Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
My Linux Rig
Mar 27, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 6 years!

Shaggar posted:

osx is a giant turd. I just want to add some 802.1x settings to this el crapitan mac and apparently those settings were removed from the ui in order to get you to install the worthless osx server.

is there a Linux way to do it from the command line or am I gonna have to find a way to generate a profile for this piece of poo poo?

lol nope u screwed

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
Linux is the worst. how do people use this on a daily basis?

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

u should stick with windows, much better choice for technophobic users

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
like the exact thing I want to do apparently was litterrallly one button in previous versions of osx Linux but now its gone cause apple.

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

Stux posted:

u should stick with windows, much better choice for technophobic users

technophobic would imply theres a technical solution here but there isn't. osx is trash made by idiots

HAIL eSATA-n
Apr 7, 2007

why are you idiots arguing about iOS ad blockers when I already told you the best one is free

hurr durr use 1blockr powered by ads.com it's only $not zero dollars like the good one someone already mentioned

HAIL eSATA-n
Apr 7, 2007

now I just have to sit back and wait for that sweet referral money :getin:

PleasureKevin
Jan 2, 2011

we truly live in some dark times

Israeli mobile software developer Cellebrite is helping the FBI in its attempt to unlock the iPhone at the center of the San Bernardino shooter investigation.

That's according to a story filed by Reuters this morning, based on a report in Wednesday's copy of Israeli daily newspaper Yedioth Ahronoth. If the software company succeeds then the FBI will no longer need the help of Apple, the report claimed, citing unnamed industry sources.

Source: http://www.macrumors.com/2016/03/23/fbi-israeli-firm-cellebrite-to-unlock-iphone/

Cellebrite, the developer and manufacturer of world-leading mobile forensic solutions, has rejected claims in the recent WikiLeaks "Spy Files" exposé that it is among companies that develop and supply equipment to governments and dictators "to spy on their citizens via mobile devices and computers."

The WikiLeaks page referring to Cellebrite states: "The Spy Files (open) thousands of pages and other materials exposing the global mass surveillance industry."

Source: http://www.prnewswire.com/news-releases/cellebrites-response-to-wikileaks-135175848.html

In April 2011, the Michigan chapter of the American Civil Liberties Union questioned whether Michigan State Police (MSP) troopers were using Cellebrite UFEDs to conduct unlawful searches of citizens' cell phones.[25] Following its refusal to grant the MCLU's 2008 Freedom of Information Act request unless the organization paid $544,000 to retrieve the reports, MSP issued a statement claiming that it honored the Fourth Amendment in searching mobile devices.[26]

Source: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cellebrite#Controversy

thank you apple for not being part of the global mass surveillance industry

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

zen death robot posted:

the free market works

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Perplx posted:

also you need 64bits for snapchat filters, which in 2016 are an integral part of hookup culture

get a new phone echi if not for your eyes then for your sex life

are you sure? I thought you could on a 5?

anyway snapchat is integral but not the filters.. trust me ;)

Perplx
Jun 26, 2004

Best viewed on Orgasma Plasma
Lipstick Apathy
i guess it does work on a 5, i know it doesn't work on 4s so that's a really arbitrary cutoff

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
its something to do with the camera and zooming or something?

cremnob
Jun 30, 2010

apple is building their own servers

http://9to5mac.com/2016/03/23/apple-cloud-infrastructure-servers-snooping/

quote:

At least part of the driver for this is to ensure that the servers are secure. Apple has long suspected that servers it ordered from the traditional supply chain were intercepted during shipping, with additional chips and firmware added to them by unknown third parties in order to make them vulnerable to infiltration, according to a person familiar with the matter. At one point, Apple even assigned people to take photographs of motherboards and annotate the function of each chip, explaining why it was supposed to be there. Building its own servers with motherboards it designed would be the most surefire way for Apple to prevent unauthorized snooping via extra chips.

cremnob
Jun 30, 2010

lol. cant wait for apple to dump intel into the trash

http://arstechnica.com/information-technology/2016/03/intel-retires-tick-tock-development-model-extending-the-life-of-each-process/

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

𝓪 𝓻𝓮𝓭 𝓹𝓪𝓷𝓭𝓪 𝓲𝓼 𝓪 𝓬𝓾𝓻𝓲𝓸𝓾𝓼 𝓼𝓸𝓻𝓽 𝓸𝓯 𝓬𝓻𝓮𝓪𝓽𝓾𝓻𝓮
long live Xserve

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Spinyahahahahahahahahahahahaha!

Doctor Rope

what is apple's stance on chemtrails and water fluoridation

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

whoa, what just happened here?

College Slice

Wheany posted:

How about vaccinations

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

the snooping stuff is gonna be inside the chips they think are ok. also apple EFI is a shitshow so you can just put it all there and apple wont notice or be able to fix it.

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
they use a hosed up early fork of EFI. it might be 1.1 idk but its missing a lot of security fixes from the main line.

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Spinyahahahahahahahahahahahaha!

