Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Gozinbulx
Feb 19, 2004
Yeah I don't know where I would rank it in the pantheon of VOD Rifftrax but the movie was a bizzare mix of ok....? production with an absolutely incomprehensble story/script which is rendered FURTHER incomprehensible by the parts there whey're like "hey, bored yet? have THIS loving weird, completely unrelated, unexplained scene *cue lionhead bat, human sacrifice and ogre marriage*"

So in that sense it was quite amusing cause it takes effort to make a movie so muddled. The riffing was pretty on-par, though keeping in theme, the funniest parts were when they expressed how utterly baffled they were by the whole thing (which, coincidentally, where always my favorite parts of MST3K).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ACRE & EQUAT
Aug 28, 2004

FUNERAL BREADS
WAR BREAD
I really like the short Phoebe and wish they would release alt audio tracks of the shorts

TVs Ian
Jun 1, 2000

Such graceful, delicate creatures.
Huh, the bad guy in Wizards of the Lost Kingdom was the same actor from Deathstalker and the Warriors from Hell, and I'm like 90% sure I just heard some of the same music, too.

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
These are courtesy of the weird headline thread. They look like promo stills for Rollergater 2

(Full gallery: http://www.orlandosentinel.com/features/gone-viral/os-florida-woman-pet-gator-20160314-story.html)

Xylorjax
Nov 27, 2002

Nope. Too realistic. Not nearly enough like a lovely puppet. And there's a complete absence of Dante from Clerks.

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
Oh "Pheobe". I get that you're trying to tell a meaningful story that relates to the kids but...no. I don't even feel mad at the director or the cast or the writers. Just a combination of sadness, resignation, and pity.

Edit: It feels like this movie could have been very good if they only made marginal improvements to everything.

Edit 2: I can't watch this movie for more than a few minutes at a time without thinking about small tweaks that would have made the movie better.

When Paul plays the piano like he's rusty at least have him play an enjoyable song on it. And when he gets up from the piano make it more relaxed and natural. It's not like he's Batman and he just saw the bat signal.

Have the Pheobe be the one making the cowboy comments on the way to the beach. That would show that she has moods other than angst, would show that she could relax around Paul and have fun around him, etc.

No closeup shots of peoples nostrils for half a minute.

You know what, just ignore that. I'm treating the movie as if it was being told in a roughly linear fashion and it's definitely not.

RandomPauI fucked around with this message at 08:05 on Mar 18, 2016

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

What's the deal with Supersonic Man? Like, who was that movie for?

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011
Lying liars who lie, I think.

RoyKeen
Jul 24, 2007

Grimey Drawer

muscles like this? posted:

Cameron Mitchell completists.

TVs Ian
Jun 1, 2000

Such graceful, delicate creatures.

It was released a year after the Superman movie, so it pretty much falls under "knockoff made by people that didn't understand why the original was good." Same director as Pod People, which turned from horror movie to E.T. knockoff halfway through writing it.

It was apparently also an Italian/Spanish co-production, so I guess "Europeans" is also in the target audience description somewhere.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

From stuff I've heard on the topic of bad movies, Italian cinema at the time was driven by a large push of "see what was just successful elsewhere, make something like it as soon as possible and for as cheap as possible".

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

It's funny how the "Supersonic Man" theme kept on almost infringing on the Superman theme but would turn away at the last second.

2DCAT
Jun 25, 2015

pissssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss ssssssss sssssssssssssssssss sssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss ssssss ssssssssssssssssssssssssssss sssssssssssssss

Gravy Boat 2k

Kojiro posted:

Wizards of the Lost Kingdom? Seems to have vanished from the site for some reason, shame since I was going there to buy it.

I'm pretty saddened that I didn't buy this on the Friday it came out, like I usually do.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

I've been watching the stuff they have on Hulu and Tourist Trap sure is a stupid movie. It should have been a supernatural thriller or a serial killer movie, both just seemed kind of overblown.

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer

I've been watching the stuff they have on Hulu and Tourist Trap sure is a stupid movie. It should have been a supernatural thriller or a serial killer movie, both just seemed kind of overblown.

