Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Oiled and Ready
Oct 11, 2004

He wished it could be as respectable and orthodox as spying. But somehow in his hands the traditional tools and attitudes were always employed toward mean ends: cloak for a laundry sack, dagger to peel potatoes, dossiers to fill up dead Sunday afternoons ...

nachos posted:

I don't get what Kasich is doing and how he has money to support it. Who the hell is funding him at this point.

...Trump?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pathetic little tramp
Dec 12, 2005

by Hillary Clinton's assassins
Fallen Rib

nachos posted:

I don't get what Kasich is doing and how he has money to support it. Who the hell is funding him at this point.

It's pretty mid-boggling. He may be able to win Pennsylvania if the stars align, but there's literally nowhere else he'll even get so much as a delegate. Maybe Rhode Island will chuck one his way? Like, he has to realise in a brokered convention the last thing they want to do is put Kasich in the spot. They'd go with Paul Ryan before him.

white sauce
Apr 29, 2012

by R. Guyovich

Shageletic posted:

So how many dastardly Muslims make up a ton again? 2000? There are several hundred thousand in Belgium, I wonder why no one noticed that a good chunk of the country was in on the plan.

No one said anything about dastardly- just that people were housing and feeding these terrorists, either witting or unwittingly. I don't think it's an outlandish concept.

Venom Snake
Feb 19, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo

Tight Booty Shorts posted:

I'm being 100% serious- many people are helping these terrorists. Housing and feeding them.

I don't think this in the same league as other crazy poo poo that Trump has said.

These terrorists house and feed themselves, as they tend to be more well off than the average person.

QuoProQuid
Jan 12, 2012

Tr*ckin' and F*ckin' all the way to tha
T O P

zoux posted:

I support Kasich's efforts to ensure Donald Trump reaches 1237.

I was skeptical at first, but it looks increasingly like Kasich is making a play for the Vice President slot in Trump's campaign and wants to use his delegates as a bargaining chip.

If Trump comes up short of 1237, then Trump either has to bribe a lot of unpledged delegates before the Convention or buddy up with Kasich. The latter is going to be a lot easier, as Kasich seems to view himself in almost messianic terms and would want to raise his profile for a run in 2020 or 2024.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

I'm being 100% serious- many people are helping these terrorists. Housing and feeding them.

I don't think this in the same league as other crazy poo poo that Trump has said.

What's many? Give me a number. You can do this.

EDIT: I believe in you Tight Booty Shorts

white sauce
Apr 29, 2012

by R. Guyovich

Venom Snake posted:

These terrorists house and feed themselves, as they tend to be more well off than the average person.

Oh word? Alright glad to know you've figured out all the connections and networks the terrorists had in Belgium.

white sauce
Apr 29, 2012

by R. Guyovich

Shageletic posted:

What's many? Give me a number. You can do this.

More than 0. Less than 2 billion, for sure.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

More than 0. Less than 2 billion, for sure.

Hmmm yes insightful. I see why you've posted five times in two pages. You're bringing alot to the thread.

oystertoadfish
Jun 17, 2003

Dapper_Swindler posted:

cruz and trump seem to be in a race to see who can lose the most of the non-white/male electorate.

a few years ago, one of the stories i was looking forward to seeing play out in this campaign was to what degree the gop would be able to control its message in the primary. the consensus in 2012, i think, was that by having all these "let them die" "self-deportation" type moments in the primary they were simultaneously digging a hole with the general electorate and creating a bigger base enthusiasm problem for themselves when it came time to change their messaging for the general. the thought was that by reducing the number of debates and insurgent-proofing the delegate allocation process they could avoid a competitive primary where each candidate kept trying to outflank their opponents on the right. Donald Trump took an ied to the insurgent-proofed primary process and he and Cruz have been flanking rightward like the Schlieffen plan

basically everything the gop thought they had learned in 2012 was wrong, their base broke out of the holding pens and is running amok, and aside from this intermediary stage where we see if the party fractures even more than it already has in the final stages of the primary, the big question is whether something similar is going to happen to the general electorate. if Bernie was winning and Bloomberg was in the race i might be buying that - so far I'm not really seeing it

i think the dynamics of the gop primary are forcing them to move so far right in response to terrorism that they're outpacing the general public's own rightward shift and creating pr problems for the nypd and others who really do violate Muslim civil liberties like they want them to, just kinda quietly. if they could just say "Democrats are weak on terror, let's continue the status quo with a few minor changes" like they tend to do on foreign policy they'd have a guaranteed winning point, but when they need to satisfy the purity trolls of the right they leave the authoritarian centrist ground open for Democrats. if there was an equivalent pull to the left in the Democratic primary then Hillary couldn't take advantage, but i don't think there is.

i dunno, that's kinda rambling but i think there are some testable predictions in there - the public will respond to terrorism by shifting rightward, the gop will scare a lot of rightward moving centrists off by forcing people like the nypd to push back, and Clinton will say milquetoast things that have the support of law enforcement, pissing off liberals at little cost. we'll see how much of that poo poo happens, if any

Venom Snake
Feb 19, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo

Oh word? Alright glad to know you've figured out all the connections and networks the terrorists had in Belgium.

