Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
How Rude
Aug 13, 2012

FUCK THIS SHIT

The Shortest Path posted:

Surrendering is a positive if you look at it from the perspective of getting the most out of your time but most people are ragey idiot fucks so you often have situations with people throwing the game out the window at 20 mins because they lost lane or dragging a game out well past the time you actually lost because a couple nerds want to win at any cost.

most often what happens to me is the game is an absolute shitshow clownfest and three people hit yes multiple loving times when the other two enjoy trolling the poo poo out of them (usually as the result of a pissy slapfight) and dragging out the game to a 40 minute loss full of raging assholery.

usually when one dude is all lovely and asks for a surrender at 20 minutes in a not one-sided game it's a 1/4 yes/no to the surrender vote immediately because it's very obvious that we have a good chance of winning.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lady Naga
Apr 25, 2008

Voyons Donc!
I don't mind when people hit no on a surrender vote but when they just sit there and stare at the button until the timer runs out it makes me irrationally upset

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Where the hell is my SWORD?
Grimey Drawer
Aurelion Sol Champ Spotlight: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HM520graePQ

God drat the whole stars visible when in brush thing basically means he can't hide in any brush ever.

Sexpansion
Mar 22, 2003

DELETED
I like having surrender as an option even if some babies occasionally surrender games they shouldn't.

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

Kashuno posted:

God drat the whole stars visible when in brush thing basically means he can't hide in any brush ever.

A majestic dragon isn't going to hide in puny green bushes!

Radical
Apr 6, 2011

i never surrender because i lust only for honorable death in combat

Fluffdaddy
Jan 3, 2009

it doesn't help that every person who makes newbie guides on youtube tells people to never surrender because you never know! Which is bullshit because being down 15 kills at 25 minutes and missing an inhib means the game is over unless you somehow manage to drag that poo poo on 40 more minutes trying to poorly backdoor.

Aerox
Jan 8, 2012
Aurelion Sol looks dope as gently caress but lol at the ganking part in the video where they're like "LOOK HOW POWERFUL AURELION SOL'S STARS ARE" because a greedy no health lucian flashes directly into one.

Lady Naga
Apr 25, 2008

Voyons Donc!
Both Sol and Jhin are cool and it's nice that Riot is finally trying to inject some personality into their game even though everyone still has incredibly overlong, mumbly lines when they move.

Xyretire
May 22, 2003
Lickin' the Gun.

Primetime posted:

It works for hots, but it helps a lot that hots has guaranteed win conditions on a lot of maps thanks to objectives. You can theoretically win a lot of maps without attacking a single tower and just abusing objectives (e.g. the temple, pirate map, etc).

With league you can just take all towers and drag a game out for 40 minutes until the enemy team gets full build and wins or your vayne gets her penta

I won a game yesterday that we had no business of winning yesterday because the enemy team's Vayne was apparently bitching at her team to not end so she could solo Baron. (She couldn't.) We lost our mid inhibitor for the first time at 29 minutes, they took two Barons after that and still didn't push in for the win (presumably because of Vayne). We eventually won at 45 minutes after we turned my getting caught (as tank Nautilus) into a solid engage for our Twitch to get a penta. This game also featured the enemy Lee Sin buying a Zhonya's Hourglass at 41 minutes for some reason.

I think I'd probably have still preferred to just ff@20 when we were down like 18-9 in kills and 4-1 in towers.

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

Zhonya's is a pretty hilarious last item on Lee Sin.

And by hilarious I mean really loving frustrating.

henkman
Oct 8, 2008
A lot of "lost" games are winnable, a lot of the also aren't worth the effort

Tonetta
Jul 9, 2013

look mother look at ME MOTHER MOTHER I AM A HOMESTIXK NOW

**methodically removes and eats own clothes*
Lmao at riot barely wanting to pay half of the industry standard for their casters. What happened to this company?

Spudalicious
Dec 24, 2003

I <3 Alton Brown.

henkman posted:

A lot of "lost" games are winnable, a lot of the also aren't worth the effort

I don't mind when people want to try to win a losing match, as long as I'm doing okay and not totally useless. Otherwise gently caress that, you had better surrender or I'm reporting your toxic rear end.