So if I understand what you said and what a plot summary says, the guy turns people into mannequins who are dead, but uses his psychic powers to make them move again even though they're dead? Or does he briefly bring them back entirely to life?

Edit: I just realized that I could check clips from rifftrax to see what it was like and wow...the wikipedia article makes it sound like a much more interesting movie than it looks. Which is saying something.

RandomPauI fucked around with this message at 05:39 on Mar 20, 2016

Vicissitude
Jan 26, 2004

You ever do the chicken dance at a wake? That really bothers people.
I think it was more along the lines of Slawson was bonkers and a good craftsman. Anything 'supernatural' could be seen through the eyes of people in pure terror not noticing what was really causing poo poo to fly around. I mean, our main character, such as she was, had to have been a little unhinged herself. The whole series of events drove her completely around the bend, but she's sort of an unreliable narrator for much of the movie.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose
I think the nonsensical ending happened because it was a lovely, incoherent movie made by an incompetent creep who had issues with women.

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer

Vicissitude posted:

I think it was more along the lines of Slawson was bonkers and a good craftsman. Anything 'supernatural' could be seen through the eyes of people in pure terror not noticing what was really causing poo poo to fly around. I mean, our main character, such as she was, had to have been a little unhinged herself. The whole series of events drove her completely around the bend, but she's sort of an unreliable narrator for much of the movie.

That reminds me of the movie The Orphanage where maybe there's a rational explanation, maybe there isn't!

There actually are four things without rational explanations, but they probably aren't the ones you think.

Getting people to accept someone could get away with mass murder counted on people handwaving mass murder away because orphans.

Why did the mass murderer wait until after the house was sold to try and remove the remains of the orphans?

Why would she meet with the new residents in the first place? If she wanted to remove the bones she could have found ways to do it without making her presence known and raising their suspicions.

Finally, how could a pensioner get the paperwork about someone else's adopted child in the year 2006? Record keepers actually cared a whole lot about personal privacy at that point.

RandomPauI fucked around with this message at 08:37 on Mar 20, 2016

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer

Really dumb kids.

Canned Panda
Jul 10, 2012

I can't stand the guys on the latest RiffTrax Presents.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Canned Panda posted:

I can't stand the guys on the latest RiffTrax Presents.

It's those two loser Brits, isn't it?

Why do they get more releases than Cole and Janet?

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
Which ones did Cole and Janet do?

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

RandomPauI posted:

They did that movie where Dennis Quaid is psychic rapist.

Meanwhile those fat bald English fucks have done more than one.

RoyKeen
Jul 24, 2007

Grimey Drawer

RandomPauI posted:

"Dreamscape" is one and it's pretty good. They did another one or two but I don't know their name.

Xylorjax
Nov 27, 2002

RandomPauI posted:

Dirty Dancing. The Lost Boys. Ghost.

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

Update on the Kickstarter, pretty good stretch rewards.

quote:

Stretch goal: More backers, more shorts!
Posted by RiffTrax: Mike, Bill & Kevin (Creator)

Howdy folks!

If there's one thing we get asked a lot, it's "Is corn grass?" (Answer: Yes.)

But the second most-asked question we're getting right now has to do with those elusive Stretch Rewards that have become par for the course with Kickstarter campaigns. Well, here's one now:

We realize there are lot of Kickstarter-ers who are discovering RiffTrax thanks to the #BringBackMST3K campaign, and we're thrilled to have you on board. So we thought it'd be fun to give away up to 10 of our most-loved shorts, including perennial favorites "Safety Woman", "What is Nothing?" and "This is Hormel" plus a few others we've carefully hand-selected from our catalog, including the mind-bending classroom-setting-up film "Setting Up a Room".