How do you propose to enforce a community reporting system? What punishments are reserved collectively for community's were a terrorist hailed from?

Typo
Aug 19, 2009

Chernigov Military Aviation Lyceum
The Fighting Slowpokes

QuoProQuid posted:

If Trump comes up short of 1237, then Trump either has to bribe a lot of unpledged delegates before the Convention or buddy up with Kasich. The latter is going to be a lot easier, as Kasich seems to view himself in almost messianic terms and would want to raise his profile for a run in 2020 or 2024.

This reminds me of all those times when big huge external threat is coming to destroy a country but its politicians are too easy squabbling over their bullshit to unite against them. Thus dooming them all in the end

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

:dogbutton:

quote:

On Fox & Friends Wednesday morning, presidential candidate Sen. Ted Cruz (R-TX) claimed that the United States has “never engaged in torture.”

“America has never engaged in torture and we’re not about to,”
Cruz responded after being asked whether he would engage in torture, enhanced interrogation, and waterboarding by the show’s three hosts.

Fritz Coldcockin
Nov 7, 2005

He doesn't consider waterboarding torture--so that's how he'll get around it.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Venom Snake posted:

How do you propose to enforce a community reporting system? What punishments are reserved collectively for community's were a terrorist hailed from?

What I'm most worried about is his numbering seems to be declining from "tons" to "many" to "people". He's going to have to post quick or he might just backpedal through zero into the negative zone, turning this entire thread irrational .

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

I'm sorry but the death count was barely above Newtown, which was not only on US soil but was a bunch of little kids being gunned down. If no legislative action is called for in the wake of that then I am afraid people should just shut their drat mouths about this and security measures

XK
Jul 9, 2001

Star Citizen is everywhere. It is all around us. Even now, in this very room. You can see it's fidelity when you look out your window or when you watch youtube

pathetic little tramp posted:

It's pretty mid-boggling. He may be able to win Pennsylvania if the stars align, but there's literally nowhere else he'll even get so much as a delegate. Maybe Rhode Island will chuck one his way? Like, he has to realise in a brokered convention the last thing they want to do is put Kasich in the spot. They'd go with Paul Ryan before him.

If you look at the county results in the OH election, literally every county bordering PA was a Kasich loss. There is no way anybody but Trump wins the primary in PA unless Trump implodes by himself. Nobody in PA gives a poo poo about Kasich.

Venom Snake
Feb 19, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo
Even from a practical standpoint community punishment makes no sense because historically it hasn't been productive to reducing terrorism.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Typo posted:

This reminds me of all those times when big huge external threat is coming to destroy a country but its politicians are too easy squabbling over their bullshit to unite against them. Thus dooming them all in the end

Another occasion when a man in gold heralded change.

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

Not a single fucking olive in sight
Personally I just think it is terrible that political correctness has brought us to the point where you can't even suggest muslim police state ghettos without people getting all worked up about it.

white sauce
Apr 29, 2012

by R. Guyovich

Venom Snake posted:

Who the gently caress is talking about community reporting systems? When did "terrorists are receiving support from their communities" get changed to "we must monitor Muslim communities and develop punishments for any deviation"

Top Bunk Wanker
Jan 31, 2005

Top Trump Anger

This is the point Trump made with the line about going after families, but what people in this thread have chosen to believe (with lots of group reinforcement) is that Trump wants to murder completely innocent women and children indiscriminately. If you're the most wanted man in the European Union and you manage to hide out in the city that hosts the headquarters of NATO for four months, you had help, and that help is just as guilty.

white sauce
Apr 29, 2012

by R. Guyovich

Shageletic posted:

What I'm most worried about is his numbering seems to be declining from "tons" to "many" to "people". He's going to have to post quick or he might just backpedal through zero into the negative zone, turning this entire thread irrational .