BigLeafyTree
Oct 21, 2010

Fluffdaddy posted:

it doesn't help that every person who makes newbie guides on youtube tells people to never surrender because you never know! Which is bullshit because being down 15 kills at 25 minutes and missing an inhib means the game is over unless you somehow manage to drag that poo poo on 40 more minutes trying to poorly backdoor.

New players may not have the best sense for when a game is winnable or a completely beyond hope disaster, and playing out games is a good learning experience. I don't mind surrendering games that are beyond salvation barring the leading team AFKing for 10 minutes, but some people seem to only want to play if they're winning and torpedo morale by spamming surrender and complaining otherwise.

MinionOfCthulhu
Oct 28, 2005

I got this title for free due to my proximity to an idiot who wanted to save $5 on an avatar by having someone else spend $9.95 instead.
Sol looks kinda fun and is all sorts of sassy.

Sexpansion
Mar 22, 2003

DELETED

Tonetta posted:

Lmao at riot barely wanting to pay half of the industry standard for their casters. What happened to this company?

There are good and bad things about them completely controlling the casting/production market for their pro scene, and that's one of the bad things. But don't worry. Reddit will throw a hissy fit and doa and monte will be on the desk.

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Tonetta posted:

That's actually kinda sad I like the OGN casters

Libertine
Jun 21, 2004

When I die, I hope they say I made the eSports industry a better place than I made millions of dollars.

Lady Naga posted:

I don't mind when people hit no on a surrender vote but when they just sit there and stare at the button until the timer runs out it makes me irrationally upset

This is what I do 90% of the time. Riot can leave surrendering in the game as an option but I prefer just pretending it doesn't exist. I'd rather concentrate on playing even a losing game than on people trying to politically marshal the votes for a surrender in chat. If the rest of the team votes it 4-0 we can surrender.

Lady Naga
Apr 25, 2008

Voyons Donc!

Libertine posted:

This is what I do 90% of the time. Riot can leave surrendering in the game as an option but I prefer just pretending it doesn't exist. I'd rather concentrate on playing even a losing game than on people trying to politically marshal the votes for a surrender in chat. If the rest of the team votes it 4-0 we can surrender.

then just hit the no button it takes literally half a second and its not "breaking your concentration"

Corbeau
Sep 13, 2010

Jack of All Trades

Tonetta posted:

Suddenly I understand why we're stuck with Rivington.

Fluffdaddy
Jan 3, 2009

BigLeafyTree posted:

New players may not have the best sense for when a game is winnable or a completely beyond hope disaster, and playing out games is a good learning experience. I don't mind surrendering games that are beyond salvation barring the leading team AFKing for 10 minutes, but some people seem to only want to play if they're winning and torpedo morale by spamming surrender and complaining otherwise.

That's all fine and good, but if you are new, you are probably not good enough to reverse a losing game. And its one thing if the vote is 1/4 because someone is rage surrendering. But being the one hold out in a 3/2 game is dumb because that means over half your team has given up and if you were good enough to drag around 4 corpses you wouldn't be in bronze in the first place.

New people understand if no one on their team has a positive score and are down multiple towers to none that the game will take 50+ minutes of unbearable slog to turn around. It is all about time investment over results.

Sexpansion
Mar 22, 2003

DELETED

Corbeau posted:

Suddenly I understand why we're stuck with Rivington.

Safety Scissors
Feb 21, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Fluffdaddy posted:

That's all fine and good, but if you are new, you are probably not good enough to reverse a losing game. And its one thing if the vote is 1/4 because someone is rage surrendering. But being the one hold out in a 3/2 game is dumb because that means over half your team has given up and if you were good enough to drag around 4 corpses you wouldn't be in bronze in the first place.

New people understand if no one on their team has a positive score and are down multiple towers to none that the game will take 50+ minutes of unbearable slog to turn around. It is all about time investment over results.

For normals it's probably better to surrender, but anyone who's really interested in getting a higher rank should always slog it out.

Libertine
Jun 21, 2004

When I die, I hope they say I made the eSports industry a better place than I made millions of dollars.

Lady Naga posted:

then just hit the no button it takes literally half a second and its not "breaking your concentration"

So you're saying I should just throw my vote away?

