
Oct 7, 2007
Frankly, sir, we in the Police Force are just plain baffled
I've been playing around in Call of Chernobyl, and other than a few random crashes to the desktop (usually with an out of memory error when moving to truck cemetery) its been a pretty bug free experience.

Now however, I've got 2 missions that I can't finish, although I've completed the objectives, as the relevant dialogue option never appears. The first is 'gather 15 rodent meat' for the trader in the freedom camp, the other is a conquer territory one for Lukash.

Is there a way to force the relevant dialogue options to appear?

drguildo
Apr 27, 2013

LISTEN TO THE CROWD ROAR IN ADMIRATION!
Okay so I'm playing Clear Sky with the Complete mod installed figuring it'd fix any problems and general bullshit difficulty type things. I'm at the second stage of the Father Walerian mission where you have to clear out an area occupied by some army people (not the factory area but the, what looks like, farm area). Apparently you're meant to storm the place with a bunch of other stalkers which makes sense because the army guys are way, way, way too powerful for you to take on by yourself. Anyway, I don't know whether the game bugged out and made the army guys insanely powerful or what but they managed to kill off all the stalkers that are meant to help you storm the area without, seemingly, taking a single casualty.

tl;dr how the gently caress am I supposed to wipe out a building full of overpowered army guys completely by myself? I've tried a ton of times but always end up getting my rear end handed to me, most of the time without killing a single one of them. These games really don't make it easy for you to enjoy them, do they?

Elth
Jul 28, 2011

Having never played that part, I've never had an encounter in a Stalker game that couldn't be solved by the good old Shoot'n'Scoot. Hide, headshot one guy, run away, rinse and repeat. That or funneling enemies around a corner and shooting them one at a time. Was AP ammo a thing in Clear Sky? Bring plenty if so, if not then whittling them down with explosives and guerilla tactics might be your only choice.

drkeiscool
Aug 1, 2014
Soiled Meat

AugmentedVision posted:

Did anyone else spend 2 hours trying to climb stuff around the NPP in Clear Sky thinking "surely that crap you get from just sniping Strelok a handful of times without any resistance can't be the real ending? There's a whole level to explore!"

Apparently if you run out of time you're supposed to die but I guess the scripting broke? I had free reign to run around indefinitely and Strelok was in an unreachable place. On a positive note, that was the only major bug I encountered and it happened after I finished the game! I was playing Vanilla.

Yes, the emission cutscene after shooting Strelok is the end of Clear Sky.

One of the biggest disappointments from the STALKER games is that they never took advantage of having modeled the actual Chernobyl power plant: the first game has teleportation shenanigans, which is kind of understandable since the team probably didn't have time to use it for something more creative, but it's a total waste in Clear Sky where the team should have had plenty of opportunity to use the space.

SocketWrench
Jul 8, 2012

by Fritz the Horse

drguildo posted:

Okay so I'm playing Clear Sky with the Complete mod installed figuring it'd fix any problems and general bullshit difficulty type things. I'm at the second stage of the Father Walerian mission where you have to clear out an area occupied by some army people (not the factory area but the, what looks like, farm area). Apparently you're meant to storm the place with a bunch of other stalkers which makes sense because the army guys are way, way, way too powerful for you to take on by yourself. Anyway, I don't know whether the game bugged out and made the army guys insanely powerful or what but they managed to kill off all the stalkers that are meant to help you storm the area without, seemingly, taking a single casualty.

tl;dr how the gently caress am I supposed to wipe out a building full of overpowered army guys completely by myself? I've tried a ton of times but always end up getting my rear end handed to me, most of the time without killing a single one of them. These games really don't make it easy for you to enjoy them, do they?

Well, first off try to find a decent weapon to go up against them. I used to just bleed them off. Get them to chase you so you can thin them out a bit, take a few shots from one spot and move around to a new one, unseen if possible.
Your guys that are there to help you are purposely useless.

Monolith.
Jan 28, 2011

To save the world from the expanding Zone.
Is the new OGSE any good?