This means when we hit 3,600 backers, we'll add Safety Woman: In Danger Out of Doors for everyone, and then for every 100 new backers we gain, we'll add another classic short which EVERY BACKER AT EVERY LEVEL WILL GET FOR FREE. That's right, even if you only pledged $1, as we reach each new tier of backers, we'll give you an additional FREE short as a way of saying thanks:

IF WE REACH.. YOU'LL GET:
3,600 backers – Safety Woman: In Danger Out of Doors
3,700 backers – Love That Car!
3,800 backers – What is Nothing?
3,900 backers – Flying Saucer Mystery
4,000 backers – Life in the Suburbs
4,100 backers – Maintaining Classroom Discipline
4,200 backers – This is Hormel
4,300 backers – The Creeps Machine
4,400 backers – Danger: Keep Out
4,500 backers – Story-telling: Can You Tell it in Order?
4,600 backers – Setting Up a Room

If you've never experienced our Shorts, they're a great opportunity to give RiffTrax a try. And for those of you who have already enjoyed these bite-sized nuggets o'fun, please consider spreading the word and telling your MSTie friends who might not know about us. Not only will their contribution help us produce a huge, hilarious night of shorts in our MST3K Reunion Show, Time Chasers Live, AND up to two more shows, but they'll ALSO be getting a whole mess of digital downloads just for making a pledge - in addition to their selected reward!

While we're not benefiting directly from the MST3K Kickstarter campaign, we hope that MSTies from all over will join us in making Mystery Science History this year... AND get some hilarious shorts as our way of saying thank you.

We're also working on some other stretch goals, and hope to update soon. Thanks for your time!

yours in wisecrackery,

Bill, Mike and Kevin
Right now they have 3,583 backers.

(...I already have all of those...)

Ballz
Dec 16, 2003

it's mario time

Another interesting milestone: They just passed their previous record for most money raised in one of their kickstarters (their second kickstarter for Godzilla and Anaconda was their previous best at $265,911).

They also have more than two weeks left on their current campaign.

Guess there really are a lot of Time Chasers fans out there.

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

I'm guessing no acknowledgement at all from Joel still, right?

ringu0
Feb 24, 2013

IUG posted:

https://twitter.com/RiffTrax/status/712736355101450240

e: 3,600 backers – Safety Woman: In Danger Out of Doors
Next up: 3,700 backers – Love That Car!

ringu0 fucked around with this message at 22:05 on Mar 23, 2016

Ensign_Ricky
Jan 4, 2008

Daddy Warlord
of the
Children of the Corn

or something...

IUG posted:

Me too :(:hf::(

Ballz
Dec 16, 2003

it's mario time

For those of us who [legitimately] own the shorts, they'll give us credit instead. :)

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich

Ballz posted:

For those of us who [legitimately] own the shorts, they'll give us credit instead. :)

That's good and actually going to get me to pledge too. Much as I like to go the Live Shows, I have nobody to see them with, so I wait until the VoD version instead. At least this time they have the VoD for all the shows, unlike the last few kickstarters.

Ensign_Ricky
Jan 4, 2008

Daddy Warlord
of the
Children of the Corn

or something...

Ballz posted:

Oh, well that's okay then. :) Especially considering how lovely the loonie is right now.

thexerox123
Aug 17, 2007

Oh god, they've riffed Samurai Cop... I can't wait.

Drastic Actions
Apr 7, 2009

FUCK YOU!
GET PUMPED!
Nap Ghost

thexerox123 posted:

Oh god, they've riffed Samurai Cop... I can't wait.

This is another movie where you don't really need the commentary to enjoy it. But the sample looks good, so I'm in.

Wish they could do Hollywood Cop or Killing American Style, but I have a feeling the rape scenes in that probably means that won't happen :(

Leelee
Jul 31, 2012

Syntax Error
Okay, just watched William: From Georgia to Harlem.

What the hell were they trying to teach anyone?

Should I get Guy from Harlem as a follow up movie now?

RoyKeen
Jul 24, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Leelee posted:

...Should I get Guy from Harlem...?

The answer is always yes.

Jet Jaguar
Feb 12, 2006

Don't touch my bags if you please, Mr Customs Man.

The Ape of Naples posted:

Guy from Harlem! Has rust protection! Yeah!

Leelee
Jul 31, 2012

Syntax Error

The Ape of Naples posted:

Okay, bought!

Have to watch Samurai Cop first though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

flesh dance
May 6, 2009

Good move! That movie is a treasure