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Libertine posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rAT_BuJAI70

The Mash
Feb 17, 2007

You have to say I can open my presents

Libertine posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rAT_BuJAI70

E: gently caress

Fluffdaddy
Jan 3, 2009

Safety Scissors posted:

For normals it's probably better to surrender, but anyone who's really interested in getting a higher rank should always slog it out.

Why?

Libertine
Jun 21, 2004

Sometimes you gotta choose something other than Surrender [Yes] or Surrender [No], sometimes you gotta choose not to choose because there are no reasons.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Naf_WiEb9Qs

The heavy drug use and 5v5 hooligan soccer match in this scene actually pretty accurately represents a game of League.

Safety Scissors
Feb 21, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

It's better to win one game in 50+ minutes, than to lose and win one in the same amount of time.

Luna Was Here
Mar 21, 2013

Lipstick Apathy

Tonetta posted:

Apparently $8k per caster is way to much money

Lex Neville
Apr 15, 2009

Fluffdaddy posted:

That's all fine and good, but if you are new, you are probably not good enough to reverse a losing game.

When you're new, the people you play against are also absolutely poo poo at closing a game out regardless of gold difference or pressure. In fact, I'd say about 20-30% of games that should be absolutely unwinnable 'even' in low diamond manage to be thrown solely because of failure to recognise how to win.

That's not to say that I don't vote to FF when I feel the opposing team will close the game out, but at the end of the day everyone is loving garbage at this game and games are still thrown at the highest levels of play. Calling a game genuinely unwinnable is generally overestimating the enemy's ability to throw their lead.

Fluffdaddy posted:

Which is bullshit because being down 15 kills at 25 minutes and missing an inhib means the game is over unless you somehow manage to drag that poo poo on 40 more minutes trying to poorly backdoor.

Also this is a gross exaggeration. Being down 15 kills at 25 minutes is hardly insurmountable and, if anything, stopping a siege with one downed inhibitor at 25 minutes is much easier than doing so at 40 minutes.

Lex Neville fucked around with this message at 22:17 on Mar 23, 2016

The Mash
Feb 17, 2007

You have to say I can open my presents
I just locked Nunu mid in a gold 1 ranked and noone on my team said a word, except one person asking what bloodboil did

curiousCat
Sep 23, 2012

Does this look like the face of mercy, kupo?

The Mash posted:

I just locked Nunu mid in a gold 1 ranked and noone on my team said a word, except one person asking what bloodboil did

Sometimes I have hope for the community

blah_blah
Apr 15, 2006

Hermetic posted:

She's always pretty high up there, but every patch it seems that there's one or two junglers that you have to pick/ban. She rotated up to that this patch, I mean.

Sorry if that wasn't clear before.

Nidalee has been pick/ban in competitive basically since the season started. Stop posting, you have no loving clue what you're talking about.

Lex Neville
Apr 15, 2009
I would like to go on the record to say that blah_blah started it this time!!

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Grimey Drawer
Nidale is really boring to watch in pro play because yes I know there is a bunch of other poo poo going on but it's basically "nid coming in for a gank...missed her spear nvm"

Hermetic
Sep 7, 2007

by exmarx

Sexpansion posted:

I like having surrender as an option even if some babies occasionally surrender games they shouldn't.

Yeah, it's nice to have an out when the game is lost, but I do hate that moment when the midlaner loses lane, rages, threatens to feed, and everyone just FFs except you. Especially when you've won your lane.

blah_blah
Apr 15, 2006

Kashuno posted:

Nidale is really boring to watch in pro play because yes I know there is a bunch of other poo poo going on but it's basically "nid coming in for a gank...missed her spear nvm"

I kind of like the part where she gets 43 pounce resets in a row and clears her jungle twice as fast as the opposing jungler.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Transient People
Dec 22, 2011

"When a man thinketh on anything whatsoever, his next thought after is not altogether so casual as it seems to be. Not every thought to every thought succeeds indifferently."
- Thomas Hobbes, Leviathan

blah_blah posted:

I kind of like the part where she gets 43 pounce resets in a row and clears her jungle twice as fast as the opposing jungler.

So long as Nid's Q keeps doing any sort of major poke damage, she'll be a stupid and unfun champion to fight. I wish they would just change Q spear to also be an execute ability like her cougar Q, I would have no issues with her at that point.

• Locked thread