StabMasterArson
May 31, 2011

The Dark Project posted:

Placed an order with the dudes who make the STALKER boardgame for a set of the miniatures, two patches and a set of dog tags. Looking forward to receiving them, and possibly buying more patches in the future.

Ugh I did not know this existed and started working on a stalker Deck Building / card / board game thing a few weeks ago :(

MadBimber
Dec 31, 2006

Monolith. posted:

I tried playing it and kept crashing in cordon, so :shrug:

Klaus88
Jan 23, 2011

Violence has its own economy, therefore be thoughtful and precise in your investment
I find it hilarious how all the top addons for CoC are gun addons. :allears:

The Dark Project
Jun 25, 2007

Give it to me straight...

StabMasterArson posted:

Ugh I did not know this existed and started working on a stalker Deck Building / card / board game thing a few weeks ago :(

I received the miniatures and patches a while ago. Really really well detailed figures, if a little static in some cases. Nevertheless, absolutely awesome for what I want, and fit in perfectly with my other Infinity miniatures (I am going to proxy some of these miniatures in for Ariadna miniatures in the game). They're a smaller scale than the newer Infinity figures, which is fine with me, as I wanted ones which matched the older scale better.

Talked to the guys who make the game, and they're looking at making more for different factions. Currently you get miniatures to make either Freedom or Duty guys. I'd love for them to come out with ones for Loners, Mercs, Ecologists, Monolith etc. And also for them to release the game in English as well, which would be great because currently it's only in Russian.

I'll take a photo of what I have received and post up pics when I can. So far though, very happy with what I've got :)

The Dark Project fucked around with this message at 07:51 on Apr 24, 2016

InequalityGodzilla
May 31, 2012

Monolith. posted:

Been putting a fair bit of time into it since I wrapped up Dark Souls 3. Overall, yeah it's pretty great but holy poo poo do you need to download the patches they've made since the initial release a month or two ago. One thing that is pretty weird that I've noticed is they've added more than a few guns but I think they've also removed some as well. I'll admit I haven't reached Pripyat yet, but I've yet to see even a single .45 caliber pistol. And I've searched everywhere.

Probably the most creative addition i've seen thus far is Monolith troopers suicide bombing themselves if you injure them enough.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Klaus88 posted:

I find it hilarious how all the top addons for CoC are gun addons. :allears:

Why's that? I've got Arsenal Overhaul on there and like it. There's a lot of redundant stuff, and the AK-12 feels like it belongs more as the top gun in a Metro game than in STALKER (Maybe for Monolith?), but I love the KS-23.

I'm also not sure if it's AO or CoC, but pistols are actually useful now.

E: Is Radium still looking for programmers? I'm graduating in May and once I'm at a stopping point for a Unity project I'm working on, I'd love to get in on that. I also need to set up some JUnit test cases for an old Java program, but that hopefully won't take too much of my time.

22 Eargesplitten fucked around with this message at 22:48 on Apr 25, 2016

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Are there any updated links to some of the mods in the OP? A few lead to dead links or the mods no longer exist. I just reinstalled Call of Pripyat on my new laptop and I want to mod the poo poo out of it.

MadBimber
Dec 31, 2006
Special day today, 30 year anniversary of the event. Pour one out for a good stalker, and get out of here.

(also check out this loving fly photo journal of the place: http://imgur.com/a/TwY6q)

Swartz
Jul 28, 2005

by FactsAreUseless

22 Eargesplitten posted:

E: Is Radium still looking for programmers? I'm graduating in May and once I'm at a stopping point for a Unity project I'm working on, I'd love to get in on that. I also need to set up some JUnit test cases for an old Java program, but that hopefully won't take too much of my time.

Possibly. I'm doing alright on my own, though I've been a bit lazy lately.

You are proficient in C++ I take it?

If you do consider joining, I just want to give a heads up that some find me difficult to work with. To be frank, I can be a bit of a dick when it comes to certain things. I'm not proud of it, and I'm working hard on it, but I just want to warn you in advance.