:allears: tell me more about how I worry you

white sauce
Apr 29, 2012

by R. Guyovich

Top Bunk Wanker posted:

This is the point Trump made with the line about going after families, but what people in this thread have chosen to believe (with lots of group reinforcement) is that Trump wants to murder completely innocent women and children indiscriminately. If you're the most wanted man in the European Union and you manage to hide out in the city that hosts the headquarters of NATO for four months, you had help, and that help is just as guilty.

You're insane.

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=l-918fzuZp4

Cruz was on Oreily and said he believes he will win New York and California. :lol

I highly recommend watching the full thing as Bill clearly doesn't want the Cruz bullshit he gives in every interview

Mr Ice Cream Glove fucked around with this message at 20:26 on Mar 23, 2016

XK
Jul 9, 2001

Star Citizen is everywhere. It is all around us. Even now, in this very room. You can see it's fidelity when you look out your window or when you watch youtube

Epic High Five posted:

I'm sorry but the death count was barely above Newtown, which was not only on US soil but was a bunch of little kids being gunned down. If no legislative action is called for in the wake of that then I am afraid people should just shut their drat mouths about this and security measures

That was an autistic, heavily mentally ill, young twenty-something, doing it because *reasons*. If it were a deliberate act by a purposefully driven Muslim, there would've been nationwide outrage at both the religion and any middle-eastern looking race. If it were any kind of immigrant, let alone a middle-eastern immigrant, poo poo would've definitely gone down in either legislature or administration.

Montasque
Jul 18, 2003

Living in a hateful world sending me straight to Heaven
Sean Hannity is saying that a very prominent Republican Governor told him in confidence that the GOPe plan is to torpedo Trump and Cruz at the convention and put in Paul Ryan.

InsanityIsCrazy
Jan 25, 2003

by Lowtax

Montasque posted:

Sean Hannity is saying that a very prominent Republican Governor told him in confidence that the GOPe plan is to torpedo Trump and Cruz at the convention and put in Paul Ryan.

Was it Gov. Goldfinger?

Venom Snake
Feb 19, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo

Who the gently caress is talking about community reporting systems? When did "terrorists are receiving support from their communities" get changed to "we must monitor Muslim communities and develop punishments for any deviation"

I assumed if you think it's a problem that you thought it might need addressing. Historically the train of thought for "they are only able to do this because of their communities" leads to collective punishment.

Top Bunk Wanker posted:

This is the point Trump made with the line about going after families, but what people in this thread have chosen to believe (with lots of group reinforcement) is that Trump wants to murder completely innocent women and children indiscriminately.

He has repeatedly said we should do so and not care because ISIS does it up and to including "evening the field" with torture.

Montasque
Jul 18, 2003

Living in a hateful world sending me straight to Heaven

InsanityIsCrazy posted:

Was it Gov. Goldfinger?

Knowing the crowd Hannity hangs with it was most likely his buddy Scott Walker.

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

Mr Ice Cream Glove posted:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=l-918fzuZp4

Cruz was on Oreily and said he believes he will win New York. :lol:

In all fairness to Cruz he sincerely believes all sorts of really stupid things.

burnishedfume
Mar 8, 2011

You really are a louse...

Montasque posted:

On the one hand, there is no way that's true, Paul Ryan getting the nomination would kill the Republicans especially if Trump ran independent.

On the other hand, chaos reigns.

white sauce
Apr 29, 2012

by R. Guyovich

:allears: nice bro, you probably know about what they say when you assume things.

TheGreyGhost
Feb 14, 2012

“Go win the Heimlich Trophy!”

Montasque posted:

John Kasich is technically prominent at this point, yeah.

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

Montasque posted:

That is probably the plan for a lot of the GOP to be honest but I doubt Paul would even take the nomination if it was offered, it would be career suicide.

XK
Jul 9, 2001

Montasque posted:

Upon hearing this news, Paul Ryan is currently trying to find some way into the federal witness protection program.

Venom Snake
Feb 19, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo

:allears: nice bro, you probably know about what they say when you assume things.

This isn't addressing the fact that you think it's an issue but also don't think that we should do something about it, or that again historically the train of thought your employing leads to collective punishment.

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

...but then you get to the end and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you!
Grimey Drawer
I can't wait to read the books that will be written about this cycle

Fritz Coldcockin
Nov 7, 2005

Montasque posted:

His source was John Kasich, wasn't it?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Venom Snake
Feb 19, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo

Monkey Fracas posted:

I can't wait to read the books that will be written about this cycle

But you can already read The Art of the Deal.

I'm not joking btw since more than half the book is just trump bragging about DEALS which sums up 90% of his speeches and policy platform.

• Locked thread