Doctor Rope
see this photo of a motherboard

looks pretty normal, right?

what if we enhance the contrast:

what are those hidden components on the battery and the ethernet port that i have highlighted in magenta

also i think that's electromagnetic data leaking from the board circled in red?

LUBE UP YOUR BUTT
Jun 30, 2008

Wheany posted:

lol the nsa has literally been doing this kinda poo poo for a while now

http://arstechnica.com/tech-policy/2014/05/photos-of-an-nsa-upgrade-factory-show-cisco-router-getting-implant/

http://foreignpolicy.com/2013/10/15/the-nsas-new-code-breakers/

quote:

Over time, TAO has become increasingly accomplished at its mission, thanks in part to the high-level cooperation that it secretly receives from the "big three" American telecommunications companies (AT&T, Verizon, and Sprint), most of the large U.S.-based Internet service providers, and many of the top computer security software manufacturers and consulting companies. According to a February 2012 budget document published this year by ProPublica, these companies "Insert vulnerabilities into commercial encryption systems, IT systems, networks, and endpoint communications devices used by targets" on behalf of TAO.

considering apples stance on helping the government defeat its own security features this doesn't seem to be too out of left field. now illegal widespread domestic surveillance.. that'd be crazy!

LUBE UP YOUR BUTT fucked around with this message at 22:30 on Mar 23, 2016

Juul-Whip
Mar 10, 2008

they need to create the baseband in-house too. i don't trust qualcomm in the slightest

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

am i imagining it or has the siri double-vibration gotten a bit quicker in 9.3

theultimo
Aug 2, 2004

An RSS feed bot who makes questionable purchasing decisions.
Pillbug

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

lets not lie, we already know you've put nsa loggers on the servers

stop discrediting apple

El Mero Mero
Oct 13, 2001

zen death robot posted:

tims insaninty is going to make apple go broke by manufacturing everything including the office furniture in-house

design people love making chairs I'm sure Tim's people would happily pivot the company into a home furnishings store

poty
Jun 21, 2008

虹はどこで終わるのですか? あなたの魂の中で、または地平線で?

THC posted:

they need to create the baseband in-house too. i don't trust qualcomm in the slightest

its been reported theyre working on it. maybe theyll put them on the 7

also expect endless whining about it every time someones wifi connection drops

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

whoa, what just happened here?

College Slice

zen death robot posted:

i didn't have to, they swapped out chips on the vm hosts and router cards so that everything is auto-redirected to their datacetner in utah

it's out of my hands

I saw this in this excellent documentary called Deus Ex

It checks out

Bobby Digital
Sep 4, 2009

El Mero Mero posted:

design people love making chairs I'm sure Tim's people would happily pivot the company into a home furnishings store

a minimalist ikea aesthetic but everything is rose gold

Hemick
Mar 4, 2007

Bobby Digital posted:

a minimalist ikea aesthetic but everything is rose gold

clearly someone's got the inside track on the SPACESHIP

Locker Room Zubaz
Aug 8, 2006

:horse:
~*~THE SECRET OF THE MAGICAL CRYSTALS IS THAT I'M FUCKING TERRIBLE~*~

Apple is pretty cool and I am a big fan of the new Apple TV

Locker Room Zubaz
Aug 8, 2006

~*~THE SECRET OF THE MAGICAL CRYSTALS IS THAT I'M FUCKING TERRIBLE~*~

I want a Sling TV app so I can ditch cable and get the full poo poo TV experience

BONGHITZ
Jan 1, 1970

apple is the best company who makes the best consumer products

Gynocentric Regime
Jun 9, 2010

by Cyrano4747

Locker Room Zubaz posted:

I want a Sling TV app so I can ditch cable and get the full poo poo TV experience

Hey apropos, Planet Money has an episode of why cord cutting is stupid millennial bullshit.

http://www.npr.org/sections/money/2016/03/23/471633490/episode-691-the-great-unbundling

BONGHITZ
Jan 1, 1970

haha npr, haha

big shtick energy
May 27, 2004

poty posted:

its been reported theyre working on it. maybe theyll put them on the 7

also expect endless whining about it every time someones wifi connection drops

okay but how does that help if the NSA actually tries

you make every single chip and piece of firmware in-house, well whoops cadence got a national security letter and your EDA tools are compromised and inserting extra stuff during synthesis

or they could just get one NSA person into one of the thousands of chip design positions that would have to exist

there is no technical solution to the NSA problem

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
I know you know how to do this.
Get up.

Mulva posted:

Hey apropos, Planet Money has an episode of why cord cutting is stupid millennial bullshit.

http://www.npr.org/sections/money/2016/03/23/471633490/episode-691-the-great-unbundling
Planet Money is gutter trash

big shtick energy
May 27, 2004

JAY ZERO SUM GAME posted:

Planet Money is gutter trash

when they get interviews that show how stuff you've never heard of works, it's good

when they uncritically parrot Russ Roberts, it's not good

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

Mulva posted:

oh cool, Planet Money, the show where 24 year olds call and ask what they should invest their ~15K in disposable income a month in

I definitely can relate to the target audience for that show

• Locked thread