Jo Joestar
Oct 24, 2013

drguildo posted:

I had to play through that stage fairly recently, so here's my advice. Firstly, any weapon you could find ammo for in the Swamp is going to be too weak to win a firefight against a soldier, with the exception of slug-loaded hunting shotguns (which reload to slowly to be useful). If you kept the AK-74 you started with in the Swamps, then this is the best time to pull it out. If you sold it, the AK-74/2u the soldiers carry should also work. You should be able to buy 5.45x39mm ammo from the merchants in the Cordon, and you can pick it up from soldiers. I can't remember which source I got it from, but I definitely had a supply of BP ammunition by that point, which could kill a soldier in a few shots. Soldiers might drop it, so you should loot their corpses as soon as you're able to.

Also, the AK-74 is the first gun you get that's accurate enough that you can reliably score headshots, which combined with BP ammo is enough to 1-shot soldiers.

Secondly, IIRC turning up the difficulty setting increases damage done, both by you and by your enemies. If you're taking out an entire military force by yourself you can't afford to get shot much even on the lower difficulties, so turning up the difficulty might actually make this easier for you.

Thirdly, if you have the roubles you should upgrade the armour you're wearing. The starting jacket is really bad, and any other suit you can get at the Cordon or the Swamp is going to be a big improvement.

Robot Randy
Dec 31, 2011

by Lowtax
Difficulty is weird in that it doesn't straight up increase damage, but increases the chance of a shot that connects actually damaging. I'm not sure what the values are at lower settings, but Master difficulty makes it so that when you hit or get hit there's no chance for the bullet to be shrugged off.

ThisIsJohnWayne
Feb 23, 2007
Ooo! Look at me! NO DON'T LOOK AT ME!

Just saw something in my FB feed: the newest trailer for s.t.a.l.k.e.r. in arma 3

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VIJyaj3VQSE

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Robot Randy posted:

Difficulty is weird in that it doesn't straight up increase damage, but increases the chance of a shot that connects actually damaging. I'm not sure what the values are at lower settings, but Master difficulty makes it so that when you hit or get hit there's no chance for the bullet to be shrugged off.

I remember reading on (I think) the ZRP website that that is a misunderstanding. Those chance to hit variables only apply for enemies hitting you. I think the more damage on both sides thing is true, but I could be wrong about that. Part of the problem is that the guns are so inaccurate in SoC.

You definitely need a 5.45mm weapon. If the Father Valerian mission was in vanilla, I don't remember it, but military stalkers take almost no damage from 9mm or .45 rounds.

drguildo
Apr 27, 2013

LISTEN TO THE CROWD ROAR IN ADMIRATION!
Is it normal for Clear Sky to stutter quite a bit? Is there anything that can be done about it? It's pretty annoying and kinda kills the immersion. I have an AMD Phenom II X4 955 Black Edition, 16GB of RAM and an NVIDIA GeForce GTX 660. I have a Samsung 840 PRO Series SSD. I'm also using Sky Reclamation Project.

v1ld
Apr 16, 2012

drguildo posted:

Is it normal for Clear Sky to stutter quite a bit? Is there anything that can be done about it? It's pretty annoying and kinda kills the immersion. I have an AMD Phenom II X4 955 Black Edition, 16GB of RAM and an NVIDIA GeForce GTX 660. I have a Samsung 840 PRO Series SSD. I'm also using Sky Reclamation Project.

Yes, sadly. Best looking but least optimized engine. Drop to DX9 enhanced, it's faster by far and your load times will improve immensely as a side effect and you don't lose much by doing so (volumetric smoke and wet effect shaders mainly). Drop sun rays to lowest level, but not off. Likewise SSAO, it's expensive.

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord
Whats with the EXP system in The Faction Wars for CS? Does it do anything?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Robot Randy
Dec 31, 2011

by Lowtax

Avocados posted:

Whats with the EXP system in The Faction Wars for CS? Does it do anything?

Whenever you level up you get a choice between two perks. I'm not sure how deep it goes but at level 2 or 3 I got a perk that showed all human enemies within 25m. I'm not sure if the faction you started out with has an effect on which you get